What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2014 Oakland Raiders Regular Season Thread (1 Viewer)

Thanks for sharing. The stats that jump out:

• Graded at -4.2 on 3rd-and-10+.

• Second-lowest grade when blitzed (-11.1).

These are the money plays that separate solid QBs from the fringe. I hope the online is improved this season!

I like it. I think it emphasizes what I perceive to be the focus of their offseason strategy which is building leadership, chemistry and a winning mentality. It sucked losing Veldheer and Houston but it really seemed that almost every acquisition brought in Super Bowl experience. IIRC they brought in 11 Super Bowl appearances and 7 Super Bowl rings and that is what this offseason has been all about, changing team culture and creating an atmosphere of winning.

Sadly the Raiders face the toughest schedule a team has seen in the last five years so it might not show up in the win-loss columns but if they can manage to win enough games to prevent Davis from blowing up the experiment prematurely then I truly believe it will have been worth the losses of Veldheer and Houston. As talented as they are I don't think they were in a position to change the culture of the franchise.

I keep reading over and over raves about Rivera. From what I have seen Ausberry is still ahead of him on the depth chart.... is it a matter of time before Riversa surpassed him or is this camp fluff?

http://www.mercurynews.com/raiders/ci_26266077/oakland-raiders-mychal-rivera-setting-his-sights-high
In my opinion, the fact that Ausberry is listed as the #1 TE despite Rivera playing all last season signifies that Oakland's FO and coaches have a lot of faith in Ausberry. His ceiling is obviously much, much higher given his athletic profile.

I wouldn't count on Rivera having much value unless Ausberry suffers another injury.

All kinds of wrong intel on that take above. What about Ausberry's nine career catches in 4 seasons convince you that Rivera is just going to fade away?

As has been mentioned, Ausberry has been in the league a few years now and never done a thing. I am not buying him at all. Rivera showed some promise as a rookie and I would be very surprised if he did not have more value than Ausberry.

I keep reading over and over raves about Rivera. From what I have seen Ausberry is still ahead of him on the depth chart.... is it a matter of time before Riversa surpassed him or is this camp fluff?

http://www.mercurynews.com/raiders/ci_26266077/oakland-raiders-mychal-rivera-setting-his-sights-high
IMO Rivera is the better receiving TE. I hope he gets more playing time then Ausberry.
I never understood Ausberry. You would think a converted WR would be able to do some damage in the passing game. I have not seen anything from him. Though I do remember he had some injury issues.

In my opinion, the fact that Ausberry is listed as the #1 TE despite Rivera playing all last season signifies that Oakland's FO and coaches have a lot of faith in Ausberry. His ceiling is obviously much, much higher given his athletic profile.

I wouldn't count on Rivera having much value unless Ausberry suffers another injury.
And yet I have not read one little mention about Ausberry and comment after comment after article about Rivera from camp.

As has been mentioned, Ausberry has been in the league a few years now and never done a thing. I am not buying him at all. Rivera showed some promise as a rookie and I would be very surprised if he did not have more value than Ausberry.
Rivera has been and will be more valuable than Ausberry. Ausberry is basically free right now in any format.

As for why Aus hasn't done anything in his few years..he was drafted as a high upside project (WR converting to TE). Kevin Boss and Brandon Myers were entrenched incumbent starters so nobody expected Aus to contribute much, if anything as a rookie. He played sparingly in year 2 due to blocking issues. He did really well in year 3 camp and was slated to be the starter but was injured in the preseason and missed the entire year (in which Rivera started in his absence).

So year 4, the last of his rookie deal, he's atop the depth chart again.

Aus starting shouldn't be a surprise

Rivera has been and will be more valuable than Ausberry. Ausberry is basically free right now in any format.

As for why Aus hasn't done anything in his few years..he was drafted as a high upside project (WR converting to TE). Kevin Boss and Brandon Myers were entrenched incumbent starters so nobody expected Aus to contribute much, if anything as a rookie. He played sparingly in year 2 due to blocking issues. He did really well in year 3 camp and was slated to be the starter but was injured in the preseason and missed the entire year (in which Rivera started in his absence).

So year 4, the last of his rookie deal, he's atop the depth chart again.

Aus starting shouldn't be a surprise
Is this Ausberry's agent?

Scott Bair@BairCSN 3h
TE David Ausberry missed practice with a knee injury.

Last edited by a moderator:
Knee surgery for Ausberry.
Source?
Rotoworld:

Raiders TE David Ausberry is undergoing knee surgery on Wednesday.
As is his custom, coach Dennis Allen was unnecessarily vague when discussing Ausberry's injury, only disclosing that he was undergoing a "procedure." It's almost certainly a scope. Although minor, it's likely to knock Ausberry out for the entirety of the preseason, and leave him questionable for Week 1. Ausberry had been running as the Raiders' de facto starter at a position they don't have an answer for. Now 2013 sixth-rounder Mychal Rivera is in the driver's seat. It's a situation to avoid in fantasy leagues. Aug 5 - 8:49 PM
Source: Paul Gutierrez on Twitter

I won't get to see the game tonight until I watch the DVR's replay at some point Monday. (NFL Network, Saturday night 1 a.m., by the way!). Have visitors all weekend.

But: There's a ton to watch.

All the rookies, I am stoked that I expect Carr to see at least a half of action. I actually wonder if the Raiders won't play starters more than most teams in the preseason because of all the new faces, in the name of chemistry.

Ton to watch.

I'm really looking forward to the game tonight. I want to see the young guys play well tonight. I'm really looking forward to watching Justin "Jelly" Ellis give Bridgewater a "Jelly Sandwich" (sack him).

I wanna see Mack do the honors of first sack of the season. But there should be plenty of opportunities for Jelly. I want to see first hand all the rave reviews and what his teammates have been gushing about. I guess I'll be disappointed if Mack is anything less than phenominal. :towelwave:

Good news in August. Reshad Jones, starting safety for the Fins, will miss 4 games with a suspension. Game 4? Vs Oakland.

It didn't look good last night, which could mean nothing or be a bad omen. I am very skeptical about our QB play. Seems like every practice he throws one or two INTs. My gut says it will be better than last year, but that may come from someone other than Schaub. If we can get the OLine shaped up we will be competitive. Penn is the key. Sparano better coach his ### off. I saw some things I like on defense, so I am very optimistic about that side of the ball.

Like you 32CP, I am skeptical of Schaub. His passes look flat, and not a lot spin on them. Carr has a juggs machine compared to him. But Carr has big time mechanics issues. Trouble setting his feet, squaring up, and following thru. We saw this from his college tape. When the rush comes at him, he stutter steps and throws it away. Like to see him stand in there and take a solid hit on a fully executed follow thru. I guess the jury is still out on both of them. McGloin looked at least capable, but to be fair he was playing against the scrubs. MJD and DMC look ready. Should just put them on ice. I feel very good about the run game. Penalties were ridiculous but I think that's an abbération. Second team defense looked better than first team, and there's no way you can take Sio off the field. He looked like a playmaker on just about every play he was out there.

I joked to my longtime Raider-hating buddy a month or so before the draft that the Raiders would draft Derrick Carr and sign Matt Schaub to teach the kid how to be a bummy NFL QB. Carr reminds me of Kerry Collins. These two are going to cost Reggie his job.

We are of like minds! The fact there there were some players on on second defense that shine is a great first step: building depth. There were enough players that flashed to give me hope!

Same 'ol Raiders. First play of the season: false start. First offensive series: 3 and out. First team defense makes Matt Cassell look like Dan Marino and they drive down the field and score an easy TD. Pretty uninspired effort in my opinion.

Watched it on DVR, finally. Will watch again.

My only thought on the QBs was Carr was decisive, but maybe was underestimating the receiver, wasn't leading them enough. With the penalties, it was rough to guage the QBs.

I like Latavius, he was quick and decisive, and not as tall a runner as I thought.

Once the linemen were finished false starting, the all blocked well. Run blocking was much, much better. Penn, Watson, Wiz, Jackson all looked good to me.

Denarius is one of the 4 best WRs on this team, if he gets cut, it'll be a mistake.

We lost Houston, but the D-line is much better, and deeper. Obviously Harris, #75, flashed the most, but with Ellis, McGee, Woodley, Tuck, etc., there's just more good bodies there.

Linebackers are really a lot faster now. With Mack and Moore, no reason too many outside runs should get the corner. Mack wasn't perfect, but he'll make impact plays.

DBs looked the worst. No depth, we can't lose any starters, and we need Hayden back, and playing decent.

Guy I work with referred to the raiders as joke land. I just smiled uncomfortably muttered under my breath and walked away. :(

I finally had to unfollow the Raiders' twitter account.

They NEVER STOP TWEETING....

"And here is David Ausberry getting a drink of water during practice today."

Never followed it. I follow the beat writers, figure they will retweet anything important.

Nick Kasa blew an ACL, done for the year. We need some tight ends.

Fantasy-wise, FBG has Streater ranked slightly ahead of Holmes. I'm not seeing it. Rod is a nice, reliable target but there's nothing really noteworthy about him I think Holmes has the chance to be special. Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Fantasy-wise, FBG has Streater ranked slightly ahead of Holmes. I'm not seeing it. Rod is a nice, reliable target but there's nothing really noteworthy about him I think Holmes has the chance to be special. Guess we'll find out soon enough.
Streater - the most under-rated WR in the NFL...even by their own fans!

Streater - the most under-rated WR in the NFL...even by their own fans!
He's underrated? I'd be curious to hear how highly you'd rank him. Above other players perceived to be better than him? Such as ____________?

And what do you see his final numbers looking like?

P.S. It's not like I said he was garbage. I think he's just a guy. And Holmes is more talented.

Users who are viewing this thread