What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (1 Viewer)

After attempting to put together a top 10 dvd release list for the year, I realized how few movies I have watched in 2014. Have a list of around 35 that were well rated that I didn't see, so I started to hack away at that.

Started of with two that I thought I would have the reaction I did to them: beautifully shot movies that I really didn't get much out of watching. They were Grand Budapest Hotel and Inside Llewyn Davis. I think I liked Budapest more, but still two directors' work that I usually lukewarm about anyway.

The Machine - 6.5/10

It was a movie that was almost good. But there are too many spots where the story is moved along too fast and it's a hollow endeavor in sum.

"Secretary" with Maggie G and James Spader is very weird and yet touching.

And I love that Maggie Gyllenhaal can look very innocent and very sexy, sometimes at the same time. :wub:

Finally got around to Silver Linings Playbook. I had heard it was good but I didn't know it was going to be that good. At times it was whimsical, gritty, funny, awkward, and touching. Plus the cast was phenomenal. Really glad I watched it.
Fantastic film, in a great year for movies.

"Secretary" with Maggie G and James Spader is very weird and yet touching.

And I love that Maggie Gyllenhaal can look very

innocent and very sexy, sometimes at the same time. :wub:
I've met a lot of women that like this movie a lot. It's a good sign.
It's gotta be like 50 shades of gray before 50 shades of gray. I found it to be pretty strange, but also quite entertaining.

Divergent. 6/10

Decently entertaining and the story is somewhat original and interesting. It's a lot like most dystopian future movies where society has almost destroyed itself and the solution is to build some dearly defined caste or group system to try to keep emotions down. It's much like equilibrium and hunger games. But like those movies, it's tough to execute it all the way through.

Divergent. 6/10

Decently entertaining and the story is somewhat original and interesting. It's a lot like most dystopian future movies where society has almost destroyed itself and the solution is to build some dearly defined caste or group system to try to keep emotions down. It's much like equilibrium and hunger games. But like those movies, it's tough to execute it all the way through.
I was surprised that it kept my attention for as long as it did. Decent popcorn flick.

Wild A- Have always had a :wub: on Reece Witherspoon, so didn't mind when she was bruised, no makeup and stinkin real bad.

Scenery is beautiful, Reece does get nikked a couple of times and it is a very enjoyable movie.

I am sure Reece will get an Oscar nomination, but I hope Laura Dern gets one also, playing Reece's relentlessly optimistic mom.

Wild A- Have always had a :wub: on Reece Witherspoon, so didn't mind when she was bruised, no makeup and stinkin real bad.

Scenery is beautiful, Reece does get nikked a couple of times and it is a very enjoyable movie.

I am sure Reece will get an Oscar nomination, but I hope Laura Dern gets one also, playing Reece's relentlessly optimistic mom.
You beat me to this review. I saw the movie on Christmas Eve. I thought it was great, and Witherspoon was especially top notch. Her acting felt very authentic. The cinematography was excellent, especially the wide shots from behind Witherspoon.

I find her more attractive as she closes in on age forty than I ever did during her "Election, "Legally Blonde" era.

Flashbacks usually work better in novels than they do in movies because there isn't such a sudden shift in tone, but the movie handled it well. I agree wholeheartedly that Dern should get Oscar consideration. It's too bad this movie didn't come out when her HBO show was still airing--it might have given a boost in the ratings and saved it from cancellation.

You beat me to this review. I saw the movie on Christmas Eve. I thought it was great, and Witherspoon was especially top notch. Her acting felt very authentic. The cinematography was excellent, especially the wide shots from behind Witherspoon.

I find her more attractive as she closes in on age forty than I ever did during her "Election, "Legally Blonde" era.

Flashbacks usually work better in novels than they do in movies because there isn't such a sudden shift in tone, but the movie handled it well. I agree wholeheartedly that Dern should get Oscar consideration. It's too bad this movie didn't come out when her HBO show was still airing--it might have given a boost in the ratings and saved it from cancellation.
I agree on the Flashbacks. They were good, but I much preferred the story of the trail.

Sigh.

It's been way too long.

I can't catch up...no way.

People who know my tastes: what do I need to watch?

Don't suggest Boyhood as it's already one of my favorites movies. Otherwise, suggestions from the last three years?

Sigh.

It's been way too long.

Don't suggest Boyhood as it's already one of my favorites movies. Otherwise, suggestions from the last three years?
I haven't seen it, but considering it this weekend - The Grand Budapest Hotel

Sigh.

It's been way too long.

guess i am not100% sure what your tastes are, but a few of my favs the last few years:

Her

Short Term 12

Blue Ruin

Before Midnight

Drive

The Master

Again, not sure what you like or what you have seen.

Sigh.

It's been way too long.

guess i am not100% sure what your tastes are, but a few of my favs the last few years:

Her

Short Term 12

Blue Ruin

Before Midnight

Drive

The Master

Again, not sure what you like or what you have seen.
And add:

Gone Girl

Whiplash

Skeleton Twins

Philomena

The Way Way Back

Mud

Sigh.

It's been way too long.

Last Days of Viet Nam

Blue Ruin

Calvary

Obvious Child

Joe

Night Moves

Cold in July

Under the Skin

Coherence

All from 14, all worth a watch

Sigh.

It's been way too long.

Last Days of Viet Nam

Blue Ruin

Calvary

Obvious Child

Joe

Night Moves

Cold in July

Under the Skin

Coherence

All from 14, all worth a watch
Two things I stay away from - abortion movies and radical environmentalist movies - but if you vouch for them...

For those of you with Amazon Prime (everyone, I hope). Check out Mozart in the Jungle. Original series and really good. Wife and I just casually turned it on and got sucked in for 4 episodes.

We were flipping around the list of on demand movies and as we flew by The Captive, I noticed it was directed by Atom Egoyan, one of my faves. In.

He typically does a wonderful job skewing expectations of standard movie tropes (at least, my expectations), that I figured a child abduction story starring Ryan Reynolds would swing I'm unexpected directions. Nope. It had his usual stunning atmospheric and quiet pacing and visuals, but ultimately suffered from some silly wtf writing and action to drive the straight ahead plot. Disappointing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gone Girl - Much like most people, liked most of the movie but didn't care for the ending. While I didn't hate it as much as some, I think it could have gone a better way.

Wasn't Affleck practicing his speech in front of the mirror to expose her? What stopped him?
It was driving me crazy who the female cop was...Joanie from Deadwood. I see she's been in some other shows that I didn't watch.

3/5

We were flipping around the list of on demand movies and as we flew by The Captive, I noticed it was directed by Atom Egoyan, one of my faves. In.

He typically does a wonderful job skewing expectations of standard movie tropes (at least, my expectations), that I figured a child abduction story starring Ryan Reynolds would swing I'm unexpected directions. Nope. It had his usual stunning atmospheric and quiet pacing and visuals, but ultimately suffered from some silly wtf writing and action to drive the straight ahead plot. Disappointing.
i love egoyan but i lost track of him following "where the truth lies". i see he's been mostly uneven since "felicia's journey" and i don't want to spoil my affection for him. i *really* loved "exotica" and think it might still be his best.

Gone Girl - Much like most people, liked most of the movie but didn't care for the ending. While I didn't hate it as much as some, I think it could have gone a better way.

Wasn't Affleck practicing his speech in front of the mirror to expose her? What stopped him?
It was driving me crazy who the female cop was...Joanie from Deadwood. I see she's been in some other shows that I didn't watch.

3/5
She's also in the Walking Dead spinoff.

i love egoyan but i lost track of him following "where the truth lies". i see he's been mostly uneven since "felicia's journey" and i don't want to spoil my affection for him. i *really* loved "exotica" and think it might still be his best.
Exotica is my favorite as well- and the movie I had mind while watching The Captive, which didn't help.

Guardians of the Galaxy (4 of 5) - maybe even a 5 for the family. I have a 10 year old that a few of the things were not appropriate (rated PG-13) but not super awful. Everyone liked it. It moved fast, lots of action, decent quips/comedy thrown in. Nice graphics too.

The Hotel Budapest (2.5 of 5) - the best way to describe this is that it is another Wes Anderson movie. Fascinating to watch, but odd in many ways. Fun to see a lot of the cameos though. Brought almost to edge of "I've had enough" while at the same time still moved with no incredibly dull parts. Anderson movies are like stopping to look at the World's Largest Ball of Twine" - its just so weird you want to look.

My wife and I just finished watching James Wan's Insidious.

Holy ****ing ***t!!!!

This guy know's how to make horror movies. We also enjoyed and were completely freaked out by The Conjuring.

We look forward to watching Insidious Chapter II tomorrow night.

"Enemy at the Gates"
This was made in 2001 and IMHO it holds up pretty well. Not great, but still pretty good.
I really liked the role of Ed Harris, and Jude Law, however the ending was kind of weak in that they played this great game of cat and mouse only to end with Harris walking out into the open into a waiting line of fire. Sort of dumb, but I enjoyed it.
6/10 (would have been a 8/10 ten years ago)

"Mr. Brooks"
Kevin Costner as a serial killer.
I fired this up over the weekend for what I think was probably the fourth time.
I LOVE this movie. Such a well told story in a unique way with the William Hurt alter ego character.
10/10

FROM IMDB:

Mr. Earl Brooks: [about Mr. Smith] Maybe I should drive over there and pick him up.

Marshall: No, just honk. Maybe he'll get killed crossing the street. Save us the mess of doing it.

[both start laughing. Then, Mr. Brooks honks the horn and Mr. Smith nearly gets hit by a car while crossing]

Mr. Earl Brooks: Almost.
"Foxcatcher"
A lot of people I have read - have talked about the great transformation and performance of Steve Carrell, but I was really impressed with the performance of Channing Tatum and Mark Ruffalo. Ruffalo, like Carrell - was nearly unrecognizable at first.
I hate to say anything bad about this movie because of the these three great performances, but this movie might be the most depressing movie I've seen in a long time.
6/10

"Unbroken"
I might be in the minority, but I didn't like it which is a shame because the story is truly amazing. I typically rate a movie by how much I think about it the day after I've seen it. I saw this on a Saturday night and didn't think about it again until Monday when I someone asked me how my weekend was.
I just think they tried to do and tell too much story within a 2 hour 15 minute film. It just isn't possible.
The performance of Louis Zamperini by Jack O'Connell was forgettable.
Really great story. Really disappointing movie. Pretty good movie - far from great.
6/10

Last edited by a moderator:
The Spectacular Now 9.5/10 - So what to say about this movie other than that I went out and bought the book after I saw it? And the book was great, too. Just a classic, beautifully done teen movie, in the not-so-teen-movie sense of that world. I would watch this again and again and again and never get sick of the leads, the performance, the script, the scenery, the cinematography, anything about this. It's very real and very bittersweet. Instant classic.

"Unbroken"

I might be in the minority, but I didn't like it which is a shame because the story is truly amazing. I typically rate a movie by how much I think about it the day after I've seen it. I saw this on a Saturday night and didn't think about it again until Monday when I someone asked me how my weekend was.

I just think they tried to do and tell too much story within a 2 hour 15 minute film. It just isn't possible.

Really great story. Really disappointing movie. Pretty good movie - far from great.

6/10
Haven't seen the movie but the book was pretty weak. IMO it was actually a disservice to what Zepperelan went through.

"Mr. Brooks"

Kevin Costner as a serial killer.

I fired this up over the weekend for what I think was probably the fourth time.

I LOVE this movie. Such a well told story in a unique way with the William Hurt alter ego character.

10/10

FROM IMDB:
Great movie. And yes, that part was pretty funny.

Edge of Tomorrow - Honestly, kind of disappointed after all the good reviews. I'm sure I was just being too uptight, as there are always plot holes with time travel stuff, but some of it just bothered me too much to really sit back and enjoy it like I should have (not even counting the ending, which I was OK with). For instance....

1) Seemed like just talking to the general to let them attack the Omega was the way to go. They tried to BS their way out of it with Rita saying she tried it, but sure enough later in the movie they go talk to him and it (basically) works.

2) They spent like 200 days trying to get off the beach to get to the dam where they thought the Omega was, even lamenting several times how difficult it was to get off the beach. Why did they have to go to the beach? Why not just steal a chopper from the base and fly it over there? I'm sure it would only take a couple of resets to figure out how to steal a chopper from the base.

3) This was my biggest pet peeve. Cage and Rita find out that the Omega is in the Louvre while trying to escape the embassy. At that point, they have the intel they came to the embassy for, they're in a compromising position where someone is trying to capture them but not kill them (which could ruin Cage's ability), and they need extra time (to get to Paris). Why wouldn't Rita just shoot Cage in the face to reset the day right then? It was totally out of character for her not to do that. Throughout the whole move she popped him every time he broke a fingernail or someone gave them a funny look, but here when they have everything to lose and literally nothing to gain by staying in the current day, she doesn't? I hate it when movies/shows make someone act completely out of their character just to advance the plot, and that's all this was.
:goodposting:

Saw EoT yesterday. Entertaining for sure but like you wrote, the plot holes detracted a lot.

The ending was horrible.

Completely guessing here, but in my mind I can come to terms with some of what you had issues with:

1) Seemed like just talking to the general to let them attack the Omega was the way to go. They tried to BS their way out of it with Rita saying she tried it, but sure enough later in the movie they go talk to him and it (basically) works.

- They might have needed to figure out exactly what to say to him, as Cage says, the General is a stubborn guy. But why did they get chased after the General gave them what they wanted?

2) They spent like 200 days trying to get off the beach to get to the dam where they thought the Omega was, even lamenting several times how difficult it was to get off the beach. Why did they have to go to the beach? Why not just steal a chopper from the base and fly it over there? I'm sure it would only take a couple of resets to figure out how to steal a chopper from the base.

- They'd probably have to learn how to fly the aircraft without a squad. but the pilots seemed convinced easily enough when needed. It should have been more difficult to get an aircraft even after they got J squad; but Cage couldn't reset, so they had to make it work.

3) This was my biggest pet peeve. Cage and Rita find out that the Omega is in the Louvre while trying to escape the embassy. At that point, they have the intel they came to the embassy for, they're in a compromising position where someone is trying to capture them but not kill them (which could ruin Cage's ability), and they need extra time (to get to Paris). Why wouldn't Rita just shoot Cage in the face to reset the day right then? It was totally out of character for her not to do that. Throughout the whole move she popped him every time he broke a fingernail or someone gave them a funny look, but here when they have everything to lose and literally nothing to gain by staying in the current day, she doesn't? I hate it when movies/shows make someone act completely out of their character just to advance the plot, and that's all this was.

- Yep. She was starting to have feelings for him, but she was a Soldier first and knew he'd survive. No reason given for this decision.

The ending was abysmal. Does the Alpha go back or does the omega reset time? If the Omega ceased to exist, nothing could put them back in time. Unless the alien species not on earth put them back, but that makes no sense. Perhaps this just leaves room for a sequel?

"Unbroken"

6/10
Haven't seen the movie but the book was pretty weak. IMO it was actually a disservice to what Zepperelan went through.
Did you read devil at my heels? If not, then I would definitely pick it up.

Skeleton Twins:

Read a couple reviews, and i am not sure where the laughs were. Worth watching for the performances, but oveeall was a downer for me. 6/10

Horns:

Interesting idea, but didn't enjoy much of the execution. 5/10.

The newest Hobbit = 2/5

Terrible. Felt like I was watching a Michael Bay Transformers movie. Character development in the whole Hobbit trilogy sucked. I didn't care about any of these characters unlike LOTR. This trilogy was a huge, HUGE $$$$$ grab.

The newest Hobbit = 2/5

Terrible. Felt like I was watching a Michael Bay Transformers movie. Character development in the whole Hobbit trilogy sucked. I didn't care about any of these characters unlike LOTR. This trilogy was a huge, HUGE $$$$$ grab.
I wonder if this was as much about the Hobbit being a very slight (in pages) kids' book, and the LOTR being a lengthy more adult (or young adult) trilogy?

Mario Kart said:
The newest Hobbit = 2/5

Dwarves are ###holes. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread