What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

We've cut the cable (1 Viewer)

My promotional period just ended. Got hit with a $180 bill. Mid level tv, hd dvr, no movie channels, middle Internet, basic phone. Not even caller ID.

Going to get a Roku and google phone. If only I could get YouTube on Roku.

OK, have been trying to convince my wife to cut the cable for a few months. Her hang up has been that I haven't found a way for her to watch the "Ellen" show. I have told her that we could place an antenna in the attic to get locals, but for some reason she isn't keen on doing that. So if anyone knows of another way for her to watch full length "Ellen" shows please let me know.

My main question is this, what can a Roku do that I am not able to do with a smart TV or even just my Xbox? I can do Netflix and HuluPlus through my xbox along with other channels. Are the additional channels you get with Roku worth it? :confused:

anyone notice that the netflix streaming options via roku are limited? i don't think i have the entire catalog available through Roku. i see there are some "browsers" available for purchase through through the channel store. Anyone try them yet? Are they not supported by Netflix?

Encouraged by its innovative new "pay-for-stuff" model introduced in 2010, Hulu is considering taking the next logical step by requiring users to have a subscription to a pay-cable service in order to access its content. It's a bold new spin on the increasingly outmoded design of free streaming that's known as "completely not-free streaming, because no one really makes money on that"—or "authentication" for short—that could be introduced within the next several years as part of the TV Everywhere initiative, which envisions an exciting future where TV is available everywhere, provided it's somewhere that connects to a cable box. The New York Post also says that both Fox and NBC are moving toward putting their own online content under authentication, speculating that these deals will "make cable companies happy because it could slow cord-cutting by making cable subscribing more attractive," primarily by offering no other viable legal alternative to watching cable TV. But Hulu, it adds, "could see its audience… shrink after authentication," probably because people fear change.

Encouraged by its innovative new "pay-for-stuff" model introduced in 2010, Hulu is considering taking the next logical step by requiring users to have a subscription to a pay-cable service in order to access its content. It's a bold new spin on the increasingly outmoded design of free streaming that's known as "completely not-free streaming, because no one really makes money on that"—or "authentication" for short—that could be introduced within the next several years as part of the TV Everywhere initiative, which envisions an exciting future where TV is available everywhere, provided it's somewhere that connects to a cable box. The New York Post also says that both Fox and NBC are moving toward putting their own online content under authentication, speculating that these deals will "make cable companies happy because it could slow cord-cutting by making cable subscribing more attractive," primarily by offering no other viable legal alternative to watching cable TV. But Hulu, it adds, "could see its audience… shrink after authentication," probably because people fear change.
Hulu sucks uranium miner stocks. I'm still really happy with Magicjack though. Has paid for itself months ago and I don't owe a dime for almost 5 years. :thumbup:

For NFL football-NFL rewind- $40 in season, $30 off season.

Watch every regular and post season game day after it airs.

I haven't had cable TV for decades.

I used to get the games from internet streaming but for $40

it wasn't worth the hassle. I don't own a TV. I use a TV tuner(Mac)

and the HD signal you get is better then cable or satellite.

Right now you can watch any regular and playoff game from

2009-2011. If your an FF geek the off season deal is a good way to

scout players for next year.

I can't go through all of this (feel free to point me in the direction of a post number), but I am considering an Apple TV or Roku or Slingbox to use with my iPad.

I have an iPad2 and would like to stream and play music. Should I just get the Apple TV? What's the advantage of getting the Roku?

Any info is appreciated.

Hulu sucks uranium miner stocks. I'm still really happy with Magicjack though. Has paid for itself months ago and I don't owe a dime for almost 5 years. :thumbup:
Most of the shows I liked on Hulu were only available on the web. Going t try a Tivo and decide between it and Roku. Any good web boxes?

Using the Xbox has been great for Euro 2012. I'm still very happy with my Xbox/Netflix/antenna combo. We'll see when the Olympics and NFL start up, though...

Most of the shows I liked on Hulu were only available on the web. Going t try a Tivo and decide between it and Roku. Any good web boxes?
Ordered a Boxee to see how it does too. There are opportunities for companies to design something that ties all these together-or many of them. So far I use mostly netflix on Roku.

For NFL football-NFL rewind- $40 in season, $30 off season. Watch every regular and post season game day after it airs. I haven't had cable TV for decades. I used to get the games from internet streaming but for $40 it wasn't worth the hassle. I don't own a TV. I use a TV tuner(Mac) and the HD signal you get is better then cable or satellite. Right now you can watch any regular and playoff game from 2009-2011. If your an FF geek the off season deal is a good way to scout players for next year.
Can you explain how you’re getting these games at these prices (not live)? I wasn’t sure what system you were using and what service you were paying the $40 to get the shortcut games.

Try using playon. You'll need to leave a computer on to stream but then you can watch all the hulu stuff (even shows available only on the computer). Playon is all I need. I use it on an xbox 360, and can watch pretty much anything from my computer. Even websites that stream live sports. If you don't have an XBOX or PS3, I'd recommend Roku to anyone thats trying to cut cable. Just because it's the cheapest box, and can do pretty much anything with playon and navi-x.

Not sure if this is the right place for this question, but has anyone tried the Vulkano Flow Mobile Device? Thought compared to a Slingbox?

For NFL football-NFL rewind- $40 in season, $30 off season. Watch every regular and post season game day after it airs. I haven't had cable TV for decades. I used to get the games from internet streaming but for $40 it wasn't worth the hassle. I don't own a TV. I use a TV tuner(Mac) and the HD signal you get is better then cable or satellite. Right now you can watch any regular and playoff game from 2009-2011. If your an FF geek the off season deal is a good way to scout players for next year.
Can you explain how you’re getting these games at these prices (not live)? I wasn’t sure what system you were using and what service you were paying the $40 to get the shortcut games.
NFL.com offers NFL rewind through any internet connection(has to be a decent speed for streaming) I have a Mac mini computer hooked to a HD projector(110' screen) Games are roughly 2 hours if you don't fast forward.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've run into a nice addition to my antenna, Xbox, and Netflix. In Google Chrome, there's a plugin to watch the European ESPN feed. It shows the MNF game, though in pretty poor quality.

Anyone know if Roku supports Showtime Anytime? I know they support HBO GO, but it wondering about Showtime?

Thinking about doing this. Any reason not to buy a wifi enabled blu-ray player instead of some type of stream box? Don't play xbox or playstation.

Thinking about doing this. Any reason not to buy a wifi enabled blu-ray player instead of some type of stream box? Don't play xbox or playstation.
Might be better to just purchase an xbox right now since they are so cheap. xbox tv shows:My link

xbox movies: My link

xbox apps: My link

It also looks like the next xbox will possibly be a pretty good replacement for HTPC's.

How much are people spending on indoor HD antennas? I see they have a pretty wide range in prices. Are the cheap ones ok?

How much are people spending on indoor HD antennas? I see they have a pretty wide range in prices. Are the cheap ones ok?
I got an amplified omnidirectional(saucer) antennas and put in my attic. Ran me $100 at Denny's antennas, less than one cable bill. Check him out on the web. Also has a link to an antenna selector based on where you live. Don't skimp on the cheesy indoor antennas unless you are in a LARGE metro area where the signals are very strong.

I got one one of these (amazon link) several years ago and it works great. We live about 30 miles south of Minneapolis and without it, we cannot receive really any channels over broadcast. I point this thing North, and get all of them perfectly. The price seems a tad steep, and I don't recall paying that much. You might want to check Radio Shack and other places.

'Jobber said:
'dgreen said:
I got one one of these (amazon link) several years ago and it works great. We live about 30 miles south of Minneapolis and without it, we cannot receive really any channels over broadcast. I point this thing North, and get all of them perfectly. The price seems a tad steep, and I don't recall paying that much. You might want to check Radio Shack and other places.
How do I go about connecting multiple TV's to this antenna?

'Jobber said:
'dgreen said:
You can't that I know of. It's just a standalone antenna for a single television.

'Jobber said:
'dgreen said:
You can't that I know of. It's just a standalone antenna for a single television.
You can always just add a splitter, but that will change the properties of the antenna and it won't work as well(probably, depends on quite a few factors).

Thanks to the advice on this post, I've decided to cut the cable as well. My monthly bill of $180 to Time Warner will soon be a thing of the past.

The specifics:

[*]I bought two Mohu Leaf HD antennas. I don't think I need the amplified antenna. With a coupon code of "killcablewithleaf1", my cost for expedited shipping was $82.06.

[*]Picked up a Roku 2 XS from Target for $79.

[*]This supplemented the Boxee that I already had. This is currently available for around $170.

This brings our one-time costs to $331.06

Our monthly costs will be replaced with:

[*]Hulu Plus - at a cost of $7.99 / month

[*]Netflix - at a cost of $7.99 / month

[*]High speed internet thru Time Warner (grr) - $50 / month

Total: $66 / month

:excited:

Really optimistic about this - I hate giving those thieves at Time Warner any money.

I'm 2 weeks in. Only thing I miss is CNN

It's amazing the amount of stuff on Netflix and Amazon Live

Thanks to the advice on this post, I've decided to cut the cable as well. My monthly bill of $180 to Time Warner will soon be a thing of the past.

The specifics:

[*]I bought two Mohu Leaf HD antennas. I don't think I need the amplified antenna. With a coupon code of "killcablewithleaf1", my cost for expedited shipping was $82.06.

[*]This supplemented the Boxee that I already had. This is currently available for around $170.

Really optimistic about this - I hate giving those thieves at Time Warner any money.
When I can get the Red Zone Channel and the suite of ESPN channels by doing this, I am all in. Until then, my hands are tied.

The specifics:

When I can get the Red Zone Channel and the suite of ESPN channels by doing this, I am all in. Until then, my hands are tied.
Xbox has espn to an extent and you can get the Sunday ticket through ps3.

The specifics:

You, me and a lot of other people. There are options but the quality is pretty bleak when viewing on anything other than your computer.

The specifics:

You, me and a lot of other people. There are options but the quality is pretty bleak when viewing on anything other than your computer.
Do you have an XBox? ESPN is now available through it.

The specifics:

No, but I find all those streaming options to have pretty low quality. ESPN3 is hardly watchable even just on a computer.

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Maybe I'm just an idiot.

We got one of those large floor model Mitsubishi HDTV projection TVs from a neighbor. I bought an antenna, hooked it up, scanned for channels, and it found nothing. I change channels and I get nothing. Any chance an indoor antenna will work in a basement? Is that my problem? I've moved it all over to the sliding glass door in the basement to see if that did anything and I still get nothing.

I suppose it could just be a defective antenna. I guess I'll try the antenna on my upstairs TV just to test that out. It should just be a simple process of connecting it and picking up a signal, right?

We cut out cable 3 weeks ago. About to go back unless I can find a way to get the Disnel & Nickelodeon channels latest episodes. Missing HGTV myself. Any realistic suggestions? Disney shows are $30 per season x 6 shows that my daughter watches and I'm close to basic cable cost.

We cut out cable 3 weeks ago. About to go back unless I can find a way to get the Disnel & Nickelodeon channels latest episodes. Missing HGTV myself. Any realistic suggestions? Disney shows are $30 per season x 6 shows that my daughter watches and I'm close to basic cable cost.
Give it a few months and you'll forget about HGTV, Disney and all that other stuff.

The specifics:

Yeah, I'm an XBox guy. I've tried ESPN there...it's been mostly unwatchable thus far. :kicksrock:

The specifics:

No, but I find all those streaming options to have pretty low quality. ESPN3 is hardly watchable even just on a computer.
I have a fast internet connection, and ESPN3 through the Xbox is perfect on my TV.However, make sure you understand what's available through the Xbox.

-ESPN3 is free as long as you have the XBox Live Gold service ($5/month, also lets you play games online).

-ESPN and ESPN2 are only available if you already have service through some participating provider. In other words, you can't cut the cable and get ESPN/2. I haven't investigated the participating providers to see if any will offer ESPN a la carte, but I doubt it.

-Some things on ESPN3 are blacked out regionally for some reason.

This was my concern also. We are about 6 months in. Netflix just picked up a bunch of Disney stuff. My son is almost 2 so there is an endless variety of stuff for him on Netflix, Hulu, and amazon. With the money we save we usually pick up a Mickey movie or two a month. That's his favorite. So far no issues.

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. Maybe I'm just an idiot.

We got one of those large floor model Mitsubishi HDTV projection TVs from a neighbor. I bought an antenna, hooked it up, scanned for channels, and it found nothing. I change channels and I get nothing. Any chance an indoor antenna will work in a basement? Is that my problem? I've moved it all over to the sliding glass door in the basement to see if that did anything and I still get nothing.

I suppose it could just be a defective antenna. I guess I'll try the antenna on my upstairs TV just to test that out. It should just be a simple process of connecting it and picking up a signal, right?
So you picked up a old tv from a neighbor I am going to guess it is a older model pre digital tv. Sounds to me you need a analog to digital converter. Older tvs only receive analog signals but a couple of years ago all the stations upgraded to digital, you need a digital antenna to pick up the signal, but the older tvs can only "read" analog so you need a converter box.

I have a 15 year old tv out in my garage, digital antenna and I got the cheapest converter, the apex one for about 30 bucks and it works fine.

Analog to digital converter

Hard for me to do since 90% of what I watch is news and sports.

But I did get a Roku 2 XS and we've got all of our stored media going through that + Pandora. It's pretty sweet. Don't even use the blu-ray player anymore.

'ragincajun said:
'deep vacuum said:
This was my concern also. We are about 6 months in. Netflix just picked up a bunch of Disney stuff. My son is almost 2 so there is an endless variety of stuff for him on Netflix, Hulu, and amazon. With the money we save we usually pick up a Mickey movie or two a month. That's his favorite. So far no issues.
Our problem is that we have a 10 yr old girl who is well aware of what shows she is missing. Disney shows that were watched ALL the time include; Shake it up, Dog w/a bone, Gravity Falls, Good Luck Charlie, Austin & Ally, Ant Farm, Phineas & Ferb, most Nickelodeon shows. I'll get over missing HGTV but my daughter is right in the target audience sweet spot for cable TV kids shows.I also find that I'm waisting a lot of time searching for something to watch instead of just having something we like readily available for viewing. Perhaps that will change in time as we get used to what channels we are interested in viewing on the Roku & local TV.

'ragincajun said:
'deep vacuum said:
Our problem is that we have a 10 yr old girl who is well aware of what shows she is missing. Disney shows that were watched ALL the time include; Shake it up, Dog w/a bone, Gravity Falls, Good Luck Charlie, Austin & Ally, Ant Farm, Phineas & Ferb, most Nickelodeon shows. I'll get over missing HGTV but my daughter is right in the target audience sweet spot for cable TV kids shows.I also find that I'm waisting a lot of time searching for something to watch instead of just having something we like readily available for viewing. Perhaps that will change in time as we get used to what channels we are interested in viewing on the Roku & local TV.
Most of that Nick stuff is on Netflix streaming. I know Phineas & Ferb, Spongebob, Good Luck Charlie, and a few others for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread