What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (1 Viewer)

Birthday today so wifey and I going out for dinner and a movie without the kids.

Equalizer, John Wick, or Gone Girl. These are the choices but struggling to decide which one to go with. All have great reviews on Rotten Tomatoes user reviews (not critic) since our taste usually aligns with the users. Wife loves action movies so not like I have to compromise on genre or anything.

If looking for just a purely entertaining flick, which do you guys recommend for theater viewing? We will likely watch the other two on netflix when they come out.
Gone

Wick

Equalizer

Saw Birdman. It was o.k. Some really good acting, particularly by Keaton and Norton. But I don't know that in total its worthy of as much attention as it seems to be getting. There was one element of the plot that I thought probably could have been left out which would have made it a better film. Or maybe I just didn't get it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The One I Love - 8/10

I didn't read anything anything about this before watching so when it started I thought it would be a typical romance/drama. It isn't and I won't say anything more than 'watch it'. Stars Mark Duplass and Elizabeth Moss (Peggy on Mad Men).
I saw this listed on On Demand for $7.99, is that where you viewed it?
Nope, torrent. Worth $8 though.
Gave this a try. Don't try watching this drunk. I was sober and had trouble keeping up.

It was beyond ridiculous really. Lots of plot holes.
Little discussion about it. I still recommend it.

The One I Love - 8/10

I didn't read anything anything about this before watching so when it started I thought it would be a typical romance/drama. It isn't and I won't say anything more than 'watch it'. Stars Mark Duplass and Elizabeth Moss (Peggy on Mad Men).
I saw this listed on On Demand for $7.99, is that where you viewed it?
Nope, torrent. Worth $8 though.
Gave this a try. Don't try watching this drunk. I was sober and had trouble keeping up.

It was beyond ridiculous really. Lots of plot holes.
Little discussion about it. I still recommend it.
I was seriously questioning you liking this until I finally figured out it wasn't the new Nicholas Sparks flick (The Best of Me).

I was seriously questioning you liking this until I finally figured out it wasn't the new Nicholas Sparks flick (The Best of Me).
:lmao:

No worries about that - I have impeccable taste in movies.

John Wick: 90 minute gun fight. That's it. It's shot very dark, all the action is at night or in dark nightclubs, hard to see sometimes. Make sure to watch it in a good theater or it'll just be muddy.
Wife and I saw an advanced screening for this early last week. I liked it quite a bit, but the RT off the chart reviews/scores are a bit much. Wife didn't like it nearly as much and commented how it was basically the same thing as The Equalizer, which neither of us cared for at all. Weird that we both liked this one so much more, but also much prefer Denzel to Keanu.

St Vincent - B
It was an A when I left the theater because of the emotional punches at the end, but there are too many plot holes
(where is the money to pay for everything, Vincent came back from the stroke way too early, Terrance Howard would not stop collecting money because of the stroke)
to justify an A.

Bill Murray's accent was a problem. Heck Naomi Watts Russian Accent was better than Murrays' Boston accent.

But Jaeden Lieberher as Oliver is fantastic (there wasn't a dry eye in the theater when he gave his speech). Melissa McCarthy, who I usually dislike, was very good as Oliver's mom. And Bill Murray, other than his accent, was excellent

St Vincent - B
It was an A when I left the theater because of the emotional punches at the end, but there are too many plot holes
(where is the money to pay for everything, Vincent came back from the stroke way too early, Terrance Howard would not stop collecting money because of the stroke)
to justify an A.

Bill Murray's accent was a problem. Heck Naomi Watts Russian Accent was better than Murrays' Boston accent.

But Jaeden Lieberher as Oliver is fantastic (there wasn't a dry eye in the theater when he gave his speech). Melissa McCarthy, who I usually dislike, was very good as Oliver's mom. And Bill Murray, other than his accent, was excellent
Loved this movie. Solid 4.2/5

Did not really like Watts' performance, but the role was really well-written and withstood her interpretation

Chris O'Dowd stole every scene he was in as Brother Geraghty

St Vincent - B
to justify an A.

Did not really like Watts' performance, but the role was really well-written and withstood her interpretation

Yes Chris O'Dowd was great. My favorite line was when Melissa McCarthy was talking to the two priests and she said, "They say I have receding Fallopian Tubes, I think they were just recoiling from David's sperm" :lmao:

"Fury"

I know the board has been mixed on this, but I absolutely loved it.

I thought Shia LeBeouf's performance was Oscar worthy.

There were a couple of scenes that I thought were a bit long and drawn out but for the most part the pace and action moved well.

I will agree with others that the story arc of the "new guy" was a bit dry and uninteresting but it wasn't as awful as some have made it out to be.

This was what I wish The Monuments Men was.

Never saw a movie with such great story potential that sucked so badly.

"Fury"

There were a couple of scenes that I thought were a bit long and drawn out but for the most part the pace and action moved well.

I will agree with others that the story arc of the "new guy" was a bit dry and uninteresting but it wasn't as awful as some have made it out to be.

My main problem with new guy was:

how quickly he seemed to get on board with the killing. just seemed a bit much

"Fury"

My main problem with new guy was:

how quickly he seemed to get on board with the killing. just seemed a bit much
Its not like he much of a window.

"Fury"

I was surprised at the negative reviews. This movie accomplished what it set out to do. Perfectly.

St Vincent - B
to justify an A.

Absolutely. His discussion on the kid being jewish was hilarious stuff.

Anyone have a good scary movie recommendation to rent for tomorrow night? Wife and I watched the Conjuring last year and really enjoyed it. Thanks!

If you want an English movie - The Others.

ETA: Almost forgot about Session 9.

Anyone have a good scary movie recommendation to rent for tomorrow night? Wife and I watched the Conjuring last year and really enjoyed it. Thanks!
If you don't mind subtitles, The Orphanage is pretty good.
Other foreign ones:

Let the Right One In

[Rec]

I Saw The Devil
Yeah, I would say Let the Right One In and The Orphanage are the cream of the crop, with Orphanage being the scarier of the two.

As far as similar ones to The Conjuring, I guess stuff like Insidious and maybe Sinister are the closest recent ones that I can think of.

Palo Alto

Terrible. Should have turned it off 20min in like I wanted to. Boring, dumb, and lifeless with nothing to say. No clue how this film has such a high tomatometer score. I can only think the critics were biased because it was directed by the newest addition to the Coppola clan. Simply a steaming pile of ####. I strongly advise against seeing it.

Other foreign ones:

Let the Right One In

[Rec]

I Saw The Devil
Yeah, I would say Let the Right One In and The Orphanage are the cream of the crop, with Orphanage being the scarier of the two.

As far as similar ones to The Conjuring, I guess stuff like Insidious and maybe Sinister are the closest recent ones that I can think of.
Awesome thanks for the suggestions guys! Somebody at my work recommended Cabin in the woods... We might do that one since I've seen let the right one in (GREAT flick) and my wife isn't a fan of subtitles. I will probably pick up orphanage as well to watch after she goes to bed.

Other foreign ones:

Let the Right One In

[Rec]

I Saw The Devil

Awesome thanks for the suggestions guys! Somebody at my work recommended Cabin in the woods... We might do that one since I've seen let the right one in (GREAT flick) and my wife isn't a fan of subtitles. I will probably pick up orphanage as well to watch after she goes to bed.
Cabin in the Woods is excellent.

John Wick was very entertaining and the ultimate guy film. Not a Keanu fan, but he played that part well. :thumbup:

Fury was very good. Pitt is still a fantastic actor. War scenes seemed very real. Lebouf was a surprise. And the chick that

played "Emma" was super hot.

Dracula was decent. The ending was kinda weird though.

Other foreign ones:

Let the Right One In

[Rec]

I Saw The Devil

There was an adaptation of Let the Right One In and it wasn't half bad. It just wasn't as good as the original.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre on the bigscreen. 10/10

Local young entrepreneur has redeveloped the historic downtown theater in the town where I work and had this as the night's feature film last night, Halloween. Awesome on the bigscreen.

I'm very glad to see this type of theater spring up. He features many of the classics and many independent films. Today he is featuring an Ed Wood film fest..lol..

Had the original Nosferatu and the remake this week. Will be getting Metropolis later this month. Planning on getting Its a Wonderful Life for theChristmas season.

Totally digging it.

Snowpiercer - B

Somewhat reminded me of Land of the Dead in how bad the class system was.

Tilda Swinton was fantastic as was Allison Pill's cameo as the Teacher.

The movie dragged after they were gone.

Worth watching, glad I got to watch it on Netflix

The One I Love:

What an odd little movie. Mark Duplass and Elizabeth Moss star as a couple struggling with their relationship, and their therapist suggests a weekend retreat to help repair the damage. I won't say more than that - go in knowing as little as possible. Really loved both of their performances, and they had to be good since they are it after the first 5mins or so. Besides a quick diner scene, I don't think you see anybody else for the rest of the movie. I think a few in here will dig this one too. 6.5/10

Under The Skin

Have mixed feelings about this one. Some scenes were really interesting and the music was great, but for a slow-paced 'thinker' kind of film, the more I think about it the less I think there's to think about. Seems pretty cut and dry in the end, and there's basically no hints for the things that weren't explained so there's not much to think about there either besides letting your imagination run wild if you wish.

Still enjoyed it well enough. Though I can understand why some would hate it.

The Babadook got released on torrent today if you want to surprise people at your Halloween party today.

Link
Watched this last night. More of a creepy psychological horror film.
Yes this isn't really a monster movie. I don't want to say too much but I thought it was very good. I think it leaves it open for many theories for what was really going on and I love movies that lead to discussion over interpretations of events. Just read a very interesting one that makes me want to go back and re-watch the movie now.

One of the better movies of this type in a while.

Users who are viewing this thread