What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

There are many more conservatives in this forum than liberals (1 Viewer)

timschochet

Footballguy
It strikes me that in all of the political threads, there are many more conservative posters than liberals- sometimes it seems like 4-1 or 5-1 at times. Every time there is a progressive poster, like tommygunz or Tobias Funke, they are typically confronted by several conservatives. This is not meant to be a criticism or complaint. I just think it's interesting. Obviously it doesn't reflect the public's POV.

Could it be that a forum filled with people who are all presumably big time football fans is going to be more conservative on average? Is it because this forum is heavily populated with people from red states, or more rural areas? Are there really just as many liberals here, but they simply don't care to take part in political debates? I have no idea.

i dont know if there are more conservatives than libs here, but what I do know is that there are more conservatives than most other general topic boards i frequent. they are usually overwhelmingly liberal.

What's with the term "progressives"? Changing the label doesn't make it better. You're liberals.

Both the libs and cons have more than enough people who like to express their lib and con opinions to go around. Makes for an entertaining debate.

A forum comprised of white, college educated, relatively well-to-do, middle age males is predominantly Republican?!

STOP THE PRESSES!!

i dont know if there are more conservatives than libs here, but what I do know is that there are more conservatives than most other general topic boards i frequent. they are usually overwhelmingly liberal.
I think it is because this is more of an "upscale" board.

This has been addressed many times. The board is relatively conservative although it has strong libertarian impulses on several issues. Liberals are not the majority of the posters and never have been.

Is it necessarily the forum or just the political threads? I would say I am center. I tend to wave left and right on varying issues. In most cases I dislike extremists of both sides but tend to stay out of posting in or even viewing the political threads.

Why get involved in a cat-fight that isn't going to solve anything.

There are many more conservatives in this forum than liberals
You just noticed that? For years this forum has represented the shrinking Republican base: 95% white, Christian, conservative guys (perhaps due to the fact that most people here found this place because they play fantasy football, which has similar demographics or least did for years).

Last edited by a moderator:
Republicans work and therefore can afford computers and internet connections? :shrug:

We've done anonymous polls here and the results have favored liberals.

It could be bc you lean left on almost (almost) all of your positions, and your debating/discussion style infuriates so many people that they can't help but respond. The people who agree with you are trying to distance them selves by remaining quiet.

Buffalo sauce:
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 cup hot pepper sauce (such as Frank's)

Ginger-soy glaze:
1/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons soy sauce
3 large garlic cloves, crushed
1 2x1" piece of ginger, peeled, sliced

Wings:
5 pounds chicken wings, tips removed, drumettes and flats separated
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

Preparation

For buffalo sauce:
Mix first 4 ingredients in a medium bowl; let stand for 5 minutes. Whisk in hot sauce; keep warm. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 week ahead. Let cool completely; cover and chill. Rewarm before using.

For ginger-soy glaze:
Bring all ingredients and 1/4 cup water to a boil in a small saucepan, stirring to dissolve honey. Reduce heat to low; simmer, stirring occasionally, until reduced to 1/4 cup, 7–8 minutes. Strain into a medium bowl. Let sit for 15 minutes to thicken slightly. DO AHEAD: Can be made 5 days ahead. Cover; chill. Rewarm before using.

For wings:
Preheat oven to 400°F. Set a wire rack inside each of 2 large rimmed baking sheets. Place all ingredients in a large bowl; toss to coat. Divide wings between prepared racks and spread out in a single layer.

Bake wings until cooked through and skin is crispy, 45–50 minutes.

Line another rimmed baking sheet with foil; top with a wire rack. Add half of wings to ginger-soy glaze and toss to evenly coat. Place wings in a single layer on prepared rack and bake until glaze is glossy and lightly caramelized, 8–10 minutes.

Toss remaining half of wings in Buffalo sauce. Serve immediately (no need to bake).

It is a fairer balance of people than most forums. Most polls generally on this forum run close to national polls. If anything this forum tends to be very socially liberal compared to the general population and slightly more fiscally conservative. As usual though, Tim's compass is pretty far off and still believes the mainstream media has no bias.

What's with the term "progressives"? Changing the label doesn't make it better. You're liberals.
There's been a decades long effort to make that a dirty word and its been mighty successful. We got Roved for sure.
Yeah, it's beyond me how the political movement that Teddy Roosevelt essentially started is somehow a dirty word. Pretty much our entire status as a super power is thanks to the policies of Teddy Roosevelt and Franklin Roosevelt preventing us from becoming an oligarchy 100 years ago. It took another hundred years for the situation to get as dire. Far past time to revive the Bull Moose Party, IMO.

There have been several polls on this topic. Board treads slightly conservative. (Although less so on several social issues.)

It could be bc you lean left on almost (almost) all of your positions, and your debating/discussion style infuriates so many people that they can't help but respond. The people who agree with you are trying to distance them selves by remaining quiet.
I wasn't referring to responses to my own posts.

Buffalo sauce:

1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Ginger-soy glaze:

1/4 cup honey

2 tablespoons soy sauce

Wings:

1 tablespoon kosher salt

Preparation

For buffalo sauce:

Mix first 4 ingredients in a medium bowl; let stand for 5 minutes. Whisk in hot sauce; keep warm. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 week ahead. Let cool completely; cover and chill. Rewarm before using.

For ginger-soy glaze:

Bring all ingredients and 1/4 cup water to a boil in a small saucepan, stirring to dissolve honey. Reduce heat to low; simmer, stirring occasionally, until reduced to 1/4 cup, 7–8 minutes. Strain into a medium bowl. Let sit for 15 minutes to thicken slightly. DO AHEAD: Can be made 5 days ahead. Cover; chill. Rewarm before using.

For wings:

Preheat oven to 400°F. Set a wire rack inside each of 2 large rimmed baking sheets. Place all ingredients in a large bowl; toss to coat. Divide wings between prepared racks and spread out in a single layer.

Line another rimmed baking sheet with foil; top with a wire rack. Add half of wings to ginger-soy glaze and toss to evenly coat. Place wings in a single layer on prepared rack and bake until glaze is glossy and lightly caramelized, 8–10 minutes.

Toss remaining half of wings in Buffalo sauce. Serve immediately (no need to bake).
This is another good one:

Spicy Buffalo Chicken

chicken2Who doesn’t love to gnaw on a spicy chicken wing or drummette, every bite a glorious combination of fat and meat that coats your lips with a red, buttery gloss. Diving into a plate of wings or drummies is a messy endeavor, but that’s why people love ‘em. It’s an excuse to suck a bone clean, lick your fingers and not worry about the smudge of hot sauce on your cheek even if you’re dining in public.

When a craving for Buffalo wings hits, there’s no reason to rely on bottled wing sauces or take-out joints that use questionable ingredients. If you’re a Buffalo wing purist, homemade wings or drummettes require only two easy ingredients: hot sauce and butter. No matter what brand of hot sauce is used, adding a few extra ingredients will intensify the flavor and make the wings even better. Paprika and apple cider vinegar add more smokiness and tanginess, respectively, and garlic gives the wings an extra kick. All three enhance the chicken without dramatically changing the classic spicy, finger-lickin’ good flavor.

A purist will also say the wings have to be deep fried, but deep-frying isn’t always convenient. If you’re not up for the mess and hassle of deep-frying, then turn on the oven or light up the grill – the wings or drummettes will turn out less greasy but no less tender or flavorful. In about 35 minutes you’ll be sitting down to a plate of wings, each one more addictive than the next. Dipping the wings or drummettes in Ranch is optional (we know some of you can’t resist) and so is serving cool, crunchy celery stalks on the side. However you decide to serve ‘em they’re likely to go fast, so make sure to get in there and grab a few before they’re gone.

Ingredients:

ingredients 19

2 1/2 – 3 pounds chicken wings or drummettes

1/2 cup butter

2 garlic cloves, finely chopped

1 teaspoon sweet paprika

1 tablespoon cider vinegar

4 tablespoons hot sauce, or more for a spicier sauce

Instructions:

Pat the chicken dry. An optional extra step is placing the chicken in the refrigerator uncovered for at least 8 hours. This dries out the skin completely, which some claim leads to crispier skin.

bakingstep1

When ready to cook, preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit or heat grill to medium-high heat.

Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Stir in the garlic, paprika, vinegar and hot sauce. Remove from heat. Pour 1/4 of the sauce into a small bowl and pour the remaining sauce into a large bowl and set aside.

If using the oven, the chicken can be placed on a rimmed baking sheet lined with parchment paper or foil, or for crispier results, place the chicken on a wire rack set over a rimmed baking sheet so the fat drips down and away from the chicken.

Brush 1/4 of the sauce over the chicken.

bakingstep2

If using the oven, bake for 30 minutes, turning once. Heat broiler to high and broil wings on each side until dark and crispy.

If using the grill, then grill over medium-high heat for 12-15 minutes for wings and possibly a few minutes longer for drummettes.

Dump chicken into the large bowl with the remaining sauce and stir to coat.

I wasn't referring to responses to my own posts.
I doubt you or I could find a political topic at least 2 pages long that you didn't post in.

There have been several polls on this topic. Board treads slightly conservative. (Although less so on several social issues.)
Yeah not sure where the idea that these polls have shown a liberal board came from. Not as I recall it. And really on social issues I would say more libertarian than liberal. Although those two positions do align on several issues.

There's been a decades long effort to make that a dirty word and its been mighty successful. We got Roved for sure.
I never use that word to describe myself. I am a Liberal and I refuse to let Frank Luntz make me call myself anything different.
Frank Luntz had nothing to do with it. I call myself progressive rather than liberal due to the fact that the term has become loaded with a different meaning than the original definition, for the reason Jackstraw noted (the use of the term as a slur by the right).

Buffalo sauce:
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt

Ginger-soy glaze:
1/4 cup honey
2 tablespoons soy sauce

Wings:
1 tablespoon kosher salt

Preparation

For buffalo sauce:

For ginger-soy glaze:

For wings:

mmmmmmm, wings...

I never use that word to describe myself. I am a Liberal and I refuse to let Frank Luntz make me call myself anything different.
Frank Luntz had nothing to do with it. I call myself progressive rather than liberal due to the fact that the term has become loaded with a different meaning than the original definition, for the reason Jackstraw noted (the use of the term as a slur by the right).
Who do you think helped the Conservative movement make it toxic? Luntz and Gingrich were at the forefront of that.

And really just call yourself what you are. People tend to judge on action and the more real world decent liberals they know the less toxic the word and association become. Where do you go when they make progressive toxic? Because that's next.

Yeah not sure where the idea that these polls have shown a liberal board came from. Not as I recall it. And really on social issues I would say more libertarian than liberal. Although those two positions do align on several issues.
Link
Actually shows the results of 3 polls all of which conservatives came out on top. Nice link thanks.

Link
Actually shows the results of 3 polls all of which conservatives came out on top. Nice link thanks.
But also done 6 years ago and with only 2 choices.

Who do you think helped the Conservative movement make it toxic? Luntz and Gingrich were at the forefront of that.

And really just call yourself what you are. People tend to judge on action and the more real world decent liberals they know the less toxic the word and association become. Where do you go when they make progressive toxic? Because that's next.
Frank Luntz didn't make the word "progressive" toxic, which was my point. The meanings of words that people use to describe themselves can change over time - look at minorities, blacks called themselves "colored" for years (see NAACP), Asians called themselves "oriental" but both terms became pejorative.

And if "progressive" becomes toxic, another term will be used (maybe go back to "liberal").

Link
We have done these over and over since Ol Yeller when we were all young and carefree.. As far as I recall the liberal choice has never been the majority. In fact if you add libertarian liberal would probably come in third.

Frank Luntz didn't make the word "progressive" toxic, which was my point. The meanings of words that people describe themselves can change over time - look at minorities, blacks called themselves "colored" for years (see NAACP), Asians called themselves "oriental" but both terms became pejorative.

And if progressive becomes toxic, another term will be used.
And it will be stupider than Progressive is. And the next one will be even stupider. When you give people this kind of power over you it never ends.

It strikes me that in all of the political threads, there are many more conservative posters than liberals- sometimes it seems like 4-1 or 5-1 at times. Every time there is a progressive poster, like tommygunz or Tobias Funke, they are typically confronted by several conservatives. This is not meant to be a criticism or complaint. I just think it's interesting. Obviously it doesn't reflect the public's POV.

Could it be that a forum filled with people who are all presumably big time football fans is going to be more conservative on average? Is it because this forum is heavily populated with people from red states, or more rural areas? Are there really just as many liberals here, but they simply don't care to take part in political debates? I have no idea.
You've been around long enough to have seen the multiple polls on this. It's like 55/45 in favor of conservatives.

Link
We have done these over and over since Ol Yeller when we were all young and carefree.. As far as I recall the liberal choice has never been the majority. In fact if you add libertarian liberal would probably come in third.
I've searched and searched but could not find a recent one we've done. I could have sworn we did one around Obamas first election. It may be time to take a pulse again. Also, if you add more choices, just about everyone claims to be some variation of socially liberal and fiscally conservative.

Users who are viewing this thread