What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What did you overcome to make your title game? (1 Viewer)

houston

Footballguy
Sure, many teams playing in their championship games have rosters full of P Manning, Charles, and Graham. Others had to scratch and claw their way. How did you overcome your draft mistakes, and what in-season pickups saved your year?

12 team league

Bad: Drafted David Wilson early as RB2. Relied on Julio as WR1. Traded for Arian Foster 3 weeks before he got hurt. Sat on Percy Harvin all year long.

Good: Drafted Seattle D. Picked up Julius Thomas after week one. Rode him and Jordan Cameron at TE and flex spots for many weeks. Picked Vereen and Ball up off of waivers. Got 1 useful week out of Mike James.

12 team league

Bad: Drafted Richardson and M Ball early. Relied on Julio as WR1. Sat on Percy Harvin all year long. Drafted Rodgers at QB.

Good: Drafted Woodhead late. Ryan Mathews has been huge in 2nd half. Picked up Foles after Rodgers' injury. Got a few useful weeks out of Boykin and Terrance Williams. Picked Edelman up off of waivers.

12 team ppr

Good

Drafted Charles 1st rd 10th overall he was my #2 overall player on my draft board behind Megatron. Drafted Dez in 2nd Stafford in 5th and Gronk in 6th

Bad

Drafted MJD and Bowe back to back in 3rd and 4 th rd

Started season 1-3 got a total of 5 pts out of TE position first 5 wks. Traded Stevie Johnson for Josh Gordon after wk #1. Picked up Jordan Reed week before he blew up and Gronk came back traded Jordan Reed and Gordon for Gore and Boldin. ( still kicking myself for that one) picked up Andre Ellington wk before he blew up traded him in 3 player deal for Brandon Marshall

Started 1-3 I've since gone 9-1 championship game this wknd 2nd in last 3 yrs

12 Team - H2H - PPR

Our playoffs are 2 weeks for each round

I'm the #1 Seed going up against the last seed.

I was down 83pts after the 1st week of round 1 because I left Reggie in the lineup when he got injured @ GB

My only quarterback was RGIII and of course that whole fiasco happened, so I #YOLO'd it and started Kirk Cousins and bench Jordy Nelson for C.Patterson

He has Demariyus Thomas, Josh Gordon, and Shane Vereen as his big boys...so I knew I was screwed...... I needed a miracle

DT and Vereen combined for 12pts total and all of my guys went nuts.

I won by 1 freakin point to make it to the Finals

Last edited by a moderator:
My starting WRs at the beginning of the year were Reggie Wayne and Miles Austin. I traded for Alshon Jeffrey and am now starting him with Riley Cooper.

I also had to go through transitions at QB and RB. I was using Terrell Pryor and eventually shifted to Ryan Tannenhill. I was starting Fred Jackson at RB while Le'Veon Bell was hurt and made the switch once Bell started outperforming Jackson.

In another league, I have Aaron Rodgers. When he got hurt, I picked up Keenum, who was playing well. But I also traded for Rivers in case Keenum couldn't keep it up. Now I've got Rivers going this week.

I was also using Victor Cruz, but was actively seeking a new WR as his slump kept getting worse and worse. I traded for Cooper, but am going with Marques Colston who I picked up shortly after someone else dropped earlier this year...

Won my last regular season game by three tenths of a point to get in the playoffs.

My first-round opponent last week brain-locked and started Wes Welker and Cecil Shorts, so I won in a walkover. Won't happen this week against the #1 team.

The Bad - Drafted T-Rich in the first (ahead of McCoy and Lynch, good God) and Wilson in the 4th before Lacy.

The Good - Dez in late round 2, Jimmy G. in early round 3

The Great - Josh Gordon in the 8th, steal of my draft probably.

Beat the Manning team in the semi when he had his down-ish game against the Chargers. In the bowl but not likely to win.

Bad - my 2nd and 3rd round picks (Rodgers and Julio Jones) missed significant portions of the season.

Good - hit a home run in rounds 1 and 4 (Charles and Lacy.) Made one great late round pick (Blackmon.) Waivers were good to me - at various times throughout the season, picked up Stacy, J. Reed, Cutler, Roethlisberger, Jeffery, R. Cooper, Delanie Walker from waivers.

Hit the QB carousel dead on in the latter half of the season (started RG3, Roethlisberger, McCown when they had big games.)

Made 3 trades that worked out for me;

Stacy, Witten, Blackmon (the week before the suspension) for R. Bush, G. Tate, Shorts 3.

Welker and Ben Tate for Brandon Marshall - immediately flipped Marshall and Riley Cooper for Josh Gordon and Jordy Nelson, this was 2 days before Gordon's 1st 200 yard game.

Bad: Drafted D. Martin in Rd 1 and D. Wilson in Rd 2. So, both of my starting RB's were for ####. Started out 0 -3.

Good: Picked up Alshon and Stacy off waivers early. Drafted Lacy and Gordon. Somehow managed to plug Romo and RG3 in at the right time.

Got lucky when I needed to....playing the #1 team this weekend for the whole enchilada.

Bad- CJ Spiller (been scrambling to make up not having an RB1 to compete with the other teams in the league all year)

Good- Drafted Gordon late, picked up Stacy on the wire, made up for the gaping RB1 hole all year.

That said, I am in the finals and a significant underdog, because my opponent has Peyton to my Brees (on the worst week possible), McCoy to my Stacy, and equivalent receivers. I think the magic carpet ride that saw me at 3-4 moving to 10-5 ends now.

Lost Doug Martin and he did crap when healthy. :rant:

Lost David Wilson, had Ball and Moreno early and dropped both :wall:

Traded Decker for Jordy Nelson :thumbup: Lost Rogers :X

Streamed Defenses and Kickers and got lucky all year :thumbup:

Drafted brees, Lacy and D.Thomas and Antonio Brown.

Finished 4th and crushed the #1 seed last week by 60 points :D

Didn't set my lineup the week after Det and Den had a bye. Lost that game which lost me the #1 seed (by 1 game) and so I faced the team that didn't go off last week.

Some horrible picks in my 10 team league

1-Martin

2-Richardson

5-Cruz

6-Bowe

10-Finley

How the hell did I make it?

Drafted Ronnie Hillman instead of Knowshown Moreno

Traded for David Wilson after week 1.

Picked up Benny Cunningham instead of Zac Stacy

2 of my 3 teams in the playoffs look completely different than the teams I drafted.

One of my teams my 1st 2 picks were Spiller and Richardson, yet somehow I ended up finishing 3rd in the regular season and now I'm a win away from the title. Also had RG3 as my QB, traded for Cobb the week before he got hurt, have an injured Roddy White and held onto an injured Vereen most of the way.

My other team lost Cobb, Foster, and Blackmon yet I finished 2nd in the regular season and am playing for a title. Also had RG3 as the QB on this team and Richardson was also my 1st rounder.

I'd like to think I did some amazing in-season management of those 2 teams to get this far. Some key pickups or late round picks on those teams were Lacy, Allen, and Cameron.

Bad 1) Traded for TRich 2) Drafted L.Miller 3) lost Julio

Good 1) Drafted every Eagle I could get my hands on 2) Scooped up K. Allen

Had to win week 13 to even make the playoffs.

1st Rd) KC D/St, and grabbed M.Reese off of WW

2nd Rd) grabbed Asiata off WW

Championship) I'm screwed, no WW magic this week, but just happy to be here and in the $$$

I lost the first half of my draft to injury or incompetence:

-Doug Martin

-Julio

-Cruz

-Wayne

-DMAC

-Gronk

and here I am in the final with the "awesome" powerhouse team of

Foles

Moreno

Woodhead

Tate (which is now Rainey this week)

Keenan Allen

Riley Cooper

Late draft fliers and luck as can be waiver claims saved me.

$2 in FABB literally changed everything as I put in a $1 bid on Rainey early just because I had Martin then I outbid another guy by $1 on Woodhead.

IF I win this weekend it will be incredibly bitter-sweet because I'm sure I will look back at it and it will be the most satisfying job of working a team I have ever done but it has not been fun AT ALL and it clearly underscores just how goofy this game is if I can duct tape a team of players that no one had given any value to before the season began and can beat a team with legitimate players on it.

3 of my first 4 picks were Ray Rice, Julio Jones, and Hakeem Nicks, Vick was my QB, and Bradshaw was my only bench RB.

12 team, 2 player keeper with Spiller and Morris as my keepers.

Good - Drafted Peyton with my first round pick, picked up Keenan Allen, and Carolina Defense.

Bad - Drafted Bowe with my second round pick and my third round pick Wayne got hurt. Also drafted Mike Williams and stashed Harvin on my bench all year only to never have him leave it. Needless to say my WRs have been a patchwork all year.

Started off 1-3, and then won 5 in a row, before losing 3 more games. Had to win my final game to get in at 7-6 and I did so. Ironically I am now playing that same team for the super bowl this week.

My core has been Peyton, Morris, Witten, Allen, Carolina. Beyond those players I have sprinkled in the likes of Fred Jackson, Ben Tate, Riley Cooper, and Terrence Williams to get to the super bowl. Hasn't been a pretty season but luck has been on my side this year more than others.

Manning and Allen have saved my team this season.

I overcame J. Charles' once-in-a-decade performance last week and won the game when J.Tucker made that 61 yard FG. I'm considering changing my name to the JustinTuckers for next year.

3 of my first 4 picks were Ray Rice, Julio Jones, and Hakeem Nicks, Vick was my QB, and Bradshaw was my only bench RB.
What are you rolling in with? Kinda fun to see the scrap teams we put together.
Foles

Gore

Gio (got him back in a Rice trade), had been using a lot of Ellington though

K Allen

Edelman

Hilton (although I am starting Crabtree this week)

V Davis

Chiefs/Cards

I had a 32 point lead going into Monday night and my opponent had Megatron and Pitta going(PPR). Fortunately Calvin had an off night and I squeezed through. :moneybag: Also overcame Jamaal Charles superhuman performance in another league to move on. :cool:

Started 0-5 and was points leader at that time. Got in the playoffs the final week at 8-6. Had to root for another team to win their matchup and out score them by 35. Somehow it all clicked.

I overcame a league full of #####ing whiners complaining about the rules of the league and whining about a guy (me) who was smart enough to draft two elite QBs back to back to start the draft in a start 2 QB league and proceeded to decimate the rest of the league who weren't smart enough to do that.

I was down by 0.7 on Tuesday morning. Mystery stat correction Thursday morning and I won by 1.3. (I am not commish.)

Bowe and Hartline were my #1 and 2 all season. Arian Foster was my 1st round pick.

Thankfully Jimmy Graham and KC carried me.

Bad: Lost Rodgers, AP, Gronk, Wayne, Reed, Drafted Moreno and dropped him for L.Bell who I traded for Colston (and then dropped)

Good: Foles, Vereen, Stacy, KC all in free agency

Making terrible trades. I mean absolutely awful trades.
I did this to in my keeper league except I didn't really overcome anything and proceeded too lose 9 straight games....Finnished 2-11.

So yeah...
I started 0-3. Figured I had to take some chances. I thought they were good trades at the time. Somehow I only went onto lose one game the rest of the year and here I am waiting for championship Sunday.

I took McCoy in the first and then spent the season overcoming the trio of Rice, L Miller and Vereen (injury).

Drafted Richardson in both leagues that I made the title game.

Overcame by also taking Calvin and Lacy in both...and picking up Moreno very early on.

Drafted David Wilson in the 3rd Round

Drafted Gronk in the 5th Round, My replacement Finley (9th round) went down.

Drafted Kaep in the middle rounds because 11 QBs were off the board already. He lost me week 2 and week 3.

Drafted Givens, Britt, and Miles Austin as my mid/late round WR.

I was saved by Charles and Chris Johnson as my 1st two picks and due to WW maneuvering to obtain Cutler/McCown, Vereen, Jeffery, Keenan Allen, Delanie Walker (last week), and the Chiefs D (week 2).

I offered and was turned down foles for Reuben randle to the vick owner in a 2qb 12-team league.

I accepted Charles for Morris/Edelman

I reached for Keenan Allen

Steven haushka has been bringing it all year

Key Injuries: Julio Jones (IR), McFadden (I know, shocking), AD for playoffs

Bad Picks/gambles that didn't pan out: McFadden, Justin Blackmon (but did get a couple big games at least)

Kaep was disappointing, but got a decent season between he and Russel Wilson.

Key Pickups: Andre Brown, Todman (yea, he is probably starting)

Biggest WTF were you thinking?: Picked up Zac Stacy and then dropped him a couple weeks later. Yea.

Lineup will be something like: Kaep, AD, Todman, AJ Green, Jordy, Olsen, Nugent, PIT

3 out of first 4 picks were trich, spiller, wilson in a 12 team work league. benched romo, now going with cousins, vereen, todman, marshall, gordon, jordy/andre brown, olsen, rams, dawson.

I pulled my groin overly celebrating Greg Jennings surprise performance last week, but I'll be ready to go by kickoff tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread