What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

[DYNASTY] Is Jonathan Stewart a buy low? (1 Viewer)

What stands out to me about Gaffney in those clips is his almost total lack of hip flexibility/lateral agility.

Very straight-line athlete. Really struggles to plant and cut.

What stands out to me about Gaffney in those clips is his almost total lack of hip flexibility/lateral agility.

This guy does not look like an NFL RB. Stiff. Has good straight line speed and good strength, but he doesn't get his pads down for contact and he has no wiggle.

Interesting looking at Stewarts contract- http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/jonathan-stewart/

2014 785,000 1,800,000 - 1,357,000 - 643,000 - 4,585,000 18,185,000

2015 4,250,000 1,800,000 - 1,357,000 250,000 643,000 - 8,300,000 13,600,000

2016 5,000,000 1,800,000 - 1,357,000 750,000 643,000 - 9,550,000 7,300,000

2017 5,500,000 - - 1,357,000 750,000 643,000 - 8,250,000 3,500,000

Still a lot of dead money to cut him next season.

Last edited by a moderator:

This guy does not look like an NFL RB. Stiff. Has good straight line speed and good strength, but he doesn't get his pads down for contact and he has no wiggle.
Yea. Watching him and then watching Ameer Abdullah is an interesting contrast. They're like two different species entirely.

Yea. Watching him and then watching Ameer Abdullah is an interesting contrast. They're like two different species entirely.
Yes. Abdullah reminds me of Warrick Dunn or even...no blasphemy intended--Barry Sanders. He is on the small side, but runs big, and man o man, he has wiggle!

That offensive line is going to be porous. I'd like to but Stewart in redraft at least but I'm not sure anybody can run effectively behind that line.

We are still talking about Jonathan Stewart? Wow.

Walking infirmary. How could you ever depend on this guy. In a redraft...he can be had as a very late round flier. So I guess as a RB5 on your bench he may be worth a lotto ticket?

But I would not buy that one. 90% shot at a losing bet. He can't stay on the field.

as an end of draft flyer? i'll bite (if he's still healthy come draft time....if). other than that, no thanks.

Fred Taylor ended his career staying rather healthy, and very productive. So yeah, I hope Stewart does end up exactly like Fred Taylor. Best case scenario really

I was googling DeAngelo Williams to see if that guy is planning on actually getting old any time soon, and I came across this funny nugget.

"I joked with people that my fantasy value went up after we got rid of our four receivers, but it’s the truth," Williams said. "I went from probably being drafted in the fifth and sixth round to being in the first round, me and Jonathan (Stewart) alike because we have no receivers." We found this more humorous than helpful, but it's a slow news day. Williams rushed 201 times for 843 yards (4.19 YPC) and three touchdowns last season. He turns 31 in two weeks.
I'd like to see the league where DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart are 1st round picks.
The Marty Hurney Unemployed GM Invitational League

Fred Taylor ended his career staying rather healthy, and very productive. So yeah, I hope Stewart does end up exactly like Fred Taylor. Best case scenario really
I think that was his point. Problem is, Taylor started his healthy streak in his 5th season and Stewart is already entering his 7th.

I think that was his point. Problem is, Taylor started his healthy streak in his 5th season and Stewart is already entering his 7th.
/EBF/ Taylor had much more wear (touches, yards, catches, production, TDs) in 5 years than Stewart did entering his 7th so obviously Stewart is a buy low. /EBF/

Rotoworld:

Jonathan Stewart - RB - Panthers

Jonathan Stewart has been an active participant throughout the offseason program.

Given Stewart's injury history, it's newsworthy when he's actually practicing during the spring/summer. This is the healthiest he's been since before the 2011 season, when he proceeded to average a career-best 5.35 YPC on 142 rushes while playing in all 16 games. Still just 27 years old, Stewart still has a chance to resurrect his career while sharing the reps with DeAngelo Wiliams. There's more upside for the Panthers here than fantasy owners.

Source: ESPN.com

Jun 12 - 11:27 AM

Rotoworld:

Jonathan Stewart has been an active participant throughout the offseason program.

Given Stewart's injury history, it's newsworthy when he's actually practicing during the spring/summer. This is the healthiest he's been since before the 2011 season, when he proceeded to average a career-best 5.35 YPC on 142 rushes while playing in all 16 games. Still just 27 years old, Stewart still has a chance to resurrect his career while sharing the reps with DeAngelo Wiliams. There's more upside for the Panthers here than fantasy owners.

Source: ESPN.com

Jun 12 - 11:27 AM
... fool me 3 times shame on me, fool me 4 times shame on me, fool me 5...

I don't see big redraft value for either Williams or Stewart this next season, as they should cancel each other out. Williams is 31 years old though and his skills should be declining soon if they aren't already. Probably the most realistic optimistic scenario for Stewart is that he stays healthy this season, plays well, and sets the table for maybe becoming the outright guy in 2015 when Williams will be 32 years old. Slight chance he could seize the role this year, but you have to figure it will be RBBC and in that case the ceiling for either guy is probably a RB3 or a weak RB2.

The thing is they are being drafted so late, you can get them both for peanuts. If I get a RB3 value out of my 12th and 15th rounder I'd be happier than a pig on Pluto.

Rotoworld:

According to the Charlotte Observer, Jonathan Stewart "showed great burst every time he touched the ball" during spring practices.
Stewart is 27 and DeAngelo Williams is 31, so this season the gap between the two should be much smaller. Stewart is as healthy as he's ever been in his NFL career, while Williams is in his annual-decline phase. Stewart's current fantasy Average Draft Position is undrafted. Considering the cost, Stewart is one of our favorite 2014 running back sleepers. He's never been this cheap.

Source: Charlotte Observer

Jonathan Stewart pulled his hamstring prior to training camp and will miss the first 1-2 weeks.
Coach Ron Rivera says the pull isn't as serious as some hamstring injuries can be, and added that Stewart will remain on the active roster. Still, it's not the way to start off a season for a player that's missed so much practice time due to nagging injuries over the last few years. DeAngelo Williams will soak up first-team reps as he forges his nose in front of this committee attack.
Related: DeAngelo Williams

Jul 24 - 12:32 PM

First thing I did taking over an RB talent deprived dynasty roster was sell JStew for peanuts. Hard to believe he had any value frankly.

Jonathan Stewart pulled his hamstring prior to training camp and will miss the first 1-2 weeks.
Coach Ron Rivera says the pull isn't as serious as some hamstring injuries can be, and added that Stewart will remain on the active roster. Still, it's not the way to start off a season for a player that's missed so much practice time due to nagging injuries over the last few years. DeAngelo Williams will soak up first-team reps as he forges his nose in front of this committee attack.
Related: DeAngelo Williams

Jul 24 - 12:32 PM
Call me shocked

So who is the play as a RB here in Carolina in dynasty? Anything worthwhile on the current roster? In my 10 team 2QB league, I don't think any of the backs are even rostered at this point .

I had a lot of hope for Stewart and almost picked him up about a week ago. Instead I picked up Cecil Shorts. Also hurt.

Users who are viewing this thread