What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Blake Bortles - Official Thread (1 Viewer)

"Weird" is right, if you think Henne gives them a better chance to win. He's terrible. Barely completed 50% of his passes. Played so poorly, they had no choice but to yank him and they've been far more competitive behind Bortles.

Last edited by a moderator:
jurb26 said:
Things have gotten a bit weird in here.

Let me say this. Bortles has not played all that well thus far but I believe his future is extremely bright. There's no way to sugar coat it, he's struggling and simply isn't ready to play right now. Not surprising or any sort of dig at all. Jax is terrible, primarily on their oline and it's crippling this teams offense. Bortles has a YPA rating of 7.02 ranking 21 and QBR of 76.8 ranking 29 in the NFL. Those numbers just aren't good. He's making lots of repo okie mistakes and some of his passes/reads/decisions have just been ugly. I firmly believe Henne actually gives them a better chance to win right now. Is it really worth it to play Henne and simply makes the games a bit more competitive, though? Probably not. Bortles is getting valuable reps and learning to deal with duress. I think Jax sees something in him to lead them to believe he's capable of coming out of this a much smarter, stronger and developed passer or they wouldn't be doing it.

Watching Bortles play does not really align with his current stats or tangible performance. He looks comfortable despite the chaos. He makes all the throws, I can't believe how much better his arm looks now vs. UCF. He has a presence in the pocket and never seems to cower vs. the impending rush. He just looks like a future franchise QB. If and when they get the oline figured out I think he truly blossoms.
This has really been a waste of time. I don't mind hearing opposing opinions on players. That's how we cover all grounds. At some point it's counterproductive when everyone wants to bully each other to think exactly like they do. That's stupid. No way we can watch the same game and all have the same thoughts. It's beyond obvious that he still looks like a rookie. I'm not misinterpreting the numbers. Until there is more data available I won't throw him in the grave I built for him just yet. He does has nice physical tools to hang around in the league. His arm does look much stronger than I seen from his college tape. I don't agree that he'll be a franchise QB. That's all I meant and I'll stand by that. If anything changes, I'll be the first to point it out for sure.

GL if you all own him in your leagues. I'll be starting most defenses against him while you do ;) go Browns

jurb26 said:

Let me say this. Bortles has not played all that well thus far but I believe his future is extremely bright. There's no way to sugar coat it, he's struggling and simply isn't ready to play right now. Not surprising or any sort of dig at all. Jax is terrible, primarily on their oline and it's crippling this teams offense. Bortles has a YPA rating of 7.02 ranking 21 and QBR of 76.8 ranking 29 in the NFL. Those numbers just aren't good. He's making lots of repo okie mistakes and some of his passes/reads/decisions have just been ugly. I firmly believe Henne actually gives them a better chance to win right now. Is it really worth it to play Henne and simply makes the games a bit more competitive, though? Probably not. Bortles is getting valuable reps and learning to deal with duress. I think Jax sees something in him to lead them to believe he's capable of coming out of this a much smarter, stronger and developed passer or they wouldn't be doing it.

Watching Bortles play does not really align with his current stats or tangible performance. He looks comfortable despite the chaos. He makes all the throws, I can't believe how much better his arm looks now vs. UCF. He has a presence in the pocket and never seems to cower vs. the impending rush. He just looks like a future franchise QB. If and when they get the oline figured out I think he truly blossoms.
This has really been a waste of time. I don't mind hearing opposing opinions on players. That's how we cover all grounds. At some point it's counterproductive when everyone wants to bully each other to think exactly like they do. That's stupid. No way we can watch the same game and all have the same thoughts.It's beyond obvious that he still looks like a rookie. I'm not misinterpreting the numbers. Until there is more data available I won't throw him in the grave I built for him just yet. He does has nice physical tools to hang around in the league. His arm does look much stronger than I seen from his college tape. I don't agree that he'll be a franchise QB. That's all I meant and I'll stand by that. If anything changes, I'll be the first to point it out for sure.

GL if you all own him in your leagues. I'll be starting most defenses against him while you do ;) go Browns
Well I'll defer to your judgement then. You obviously know more than the folks who had to endure the slow torture of Chad Henne and Football Outsiders.

According to Pro Football Focus, Bortles finally earned a positive grade for his performance against the Titans. He completed 32-for-46 passes, threw for 336 yards, ran for another 38 yards and scored a touchdown. He had a few ill-advised passes, with the interception on the pass intended for Allen Hurns being the most egregious, but otherwise looked very good... especially when you consider it's only the third start of his career.

His 1.3 rating earns him 13th place for the week, above the likes of Aaron Rodgers, Nick Foles, and Peyton Manning.

Although I'd disagree with a few evaluations from Pro Football Focus (like the time they gave him the fourth-worst rating of the week against the San Diego Chargers) I'd have to say they have Bortles ranked appropriately. He could be a little higher, but it's close.

While his completion percentage was fourth-best of the week, his interception was a result of locking onto one receiver and not seeing the cornerback sitting on the route. And at least one, and possibly two, of the six sacks he suffered was directly his fault.

However, with a porous offensive line, a non-existent running game, and receivers who drop passes or fumble near the red zone, there's only so high of a grade you're going to be able to get as a rookie entering your third career start. With all that said, I think just outside of the top-10 is a good place to be.
http://www.bigcatcountry.com/2014/10/13/6970505/jaguars-pro-football-focus-blake-bortles-first-positive-grade

jurb26 said:

Let me say this. Bortles has not played all that well thus far but I believe his future is extremely bright. There's no way to sugar coat it, he's struggling and simply isn't ready to play right now. Not surprising or any sort of dig at all. Jax is terrible, primarily on their oline and it's crippling this teams offense. Bortles has a YPA rating of 7.02 ranking 21 and QBR of 76.8 ranking 29 in the NFL. Those numbers just aren't good. He's making lots of repo okie mistakes and some of his passes/reads/decisions have just been ugly. I firmly believe Henne actually gives them a better chance to win right now. Is it really worth it to play Henne and simply makes the games a bit more competitive, though? Probably not. Bortles is getting valuable reps and learning to deal with duress. I think Jax sees something in him to lead them to npbe,ieve he's capable of coming out of this a much smarter, stronger and developed passer or they wouldn't be doing it.

So you bash Bortles for his 7.02 YPA and you think Henne's 6.31 YPA gives them a better chance to win?

jurb26 said:

Let me say this. Bortles has not played all that well thus far but I believe his future is extremely bright. There's no way to sugar coat it, he's struggling and simply isn't ready to play right now. Not surprising or any sort of dig at all. Jax is terrible, primarily on their oline and it's crippling this teams offense. Bortles has a YPA rating of 7.02 ranking 21 and QBR of 76.8 ranking 29 in the NFL. Those numbers just aren't good. He's making lots of repo okie mistakes and some of his passes/reads/decisions have just been ugly. I firmly believe Henne actually gives them a better chance to win right now. Is it really worth it to play Henne and simply makes the games a bit more competitive, though? Probably not. Bortles is getting valuable reps and learning to deal with duress. I think Jax sees something in him to lead them to npbe,ieve he's capable of coming out of this a much smarter, stronger and developed passer or they wouldn't be doing it.

So you bash Bortles for his 7.02 YPA and you think Henne's 6.31 YPA gives them a better chance to win?
In what way did I bash him? His YPA isn't the only factor. It's like you guys are unwilling to acknowledge any criticism of him at all. He's a rookie and playing like it. He has a bright future. Somehow you take my post as a negative when in reality I thought far more of it was positive.

He shows flashes of being a capable starting NFL QB but IMO(after watching him in college and this far in the NFL) he's headed down the Tannehill type of path where every year that "upside" will decrease a bit in everyone's eyes and eventually he'll be an OK, but not so great starter.

ESPN Mike said:
He shows flashes of being a capable starting NFL QB but IMO(after watching him in college and this far in the NFL) he's headed down the Tannehill type of path where every year that "upside" will decrease a bit in everyone's eyes and eventually he'll be an OK, but not so great starter.
Everyone's got their opinion. Fine. I'm just puzzled how you can arrive at this conclusion. He just threw for 336 yards in his third NFL start. He played with Cecil Shorts, three rookie WRs and a rookie starting at RB. He's got the worst offensive line in the league (which will improve -- how could it NOT?), and he has the poise of a 10-year vet. How can you watch these games and think the future is anything but bright? This isn't Gabbert, who was a guy who was more comfortable throwing passes just beyond the LOS, and who assumed the fetal position at the first sign of a pass rush.

These young, talented receivers are getting valuable game-experience under fire, and the O-line will gradually improve via the draft and free agency. I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again, but I'll be stunned if this kid isn't a stud in the very near future.

jurb26 said:
JaxBill said:
jurb26 said:

In what way did I bash him? His YPA isn't the only factor.It's like you guys are unwilling to acknowledge any criticism of him at all. He's a rookie and playing like it. He has a bright future. Somehow you take my post as a negative when in reality I thought far more of it was positive.
Oh he's playing like a rookie, I can agree with that. But the whole notion that Henne gives them a better chance to win is absurd.

The ground game is non-existent so any scoring is going to have to come thru the air first.

Henne has a much lower variance but also a much lower ceiling than Bortles.

Yes, Bortles has struggled at times but that's to be expected of a rookie QB especially when he has been betrayed by his receivers at times between drops and fumbles.

And nobody has touched on the fact that Bortles is also quietly adding some rushing numbers to go along with passing numbers.

Don't take my word for it

"He's a great quarterback," said San Diego cornerback Brandon Flowers, who had an interception. "He has a strong arm. He came out like, firing. Did a great job of moving the offense. We just had to get settled in, show them one thing and play another thing. We did a great job on trying to disguise.

"I think he's going to be a real good quarterback in the league."
Oh and one more stat for the Henne vs Bortles argument

The Jaguars were 6-for-32 on third down under Chad Henne but are 23-for-46 on third down under Bortles, and he leads the NFL in completion percentage on third down (71.0).

Oh and one more stat for the Henne vs Bortles argument

The Jaguars were 6-for-32 on third down under Chad Henne but are 23-for-46 on third down under Bortles, and he leads the NFL in completion percentage on third down (71.0).
PFF adjusted that stat to reflect, drops, throw aways, and spiked balls, and this is the stat they came up with:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Pro Football Focus @PFF · Oct 16

Adjusting for drops, throw aways and spikes Alex Smith has been accurate on a league-leading 79.9% of his passes. Brees #2 at 78.9%

EDIT: Ahem. Let me try that again.

===========================

Pro Football Focus @PFF · Oct 16

Most accurate QB under pressure this year has been... #Jaguars rookie Blake Bortles. 74.2% adjusting for drops

It's safe to rule out phenom status, but at this point I am certain the Jags would pick Bortles again if they had to do it all over.

Make up your mind. Are we blaming the mistakes on his line or him being a rookie?
I've been pretty clear all along that it's both. Actually, I'd say the oline was much better today than the rest of their games. They ran the ball and he did have a decent pocket at times. He had easily his worst game if the year despite that, though.

Sit back and enjoy the ride. So he's got growing pains..... so what. This is a lost season anyway. Peyton threw 28 balls to the wrong color jersey his rookie season. Bortles is gonna be a legit STUD! No doubt in my mind.

Sit back and enjoy the ride. So he's got growing pains..... so what. This is a lost season anyway. Peyton threw 28 balls to the wrong color jersey his rookie season. Bortles is gonna be a legit STUD! No doubt in my mind.
I never said he wasn't in for a bright future. I actually stated pretty clearly he WAS. that doesn't mean I have to stop being objective about his performance.

I never said he wasn't in for a bright future. I actually stated pretty clearly he WAS. that doesn't mean I have to stop being objective about his performance.
But you are constantly and seemingly shocked/overjoyed that a rookie is making mistakes. That kinda happens.

Good QB? Agree 100%. Fantasy stud or Big Ben/Aikman type? That's the question Im trying to figure out.

Tough game for the kid. He played poorly by any measure. But I expect these types of games this year. I'm sure it isn't the last bad game he has all year. I made it through the Gabbert years, so I'm cool with a rookie QB struggling while showing some real promise.

But you are constantly and seemingly shocked/overjoyed that a rookie is making mistakes. That kinda happens.
How am I shocked or overjoyed? Maybe you are just too sensitive.

Good QB? Agree 100%. Fantasy stud or Big Ben/Aikman type? That's the question Im trying to figure out.
The common thread with Aikman and Ben were great defenses. They only had to throw when they had to throw. I don't think you have to worry about JAX having a monster defense anytime soon. And he's got lots of young weapons who will develop.

:lol:

You can't WAIT to post in this thread every time he makes a mistake.

:lol:

You can't WAIT to post in this thread every time he makes a mistake.
I've posted in this thread/other Bortles and Jax threads many times, both good and bad. That's what's happens when you simply watch a player and try to be objective. You seem to take everything as bad which leads me to believe you aren't objective, at all.

Tough game for the kid. He played poorly by any measure. But I expect these types of games this year. I'm sure it isn't the last bad game he has all year. I made it through the Gabbert years, so I'm cool with a rookie QB struggling while showing some real promise.
I really think you'll end up being disappointed in this pick. He just hasn't shown the ability to pick apart a NFL (or college) defense beyond simple one read type of passes.

I'm a bit disappointed in his numbers today, though I didn't watch the game. That being said, he's a rookie. The only time to worry about this type of performance is if he puts up performances like this over and over. He just came off a 300 yard game. I'm willing to cut him some slack.

He needs to dial back the INT's. I'm hoping Marcedes Lewis gets back in week 12 and really opens things up for Bortles. He really needs some experience out there. It's a bunch of rookies and a bad oline, so a bit of perspective is sorely needed.

First I've seen of him this year.

If he even played average the jags win that game by 40.

Browns were the suckiest sucks that ever sucked today.

Jags couldn't beat Michigan by 40.
I wish I were exaggerating, but I'm not. He left a ton of points out there and single handedly kept the browns in the game until the fourth quarter. That looked like Pat Shurmur Browns,
You're definitely exaggerating.

I wish I were exaggerating, but I'm not. He left a ton of points out there and single handedly kept the browns in the game until the fourth quarter. That looked like Pat Shurmur Browns,
This is true. Clev had no business being in that game.

This is true. Clev had no business being in that game.
man handled on both lines, shoelaces was great, shannahan didn't know what to do when the jags stopped the run, Hoyer and his receivers were not on the same page all day. Total domination. Hope it ends up being a positive, I was worried about this game a bit but, damn...

Let's remember that during the draft everyone said he was raw and the Jags didn't want to start him this year.

One of his interceptions was the result of a jailbreak. He got hit as he threw the ball. The interception inside the 10 was inexcusable. Not only was it a head-scratching throw, but if he simply kept running, he picks up the 1st down easily. The third INT, I didn't see. Must have been taking a piss.

One of his interceptions was the result of a jailbreak. He got hit as he threw the ball. The interception inside the 10 was inexcusable. Not only was it a head-scratching throw, but if he simply kept running, he picks up the 1st down easily. The third INT, I didn't see. Must have been taking a piss.
3rd int was awful. Not puke in your mouth awful like the 2nd, but awful.

Wow rookie QBs throwing interceptions, shocking. Peyton Manning threw 28 his rookie year, Favre 24 his first year in Green Bay. As illuminated in tonight's football broadcast, those guys ended up being pretty terrible. :mellow:

a lot more than the ints, missed several open wrs down field and made way too many suicide passes, most in clean pockets. Only thing he did well was run.

Users who are viewing this thread