What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone hiked the Grand Canyon? - update: I survived! (2 Viewers)

Sounds like you already have a pack, but this is a great day pack: http://www.rei.com/product/864675/osprey-stratos-24-pack

The bag is designed to sit off your back so it keeps you cool, which for summer hikes is bery helpful, especially if you are sweat a lot. it is also spacey and super comfortable
:wub: I love my Osprey packs. I have...a lot of them. I can't seem to stop buying packs; it's a mental illness. Osprey also has a new line of "anti-gravity" packs coming out right about now.
I have this pack and am seriously considering getting that new AG pack.

http://www.rei.com/product/846406/osprey-aether-60-pack

And I've never even gone on a hike yet.

What your input on the one I have vs this new one?

http://www.rei.com/product/878452/osprey-atmos-65-ag-ex-pack
I :heart: the pack you have. Haven't tried the new anti-gravity packs yet personally but have heard feedback from those who have. I'd say 80-90% of the feedback was along the "this is a game-changer" lines, basically that the way it distributes weight makes the pack feel significantly lighter than the same weight in other packs, well more than making up for the extra weight of the pack itself. Also, people love the fit itself and feel like the pack is more stable.

I've heard a few people who don't see the benefit balancing out the pack weight, and from a few that don't like the shoulder straps thinking that they are too close to their neck--this is problem for a small % people with other Osprey packs and is allegedly worse in these models in terms of "pinch". Overall the feedback I've heard has been overwhelmingly positive. I'd suggest trying it on and seeing how it feels on you. If you're an REI buyer, by the way, the annual 20% off coupon comes out this Friday so it's a good time to buy anything you've been eying in the higher price ranges.
Wow, thanks. Now I'm even more tempted than before.
Steap and Cheap has Osprey packs often. They have the Aura 50 on right now for $115 for 5 more minutes.
Steep and Cheap is part of the reason I have way too many packs. :bag:

You should probably have a dedicated first aid kit. But if not make sure you at least have some moleskin/scissors to sort your feet out if you blister.

You can get away with duct tape and wrap it around your poles to save weight/space. But moleskin will be more comfortable if things go wrong. PS it's not very intuitive how you use it. You cut a hole where the blister is and the moleskin is around it. Nothing touches the blister. If duct tape, then you put the non sticky side as the contact for the blister and wrap the sticky side to keep things in place.

Everything will be better if you take care of your feet when a hotspot develops instead of waiting for an actual blister. Pretreatment like suggested above can help too. But if your boots are worn in your chances are pretty good of not getting blisters anyway.
GB BB, Niles has probably forgotten more than I will ever know about this topic, but my hiking boots are nicely broken in and I still will get blisters if I don't pretreat... IF I am pushing the distance far beyond my norms. Just sayin'.

Worth reading.

also, I have bizarre feet and am really hard to fit, so maybe your good to go, but nothing ruins a good hike like blister pain.

REI Member discount starts on the 27th. 20% off any single item. Their Osprey packs also come with the rain cover and a dry bag. I have a $50 REI gift card I've been looking to use so I'll probably pick up the 60.

REI Member discount starts on the 27th. 20% off any single item. Their Osprey packs also come with the rain cover and a dry bag. I have a $50 REI gift card I've been looking to use so I'll probably pick up the 60.
I got my larger pack from Amazon Warehouse Deals, and I would have to pull it out to know the brand. :shrug:

I hate carrying gear.

Sounds like you already have a pack, but this is a great day pack: http://www.rei.com/product/864675/osprey-stratos-24-pack

The bag is designed to sit off your back so it keeps you cool, which for summer hikes is bery helpful, especially if you are sweat a lot. it is also spacey and super comfortable
:wub: I love my Osprey packs. I have...a lot of them. I can't seem to stop buying packs; it's a mental illness. Osprey also has a new line of "anti-gravity" packs coming out right about now.

I :heart: the pack you have. Haven't tried the new anti-gravity packs yet personally but have heard feedback from those who have. I'd say 80-90% of the feedback was along the "this is a game-changer" lines, basically that the way it distributes weight makes the pack feel significantly lighter than the same weight in other packs, well more than making up for the extra weight of the pack itself. Also, people love the fit itself and feel like the pack is more stable.

I've heard a few people who don't see the benefit balancing out the pack weight, and from a few that don't like the shoulder straps thinking that they are too close to their neck--this is problem for a small % people with other Osprey packs and is allegedly worse in these models in terms of "pinch". Overall the feedback I've heard has been overwhelmingly positive. I'd suggest trying it on and seeing how it feels on you. If you're an REI buyer, by the way, the annual 20% off coupon comes out this Friday so it's a good time to buy anything you've been eying in the higher price ranges.
Steap and Cheap has Osprey packs often. They have the Aura 50 on right now for $115 for 5 more minutes.
I know nothing about the world of backpacks but what makes this a woman's pack. I almost ordered it in green, but... it's for a girl.
Didn't notice it was women's specific. They usually point that out better. Sizing is very important so that the weight is transferred properly. I'd guess the proportions are totally different. Shorter torso and maybe bigger hips compared to the rest of the measurements.

I know nothing about the world of backpacks but what makes this a woman's pack. I almost ordered it in green, but... it's for a girl.
Didn't notice it was women's specific. They usually point that out better. Sizing is very important so that the weight is transferred properly. I'd guess the proportions are totally different. Shorter torso and maybe bigger hips compared to the rest of the measurements.
Well, I got it for my daughter, wth. Thanks. :)

:2cents:

Well, I got it for my daughter, wth. Thanks. :)
One useful thing is to test out different pack brands. Different brands fit different body types. That's one risk with buying online. If you've liked Osprey in the past, most likely all the Osprey will fit the way you want. Just my :2cents:

Was doing really well with training and then got derailed for about 10 days when things got busy at work. Was able to start back up this past weekend. Will need to hit it really hard over the next month. The wife is trraining like a crazy person, so if need be, she can drag my butt out of the canyon. Seriously, though, I have a lot of work to do, but I'm feeling reasonably confident. I won't be breaking any time records, and it will no doubt be incredibly difficult, but I've gone from absolute dread to cautious optimism.

Soooooo...how's it going? Feeling ready? When do you start?

One update for Random: I sprung for the Osprey AG pack for Mr. krista. I think he would marry it if he could. I'm now considering one for myself, though I already have five other packs. :bag:

Also, if anyone is in need of stuff, the REI anniversary sale starts Friday. Not only some big discounts on about 70% of what they offer, but another 20% off coupon for members. :thumbup:

Soooooo...how's it going? Feeling ready? When do you start?

One update for Random: I sprung for the Osprey AG pack for Mr. krista. I think he would marry it if he could. I'm now considering one for myself, though I already have five other packs. :bag:

Also, if anyone is in need of stuff, the REI anniversary sale starts Friday. Not only some big discounts on about 70% of what they offer, but another 20% off coupon for members. :thumbup:
Just got back from doing some incline training over lunch!

Do I feel ready? Hell no. But I think my chances of survival are good. Have been going on one long hike per week, and then doing incline training or other cardio pretty close to daily. This past Sunday, I did a 21 mile hike (walk really) in 6 hours. I wanted to be sure that my feet could handle the distance. Did really well - feet were sore, but no blisters and was fully recovered by that evening. Unfortunately, because Houston is flat, my ascent over the course of that 21 miles was only about 800 feet, compared to the 6,000 I'll face in the canyon when we climb out. Still, it felt good to make it through a 21-miler without any major problems, and we'll take probably twice that long to do the 21 miles in the canyon, so the pace won't be so brisk.. Full disclosure, I did have some crotch rot/### chafing that was pretty painful later that night - but after applying some desitin it was fine by morning. If anyone has any advice on that front, it is welcome.

One other thing I wanted to achieve with the practice hikes is to ensure that everything is working from a clothing/gear standpoint and doesn't bother me. Tried the toe socks you recommended, but really preferred the Smartwool socks I have, which are thicker. Maybe I just needed thicker toe socks, but I guess there's no need to mess with what is working. Have Ex Officio underwear which were great (other than the ### chafing which wasn't really an underwear thing) under some very light Columbia hiking shorts. Wore a light long sleeve Ex Officio hiking shirt with UV protection. That was extremely comfortable, although I we haven't gotten up to the high temps we'll see mid-day in the canyon. Wearing a Tilly for a hat. I look pretty ridiculous, but it's comfortable and keeps the sun mostly off my face. Will be taking a buff with me as well. Been doing the long hikes with a mostly full pack (a reservoir Camelbak), and that's been just fine as well. So I think I'm good from a gear standpoint. Two more weeks of training and then we step off!

Thanks for the advice and assistance!

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife and I have a R2R2R planned in October (hike south to north, stay overnight at lodge, then hike north to south the next day). I haven't trained at all besides normal bike riding (~80 miles a week) and basketball 2x week. My wife runs marathons every few months. We've hiked plenty of mountains over the last 10 years. I really need to start training. I'm in pretty good shape, but I may fail miserably.

Chaos Commish said:
Body Glide isn't just for your crotch - toes and feet, under arms, back pack straps, anywhere there's friction. Great stuff. It's all I came in here to mention but saw others had it covered.
It's either that or yoga pants.
Thanks, will give this a try. Do you really apply this at your ### crack? I guess I'll be ready for some canyon rest stop action!

Psychopav said:
Hey biggie, you might want to check out a bladder insulator for that Camelbak if it'll fit. It'll keep the water cool for hours.

Bladder Insulators for Camelbak and Hydration Pack Water Bladder Reservoirs (Black, Small 33oz / 1.0L) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IQHQR3I/ref=cm_sw_r_awd_gw-uvb0T0C7NJ
Did a couple searches and didn't find one to fit my bladder, which is a new longer lumbar bladder. That being said, the pack itself has an insulated pocket where the bladder is stores that keeps water pretty cool for a good while. What I may get is insulation for the hose, however, which was linked at the link you provided. The water in the hose gets pretty warm, so your first couple gulps are tough. Thanks for the idea.

ArbyMelt said:
My wife and I have a R2R2R planned in October (hike south to north, stay overnight at lodge, then hike north to south the next day). I haven't trained at all besides normal bike riding (~80 miles a week) and basketball 2x week. My wife runs marathons every few months. We've hiked plenty of mountains over the last 10 years. I really need to start training. I'm in pretty good shape, but I may fail miserably.
If you've hiked plenty of mountains, you should be up for this, though I can't imagine making the return hike on day 2. Yikes.

I've gone on several 50 mile backpacking mountain hikes. One thing I always do, besides breaking in my hiking boots is to wear a pair of pantyhose knee highs (shorter, really) underneath my socks. I've never gotten even the start of a blister. And this is hiking in all kinds of weather, from sun blazing heat to cold downpours. You have to take care of your feet.

Chaos Commish said:
Body Glide isn't just for your crotch - toes and feet, under arms, back pack straps, anywhere there's friction. Great stuff. It's all I came in here to mention but saw others had it covered.
Thanks, will give this a try. Do you really apply this at your ### crack? I guess I'll be ready for some canyon rest stop action!
Yes -- pro tip here -- buy a separate container for the ### crack usage.

I will have to check out the body glide. Green Gold Bond works for me but you have to make sure everything is totally dry before applying or your junk will not be happy.

Chaos Commish said:
Yes -- pro tip here -- buy a separate container for the ### crack usage.
Just have your buddies apply it with their fingers. :shrug:

Did North Rim to South Rim in 12.5 hours in 2007. Can't believe it was that long ago. Stayed in a cabin on North Rim, woke up at 5:30, started at 6:30 and finished at 7pm. We got lucky on the weather, it was overcast.

Water, electrolytes, training. That's how I got through it. I would hike 10-12 miles twice a week, and hike Camelback or Squaw Peak 4-5 times per week. Did this for 6 months.

Very cool, BB. :thumbup:

I've haven't been around these parts much the last couple months, so I missed this thread. Looks like there is some real good stuff in here. I myself am preparing for a 90+ mile backpacking trek at Philmont Scout Ranch in NM coming up the end of July. Three food drops over the course of 10 days. Presently engaged in my final 12 weeks of prep. Unfortunately we can't do much to prepare for "altitude" here at sea level, so it will take a couple of days to adjust to elevations of between 8-12,500 ft. when we get out there. We've had a number of shakedown treks since last summer to work on the crew method and mastering the "Bear-muda Triangle" for bear safety. Very stoked.

When are you setting out again? Couldn't find the date...

I've haven't been around these parts much the last couple months, so I missed this thread. Looks like there is some real good stuff in here. I myself am preparing for a 90+ mile backpacking trek at Philmont Scout Ranch in NM coming up the end of July. Three food drops over the course of 10 days. Presently engaged in my final 12 weeks of prep. Unfortunately we can't do much to prepare for "altitude" here at sea level, so it will take a couple of days to adjust to elevations of between 8-12,500 ft. when we get out there. We've had a number of shakedown treks since last summer to work on the crew method and mastering the "Bear-muda Triangle" for bear safety. Very stoked.

Wow, that sounds like a pretty intense trip. Have fun. By the way, what is a "shakedown trek"?

We step off for the first hike on Thursday, May 28. Return hike is Saturday the 30th.

And for those interested in an assupdate - purchased some body glide yesterday and will give it a go during this Sunday's training hike. I'm giddy with anticipation!

Wow, that sounds like a pretty intense trip. Have fun. By the way, what is a "shakedown trek"?

We step off for the first hike on Thursday, May 28. Return hike is Saturday the 30th.
Why did I think you were going rim-to-rim one day, and then rim-to-rim the next day? :confused:

I see you edited the OP on the 13th. Was that the original plan? If so, I like the day break plan much better. :thumbup:

Why did I think you were going rim-to-rim one day, and then rim-to-rim the next day? :confused:

I see you edited the OP on the 13th. Was that the original plan? If so, I like the day break plan much better. :thumbup:
I just edited the title to add the crotch rot reference - figured that would drive more traffic to the thread to help solve my ### issues.

A one-day break in between the two R2R hikes was always the plan.

North Rim officially open today.

Here is what it looks like today, hopefully it warms a bit over the next two weeks!

Rim To Rim has a nice website with some good info. Their facebook page has pics, stories, and updates regularly as well.

This thread has me itching to get back out there this year.

Canyon Crossing ($15 at the gift shop) is a book I picked up when we were finished with our R2R and it is fantastic. It goes into the history of the canyon, the people, the geology, the wildlife, the challenges, etc. He details every step of the way along the Bright Angel, N Kaibab, and S Kaibab trails. It makes a good souvenir and adds a little depth to the experience in addition to the personal aspect of the adventure.

chauncey said:
North Rim officially open today.

Here is what it looks like today, hopefully it warms a bit over the next two weeks!

Rim To Rim has a nice website with some good info. Their facebook page has pics, stories, and updates regularly as well.

This thread has me itching to get back out there this year.

Canyon Crossing ($15 at the gift shop) is a book I picked up when we were finished with our R2R and it is fantastic. It goes into the history of the canyon, the people, the geology, the wildlife, the challenges, etc. He details every step of the way along the Bright Angel, N Kaibab, and S Kaibab trails. It makes a good souvenir and adds a little depth to the experience in addition to the personal aspect of the adventure.
Holy crap! Where did you get that photo?!?

The book sounds very cool. Will definitely make a point to pick it up. Thanks for the tip.

And for those interested in an assupdate - purchased some body glide yesterday and will give it a go during this Sunday's training hike. I'm giddy with anticipation!
Success!!! Ended up doing 17 miles today and not a single problem!
Glide is your friend on long runs and hikes.

That snow pic was posted on the Rim to Rim Facebook page Friday, not sure if it was from a hiker or ranger.

Looks like things are warming up a touch thank God. Catch an early flight tomorrow to AZ and we step off at 5:00am Thursday for hike #1. Plenty of excitement combined with a generous helping of dread. But looking forward to facing and overcoming the challenge.

Thanks for all of the extremely helpful advice. Hope to be back here posting in five days. If I'm not, send help!

Looks like things are warming up a touch thank God. Catch an early flight tomorrow to AZ and we step off at 5:00am Thursday for hike #1. Plenty of excitement combined with a generous helping of dread. But looking forward to facing and overcoming the challenge.

Thanks for all of the extremely helpful advice. Hope to be back here posting in five days. If I'm not, send help!
Have fun

I am down South outside of Tucson. If you are in the area send me a pm and I will meet you for a beer and you get the hike tale live!!

Did North Rim to South Rim in 12.5 hours in 2007. Can't believe it was that long ago. Stayed in a cabin on North Rim, woke up at 5:30, started at 6:30 and finished at 7pm. We got lucky on the weather, it was overcast.

Water, electrolytes, training. That's how I got through it. I would hike 10-12 miles twice a week, and hike Camelback or Squaw Peak 4-5 times per week. Did this for 6 months.
can you compare camelback to the grand canyon. obviously way smaller, but how similar are they?

can you compare camelback to the grand canyon. obviously way smaller, but how similar are they?
In my opinion not very

GLLLLLLLL biggie! So excited to hear about your adventures and see your pictures when you return!

I know that Chance is right there with you, every step of the way.

In my opinion not very
They're not that similar, but living in the valley at the time hiking Camel or Squaw was the best proxy for "going up", which is torturous.

Good luck. I was just at the south rim over the weekend and I think you'll catch some good hiking weather. It's unseasonably cool.

If you happen to pass through Kingman on your way back (not sure where you're flying into) drinks on me.

Have an awesome time. This is on the list for me and my family, but many years down the road. Can't wait to read the report. :thumbup:

Very limited cell coverage here at the north rim, but wanted to let everyone know I didn't die in the canyon. South rim to north rim is in the books and today is a day of rest. We do the return hike tomorrow. This was by far the most difficult physical challenge I have ever attempted by a factor of ten. The descent and hike across the canyon went smoothly enough. The ascent, however, was an absolute killer. My body (back, legs, knees, feet) held up just fine. But I didn't have the conditioning I needed for a 6000 ft ascent up to 8200 feet. It was an absolute bizzatch. Training at sea level certainly didn't help. The wife was in better shape and didn't have as much trouble. Still we both made it out in 11 hours, which was an hour under out budgeted time.

The experience was amazing. Awe-inspiring beauty like I've never seen before. Combined with a physical challenge that truly tested my limits. Will post more later when I have better coverage.

Thank you so much for all the amazing advice in this thread. Absolute gold.

Users who are viewing this thread