What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Greatest Frontman of All Time (1 Viewer)

This is one where the era they were in determines it.

For 60's & 70's, was anyone greater than Jagger, Daultry or Plant? Mercury in there too.

80's Axl, Tyler and Dickinson for me.

90's Wieland, Vedder and Groehl IMO.

2000's Bellamy and I'm sure there are others that escape me right now.

I think Ozzy Osbourne deserves to be in this discussion. Ozzy fronting Black Sabbath was magic. Thundering, powerful black magic of epic proportions. Incredibly formidable.

Paul Stanley needs to be mentioned as well. So cheesy, but absolutely perfect. The legendary front man of one of the most successful bands of all time deserves some consideration here.

Paul Stanley needs to be mentioned as well. So cheesy, but absolutely perfect. The legendary front man of one of the most successful bands of all time deserves some consideration here.
Stanley isn't the front man.

Vedder has similar traits to Mercury IMO with the way he moves the crowds, but just does it on a smaller scale and doesn't have the mass appeal that Queen did....however, he obviously gets points for the duration.

Some great names missed so far: Lemmy, Strummer, and Lou Reed.
Peter Gabriel is another worthy of mention. EDIT: Ian Anderson is another one of the best unmentioned.

Post #51 was a long wait to see Roger Daltrey's name thrown out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Peter Gabriel is another worthy of mention. EDIT: Ian Anderson is another one of the best unmentioned.

Post #51 was a long wait to see Roger Daltrey's name thrown out.
Are solo artists being considered? If so David Bowie is a top 5 easily
I meant PG for Genesis ... didn't mean to confuse.

Probably less theatrical than the very top frontmen, but Steve Perry can hang with all but Mercury on vocals.

Stanley isn't the front man.
That's a matter of opinion I suppose, but I respectfully disagree. I started listening to KISS about 35 years ago, and I've always considered Stanley as the "front man", even though Gene was always my favorite. He may not publicly say it to keep peace with the egotistical Gene, but I'm sure Stanley has always considered himself the front man.

GG Allin

Terrible musician and person but he beat up his audience and ate feces. That deserves a mention

rockaction said:
Ann Wilson acquits herself pretty well as the top female frontman. Just watching a lot of Heart on YouTube lately, and thought I'd throw that out there. At the top of her game, not many better.
Her rendition of the Anthem at the AFC Championships in Seattle this year was awesome.

I also just recently watched the 2013 RRHOF Induction, and they put on a great show. Ann and her sister Nancy make a pretty good 'frontman' team!

Phil anselmo
GG Allin

Terrible musician and person but he beat up his audience and ate feces. That deserves a mention
How many frontmans are you going to pick?
Is there a limit? Im not the only one who listed several.If the rules outline a double standard for me please send them to me.
Let me see if I can dig up the by-laws forum here...

Phil anselmo
GG Allin

Is there a limit? Im not the only one who listed several.If the rules outline a double standard for me please send them to me.
Ill just PM my posts beforehand so you can edit them. I hope you have enough red pens.

Phil anselmo
GG Allin

Ill just PM my posts beforehand so you can edit them. I hope you have enough red pens.
My inbox isn't big enough. Now, back on topic.

What about Bruce Springsteen? I'm not even a fan of his music but he brings it.
The Boss is not a FFA favorite but nobody puts on a live show like him. 3+ hours per show and he knows how to connect with his audience like no other.

Bruce Dickenson.

I've seen Tyler, Rose and Mercury live, among others, and nobody came close to Bruce.

Didn't see Jim Morrison mentioned but maybe I wasn't looking hard enough.

Agree with Insein that eras dictate, I voted Axel but I can think of different eras as well.

David Lee Roth from '78-'84 was a premier front man for a band to the point Van Halen bros got tired of him stealing all the thunder.

Michael Jackson for best front kid (Jackson 5).

Prince, if you count the revolution.

Agree with others, however. Mercury was the best.

Thom Yorke

Raine Maida
Hollywood Bowl sandwiched in box seats between Tim Roth and Mr. Pickles' mistress. From a musicianship standpoint he is on a totally different level, I realized that after getting to see him live…HOWEVER I would not say he is a front man in the sense that many are judging. His music excites you but his showmanship is not the big draw. Taking nothing away form probably one of the 5 most gifted mainstream musical groups but I would not enter him into a frontman contest.

Users who are viewing this thread