What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Cody Latimer (1 Viewer)

In the Welker thread there was a tweet that his concussion helmet absorbed a lot of the hit. if that's so it depends on how cautious they want to be, not him actually being out.

In the Welker thread there was a tweet that his concussion helmet absorbed a lot of the hit. if that's so it depends on how cautious they want to be, not him actually being out.
You either have a concussion or not. Welker does and will need to pass tests before being allowed back on the field. No guarantees that he passes soon. But it certainly seems like they will be cautious with him.

He will probably be in my bench in every league. A potential Peyton Manning wr for bench depth prices more than justifies the use of the roster spot.

Rotoworld:

Cody Latimer is expected to be used in some of the Broncos' red-zone packages.

Even if Wes Welker (concussion) suits up Week 1, it sounds like the Broncos have a role for Latimer. At 6'2/215 with exceptionally strong hands and a penchant for winning 50/50 balls, he's a logical candidate to do some Eric Decker things near the goal-line. It's still unclear if Latimer is ahead of Andre Caldwell on the depth chart in base packages -- the veteran ran ahead of the second-round rookie in the third preseason game.

Related: Andre Caldwell

Source: ESPN.com

Aug 27 - 12:22 PM

Nice 57 yard catch and run last night, IF Welker misses a couple games, lets say several, and IF Caldwell/Sanders takes over Welkers spot, do you hold onto this guy?

Nice 57 yard catch and run last night, IF Welker misses a couple games, lets say several, and IF Caldwell/Sanders takes over Welkers spot, do you hold onto this guy?
should probably be drafting and holding onto this guy regardless...but just my :2cents:

should probably be drafting and holding onto this guy regardless...but just my :2cents:
Couldn't agree more! I wouldn't be surprised if come next season, he's being drafted where guys like Patterson and Floyd. You may think that's crazy, but I'm a huge fan of his skill set and situation

Man, I wish had a roster spot for him. In 12 team league, I just can't find the space for him. I am already having trouble figuring out who to drop to add my kicker.

Man, I wish had a roster spot for him. In 12 team league, I just can't find the space for him. I am already having trouble figuring out who to drop to add my kicker.
That's tough. I ONLY play in 16 team leagues now so its easier to roster him.
I think I would like 14, maybe a better balance. 16 seems a bit much IMO. I know my friends I play with would hate it. They already complain how thin rosters are at 12.

I think I would like 14, maybe a better balance. 16 seems a bit much IMO. I know my friends I play with would hate it. They already complain how thin rosters are at 12.
I love 16 team rosters, but we always play deep rosters... 22 to 25 players. I take it back I am in 1 14 teamer but it feels about the same with 60 man rosters.

I love 16 team rosters, but we always play deep rosters... 22 to 25 players. I take it back I am in 1 14 teamer but it feels about the same with 60 man rosters.
Way too hardcore for me.

IMO he's not going do much this year unless an injury happens. Next year Welker's gone and Sanders slides into Welker's role and Latimer takes Deckers old spot.

leftcoastguy7 said:
Does this kid automatically step in and take over if any of the top three are injured? (Thomas, Welker, Sanders)
no. Andre Caldwell is next in the pecking order. Jacob Tamme has a role too. Traditionally, Fox doesn't play rookies much and WR is a tough spot for rookies to break into a Manning offense.

leftcoastguy7 said:
Does this kid automatically step in and take over if any of the top three are injured? (Thomas, Welker, Sanders)
no. Andre Caldwell is next in the pecking order. Jacob Tamme has a role too. Traditionally, Fox doesn't play rookies much and WR is a tough spot for rookies to break into a Manning offense.
Those guys both suck compared to Latimer. Once Welker gets injured Latimer will shine imo.

leftcoastguy7 said:
Caldwell can't hold Lattimer 's jock, regardless of the fact that he's a rook

leftcoastguy7 said:
Those guys both suck compared to Latimer. Once Welker gets injured Latimer will shine imo.
leftcoastguy7 said:
understood and agreed. However, the nest time Latimer makes it into a game with Manning will be the first. He has worked with the #2 team consistently. Cladwell got PT w/ Manning in all 3 of Mannings appearances.

I'm not saying Caldwell is a better player, I'm saying he's more experienced. I'm also saying that Caldwell has maintained a higher spot on the WR pecking order all pre-season. Whether that continues for the rest of 2014 is speculation. As of the end of pre-season, Caldwell is the guy. If you want to bet on Latimer, go for it, just understand the bet you are making here.

Any rumblings about Welker being benched due to ineffectiveness?

The decision to keep Latimer inactive has to be getting more difficult every week

has he been ineffective? he's been just fine. Denver won't even deactivate Andre Caldwell despite Caldwell's drops and ill-advised KRs. They aren't going to bench Welker who has been an effective real-life player.

The decision to keep Latimer inactive has to be getting more difficult every week
Why is it difficult to keep him inactive? I don't think Welker use last week had anything to do with his play. The Jets were putting a lot of pressure on Manning and needed more blocking help since Hillman and Julis Thomas can't block for ####.

Why is it difficult to keep him inactive? I don't think Welker use last week had anything to do with his play. The Jets were putting a lot of pressure on Manning and needed more blocking help since Hillman and Julis Thomas can't block for ####.
as well has 2/5 to 3/5 the OL. nothing wrong with Denver's WR situation and Welker has been playing well

Last edited by a moderator:
Twitter's saying he was activated primarily for ST work.
Zero snaps. Active but no activity.

They did go with 5 receivers much of the night including 4 WRs so I guess he was insurance in case of injury. Tamme was not involved accordingly.

Anybody still holding him, even in dynasty?

They did go with 5 receivers much of the night including 4 WRs so I guess he was insurance in case of injury. Tamme was not involved accordingly.

Its never even crossed my mind to release him in dynasty. He is like 8 games into his career, and playing behind an extremely talented group of veteran WRs. He will get his shot. May not be this season, but releasing him after 1/2 season of his rookie year in dynasty, after using a likely top 15 pick on him would be irresponsible.

Absolutely. He's a talented kid.

Doesn't hurt that D. Thomas, J. Thomas, and Welker are all pending UFAs in 2015. Who knows what the receiving corps will look like when next year starts.

Pretty disappointing to see Latimer remain on the sidelines with Welker playing so poorly.

Caldwell remains the next man up, for now, it seems

Heading into games this weekend I believe Denver is the only team in the NFL to not start a rookie on offense of defense, so excluding special teams.

This is the John Fox way, it's not an indictment on Latimer's ability. Be patient if you have him and if you are in a league with an owner who does not know the John Fox way I'd be trying to buy him. He's going to be huge next year.

Calling timeouts during the last drive for NE was also the Fox way. Just so he could run C.J. Anderson on 3 runs on the next drive? What the heck was he thinking? "I'm gonna give a really great opp to my 4th string RB on the next drive, so we better call timeouts and use the 2:00 warning wisely being 3 scores down!" At first I thought he was just going to do this to pad Manning's stats for another TD drive to make the final score closer, but that wasn't it. I just can't grasp this guy's frequency. It's all static to me.

Calling timeouts during the last drive for NE was also the Fox way. Just so he could run C.J. Anderson on 3 runs on the next drive? What the heck was he thinking? "I'm gonna give a really great opp to my 4th string RB on the next drive, so we better call timeouts and use the 2:00 warning wisely being 3 scores down!" At first I thought he was just going to do this to pad Manning's stats for another TD drive to make the final score closer, but that wasn't it. I just can't grasp this guy's frequency. It's all static to me.
I think Fox just changed his mind about trying to mount a final drive. Best just get out of NE before getting someone needlessly injured.

Pretty disappointing to see Latimer remain on the sidelines with Welker playing so poorly.

Well he was active again so that is a good trend, and he did play two snaps along with some special teams, so that is an improvement. Perhaps if Welker misses time with his back injury they will work Latimer into the game plan.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thing can go just like Martavis Bryant. Latimer might not be playing, but he's getting valuable experience. When he finally hits the field, he could still do a great job.

Tamme in the slot just wasn't getting it done. If Welker is out for any length of time, I'd love to see them move Sanders over and then give Latimer a shot on the outside.

Cheesedawg said:
maf005 said:

Well he was active again so that is a good trend, and he did play two snaps along with some special teams, so that is an improvement. Perhaps if Welker misses time with his back injury they will work Latimer into the game plan.
Agreed. Active is a step in the right direction.

I'm still very high on Latimer for next season and his career in general but I was hoping maybe he'd see more of the field on offense as a rookie

Users who are viewing this thread