What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

timdraft #4: Movie Category Draft (2 Viewers)

NOTE: The rankings below exclude the "WTF? Movie" category scores as we wait for that category to be rescored.

Movie Draft Score through 23 of 30 Categories

Drafter - Total

---------------------------------------------

Nick Vermeil - 371

BobbyLayne - 370

Tiannamen Tank - 358

krista4 - 357

Tremendous Upside - 352

Aerial Assault - 349

AcerFC - 346

Mrs. Rannous - 333

Andy Dufresne - 325

Val Rannous - 325

Karma Police - 316

timschochet - 306

hooter311 - 305

Time Kibitzer - 293

jwb - 291

John Madden's Lunchbox - 281

higgins - 278

Joffer - 277

Doug B - 264

Kumerica - 253

Mister CIA - 241

Dr. Octopus - 230

rikishiboy - 226

Usual21 - 225

Tish155 - 203
:cool: Gonna be down to the wire with a whole host of drafters still in the running.

NOTE: The rankings below exclude the "WTF? Movie" category scores as we wait for that category to be rescored.

Movie Draft Score through 23 of 30 Categories

Drafter - Total

Nick Vermeil - 371

BobbyLayne - 370

Tiannamen Tank - 358

krista4 - 357

Tremendous Upside - 352

Aerial Assault - 349

AcerFC - 346

Mrs. Rannous - 333

Andy Dufresne - 325

Val Rannous - 325

Karma Police - 316

timschochet - 306

hooter311 - 305

Time Kibitzer - 293

jwb - 291

John Madden's Lunchbox - 281

higgins - 278

Joffer - 277

Doug B - 264

Kumerica - 253

Mister CIA - 241

Dr. Octopus - 230

rikishiboy - 226

Usual21 - 225

Tish155 - 203
How the mighty have fallen!

By mighty of course, I mean myself.

Want to apologize for the perceived ditching. I understand why you had to move on, but I got back from dealing with some family crap for a bit to see another weekend/late night/must respond in 2 days post for the judging and got kinda annoyed. I didn't get a chance to see all of the movies in the category yet. If it is truly being redone after tim's rankings I could collaborate a bit with the judge to come up with something else. My rankings probably would have looked a bit different - 12 Monkeys really isn't that difficult of a movie.
First off, that post was made in the middle of the day on a Wednesday. Second, it was the 3rd or 4th time I asked for a date when the judging would be completed. I think I'm pretty patient; I simply ask people to chime in and let us know how they're progressing and when they will be done. If I don't hear from you at all, I have to assume that you're not going to do it.

I'm also sick and tired of the criticism I have received for using Rotten Tomatoes for those rankings. I called for volunteers for this category over a month ago after you stopped posting. I waited and waited and nobody stepped up to the plate. Then everybody started complaining that the judging would never be completed. So I did what I thought was best. It actually took quite a lot of work to look up all that stuff and post it.
If I knew you were just gonna base the rankings solely on rotten tomatoes you should have let us know, at the very least then an experienced internet user like myself could have finished looking up all the rotten tomato scores for all 25 movies in well under 5 minutes.

JML, Quick question. I had tons of fight scenes that I thought were good, and obviously missed with the selection I chose (my fault, I ended up selecting based on criteria rather than what I really liked). I was originally gonna go with a classic sword fight scene - either the classic Errol vs. Basil at the end of Robin Hood, or a little more bad-assery by Liam Neeson at the end of Rob Roy. Would either of those have done any good?
The problem with classic sword fights is the majority are like Princess Bride. Twirling mustaches, no blood and long skilled swordplay.

I want to see a sword fight that has a reasonably quick death with blood, maybe a severed limb, just something that is more real than a 20 minute swordfight that defies belief.

The Rob Roy one is a good one in that Liam Neeson gets several lacerations that hinder his swordplay, beofre he ultimately slashes Tim Roth with a cheap shot. Some blood, a bit of realism and 2 different sword types make that a much better sword fight. Would have ranked top 10 for sure, but not much higher.

I was looking for fisticuffs primarily where the violence was heavy, real and brutal. I didn't want 60 jump cuts that make the action hard to follow or cutaways.

2 Points

Bar room fight from A Bronx Tale

Realism - Bar room brawl has elements of realism, but the heavy editing and one sidedness of the brawl make it far less interesting.

Length - Just a touch over 2 minutes mean that there is enough to show, but this one could have shown a lot more fightback or extended it a touch

Pain - Not one scratch on the mafia guys, but the bikers were beaten severely. Not that brutal visually, but some of those hits would have left a mark or worse.

Other Comment(s) - I almost consider this a beat down rather than a fight. A fight has to involve 2 fighting parties, but the bikers just seemed to be on the end of some ass kicking. I’d prefer a one on one fight, but eight on eight is fine as long as it makes sense and people are actually fighting and not just getting beaten up.

Rating - I can’t score this too highly, despite it being the first one chosen. I want to see both parties fighting, not just one and I want to see continuity, not heavy editing. This scores ok on the brutality element, but is lacking in the others. Overall score of 66%
I guess I drafted this based more on the "scene" than the fight (content) itself. To me this is a great scene - starting with "...now youz can't leave" - but based on your criteria I can't complain about the rank. I do think the bikers get in some shots, but the point of the scene, which adds some perspective to the overall film, is that Sonny and his crew does give a "beat down".

Nice job overall - you put a lot of effort into your rankings and that's all we can ask for.
It's a better scene than I gave it credit for, but it just didn't fit the context of what I was looking for. The bikers pretty much just get in an effete shot or 2, nothing meaningful.

The fights needed to have both antagonists feeling the pain.

Want to apologize for the perceived ditching. I understand why you had to move on, but I got back from dealing with some family crap for a bit to see another weekend/late night/must respond in 2 days post for the judging and got kinda annoyed. I didn't get a chance to see all of the movies in the category yet. If it is truly being redone after tim's rankings I could collaborate a bit with the judge to come up with something else. My rankings probably would have looked a bit different - 12 Monkeys really isn't that difficult of a movie.
First off, that post was made in the middle of the day on a Wednesday. Second, it was the 3rd or 4th time I asked for a date when the judging would be completed. I think I'm pretty patient; I simply ask people to chime in and let us know how they're progressing and when they will be done. If I don't hear from you at all, I have to assume that you're not going to do it.

I'm also sick and tired of the criticism I have received for using Rotten Tomatoes for those rankings. I called for volunteers for this category over a month ago after you stopped posting. I waited and waited and nobody stepped up to the plate. Then everybody started complaining that the judging would never be completed. So I did what I thought was best. It actually took quite a lot of work to look up all that stuff and post it.
Ok, Wednesday. I didn't say that it was a mature reaction on my part or that I didn't understand why you did it. Was just dealing with a #### storm and saw that I missed a 2 day deadline to post and was annoyed. I managed to get through quite a few of the movies, but have also been running into my computer taking a huge dump on me too so my posting abilities are spotty at best. Really had the intention of toughing it out with these movies, but sometimes life happens. Feel bad, as these are two categories nobody wanted to touch anyway. If I were you I probably would have called the draft at about round 20 of judging.

So, KP. Do you have some or all of the No Idea category finished and want me to help you do so? That would certainly be preferable to me watching 25 films. Well, those I haven't seen, anyway.

Good rankings and writeups, JML!

Aerial Assault said:
So, KP. Do you have some or all of the No Idea category finished and want me to help you do so? That would certainly be preferable to me watching 25 films. Well, those I haven't seen, anyway.
The Holy Mountain

Head

Even Dwarves Started Small

El Topo

The Room

Tetsuo: The Iron Man

Asparagus

On first glance of the list, this is where I was stuck at. I am sure these are all the truly ####ed up movies too. I can send you a PM later of my thoughts on what the rankings looked liked so far. Some of these were netflix or online only and with my crap internet and 10year old computer I was having troubles accessing them.

Aerial Assault said:
The Holy Mountain

Head

Even Dwarves Started Small

El Topo

The Room

Tetsuo: The Iron Man

Asparagus

On first glance of the list, this is where I was stuck at. I am sure these are all the truly ####ed up movies too. I can send you a PM later of my thoughts on what the rankings looked liked so far. Some of these were netflix or online only and with my crap internet and 10year old computer I was having troubles accessing them.
Fantastic. Please do send me that PM and I'll do what is needed to finalize the rankings. Thanks.

I guess it's time to post the results for Best Portrayal of a Real/Historical Person.

I can't copy the original criteria because that post is effed up. We went with these bits: Did the actor capture the spirit of the historical/real person; I'll try not to slant the judging to favor famous folks.; and Men and women who are consumed by being every inch of their character will probably do well here. We didn't care about popularity or awards. We were more concerned about the overall impact of the performance/movie. If we go back in time/space and meet the person, would we feel like we had met the person before? (Not that you can really know this, but we were looking for that visceral reaction to the power of the actor.

And we know that at least one of our rankings is going to be unpopular, so start your keyboards.

1 pt - Madonna as Eva Peron in Evita

Something had to come last, and this just didn't have any realism. I doubt Eva Peron broke out in songs for no particular reason.

2 pts - Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison in The Doors

Comments by his former bandmates were not nice. They didn't even recognise their bud. The Oliver Stone direction didn't help here. It's too bad the script isn't better. Kilmer is well cast.

3 pts - Will Smith as Muhammed Ali in Ali

Mr R watched this because I really don't like movies with a ton of violence, and I despise boxing. (More on this later- much to my surprise.) He found Smith reasonably convincing in the boxing scenes and the Ali patter scenes, but says he was a complete block of wood the rest of the time. While I'm sure Ali wasn't always "on", I find it difficult to believe he was dull.

4 pts - Val Kilmer as Doc Holiday in Tombstone

We like this movie. We really like the music. We like Kilmer's portrayal of Holiday. The only reason this is so low is that the other choices were so good.

5 pts - DiCaprio as Howard Hughes in The Aviator (my pick)

I can't believe I have to rank my own pick so low; but just like the previous choice, the other picks had more impact.

Last edited by a moderator:
And here's where it hits the fan.

6 pts - Daniel Day Lewis as Abe Lincoln in Lincoln

Sorry folks. We both watched this separately and came to the exact same conclusion. Lewis picked one pose, accent, and manner and stuck to it like a limpet the whole time. I was expecting some personal charisma, some charm, maybe some homespun wisdom or humor, and I got none of that. Lincoln is consistently the least interesting person on screen. The only time he does anything diferent is when he's arguing with Mary, and even that seems muted. Where is the presence that compels attention? Where is anything?

If everyone just has to rank this higher, go for it. But we just couldn't.

7 pts - David Strathairn as Edward R Murrow in Good Night, and Good Luck

Nice performance. I found Clooney's direction kept me somewhat at a distance from the characters.

8 pts - Reese Witherspoon as June Carter Cash in Walk the Line

Another good performance. We couldn't understand why this was chosen over Joaquin Phoenix's job as the Man in Black. That would have ranked higher since he had more to do and he was very good indeed.

9 pts - Helen Mirren as Queen Elizabeth II in The Queen

A nice performance, but I didn't really learn anything personal here. QEII is very private, and I doubt anyone will ever really know what she felt at that time. That makes it a wee bit difficult for Mirren to dig in to the inner person.

10 pts - John Hurt as John Merrick in The Elephant Man

And now we're getting to the really good stuff. A moving performance. The reason this is so low is that most of the movie, Hurt is fully covered. It is always hard to connect with audiences that way.

11 pts - Jamie Foxx as Ray Charles in Ray

Foxx made me feel like I'd met the man. I can't really pick out a negative here. The movies above were just a bit more compelling for us.

12 pts - Hilary Swank as Brandon Teena in Boys Don't Cry

Still don't really like violent movies like this, but Swank gives her usual solid performance.

13 pts - Charlize Theron as Aileen Wuornos in Monster

Conveniently, I watched a documentary about this about a month ago. Sure made research easier. Theron is very much like her real-life counterpart. I found this a little less compelling than the movies above.

14 pts - Charlton Heston as Moses in The Ten Commandments

No archival footage of the person here. But if Moses shows up and he isn't just like this guy, we're all gonna mock him. I've never had any problem seeing how he leads his people. Heston fills the screen even with the great actors he is playing against.

15 pts - Robert De Niro as Jake LaMotta in Raging Bull

And we're back to boxing movies. I watched this one under protest. Surprisingly, it was pretty good. The cinematography really makes this. Alas, I didn't feel as moved as I did by the upcoming movies because there didn't seem to be much explanation for why LaMotta became the way he was. His brother seems pretty normal, so why is there so much difference? I also couldn't see any reason for women to marry him. There must have been one, but it didn't seem clearly protrayed to me.

16 pts - Daniel Day Lewis as Christy Brown in My Left Foot

Mr R says the technical achievement of portraying someone with very little means of expressing himself is impressive. Along with the next three movies, it just missed the top tier. All of the movies here seemed a little less compelling than the upper crust. At this level, everything is good.

17 pts - Paul Giamatti as Harvey Pekar in American Splendor

Pig Vomit, sorry, Giamatti creeps the viewer out as Harvey Pekar, the personality-challenged author and comics artist. This movie has a visceral impact, just not a good one. But I felt soiled as if I had met the man.

18 pts - Paul Scofield as Thomas Moore in A Man for All Seasons

Again, no archival footage, but this character speaks pretty much with Moore's own words. A moving and thoughtful performance by Scofield.

19 pts - Julia Roberts as Erin Brockovich

This is a funny movie, but also an important one. And Roberts lets us feel her character's frustration all the way.

Another good performance. We couldn't understand why this was chosen over Joaquin Phoenix's job as the Man in Black. That would have ranked higher since he had more to do and he was very good indeed.
Why did The Academy?

Why did The Academy?
It was a good performance. And the other nominess were not that memorable. It's not that she was bad, but that Phoenix had more chances to show his range of skills. Also, the other chosen actors are pretty damn good. From Hurt on up, it was a bit of a struggle until we got to the top tier. The top picks were just really stunning and stood out for us.

Phoenix did get nominated. Two of the other performances that were running against him are here, too. (P S Hoffman and Strathairn)

Lets try this again.

20 pts - Eric Bana as Chopper Read in Chopper

And it's back to the violent movies in which I have no interest. Eric Bana was just stunning in this. I watched footage of the real Chopper Read, and Bana gets it perfectly and scarily. I couldn't stop watching. (When the filmmakers had trouble casting the role, Chopper suggested Bana for the part. He may be a sociopath, but he sure was right here.) The fine supporting cast and script give him the room to dominate the screen.

21 pts - Denzel Washington in Malcolm X

Washington captures the different stages of Malcolm X's behavior at the various times in his personal journey. He talks differently to different groups. He makes you understand why he was a leader and a sometimes dangerous man. A magnetic job in a film with a lot of scope in which to get to know the man.

22 pts - Philip Seymour Hoffman as Truman Capote in Capote

I was familiar with the Clutter murders because I had watched a documentary on the subject a couple of months ago. (We do love our documentaries.) The movie is about how Capote invents a new category of book, the true crime book. It also shows how writing the book basically killed the man's soul. Capote struggled with needing his subjects to die for their crimes so he could finish his book but not really wanting them to. He never published another book. Hoffman brings all that to the surface without overselling any of it. After my top picks went, I would have chosen this had I seen it before.

23 pts - Forest Whitaker as Idi Amin in The Last King of Scotland

And we're back to sociopaths. Idi Amin was as awful as they come. And Whitaker gave me flashbacks. His performance captures the charisma and the insanity of Amin and scared the crap out of me. I hope I never have to see this again. It was great. So great that I just couldn't go through it again.

24 pts - Ben Kingsley in Gandhi

I have not seen this. Somehow, it just never happened. Mr R, on the other hand, says it was an anazing job of bringing Gandhi to the screen. His description of the power of the performance puts Kingsley right at the top. Except for:

25 pts - Peter O'Toole as TE Lawrence in Lawrence of Arabia

I first saw this on the big screen. To this day, it is still one of the most beautiful and powerful films I have seen. O'Toole captures the glory and the lightning of Lawrence in a way that no one else ever will. It kills me that I didn't get this pick.

Mrs. R, you did an excellent job with yet another very tough category.
Thanks, but I really enjoyed it. We got to see some movies we just hadn't gotten around to and i saw some I otherwise wouldn't have. Chopper and Capote were the two really huge surprises for me.

Agreed! I was getting ready to do this category as well, and these rankings are very close to my preliminary notes.I agree on Lincoln, but I have Reese Witherspoon 2 steps higher and Denzel Washington 2 steps lower. No other spot differs more than 1 slot from where I had them.

eTA: I had Gandhi as my top pick.

Lets try this again.

And it's back to the violent movies in which I have no interest. Eric Bana was just stunning in this. I watched footage of the real Chopper Read, and Bana gets it perfectly and scarily. I couldn't stop watching. (When the filmmakers had trouble casting the role, Chopper suggested Bana for the part. He may be a sociopath, but he sure was right here.) The fine supporting cast and script give him the room to dominate the screen.
Thanks for taking the time on that. It was even more of a shock to most Australians who knew the Chopper Read stories and knew Eric Bana as a TV comedy sketch guy.

Bana has since usually played intense guys in movies, in real life he is much more like his TV comedy characters or one of his few lighter movie roles, the character in the Adam Sandler movie Funny People.

Chopper Read still tours around Australia given talks to paying audience members about his crime career or views on any topic.

Agreed! I was getting ready to do this category as well, and these rankings are very close to my preliminary notes.I agree on Lincoln, but I have Reese Witherspoon 2 steps higher and Denzel Washington 2 steps lower. No other spot differs more than 1 slot from where I had them.

Validation! I'm just glad someone else was reasonably close to what we thought. We figured you'd all wonder what we were smoking.

Lets try this again.

Thanks for taking the time on that. It was even more of a shock to most Australians who knew the Chopper Read stories and knew Eric Bana as a TV comedy sketch guy.

Bana has since usually played intense guys in movies, in real life he is much more like his TV comedy characters or one of his few lighter movie roles, the character in the Adam Sandler movie Funny People.

Chopper Read still tours around Australia given talks to paying audience members about his crime career or views on any topic.
I can well believe people were stunned. I really didn't want to watch that, but it was compelling stuff. I have to give the director credit- even the most violent stuff just didn't seem all that bloody. And given the copious amount of blood that got shed in some places, that's pretty amazing. The one scene where Chopper just ups and punches the one guy multiple times in the face is over so fast you hardly notice it, in a way. Too bad it didn't get more attention. It sure deserved it.

Validation! I'm just glad someone else was reasonably close to what we thought. We figured you'd all wonder what we were smoking.
You might want to look at some of charv's other judging before taking this as validation. ;)

krista4 said:
Mrs. Rannous said:
charvik said:
timschochet said:

You might want to look at some of charv's other judging before taking this as validation. ;)
:lmao: :lmao:

Oh wait.... :mellow:

1 pt - Madonna as Eva Peron in Evita Tish

2 pts - Val Kilmer as Jim Morrison in The Doors jwb

3 pts - Will Smith as Muhammed Ali in Ali Dr Octopus

4 pts - Val Kilmer as Doc Holiday in Tombstone Aerial Assault

5 pts - DiCaprio as Howard Hughes in The Aviator Mrs R

6 pts - Daniel Day Lewis as Abe Lincoln in Lincoln Higgins

7 pts - David Strathairn as Edward R Murrow in Good Night, and Good Luck joffer

8 pts - Reese Witherspoon as June Carter Cash in Walk the Line Andy Dufresne

9 pts - Helen Mirren as Queen Elizabeth II in The Queen Kumerica

10 pts - John Hurt as John Merrick in The Elephant Man Time Kibitzer

11 pts - Jamie Foxx as Ray Charles in Ray rikishiboy

12 pts - Hilary Swank as Brandon Teena in Boys Don't Cry Bobby Lane

13 pts - Charlize Theron as Aileen Wuornos in Monster Usual 21

14 pts - Charlton Heston as Moses in The Ten Commandments Val Rannous

15 pts - Robert De Niro as Jake LaMotta in Raging Bull Krista4

16 pts - Daniel Day Lewis as Christy Brown in My Left Foot Karma Police

17 pts - Paul Giamatti as Harvey Pekar in American Splendor Mister CIA

18 pts - Paul Scofield as Thomas Moore in A Man for All Seasons Tim

19 pts - Julia Roberts as Erin Brockovich Nick Vermiel

20 pts - Eric Bana as Chopper Read in Chopper JML

21 pts - Denzel Washington in Malcolm X Acer FC

22 pts - Philip Seymour Hoffman as Truman Capote in Capote hooter 311

23 pts - Forest Whitaker as Idi Amin in The Last King of Scotland Tiannaman Tank

24 pts - Ben Kingsley in Gandhi Doug B

25 pts - Peter O'Toole as TE Lawrence in Lawrence of Arabia Tremendous Upside

OK, I've had enough of this ####.

You remaining judges have until Friday to post the exact date your results will be posted, and it needs to be within 2 weeks from now. Starting this weekend I'm going to start judging whatever's left over. I'll just start at the top of the list and work my way down. If either I don't get a post from you OR you fail to keep your promise within the two week period, your category is on the list.

My rankings may be crappy but they're better than no rankings. I intend to finish this draft and move on to the next one. No matter what, this draft WILL be done by mid August.
Looks like tim has a lot of judging to do.

Movie Draft Score through 24 of 30 Categories

Drafter - Total

Nick Vermeil - 390
BobbyLayne - 382
Tiannamen Tank - 381
Tremendous Upside - 377
krista4 - 372
AcerFC - 367
Aerial Assault - 353
Val Rannous - 339
Mrs. Rannous - 338
Andy Dufresne - 333
Karma Police - 332
hooter311 - 327
timschochet - 324
Time Kibitzer - 303
John Madden's Lunchbox - 301
jwb - 293
Doug B - 288
higgins - 284
Joffer - 284
Kumerica - 262
Mister CIA - 258
Usual21 - 238
rikishiboy - 237
Dr. Octopus - 233
Tish155 - 204

Scores still exclude Tim's "WTF?" rankings.

Never heard from Karma Police by PM, so I'm not revisiting the No Idea movies. Will complete courtroom scenes shortly. And before anyone gives me crap, I've judged two cats and decided to leave Courtroom for the end. It's now the end.

You remaining judges have until Friday to post the exact date your results will be posted, and it needs to be within 2 weeks from now. Starting this weekend I'm going to start judging whatever's left over. I'll just start at the top of the list and work my way down. If either I don't get a post from you OR you fail to keep your promise within the two week period, your category is on the list.

My rankings may be crappy but they're better than no rankings. I intend to finish this draft and move on to the next one. No matter what, this draft WILL be done by mid August.
OK, here's what we have left:

1. Monologue

2. Shooting a movie scene

3. Dramatic actor in a comedic role

4. Sex scene

5. No idea what this movie is about.

I will begin ranking in the order listed above. I will post the results every few days. If somebody posts their own rankings in the meantime, we'll use those. But I intend to be done by August 15, just as I wrote a month ago. If by that date Aerial Assault hasn't posted the new WTF rankings, then we'll use the ones I already posted. Let's get this finished.

Monologue will be posted later today.

timschochet said:

1. Monologue

4. Sex scene

I will begin ranking in the order listed above. I will post the results every few days. If somebody posts their own rankings in the meantime, we'll use those. But I intend to be done by August 15, just as I wrote a month ago. If by that date Aerial Assault hasn't posted the new WTF rankings, then we'll use the ones I already posted. Let's get this finished.

I think he said above that he wasn't going to do it since he hadn't heard back from KP - bump your old ones back up. To be honest for that category, who is really an expert anway and who could argue one way or another?

WTF films

25 Even Dwarfs Started Small- hooter311

24 Un Chien Andalou- John Madden's Lunchbox

23 Brazil- BobbyLayne

22 Eraserhead- timschochet

21 Koyaanisqatsi- Nick Vermiel

20 12 Monkeys- rikishiboy

19 Pi- Dr. Octopus

18 Donnie Darko- Val Rannous

17 Slacker- Kumerica

16 Mulholland Drive- Tiannamen Tank

15 The Holy Mountain- Time Kibitzer

14 Melancholia- Andy Dufresne

13 Tetsuo: The Ironman-Krista4

12 Head- Mister CIA

11 El Topo- jwb

10 Primer- Joffer

9 Inland Empire- Tremendous Upside

8 Enter the Void- Karma Police

7 Synecdoche- Aerial Assault

6 Cube- AcerFC

5 Zardoz- Mrs. Rannous

4 What the bleep do we know?- DougB

3 The Room- tish155

2 Dreamcatcher- Usual21

1 Asparagus- higgins
Bump for Doug to add to spreadsheet.

timschochet said:

1. Monologue

4. Sex scene

It's Movie, and I think JML has reported in on that one.

Dramatic Actor in a Comedic Role

The judgeship of this category was handed to me after the draft had ended. I never posted judging criteria. Nor had Tim. As such, I’ve taken the category title to heart: Dramatic Actor in a Comedic Role. The ROLE itself needs to be funny, not just a dramatic actor in a comedy. I know it's subjective, but I had to laugh at/with the chosen character or their lines. Some of the darker choices suffered greatly as a result. For instance, I'm glad Christian Bale's turn in American Psycho wasn't selected for this category because that's one of my most quoted, favorite movies, and he's hilarious in it, but the role itself wasn't comedic, and I'd have had to give it a lower score.

1 Point: Nicole Kidman, To Die For (Tish155)

Kidman gave a sexy, nuanced, and assured performance in a meaty role that took her to the next level. True, people refer to the movie as a dark comedy, but I always saw it as more of a sly tragedy. The role itself isn’t particularly comedic as it is a bit wicked.

2 Points: Robert De Niro, King of Comedy (Time Kibitzer)

Pupkin wasn’t funny, so much as he was psychotic. A great performance, a great movie, but not a ha-ha-funny kind of a role . . . except when it’s a nefarious kind of ha-ha. The humor in this movie ebbs from its overall grit and darkness, but I wouldn’t characterize De Niro’s role comedic, even though it happens to be darkly funny and twisted.

3 points: Jack Palance, City Slickers (Rishikishi)

Palance was great in City Slickers, but the comedy doesn’t come from him, so much as it does the reactions to his tough, no-bulls##t cowboy demeanor from the characters that surround him. You could stick any number of tough-guy, western-era actors—from Eastwood to Bronson to Coburn—and the effect would be much the same. I might be wrong about that.

4 points: Jon Voight, Zoolander (Tiannamen Tank)

Mr. Zoolander

“You’re dead to me, boy. You’re more dead to me than your dead mother.”

I love this movie, and Voight’s role in it as the disapproving father of male model Derek Zoolander is brilliant. I would LOVE to rank this higher, but sadly, the pick suffers from the size of the role. And as funny as Voight is in his scenes, he's still supposed to be the straight man to Stiller's Derek, which in Zoolander World, is still hilarious. The attached vid link represents his largest of three scenes.

5 points: Marlon Brando, The Freshman (Nick Vermiel)

Parodying his Godfather role, Brando clearly has some fun here. When I first saw this movie 20+ years ago, I felt Brando kind of phoned it in. I recently re-watched it for judging purposes, and really enjoyed the movie on a level I never did the first time around. I wish I could rank this a bit higher, but there are too many good picks ahead of it.

Since Kumerica is posting today, I won't post monologues until tomorrow. Then shooting a movie scene sometime this weekend.

As far as sex movies go, I'll wait for JML until the middle of next week- if he hasn't posted by then, I will rank them as well. Though I really don't want to.

timschochet said:

1. Monologue

4. Sex scene

It's Movie, and I think JML has reported in on that one.
I'll have that done. I'm awaiting ONE DVD coming in the post and I have 3 more to write up. Apart from that 22 are written up.

I could probably post the bottom 2 as I can't imagine the missing one scoring worse than those 2, but want to be fair to them just the same.

Since Kumerica is posting today, I won't post monologues until tomorrow. Then shooting a movie scene sometime this weekend.

As far as sex movies go, I'll wait for JML until the middle of next week- if he hasn't posted by then, I will rank them as well. Though I really don't want to.
I can have monologues up tonight. I've put it off too long.

I've had to delete rankings 6 - 15 because I miscopied something from my master doc. Sorry, but anyone ranked 8 - 15 will get a one-point bump.

Dramatic Actor in a Comedic Role (cont.) REVISED

6 points: Robert De Niro, Meet the Parents (Usual21)

I found this movie to be a hot-faced kind of funny. Bobby D, after attempting a few comedies for a couple of decades up to this point, reigns it in for a serious, I-can-kill-you deadpan delivery that makes Ben Stiller’s character—and the audience—uncomfortable most of the time. I don’t know that the role itself was as funny (much like Palance’s role in City Slickers) as the situations that present themselves to Stiller, but I doubt anyone else could do as good a job at intimidating a daughter’s beau as De Niro did, because he always does menacing well. If I took the sequels into consideration, though, this ranking would drop precipitously.

7 points: Phillip Seymour Hoffman, Along Came Polly (AcerFC)

PSH can pretty much do anything, and with Along Came Polly, he took a few scenes, made them amazing, and walked off carrying the film. His crude and acerbic delivery was hilarious, but there’s not enough of it to rank much higher. Plus, Sandy Lyle’s pretty much a d#ck, even if he’s awesome.

8 points: Don Ameche, Trading Places (Aerial Assault)

I love this movie, and I love Don Ameche in it. He’s snide and hilarious and his delivery is classic and perfect. Alas, it’s too small a role to really rank any higher.

9 points: Matt Dillon, There’s Something About Mary (Karma Police)

As one of the funnier performance and roles in a movie loaded with hilarious bits, I really liked Dillon’s portrayal of a big-teethed private eye in love. His performance is completely unapologetic and a lot of fun.

10 points: Robert De Niro, Analyze This (Tremendous Upside)

The movie itself is somewhat forgettable, but in Analyze This, De Niro says f#ck it and satirizes himself and every mob cliché’ he can think of, including the new (at the time) HBO hit “The Sopranos.” The performance is over the top, but he’s clearly having fun, and we hadn’t seen him generate laughs on his own like this in, well, ever. The real comedy, though, comes from his chemistry with Billy Crystal and the understated performance of his henchman, Jelly.

Dramatic Actor in a Comedic Role (cont.)

11 points: George Clooney, O’Brother Where Art Thou? (Joffer)

Clooney’s performance in this Cohen Bros. satirical romp was tough to rank. It’s moved up and down over the last few months, til I finally had to just place him here. I love the Cohen Bros., but I was never fully satisfied with this film—it always felt like it was never greater than the sum of its parts. Similarly, my impression of Clooney’s performance ranges from great to understated, from clever to simple bad acting.

12 points: James Caan, Bottle Rocket (Bobby Layne)

The first of two performances from a Wes Anderson film, Caan’s performance, and the role as written, were sharp, fresh, and funny. It gets slightly screwed here by the size of the role, and the fact that I almost always think Caan’s having a good time, even when he’s playing the heavy. But he really plays Mr. Henry with some gusto.

13 points: Henry Fonda, Cheyenne Social Club (Mrs. Rannous)

I typically have a difficult time finding old comedies funny. The sense of humor doesn’t always ring with me, as comedy and “what’s funny” has evolved so much over the years that my tastes tend to lean toward later periods of comedy that occurred during my own evolution and era. Same really goes for a lot of dramas. That said, I’d never seen this movie until it was time to judge it, and I really liked it. Henry Fonda was particularly funny in it, and for my money, stole the real laughs from Jimmy Stewart.

14 points: Johnny Depp, Pirates of the Caribbean (Mister CIA)

I loved this movie and Depp’s take on Jack Sparrow when the movie came out, but in this case I admit to being tarnished by a key factor. The sequels: I’ve tried hard not letting them or their quality affect my judging on this one role in this singular movie—but in a way they’ve all melded together because Depp’s Jack Sparrow has become an annoyance that I would just as soon smack as laugh at. That said, he was brilliant that first time out.

15 points: Sir John Gielgud, Arthur (Val Rannous)

I thought Sir Gielgud’s performance was perfect. While Dudley Moore spearheaded most of the chuckles and easy drunken laughs, Gielgud’s dry and sarcastic butler Hobson carried most of the dry and deep humor, and nearly all of the emotional weight. Upon re-watch, I noticed that many, if not most, of his scenes, while funny, were incredibly touching and sometimes sad. Like a few other roles in this portion of the ranking, Hobson might suffer a bit here due to the role’s breadth and emotional range.

Users who are viewing this thread