What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

:X Lakers 13/14 Thread: 6th Draft Slot "Locked Up" :BYE: (2 Viewers)

The Sunday home whites are...

• abominations

Votes: 65 58.0%
  • meh

Votes: 56 50.0%

• Total voters
While TGunz allies himself with multiple anti-Laker elements in freaking out because the Lakers (according to them) were stupid to hold out for half a warmed over ham sandwich for Chris Kaman, Pau Gasol, Jordan Hill and half the Laker Girls - the Lakers now sit alone at the very bottom of the Western Conference.

While TGunz allies himself with multiple anti-Laker elements in freaking out because the Lakers (according to them) were stupid to hold out for half a warmed over ham sandwich for Chris Kaman, Pau Gasol, Jordan Hill and half the Laker Girls - the Lakers now sit alone at the very bottom of the Western Conference.
:thumbup:

Worst in the West isn't good enough, LA is still 5th in the ping pong ball race. Trading those clowns would likely have resulted in a loss Fri vs. Boston, moving them up to 4th and only 1 game behind Orlando for 3rd. And with those 3 still on the roster, catching Philly at this point is a pipe dream.

Say goodbye to Andrew Wiggins, Mitch and Jimbo, you ####### idiots. :wall:

:thumbup:

Worst in the West isn't good enough, LA is still 5th in the ping pong ball race. Trading those clowns would likely have resulted in a loss Fri vs. Boston, moving them up to 4th and only 1 game behind Orlando for 3rd. And with those 3 still on the roster, catching Philly at this point is a pipe dream.

Say goodbye to Andrew Wiggins, Mitch and Jimbo, you ####### idiots. :wall:
The only reason they won on Friday is because guys they traded for in the Blake salary dump went bonkers and pulled out the game in the 4th quarter. Up until the Brooks/Bazemore show, they were down 11 and well on their way to another loss.

They've lost this much already with Gasol and Kaman on the roster - I don't think they're going to have a sudden win explosion here. I didn't hear of any market at all for Kaman, the only deal that was rumored for Hill was the Nets and it didn't sound too urgent from their side. I have a hunch Gasol is the Lakers' backup plan when they don't land any worthwhile high priced free agents in the offseason. Keep in mind, if they do land him for a deal in the 10-12 million range, (I figure for 2 years right along with Bryant) he becomes a potentially attractive trade piece. They just have to end up somewhere near the top of the lottery and then the NBA will rig it so they get the Wiggins pick. :ninja:

And they won't be over the salary cap next year (unless something crazy happens like LeBron opts out and they do sign him), so the repeat offender thing won't come into play.

Last edited by a moderator:
The lakers have always been one of the best franchises in sports, this season tarnishes that

Lakers fans hoping for losses..how sad

i guess this franchise just sin't what i used to be, but hey, at least Kobe is getting paid

The lakers have always been one of the best franchises in sports, this season tarnishes that

i guess this franchise just sin't what i used to be, but hey, at least Kobe is getting paid
it's simple. Unlike most other cities who hand banners for division titles, we want rings. Quickest way to get rings is get a top pick (like they did getting Kobe) and pairing that up win a big FA move.Rooting for a team to get to the 8 seed is sentencing your team to death.

bagger said:
B-Deep said:

it's simple. Unlike most other cities who hand banners for division titles, we want rings. Quickest way to get rings is get a top pick (like they did getting Kobe) and pairing that up win a big FA move.Rooting for a team to get to the 8 seed is sentencing your team to death.
The team i was a fan of never wanted to suck, they were good WITHOUT having to suck

It would be fitting it Lebron went to the Clippers and completed the turn cycle, the student becomes the master and strikes down the lakers in their own city

just another franchise now, another poorly run one at that

Every team goes through down years. Especially in this salary cap era, it cannot be avoided. I've been alive for nearly 36 years and this will only be the third time in my life that the Lakers have missed the playoffs. The Lakers didn't go into this season intending to tank. They did what they could after having one of the best centers in the league bail to put out a team that could make the playoffs. But injuries derailed those hopes. With the season already lost to injuries, it's better to outright suck this year -- particularly since they don't have a first rounder in coming years -- than to be middling. There's no shame in sucking for one year when everything went wrong (and, in addition to injuries, the Lakers wouldn't be in this spot if David Stern hadn't rejected the Chris Paul trade to get the Pelicans a worse deal.) Lakers fans won't put up with prolonged sucking, and hitting big on a draft pick combined with a top free-agent signing is the quickest way to rebuild. Whether to have faith in this regime to do the building is another story.

You could really see Gasol frustrated last night when he was heading to the bench in the 4th during a timeout when they were down ~24. Its a shame Gasol couldn't go to a contender this year, he deserves to.

Timmay said:
You could really see Gasol frustrated last night when he was heading to the bench in the 4th during a timeout when they were down ~24. Its a shame Gasol couldn't go to a contender this year, he deserves to.
:shrug: I don't think any contenders could afford him this year. Next year will be a different story.

Timmay said:
:shrug: I don't think any contenders could afford him this year. Next year will be a different story.
Suns. The Lakers just wanted too much. Not to say the Suns were contenders for a title with Gasol but a playoff team for sure.

Timmay said:
Suns. The Lakers just wanted too much. Not to say the Suns were contenders for a title with Gasol but a playoff team for sure.
I read the hangup was that Gasol was injured and not playing and the Suns wanted to see him play a few before they would have been comfortable trading for him. Even with Gasol, the Suns maybe win a first round series at the most.

Timmay said:
I read the hangup was that Gasol was injured and not playing and the Suns wanted to see him play a few before they would have been comfortable trading for him. Even with Gasol, the Suns maybe win a first round series at the most.
Mitch/Jimbo had months to deal Pau. It should never have come down to the Suns insisting on seeing Pau for a few games just before the deadline.

If the Lakers miss out on Wiggins by a game or two, this decision will haunt the franchise for years. Just absolutely ZERO reason to still have Pau on the roster for the remainder of the season.

Timmay said:
True. I heard it had a little bit to do with both, Gasol being injured, and the Lakers asking too much since he was injured. The Suns probably wouldn't even get out of the 1st round with Gasol. The west is brutal.

Timmay said:
Mitch/Jimbo had months to deal Pau. It should never have come down to the Suns insisting on seeing Pau for a few games just before the deadline.

If the Lakers miss out on Wiggins by a game or two, this decision will haunt the franchise for years. Just absolutely ZERO reason to still have Pau on the roster for the remainder of the season.
Please do enumerate all the wins that should have been losses sans Gasol (and Kaman and Hill if you want to). I don't think it matters nearly as much as you. They weren't catching the Bucks regardless and probably not the 76ers either.

Timmay said:

Please do enumerate all the wins that should have been losses sans Gasol (and Kaman and Hill if you want to). I don't think it matters nearly as much as you. They weren't catching the Bucks regardless and probably not the 76ers either.
Sure. Post deadline, the non-trades have already cost us the Boston game. So that's 1.

Right now that's the difference between the 4th and 5th pick. So we're down 1 slot currently due to wanting to keep Pau, Caveman, and Hill around, and we're now 3 games ahead of Orlando for the 3 slot instead of 2.

Timmay said:

Sure. Post deadline, the non-trades have already cost us the Boston game. So that's 1.

Right now that's the difference between the 4th and 5th pick. So we're down 1 slot currently due to wanting to keep Pau, Caveman, and Hill around, and we're now 3 games ahead of Orlando for the 3 slot instead of 2.
You mean the game the Lakers were down 11 in the 4th, took the "starters" out and then had Bazemore and Brooks go haywire to pull out the win?

Timmay said:

You mean the game the Lakers were down 11 in the 4th, took the "starters" out and then had Bazemore and Brooks go haywire to pull out the win?
Yep. Look at the box and how much Pau, Hill, and Kamen contributed. W/o them, we lose by 20.

Timmay said:

Yep. Look at the box and how much Pau, Hill, and Kamen contributed. W/o them, we lose by 20.
Pau didn't even play in the 4th quarter - when the Lakers made their come back.

Timmay said:

Pau didn't even play in the 4th quarter - when the Lakers made their come back.
Correct. You don't think Pau's 16-7-3 were helpful? Or Kamen's 16-8-3, on 7/9 shooting? Hill had 10 and 12, with 3 blocks.

Take their 75 minutes played, and distribute those minutes to Robert Sacre, Ryan Kelly, and a street Free Agent. You think there wouldn't be a difference?

Correct. You don't think Pau's 16-7-3 were helpful? Or Kamen's 16-8-3, on 7/9 shooting? Hill had 10 and 12, with 3 blocks.

Take their 75 minutes played, and distribute those minutes to Robert Sacre, Ryan Kelly, and a street Free Agent. You think there wouldn't be a difference?
Sure there'd have been a difference - more touches for Bazemore and Brooks - Lakers would have won by even more.

Sure there'd have been a difference - more touches for Bazemore and Brooks - Lakers would have won by even more.
:doh:

Fair enough. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one gb.

Any chance Nash retires after this year or are the Lakers stuck with him?
He's still planning on playing again this year. Ostensibly it's to gauge whether it's feasible for him to play next year. But it's all on him now that he's played 10 games this year - that guaranteed his contract for next year if decides to keep playing.

TGunz: How did they not trade Farmar before the deadline?!?!? He almost made them not lose last night!

By the way, have I mentioned how much I dislike D'Antoni? Hey Mike - you're a lousy coach, Gasol can't call you out enough.
Yeah, the fact that Bazemore comes in and starts getting Kobe-like FGAs is baffling. And it's mind boggling that D'Antoni doesn't understand why that would frustrate Pau.
:yes:

On the other hand, maybe D'Antoni is just trying to sabotage Pau's psyche again so he doesn't ruin the Lakers' tanking operation.

But I think it's funny D'Antoni starts talking about how much potential Bazemore has on D when he's justifying his minutes while completely ignoring his shot selection/volume. Yes Mike, you just love defensive potential, don't you?

There has been no talk of hiring another coach. Do the Lakers really want his guy coaching their high draft pick?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_draft_lottery

According to the chart mid-page, the team with the worst records can't get a draft position below 4th, right?
I believe that's correct, only the top 3 spots are up for grabs, after that it goes in order of worst record of remaining teams.
Then why do they bother with the envelopes? LIke's a big surprise who get's pick #8?
Well, we don't if any of the non-top 3 worst record teams got lucky, so the order isn't exactly pre-determined.

Acting!

Nash plays exactly the number of games needed to F the Lakers for next year, then shuts it down. So annoy.

If they were aware of the concept that winning now can only hurt them, they would have lost. Lakers can't do anything right.

Users who are viewing this thread