What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

League member wants to drop Peterson.....moral issue!.. Commish ne (1 Viewer)

kencav

Footballguy
Rolling waivers......first come first serve. This would be an unprecedented drop of a top 4 player whose disposition we are not aware of

As Commish i am confused as to what to do......freeze him.....have a lottery.... do not allow the drop.

We are a serious long standing league.....feel this would disrupt the leagues competitive balance

Thanks in advance.

I would not allow it until you get a vote from all the owners. Everyone is OK with it or the majority then go ahead. If someone else wants to roster him and gamble then let htem go for it. It only disrupts the balance if Peterson is rolling come next Sunday. If he is out for 6 games then someone is going to roster him without being able to use him for about half the season, that's quite a chunk.

That is unprecedented in my leagues. Here is what I would do (but just my opinion):

Announce the situation to the league.

Put ADP on a league wide trading block.

Allow the ADP owner to take the best trade offer in exchange for ADP.

If no acceptable offers are made, I would then have a lottery.

This is the kind of thing I open up to the league because feelings on this are going to be diverse. I'm not sure if it's possible per your leagues particular setup but since the guy wants to drop him (presumably to pick up someone he believes to be useful to himself right now) you consider adding him to IR manually until the league decides what action to take. It puts him out of the player pool and allows the guy who owns him to have the extra spot.

If the league decides to allow the drop as normal, then I'd just run normal waivers IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is unprecedented in my leagues. Here is what I would do (but just my opinion):

I think this is a great idea. Have every owner offer 1 trade. Tell the ADP owner he must accept one of the offers.

This is the kind of thing I open up to the league because feelings on this are going to be diverse. I'm not sure if it's possible per your leagues particular setup but since the guy wants to drop him (presumably to pick up someone he believes to be useful to himself right now) you consider adding him to IR manually until the league decides what action to take. It puts him out of the player pool and allows the guy who owns him to have the extra spot.
Excellent. Problem solved. Let this guy snag whoever he wants and just say this is a special case and we need to make sure everyone is treated with respect here including the other 11 owners.

why does a commissioner (or any other leaguemates) have a say? Everything mentioned above is absolutely and utterly ridiculous.

Excellent. Problem solved. Let this guy snag whoever he wants and just say this is a special case and we need to make sure everyone is treated with respect here including the other 11 owners.
no it's not a good solution at all. ADP's situation is not at all unique. This is not the first time an active player is facing a suspension.

I think this is a great idea. Have every owner offer 1 trade. Tell the ADP owner he must accept one of the offers.
why does the ADP owner have to do anything?

Rolling waivers......first come first serve. This would be an unprecedented drop of a top 4 player whose disposition we are not aware of

As Commish i am confused as to what to do......freeze him.....have a lottery.... do not allow the drop.

We are a serious long standing league.....feel this would disrupt the leagues competitive balance

Thanks in advance.
Here's the only thing you should do: allow the owner to drop him if that's what he wants.

Anything other than that is a blatant overreach.

I've given my opinions on this in the locked thread on page 1. I don't feel like getting a TO for explaining it again since the mods think I'm fishing.

no it's not a good solution at all. ADP's situation is not at all unique. This is not the first time an active player is facing a suspension.
Sure but the owner is doing something that only a small number of owners are going to do and that's cut him. I doubt anyone in the FFPC is cutting ADP as we speak over morality.

I think in a regular local league of guys that has been together a very long time, nothing wrong with going the extra mile and just make sure everything is kopasetic. The owner of ADP is not being stopped in any way with this scenario. And you are defusing a potential bomb from blowing up in your face. I think it's a perfect solution. Do you Commish? Just asking because it's a royal PIA and that's why the other 11 don't do it.

I've given my opinions on this in the locked thread on page 1. I don't feel like getting a TO for explaining it again since the mods think I'm fishing.
Frankly, this is so ridiculous that it feels like I've been fished already.

Thanks in advance.
Here's the only thing you should do: allow the owner to drop him if that's what he wants.Anything other than that is a blatant overreach.
I disagree......as Commish I feel I am responsible for league integrity......this is not a normal situation. Between this and Rice we are dealing with unusual moral issues which transcend fantasy.

Maybe this is me with a hook in my mouth. I dunno. Commish stuff is not my favorite thing.

If the owner wants to drop him because he's disgusted, that's his choice as an owner. Just like it is for the Vikings.

If another team is not disgusted and wants to pick him up, that's their choice too. Just like real life.

If I were the commish, I would let the owner drop him. And not do anything.

J

Sure but the owner is doing something that only a small number of owners are going to do and that's cut him. I doubt anyone in the FFPC is cutting ADP as we speak over morality.

I think in a regular local league of guys that has been together a very long time, nothing wrong with going the extra mile and just make sure everything is kopasetic. The owner of ADP is not being stopped in any way with this scenario. And you are defusing a potential bomb from blowing up in your face. I think it's a perfect solution. Do you Commish? Just asking because it's a royal PIA and that's why the other 11 don't do it.
I don't commish right now but I have in the past.

As an owner, if I were aware someone were going to drop ADP and if I had the #1WW priority, I'd raise holy hell if the commish was acting outside of established rules/customs/precedent.

How often does a player drafted in the top 5 have this hanging over their head after 1 week of football? He doesn't want him to be able to drop AP because if he plays, the person who picks him up gets a huge advantage for being top waiver priority, but the guy wants to drop him. To open up a slot. I mean you could allow the drop and put out a league wide message stating no one can pick him up until a league wide vote too. Does the same thing.

The guy with AP probably will not be able to pick up much of anyone in a waivers priority system at this point anyways. Both AP backups are probably already rostered considering waivers already processed and this broke last night. He's almost certainly not going to get anyone he can play this week. In the meantime you are not allowing him on waivers for someone to "accidentally" pick up

Sure but the owner is doing something that only a small number of owners are going to do and that's cut him. I doubt anyone in the FFPC is cutting ADP as we speak over morality. I think in a regular local league of guys that has been together a very long time, nothing wrong with going the extra mile and just make sure everything is kopasetic. The owner of ADP is not being stopped in any way with this scenario. And you are defusing a potential bomb from blowing up in your face. I think it's a perfect solution. Do you Commish? Just asking because it's a royal PIA and that's why the other 11 don't do it.
Sure but the owner is doing something that only a small number of owners are going to do and that's cut him. I doubt anyone in the FFPC is cutting ADP as we speak over morality. I think in a regular local league of guys that has been together a very long time, nothing wrong with going the extra mile and just make sure everything is kopasetic. The owner of ADP is not being stopped in any way with this scenario. And you are defusing a potential bomb from blowing up in your face. I think it's a perfect solution. Do you Commish? Just asking because it's a royal PIA and that's why the other 11 don't do it.
Agreed MOP thanks for your insight.

Changing rules mid-season should require unanimous support. I don't see how it could work any other way.

How often does a player drafted in the top 5 have this hanging over their head after 1 week of football? He doesn't want him to be able to drop AP because if he plays, the person who picks him up gets a huge advantage for being top waiver priority, but the guy wants to drop him. To open up a slot. I mean you could allow the drop and put out a league wide message stating no one can pick him up until a league wide vote too. Does the same thing.

The guy with AP probably will not be able to pick up much of anyone in a waivers priority system at this point anyways. Both AP backups are probably already rostered considering waivers already processed and this broke last night. He's almost certainly not going to get anyone he can play this week. In the meantime you are not allowing him on waivers for someone to "accidentally" pick up
If the player wants to control ADP's FF stats, all he has to do is not start him. The privledge of maintaining that kind of control costs a roster spot.

If you want that roster spot back, the owner is free to open the vote to the rest of the league, but this is not something the commish should act on.

This is not unique, and the high draft spot of ADP should have no bearing on how he is treated.

No waiver priority till Tues waivers....,till Sunday at 100 first come first serve so forts person that sees AP on waiver wire dropped can pick him up.....including me?.

I have spent the last 1/2 hour emailing back and forth with league mate......he says he will bench AP for now.....we have 20 man rosters...and perhaps offer him up for trade to the league.

He said he understood my circumstances and did not want to upset the competitive balance. He was purely doing this on moral/ ethical grounds.

Agree with many above. I wouldn't treat this any differently than any other player drop.

If you did it this time, where would you draw the line next time? If it was someone like Le'Veon Bell, would that warrant an exception?

Questions like this aren't when you CHANGE your rules, its why you have them in the first place.

How often does a player drafted in the top 5 have this hanging over their head after 1 week of football? He doesn't want him to be able to drop AP because if he plays, the person who picks him up gets a huge advantage for being top waiver priority, but the guy wants to drop him. To open up a slot. I mean you could allow the drop and put out a league wide message stating no one can pick him up until a league wide vote too. Does the same thing.The guy with AP probably will not be able to pick up much of anyone in a waivers priority system at this point anyways. Both AP backups are probably already rostered considering waivers already processed and this broke last night. He's almost certainly not going to get anyone he can play this week. In the meantime you are not allowing him on waivers for someone to "accidentally" pick up
If the player wants to control ADP's FF stats, all he has to do is not start him. The privledge of maintaining that kind of control costs a roster spot.If you want that roster spot back, the owner is free to open the vote to the rest of the league, but this is not something the commish should act on.

This is not unique, and the high draft spot of ADP should have no bearing on how he is treated.
It does have bearing. These guys are not droppable on many sites for a reason. Because of how huge of a deal it is to get AP for free if he plays. This kind of thing can so rarely come up that it deserves special treatment in local leagues IMO. Put it this way, is there any other player that right now you would consider spending 100% FAAB on?

This is a terrible solution. You're setting a precedent that an owner who has a player with potential issues gets an extra roster spot until the issue is resolved. He gets to keep the player until the situation is determined, plus play an extra player until then. What happens next time? You gonna allow the guy who drafts Josh Gordon get a free pick right after too? And give him extra roster space as well?
I think many of you are assuming or making statements based on how you would twist the rules. It's a special case and nothing is being set up as precedent. Not yet anyways.

On a sidenote without derailing this...IMO I think this past week is going to make an already big target on NFL players even bigger.

Back to this issue. I have one league where we have played together with very few new owners for the last 20 years. We have had to make some special concessions for different issues over the years but the owners know that the Commish always acts in whatever is best for the league. I love this little peanuts and squirrles league, it's a 180 from the cut throat all internet draft type leagues so many of us fill our calendars with. But this one league is different and I would never get upset with the Commish in that league because I know how diffcult it is and also it is one of the last real people leagues I am in.

I plunked down my 350 for FFPC but it is so impersonal, no chatter on our league message board, nothing.

I support the OP in doing things slowly and also ensuring that all 12 owners are treated fairly here. The ADP owner is not being deprived of anything. The other 10-11 owers will probably appreciate the Commish for not cutting Peterson into the FCFS pool. Just my guess.

Maybe this is me with a hook in my mouth. I dunno. Commish stuff is not my favorite thing.

If the owner wants to drop him because he's disgusted, that's his choice as an owner. Just like it is for the Vikings.

If another team is not disgusted and wants to pick him up, that's their choice too. Just like real life.

J
This

It's not the job of the commish to mid season say who can or can't be dropped. You should have created a "can't cut" list or rule before the year.

I have spent the last 1/2 hour emailing back and forth with league mate......he says he will bench AP for now.....we have 20 man rosters...and perhaps offer him up for trade to the league.

He said he understood my circumstances and did not want to upset the competitive balance. He was purely doing this on moral/ ethical grounds.
9.9/10 on the dramaqueenometer. But if he wants to drop him and the settings allow it, there is no reason that he shouldn't be allowed. How does the guy with the #1 waiver priority feel about this?

Thanks in advance.
Here's the only thing you should do: allow the owner to drop him if that's what he wants.Anything other than that is a blatant overreach.
I disagree......as Commish I feel I am responsible for league integrity......this is not a normal situation. Between this and Rice we are dealing with unusual moral issues which transcend fantasy.
League integrity is letting him run his team. Maybe he believes Peterson is finished. So he can't pick up his desired target now---he needs to wait until his target possibly blows up this weekend and someone else takes him?

I would tell the owner that he won't be saving the world by dropping him and that it's only fantasy football.

It's not the job of the commish to mid season say who can or can't be dropped. You should have created a "can't cut" list or rule before the year.
Goodell makes the rules up as he goes along, that's who I use to emulate the way I commish...I used Bill Clinton as my role model for women as a young lad :)

I always look to the leaders for leadership.

I like this idea. Owner should trade if he has an issue with Peterson.

Goodell makes the rules up as he goes along, that's who I use to emulate the way I commish...I used Bill Clinton as my role model for women as a young lad :)

Absurdity aside, I don't recall Goodell telling the Ravens that they couldn't drop Ray Rice.

I like this idea. Owner should trade if he has an issue with Peterson.
Owner should do what he wants with Peterson.

Inform the league that the drop is going happen, to avoid insider advantage.

Advise the league to make offers to the owner before he drops him.

If no trade is made, let him drop.

Absurdity aside, I don't recall Goodell telling the Ravens that they couldn't drop Ray Rice.
No but he did pass a new law on a 6 game suspension for domestic violence and then retried Ray Rice after he already handed down Rice's sentence so let's please set the absurdity aside.

The guy that has the top waiver priority has earned the right to pick up any free agent or any player that is dropped. That's how rolling waivers works. He didn't jump at the first waive of waiver wire all stars and therefore he gets the benefit. Simple as that.

The best commisioners are the ones that let everyone run their team the way they want to and doesn't step in unnecessisarily when there are clear rules/proceudres in place.

why does a commissioner (or any other leaguemates) have a say? Everything mentioned above is absolutely and utterly ridiculous.
I agree, Don. If the guy wants to drop Peterson and the league does not have a "can't cut" list, then Peterson should be able to be dropped.

The guy that has the top waiver priority has earned the right to pick up any free agent or any player that is dropped. That's how rolling waivers works. He didn't jump at the first waive of waiver wire all stars and therefore he gets the benefit. Simple as that.The best commisioners are the ones that let everyone run their team the way they want to and doesn't step in unnecessisarily when there are clear rules/proceudres in place.
I could be wrong but I think this is just a straight cut and into the FCFS portion of the week. Waiver ran on Wed or Thurs is my assumption but perhaps that is false.

Thanks in advance.
Here's the only thing you should do: allow the owner to drop him if that's what he wants.

Anything other than that is a blatant overreach.
I agree.

I don't see why there's any need to do anything.

Goodell makes the rules up as he goes along, that's who I use to emulate the way I commish...I used Bill Clinton as my role model for women as a young lad :) I always look to the leaders for leadership.
No but he did pass a new law on a 6 game suspension for domestic violence and then retried Ray Rice after he already handed down Rice's sentence so let's please set the absurdity aside.
re-suspending Rice was a terrible move and cost Godell a lot of respect. IMO he should be removed from office. He has had a long string of poor decisions that have cost the league office immeasurably in terms of integrity. This is not the man you want to be modeling yourself after.

The guy that has the top waiver priority has earned the right to pick up any free agent or any player that is dropped. That's how rolling waivers works. He didn't jump at the first waive of waiver wire all stars and therefore he gets the benefit. Simple as that.

The best commisioners are the ones that let everyone run their team the way they want to and doesn't step in unnecessisarily when there are clear rules/proceudres in place.
I have already stated their is no waiver priority after initial waiver run Wed am......

J
This was my first thought, too. But I see the merit in letting everyone make a trade offer for him.

All owners make a trade offer and the owner picks the one he likes best. If an owner doesn't want him he doesn't offer anything. If the AP owner doesn't like any offers, he drops him and picks up someone he likes on the waiver wire.

In reality, this in line with existing league rules. The owner could contact every owner and offer him in trade, and if he didn't like any of them he could drop him. So no special rules or twisting of protocol.

The only difference is the commish is hand-holding the owner's through the normal procedures. And that shouldn't be necessary, I agree. But that's a small accommodation to ensure it's handled as fairly as possible. In the end, all normal league rules were in place and uncompromised. That's a win, I think.

Very tough call here. I am not generally a fan of over-reaching commissioners. However--this could very well be categorized as player dumping---which in my experience has been frowned upon in pretty much every fantasy league that I have played in. This owner is admitting that he would be dropping an elite player (even though your league has very deep benches) solely because of moral issues--and not on the field production issues. I understand that it is his team--but it's also your league to run--and to maintain a fair competitive balance. With this being said--I think he should be talked into either holding him on his bench--or I would agree with the strategy of posting something on your message board and have any interested team owners offer trades.

Users who are viewing this thread