What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

McDonald's year over year sales were terrible. How would you fix (1 Viewer)

Such as the Yum-bo has risen from the fryer like a Phoenix from Arizona....thus too should McDonalds reinstall that sacred mantra of "keeping the hot side hot and the cool side cool" amd bring back the McDLT.
That was fantastic marketing.

They should take some script from the Old Testament and have Mac Tonight hunt down and kill the first born kid of every parent that doesn't bring their children to their restaurants.

Wife and I were discussing yesterday how Hershey's is switching off of high fructose corn syrup. I think that within 10 years the science will be irrefutable and a day of reckoning will come for business that kill people with food, like the backlash with tobacco in the 80s. People are getting culturally wiser to the contribution of bad food to poor health and things are apt to get far worse for brands that purvey death products.

Could be wrong, but I see punitive measures in terms of lawsuits and restrictions in our lifetime. Won't end well for burger chains.

Not saying they'll go away, but I predict that it gets a lot more expensive to operate and some of their profits go into education that their food is poison.

Last edited:
Wife and I were discussing yesterday how Hershey's is switching off of high fructose corn syrup. I think that within 10 years the science will be irrefutable and a day of reckoning will come for business that kill people with food, like the backlash with tobacco in the 80s. People are getting culturally wiser to the contribution of bad food to poor health and things are apt to get far worse for brands that purvey death products.

Could be wrong, but I see punitive measures in terms of lawsuits and restrictions in our lifetime. Won't end well for burger chains.
People are stupid. Switch to sugar from HFCS. Big whoop.

Jobber said:
90% of the time when I get a burger there, the patty is luke warm and rubbery like it's been in a hot well for an hour. You know why? Because it's been in a hot well for an hour.

Cook to order
Part of the reason I've always ordered my burgers plain. Of course I hate lettuce and onions anyways, but I'd probably ask for something to be left off JUST so I know I'm getting something fresher.

I've even contemplating adding "light on the salt" to my fries so those are hot out of the fryer, too.

And add me to the list of parents that take their kids to MickeyD's every so often. Am I a bad parent because of it? Come on.... really?

[icon] said:
Thunderlips said:
Such as the Yum-bo has risen from the fryer like a Phoenix from Arizona....thus too should McDonalds reinstall that sacred mantra of "keeping the hot side hot and the cool side cool" amd bring back the McDLT.
That was fantastic marketing.
I'm not much of a McDonald's fan but I think that was the best burger they ever produced. It had enough packaging to fill a trash can though.

Thunderlips said:
:goodposting: McDLT and the Arch Deluxe were my favorite McDonald's burgers ever.

Not saying they'll go away, but I predict that it gets a lot more expensive to operate and some of their profits go into education that their food is poison.
No chance.

Agree 100%.

No chance.

Agree 100%.
:oldunsure:

Wife and I were discussing yesterday how Hershey's is switching off of high fructose corn syrup.
Ok, hold on... they're "switching off" of high fructose corn syrup?... off to what? Inquiring minds want to know.

Wife and I were discussing yesterday how Hershey's is switching off of high fructose corn syrup.
Ok, hold on... they're "switching off" of high fructose corn syrup?... off to what? Inquiring minds want to know.
Cane sugar.

Cane sugar.
Aaaahhhh... the ol' one step forward, two steps back maneuver.

St. Louis Bob said:
Officer Pete Malloy said:
Sell McRibs and Shamrock Shakes 365 days a year?
I loved the McRib and I've been trying to make my own without all of the, you know, organs and stuff. :X

General Malaise said:
I just think the name brand has diminished for a few reasons, the most obvious being that competition is fierce and the other is that the medical community has beaten into our heads that fast food and soda are BAD FOR US. You can try to sell salads or make your food items healthier, but it doesn't turn the tide of bias against the brand name. McDonalds is unhealthy and the audience is listening.

I have 3 kids. The first two are 12 and 10 and loved McDonald Happy Meals. At the time, their mom and I would occasionally treat them to a Happy Meal because it was fast, cheap and the boys would eat it. Good for them? No. But come on, we weren't feeding them kale shakes and Fiber All at home. Plus, some kids can be tough to feed and when you find something they will devour in the midst of a busy day/life/career, you get over the "BAD FOR YOU" message.

But my 2.5 year old daughter has never been to a McDonald's. Her mom prefers that she not eat McDonald's and chooses to feed our daughter healthier foods that she makes. Now, we'll go out to eat and she'll eat stuff off the kids menu that I'm sure isn't on top of the pyramid of healthy foods, but there's a stigma against McDonald's that my wife objects too, so that's out. I think the fact that my wife is 8 years younger than me and grew up in an era where the message of food health was quite clear and strong plays a part in this.

Blah blah blah....I think newer generations of parents care about what to feed their kids and some are opting to stay away from McDonalds. :shrug:
Me too and I've poisend them against McDonald's because of it. If they want a burger, we'll hit Steak N Shake or Culvers. It isn't something we do on a regular basis though. Cal is overweight from all of the fruit he eats (he hasn't touched his Halloween candy since 10/31 but will sneak a quart of strawberries) so we are already trying to keep his calories and sugar low.
Steak N Shake!!!! Love that place.

We love McDonalds but understand what it is and don't eat there often - but probably a little less than once a month. The burgers are thin - sometimes we are in the mood for thin burgers. It reminds me of the Burger Chef meals I got as a kid. We get a couple McDoubles each with extra onions for $1.19 a piece. A sack of those and a couple large fries (and yeah, no salt to get fresh) - and we have a fun, cheat meal we all like. Dinner for 4 for under $15.

Here's my experience. If I want to get a quick breakfast in the morning, I might go to AM PM and grab a sausage egg and cheese croissant out of the warmer. I'm in and out in 30 seconds. If I want a breakfast sandwich from McDonalds, I have to stand in line, wait for them to cook it, call me over, and it takes 5x as long.

The AM PM sandwich tastes better, is cheaper, and faster. Why should I go to McDonalds?

I agree 50%

They had pizza at one point?

Jesus, how old are you ####ers?
32. Had pizza at McD's probably until I was 8 or so
Some of these things are regional. The pizza might have been regional because I don't remember it either.
Niagara on the lake, Ontario, Canada.

Had to travel to the town over, Niagara Falls or St Catharines for a McDonalds.

The pizza was real and it was DELICIOUS (as a kid)

Mickey D's needs to rebrand their sandwiches.

Maybe something like Le Big Mac, or Royale with Cheese.

Maybe serve fries with mayonnaise - they love them like that in Holland.

Gotta be innovative and worldly.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it's terribly difficult. One, accept there are loads more competitors than ever before.

Two, stop trying to be what you're not. They're cheap, fast, consistent, mediocre meals. Keep the prices low as possible and advertise, advertise, advertise. More product placement in children's shows, and tie ins with kid's products.
Cheap (it's really not that cheap), fast, consistent and mediocre isn't going to sustain a company this size anymore. That's what they are finding out. I'd also say that they aren't perceived as having mediocre food, they are perceived as having terrible food. They don't have a lot of fat to cut on prices either.I'm pretty sure McDonalds is aware of the competitive environment they are in. I'm not sure how recognizing that is going to help them.
Lower quality food, what have you. I refuse to believe costs/prices can't be lowered. Advertise, pretty up the packaging. Maybe toy with the idea of running out a 'premium' line, either in store, or another store under another name. In that vein, also toy with the idea of turning some of these stores into a Starbucks type lounge for the food environment.
Recognize they are cheap low quality food and cut prices. At the same time, create a premium brand and build higher end lounge spaces for their customers. Also, pretty up the packaging.Sounds like a brilliant plan.

It appears that McDonald's is having issues with sales. MCD is the kingpin of fastfood and always has been. I worked at Mcdonald's as a youngster, even dabbling in management as a kid. It was fun at the time, and I guess a piece of me always has a special place for MCD, even though I know without a doubt that the food generally sucks.

How would you fix McDonalds?

Me?

I think it's simple. McDonald's has tried too hard to sell the "healthy" side of their menu. From changing the fries from animal fat to whatever the crap it is now, to the nasty whole wheat buns they use on some sandwiches....

I'd take the Hardees/Carls Jr approach: Embrace the fact that you sell food that isn't good for you. Bring back the fries that everyone and their brother loved.

Bigger, better, fattier...that's how they should go.

If I was any of the big fast food chains, I'd do that. Cmon man, everyone knows fast food isn't good for you. At least try to make it as tasty as possible. If I want a salad, I'll go to some chick salad place.
That would be the wrong lesson time take away from their troubles. In a word: Chipotle. What I mean is start serving sustainable food. Cheap is not better.

They seem to be focusing a lot of their advertising around the McCafe theme, and trying to push premium coffees. No way I am buying Mcdonalds coffee to brew at home cause just like there food there is better and tastier options available at the same price point.

They seem to be focusing a lot of their advertising around the McCafe theme, and trying to push premium coffees. No way I am buying Mcdonalds coffee to brew at home cause just like there food there is better and tastier options available at the same price point.
I just can't take the opinion of anyone seriously that treats the english language like a $20 hooker.

I never realized I should feel bad about taking my kids to McDonald's on occasion.
Right. WTF? My daughter loves McDonald's. And we go there maybe 1 every two weeks as a treat. Not once have I ever felt bad about it. :shrug:
Eh. I do feel guilty about it and we never take our kids there. Still, I seriously doubt the FBG audience (upper middle class at a minimum with supermodel quality wives and girlfriends) is their core market. The problem has to extend beyond us yuppies not going there.

The preparation might be a good model when you treat workers like monkeys who are completely replaceable and interchangable but when i DO eat there (usually on a trip when I want to stop and grab a quick bite), I see the food in some sort of drawer system. Maybe they're cooked on site, maybe not, but compared to presentation of a five guys, which granted is a different experience than McDonalds, but that experience only ramps up antcipation. I see fire engine red beef plucked from frosty coolers and plopped on a stainless steel beast of a grill. I hear sizzle. It begins the experience and engagement.

McDonalds is usually some jabroni in an ill fitting polo shirt lifeless engaging me at the register and again, we have my food plucked from drawers and... its resignation before I begin to eat.

Either don't show me this part of the process or bring back the idea of burger flippers.

Process and the notion of particpation in it seems like a recent trend. I know its not a restaurant, but Starbucks.. I get the same deal... I step to the side, I engage the process, I'm asked a rudiemenatry question about my drink and this beverage is part art and it feels like a collaboration. I know its more money but compare your Chipotle experience with McDonalds

Stupid but its show biz, and maybe marketing McDonalds gets a B but in store its an F.

To that end, and if they really want to make an impact, a growing trend here in the NYC area(and maybe elsewhere but I only see it here) but there are places where you get a nice chopped salad. Select your ingredients, everything is chopped and mixed with dressing and its absolutely fantastic. Totally delicious. I don't know what the infrasture of this would be, it would demand a solid 12 feet of counter space and the trend in McDonalds seems to move to smaller counter spaces, but maybe make select locations something like "McDonalds FRESH".... A McDonalds I know I can seek out or go to and not get some salad packed and sealed in Lima Ohio sometime in mid 2014 based on taste when I get it. Give me fresh, give me presentation and redefine and repurpose your brand going forward.

It appears that McDonald's is having issues with sales. MCD is the kingpin of fastfood and always has been. I worked at Mcdonald's as a youngster, even dabbling in management as a kid. It was fun at the time, and I guess a piece of me always has a special place for MCD, even though I know without a doubt that the food generally sucks.

How would you fix McDonalds?

Me?

I think it's simple. McDonald's has tried too hard to sell the "healthy" side of their menu. From changing the fries from animal fat to whatever the crap it is now, to the nasty whole wheat buns they use on some sandwiches....

I'd take the Hardees/Carls Jr approach: Embrace the fact that you sell food that isn't good for you. Bring back the fries that everyone and their brother loved.

Bigger, better, fattier...that's how they should go.

If I was any of the big fast food chains, I'd do that. Cmon man, everyone knows fast food isn't good for you. At least try to make it as tasty as possible. If I want a salad, I'll go to some chick salad place.
That would be the wrong lesson time take away from their troubles. In a word: Chipotle. What I mean is start serving sustainable food. Cheap is not better.
Honestly, I think the sustainability aspect of Chipotle is a smokescreen. Sure more people care about where their food comes from, but I seriously doubt it affects sales that much. I think the larger reason Chipotle is successful is operations based-- the limited menu. From a pure operational standpoint, Chipotle is a machine: five items, a handful of proteins, and limited toppings. At first I scoffed at the idea of not getting black olives or onions on my tacos, but I keep going back to Chipotle. Why? The line may be twice as long as the line at Moe's, but it takes half the time to get through it.

Bringing this back to Mickie D's, they could probably stand to lose 30% of their menu. The items that don't sell but still cost money to sit in the freezer and drain your inventory costs. Cut them out.

Some of these things are regional. The pizza might have been regional because I don't remember it either.
Gotcha. I'm in my 30s as well and I've never heard of pizza at McDonalds.

Regardless, I can get a large unsweet iced tea, small french fries, and a mcchicken or double cheeseburger all for under $4. That's not a bad deal, imo, and tastes pretty good. Also,

their coffee has improved quite a bit over the past few years.

Jobber said:
90% of the time when I get a burger there, the patty is luke warm and rubbery like it's been in a hot well for an hour. You know why? Because it's been in a hot well for an hour.

Cook to order
There is nothing that screams deliciousness like watching the guy grab a burger patty out of that amber-colored tray with a pair of tongs and drop it on the untoasted bun! Yum!

Wow it costs 8 bucks to get a lunch at McDonald's?

I figured it was 5 or less. That is probably their biggest issue. Who is paying that?
It only costs $8 for the fatties who get the large fries and soda. I think most of those combos are in the 5-6 range if you just get the regular.

IMO the biggest problem with McDonalds is that they are so wildly inconsistent with their quality. I know it's bad for me, I know it's not the greatest tasting food but their food is only adequate when it's done properly and hot. If you get anything that's been sitting out its horrible beyond words.

I remember the pizza briefly being here in Columbus a long time ago.

Also, about 20 years ago McDonald's had spaghetti in Rochester, NY.
Here's a good list of some older offerings:

http://listverse.com/2009/05/30/top-10-failed-mcdonalds-products/

Lasagna and fettuccine alfredo as well.

I remember the pizza briefly being here in Columbus a long time ago.

Also, about 20 years ago McDonald's had spaghetti in Rochester, NY.
I remember getting the pizza in Columbus. It was very salty, but very good (at least for a kid's tastes). You could get a combo of the pizza and fries...living the dream!

Yes the food is killing us. Not the fact that we shove 5x the needed quantity down our gullets every day. It's always someone else's problem but our own...

Here's my experience. If I want to get a quick breakfast in the morning, I might go to AM PM and grab a sausage egg and cheese croissant out of the warmer. I'm in and out in 30 seconds. If I want a breakfast sandwich from McDonalds, I have to stand in line, wait for them to cook it, call me over, and it takes 5x as long.

The AM PM sandwich tastes better, is cheaper, and faster. Why should I go to McDonalds?
You are worried about speed......so you park the car and walk into the building?

McD's and a couple of other places have installed a fancy system where you don't even need to get out of your car to order/pay/receive your food. It might be worth checking out. Not that I'm advocating for McD's, but of all the complaints to have about them, speed shouldn't be one of them. At least not until you've tried the thing where they serve you in your car.

I didn't check my notebook, so if you live in a large city and walk to work, please disregard. Though, I assume if that were the case, you'd be telling us about the 50 great local joints within 3 blocks of you to get an amazing breakfast sandwich.

we discussed this in the stock thread a long time back. someone posted an article that was perhaps one of the best articles I've ever read about a company, but damn if I can find it with the search engine or google.

Someone like this post so I don't go kill myself.

Lol, you are still on the china study as gospel and hfcs as the devil. Does your google searching stop at 2011?

Users who are viewing this thread