What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Freaks and Geeks (1 Viewer)

CGRdrJoe

Footballguy
I know the FFA is a big fan of this show and the series is running frequently on IFC (free on direct tv channel 559). I never realized the cast until watching it again now: James Franco, Seth Rogen, Jason Segel, and Martin Starr. I guess the cast makes sense knowing Judd Apatow produced it.

I'm pissed that they removed/replaced like 90% of the songs.

How ####### greedy can the record companies be?

Ditto WKRP and Beavis & Butthead

I know the FFA is a big fan of this show and the series is running frequently on IFC (free on direct tv channel 559). I never realized the cast until watching it again now: James Franco, Seth Rogen, Jason Segel, and Martin Starr. I guess the cast makes sense knowing Judd Apatow produced it.
Linda Cardellini down?

love that halloween one where she eggs her own dorky brother.

Last nights was funny too, he got thrown out of the gym locker room without any clothes on LOL

Watched every episode when it first aired, and now DVRing all the episodes now.

IMO, one of the best shows in recent memory - particular for those of us that went to junior high/HS in the '80s.

TiVo snagged 7 yesterday :banned:
:cry: Did the same. Watched about 5 of them with the wife and kids. I forgot just how awesome Bill (Martin Starr) was. I don't care if he was really acting or that's just him but he's perfect as the uberdork.

I watched three in a row on Friday night.

While I agree that it's a good show, what strikes me as the ways in which it would probably be better show today. F&Gs came out just as TV was undergoing a rapid growth in sophistication predicated by the cable series.

Today, I don't think that Lindsey's parents would be written so broadly. That feels very much like a holdover from a show from the 90s. The show is really good when it keeps it's focus on the kids. The adults never quite feel as authentic.

I watched three in a row on Friday night.While I agree that it's a good show, what strikes me as the ways in which it would probably be better show today. F&Gs came out just as TV was undergoing a rapid growth in sophistication predicated by the cable series. Today, I don't think that Lindsey's parents would be written so broadly. That feels very much like a holdover from a show from the 90s. The show is really good when it keeps it's focus on the kids. The adults never quite feel as authentic.
I love some of the adult characters on this show - Jeff Russo may be my favorite. Coach Fredericks is good too.

That sucks, the music choices were always spot on. Please tell me they didn't mess with "Come Sail Away" in the dance scene - one of my favorites.

Last edited by a moderator:

That sucks, the music choices were always spot on. Please tell me they didn't mess with "Come Sail Away" in the dance scene - one of my favorites.
That stayedawesome

The ones I've been catching lately seem to be doing a better job at keeping the original music choices

Never saw it originally- but loving the episodes I catch on IFC now.

Saw the episode where the uber-dork crank-calls the PE teaacher... :thumbup:

Been watching an episode a day for about the past week. The acclaim is well deserved, it's easily worth checking out if you haven't seen it. I'm amazed at how many familiar faces there are.

Sundance has been playing a bunch of the episodes over the past couple of months. I've caught most of them, though a lot were out of order.

I wish I'd seen it before. It's such a great show.

Of all the coming of age/teen-angst movies and TV shows I've ever seen, this one seems to feel the most authentic.

I never watched ER (don't remember her in Brokeback either), so I'd never heard of Linda Cardellini. She is fantastic in this show though. The whole Weir family is great.

The weak spots in the show, imo, are the 2 that became the biggest stars. Rogen is terrible. Seems like they could have cast any ol' meathead in that role and been fine. Segel's performance is decent and the character has his moments, but he's more annoying than funny most of the time.

I could see where the show struggled to find an audience, being both a comedy and a drama, but I tend to like those type of shows. F&G strikes that balance far better than most.

Loved the ending of the last ep...finally a realistic coming of age type of moment rather than sitcom life...plus a Grateful Dead Ripple!

As a teen I had a similar type of coming of age experience which I always cherished - now watching it again as I have 3 kids it scares me to death seeing it!

How this series lasted one year and other slop goes on forever just boggles my mind.

How this series lasted one year and other slop goes on forever just boggles my mind.
Been saying that for years.IIRC, one big thing is that NBC monkeyed around with its time slot a lot, to the point of it not being able to find a consistent audience.Another issue - which can't be faulted for anyone - is that the show resonated HIGHLY to those of us that were in school during the early '80s. But if you're much younger or older than that age group, it may not have the same magnetism.But all that said, viewers are the big losers - such incredible writing and performances. I still miss the show a lot.

Been saying that for years.IIRC, one big thing is that NBC monkeyed around with its time slot a lot, to the point of it not being able to find a consistent audience.Another issue - which can't be faulted for anyone - is that the show resonated HIGHLY to those of us that were in school during the early '80s. But if you're much younger or older than that age group, it may not have the same magnetism.But all that said, viewers are the big losers - such incredible writing and performances. I still miss the show a lot.
They did the same to Scrubs...thankfully it laster long enough to get multiple seasons but its like networks have something against smart comedies without laugh tracks....CougarTown is next on the chop block.

The weak spots in the show, imo, are the 2 that became the biggest stars. Rogen is terrible. Seems like they could have cast any ol' meathead in that role and been fine.
Disagree with this pretty strongly. I think he was great in the show, both with his one liners and more dramatic stuff like the episode when he finds out that his tuba-playing girlfriend once had a weiner.

The weak spots in the show, imo, are the 2 that became the biggest stars. Rogen is terrible. Seems like they could have cast any ol' meathead in that role and been fine.
Disagree with this pretty strongly. I think he was great in the show, both with his one liners and more dramatic stuff like the episode when he finds out that his tuba-playing girlfriend once had a weiner.
Yeah, I was wrong. I started liking his performances more as I kept watching.

just started watching this show, so sad it ends at 18 episodes, this show should have been on for many seasons, there was so much story to explore and one of the best casts ever.

Very late to the F&G party. Just started watching this on Netflix. 4 episodes in, and loving it.

I rewatched this on Netflix a few months ago; still great. But I'm kinda happy that it ended after one perfect season. I feel that this type of show easily jumps the shark with any additional seasons if characters graduate and grow up.

Users who are viewing this thread