What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Help snip and clip a feral colony (1 Viewer)

simey

Footballguy
Hey Everyone,

I'm trying to raise $500 more dollars to help spay and neuter a feral colony that is near where I live. There are about 50 cats there, and I (and a couple others) have been trying for a year 1/2 to get help in trapping these ferals to get them fixed, and then released back into their colony. Three organizations have finally agreed to help. They have raised most of the funding, but we are still a little short to do the whole 50 alley cats that live in the commune (and there may end up being more than 50). The cats will also be given rabies shots, dewormed, given a flea treatment, and be treated for ear mites. The date for the mass trappings and spay/neuter clinic is the last weekend in April. In the meantime, I am going to try and trap some of the pregnant females (and whoever else I can) before then. I trapped one pregnant female yesterday, and she was fixed today, and I will release her back into her colony tomorrow. Getting these felines fixed is important to me, so I thought I'd see if anybody here would like to help out by donating any amount. Just PM me for my paypal if any of you would like to help.

:thanks: simey

I'd contribute for a Shotgun Fund to exterminate the vermin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody says more stuff in bad taste and at the wrong time than I do, but can y'all cool it with the shtick here? I know simey and know that this is something she really is invested in.

Exterminate.
Do you know how many birds they kill each week?
This is no schtick.

http://www.wbez.org/blogs/chris-bentley/2013-01/cats-kill-billions-birds-each-year-study-says-105233

Fine, I understand having a pet. And they kill birds, but there is a reason why people have pets, and I think those reasons are valid.

But feral cats??? Doesn't anybody care about thousands, even millions of birds?
1 billion birds die each year following collisions with buildings. Say yes to suburban sprawl and say no to bird genocide.

Exterminate.
This is no schtick.

http://www.wbez.org/blogs/chris-bentley/2013-01/cats-kill-billions-birds-each-year-study-says-105233

Fine, I understand having a pet. And they kill birds, but there is a reason why people have pets, and I think those reasons are valid.

That's a kickass looking cat at the top of that article.

Cats eat birds. Birds eat bees. We need more bees.

Therefore, we need more cats. Don't argue... It's science.

Nobody says more stuff in bad taste and at the wrong time than I do, but can y'all cool it with the shtick here? I know simey and know that this is something she really is invested in.
Some of us think spending this much time, energy and money on a pack of stray cats is in bad taste.

Exterminate.
This is no schtick.

Then why are you spaying them? They reproduce if not spayed. It's science.

Exterminate.
This is no schtick.

Then why are you spaying them? They reproduce if not spayed. It's science.
I believe you have me confused with someone else. It happens.

Some of us think spending this much time, energy and money on a pack of stray cats is in bad taste.
Bad taste? Really? Whose money, energy, & time is being spent? It's a fact that there are feral colonies of cats out there and it's also a fact that there are people who would rather take a more humane approach to keeping that population down. If you think the best method is to use bullets, that's your right I guess. But don't use lame assed jokes to #### on someone's thread who believes different and is actually trying to help the problem.

My ex does this as well as a private cat rescue. She's currently waiting on her non profit status from the IRS...she's done TNR on dozens and dozens of local cats with the help of a couple of other non profits that work with the SPCA.

Good luck, I know first hand the work and costs involved in doing this. Its nice to see people trying to help the problem rather than ignore it.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not a believer in TNR because feral cat colonies are a major nuisance in my experience. They should be humanely trapped and euthanized. A feral cat has about the same value to the community as a cockroach or rat.

I'm not a believer in TNR because feral cat colonies are a major nuisance in my experience. They should be humanely trapped and euthanized. A feral cat has about the same value to the community as a cockroach or rat.
Thankfully the three businesses where the ferals live and roam don't share your view. The ferals keep the mice and rats out of the storage unit rentals, and keep the rats and mice away from the italian restaurant. The other business doesn't mind them living in and under their sheds, abandoned cars, vans, and trailers located in the back of their business. They aren't bothering anyone. My user name simey derived from one of my cats named Simon. I usually called him Simey. He was once a feral, and he was absolutely awesome, and he had great value to me.

Thankfully the three businesses where the ferals live and roam don't share your view. The ferals keep the mice and rats out of the storage unit rentals, and keep the rats and mice away from the italian restaurant. The other business doesn't mind them living in and under their sheds, abandoned cars, vans, and trailers located in the back of their business. They aren't bothering anyone. My user name simey derived from one of my cats named Simon. I usually called him Simey. He was once a feral, and he was absolutely awesome, and he had great value to me.
:thumbup:

Hey Everyone,

I'm trying to raise $500 more dollars to help spay and neuter a feral colony that is near where I live. There are about 50 cats there, and I (and a couple others) have been trying for a year 1/2 to get help in trapping these ferals to get them fixed, and then released back into their colony. Three organizations have finally agreed to help. They have raised most of the funding, but we are still a little short to do the whole 50 alley cats that live in the commune (and there may end up being more than 50). The cats will also be given rabies shots, dewormed, given a flea treatment, and be treated for ear mites. The date for the mass trappings and spay/neuter clinic is the last weekend in April. In the meantime, I am going to try and trap some of the pregnant females (and whoever else I can) before then. I trapped one pregnant female yesterday, and she was fixed today, and I will release her back into her colony tomorrow. Getting these felines fixed is important to me, so I thought I'd see if anybody here would like to help out by donating any amount. Just PM me for my paypal if any of you would like to help.

:thanks: simey
Instead of paypal, couldn't you use http://www.gofundme.com/ and have a link ready for easy donations? I'm not a cat person per se but Mrs. SDS is big into animal rescues (currently have 3 rescue dogs, 3 rescue cats, 5 guinea pigs, 8 mice... if we get 40 days of rain soon, you can blame her)...

Exterminate.
This is no schtick.

Evolution is a itch.

Exterminate.
This is no schtick.

I've never had a cat poop on my car. Or on my head at a park or beach.

Exterminate.
This is no schtick.

Then you haven't lived.

Exterminate.
This is no schtick.

Then you haven't lived.
:lol:

Both of my cats were feral kittens. One is very smart and weary of strangers and vehicles. The other is, um, "special". He's always rolling over and falling off of stuff, and would take a nap in the middle of the street. :rolleyes: I can almost guarantee he will try to bring a live bunny into the house this Spring.

Last edited:
Good for them. In a residential area it's a different story and that's the experience I was referring to. There was a crazy cat lady who collected the damn things and let them roam free, and they did a lot of damage. The rodent control was nice for sure, but not worth the ruined landscaping, the urine odor on our porches, the sheer volume of their feces in flower beds, and occasionally stumbling on their carcasses. It got so bad that people moved away just because of the cat problem.

Exterminate.
This is no schtick.

Survival of the fittest IMO. We'll end up with a bunch of really smart, fast birds.

Good for them. In a residential area it's a different story and that's the experience I was referring to. There was a crazy cat lady who collected the damn things and let them roam free, and they did a lot of damage. The rodent control was nice for sure, but not worth the ruined landscaping, the urine odor on our porches, the sheer volume of their feces in flower beds, and occasionally stumbling on their carcasses. It got so bad that people moved away just because of the cat problem.
Probly should have called Animal Control or the local humane society/ASPCA. Its not good for the cats either to not be medically care for by the crazy lady (who Im sure didnt neuter or spay them).

Instead of paypal, couldn't you use http://www.gofundme.com/ and have a link ready for easy donations? I'm not a cat person per se but Mrs. SDS is big into animal rescues (currently have 3 rescue dogs, 3 rescue cats, 5 guinea pigs, 8 mice... if we get 40 days of rain soon, you can blame her)...
I'm sure that would have been easier. I am a rookie fundraiser. I didn't know we didn't have enough funding to do 50 cats until yesterday morning, and there is a good possibility there are a few more than 50. For some reason one of the organizations doing the funding thought there were 25 to 30 cats, but I have always said 50+, and so has the other person who has corresponded with them. Now they realize the 50 number is real. Anyway, I tried to make some website that had a donate button in it, but when I clicked on the the button it showed all of my paypal content. :o I tried to do it over, and again the same thing happened. I got frustrated, and just decided to do it this way.

Strangely, I started getting a quote of the day a week ago emailed to me. I don't know if someone signed me up for it or what, but there is one I got last week that I really like, and I'd like share it as a part of my gratitude to those who have showed kindness to me and to these ferals:

Let us be grateful to people who make us happy, they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.

― Marcel Proust

Thanks for being my gardeners.

Bad taste? Really? Whose money, energy, & time is being spent? It's a fact that there are feral colonies of cats out there and it's also a fact that there are people who would rather take a more humane approach to keeping that population down. If you think the best method is to use bullets, that's your right I guess. But don't use lame assed jokes to #### on someone's thread who believes different and is actually trying to help the problem.
We can joke about terrorism, the economy, slavery, and religion...

but spaying feral cats is no joking matter, people.

SERIOUS BUSINESS

Probly should have called Animal Control or the local humane society/ASPCA. Its not good for the cats either to not be medically care for by the crazy lady (who Im sure didnt neuter or spay them).
They didn't have the budget to actually trap the cats, but they said we were within our rights to trap them ourselves, which I and some other neighbors did for a while. I was driving to the SPCA twice a week with 2 or 3 cats at a time. The cat lady just kept getting more, and of course they breed prolifically, so it was a waste of time. We had some TNR volunteers come in as well, but that doesn't really help since the goal is only to stabilize the population rather than remove them. And as far as TNR itself, I question whether it's ever a worthwhile practice. Obviously the animals are invasive if they require human intervention to control their population. They don't normally exist in the wild, so they don't have natural predators. In many places it's perfectly legal to shoot feral pigs and other invasive animals, why not cats?

Oh sure...it was the cats...

Sure it wasn't the McGarnicles down the road?

;) :D

I'm sure that would have been easier. I am a rookie fundraiser. I didn't know we didn't have enough funding to do 50 cats until yesterday morning, and there is a good possibility there are a few more than 50. For some reason one of the organizations doing the funding thought there were 25 to 30 cats, but I have always said 50+, and so has the other person who has corresponded with them. Now they realize the 50 number is real. Anyway, I tried to make some website that had a donate button in it, but when I clicked on the the button it showed all of my paypal content. :o I tried to do it over, and again the same thing happened. I got frustrated, and just decided to do it this way.

Strangely, I started getting a quote of the day a week ago emailed to me. I don't know if someone signed me up for it or what, but there is one I got last week that I really like, and I'd like share it as a part of my gratitude to those who have showed kindness to me and to these ferals:

Let us be grateful to people who make us happy, they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.

― Marcel Proust

No prob, Simey... it's just that the gofundme.com link is great for social media so you can cast a wider net for people who may want to help and easy to share so those people can share with their circle of friends too. PM your info and I'll be glad to help :)

I'm sure that would have been easier. I am a rookie fundraiser. I didn't know we didn't have enough funding to do 50 cats until yesterday morning, and there is a good possibility there are a few more than 50. For some reason one of the organizations doing the funding thought there were 25 to 30 cats, but I have always said 50+, and so has the other person who has corresponded with them. Now they realize the 50 number is real. Anyway, I tried to make some website that had a donate button in it, but when I clicked on the the button it showed all of my paypal content. :o I tried to do it over, and again the same thing happened. I got frustrated, and just decided to do it this way.Strangely, I started getting a quote of the day a week ago emailed to me. I don't know if someone signed me up for it or what, but there is one I got last week that I really like, and I'd like share it as a part of my gratitude to those who have showed kindness to me and to these ferals:

Let us be grateful to people who make us happy, they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.― Marcel Proust

So $500 for 50 cats this year, but you know all the cats won't be trapped, so they'll continue to breed, and other ferals will be introduced, so this will need to be a yearly effort. Forever. Then consider that this colony will certainly expand into areas where they aren't wanted, and there will be people not as humane as you who strongly object to the cats' presence. It's a simple equation of biology and math that doesn't need much explanation, and sooner or later it leads to mass euthanasia of cats that have invaded an area. It sucks, and honestly it makes me sick to think of all the animals that are euthanized every year, and it leads me to the conclusion that feral colonies need to be aggressively removed rather than merely controlled, as early as possible. Rodent control is a weak argument because surely the monetary cost to an exterminator is much less than the cost of these TNR programs over time, and the cost borne to the cats in the form of disease, suffering and inevitably being euthanized. In a nutshell...Let's try to place generation A in loving homes now, or failing that (because they're feral after all), humanely euthanize them, because generations B, C, D, etc. will be even less adoptable, and their numbers exponentially greater. Let's kill as few animals as possible.

I share your love of animals and admire your efforts here, but I simply disagree that this is an effective and humane method.

So $500 for 50 cats this year, but you know all the cats won't be trapped, so they'll continue to breed, and other ferals will be introduced, so this will need to be a yearly effort. Forever. Then consider that this colony will certainly expand into areas where they aren't wanted, and there will be people not as humane as you who strongly object to the cats' presence. It's a simple equation of biology and math that doesn't need much explanation, and sooner or later it leads to mass euthanasia of cats that have invaded an area. It sucks, and honestly it makes me sick to think of all the animals that are euthanized every year, and it leads me to the conclusion that feral colonies need to be aggressively removed rather than merely controlled, as early as possible. Rodent control is a weak argument because surely the monetary cost to an exterminator is much less than the cost of these TNR programs over time, and the cost borne to the cats in the form of disease, suffering and inevitably being euthanized.In a nutshell...Let's try to place generation A in loving homes now, or failing that (because they're feral after all), humanely euthanize them, because generations B, C, D, etc. will be even less adoptable, and their numbers exponentially greater. Let's kill as few animals as possible.

I share your love of animals and admire your efforts here, but I simply disagree that this is an effective and humane method.
It cost over $2,000 for 50 cats, but some of the funding was already in the Meow Fund, but not enough, and this organization helps other colonies in the county as well. If we don't get them all, I will make every effort to trap the ones that aren't caught. As for stray ferals joining a neutered/spayed colony, once ferals are fixed it is rare for them to allow new ferals into their colony. There are several colonies that have lived in this county for years, and they have not gotten any bigger, and they are in locations where they don't bother anyone. Live and let live. The cats just eventually die off just like us humans do.

I'm not interested in debating you on the value of feral colonies. I don't mean this rudely, but you said your peace on how you feel about feral colonies earlier, so I don't know why you are still going on about it. You aren't interested in contributing to the feral fund, which is fine, so just be on your way. Scram!

Just don't you go trappin' and snipping any feral girl scouts, hear?
Loretta, the feral that was fixed yesterday looked like a girl scout, but she was really a whore, but not no more. she'll be selling cookies by the dumpster soon.

Users who are viewing this thread