What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Isaiah Crowell (2 Viewers)

Here's the thing, if Crowell is the week one starter and he goes 22-110-2, he will stay the starter. If he goes 15-35, he's not going to. Che's the key to this. With Mack coming back I think he's got a good chance to succeed.
Sure, the return of Mack and an improved line is great but are there just too many backs to make one viable? Last year the week to week fluctuations between Tate, West and Crowell was painful, even with Tate out of the picture early. Now we can add Johnson to the mix.

And, even with a big first week, a fumble or two can change things in a hurry.

Here's the thing, if Crowell is the week one starter and he goes 22-110-2, he will stay the starter. If he goes 15-35, he's not going to. Che's the key to this. With Mack coming back I think he's got a good chance to succeed.
They start with the Jets, Titans, Raiders, and Chargers. Hopefully he gets more than just the Jets game to feature.

Sure, the return of Mack and an improved line is great but are there just too many backs to make one viable? Last year the week to week fluctuations between Tate, West and Crowell was painful, even with Tate out of the picture early. Now we can add Johnson to the mix.

Well they are all fumblers so the guy that fumbles will be back in eventually. The key for Crowell is to run hard, not fumble and hopefully when taking a breather, one of the other 2 guys fumbles.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ohhhhhhhhhhh I'm on! Oh yeaaaah!

Not if one just comes in and lights the league on fire.

it's like some ppl didnt actually watch Crowell play last season.

w a healthy o-line Im excited to watch her go berserk.

Hopefully he cleaned up his ball protection, cuz that's the only thing that'll stop him

Hopefully he cleaned up his ball protection, cuz that's the only thing that'll stop him
Not just a healthy o-line, but an improved o-line. It might be the best in the NFL this year. Crow is crazy good value.

Maybe you were thinking about Christine Michael?

Regarding Crow's chance to "set the league on fire" - I was wondering if the coaching staff is likely to go with one guy or actually prefer a rotation?

Maybe you were thinking about Christine Michael?

Regarding Crow's chance to "set the league on fire" - I was wondering if the coaching staff is likely to go with one guy or actually prefer a rotation?
I think set the league on fire is an exaggeration, but be a weekly startable mid level RB2 is very possible.

Crowell mentioned that he didn't play with confidence last year. He didn't look anything like what I saw in his college highlights. I thought he looked a bit timid. IF last season was him playing timid and without confidence, I can't wait to see what confidence looks like. I don't think we have seen the best of Crowell yet. Just my opinion.

Browns training camp Day 1: Shocking the system and easing in

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&post_id=47681

Excerpt:

Getting to know you: Running back Isaiah Crowell had ball security issues as a rookie, so it wasnt comforting to see Josh McCown and Crowell having exchange problems early in the practice. After the first, they spent time together with coordinator John DeFilippo then had another fumbled handoff shortly thereafter. The Crow also dropped a short pass a while later. Thats why we have camp, Pettine said. Its hard for him when he had time off to simulate that. Thats a priority not for just for him but for all our guys handling the football.

Crowell mentioned that he didn't play with confidence last year. He didn't look anything like what I saw in his college highlights. I thought he looked a bit timid. IF last season was him playing timid and without confidence, I can't wait to see what confidence looks like. I don't think we have seen the best of Crowell yet. Just my opinion.
This can be a huge factor. These kids (yes, kids) are playing on a big stage in front of a national audience and you can be so concerned with making a mistake that you think too much.

Rotoworld:

Isaiah Crowell received the first rep in team drills at Browns training camp Friday.

Terrance West received the first rep when the Browns opened camp Thursday. This is further confirmation that Cleveland will likely divvy up reps between Crowell, West and third-rounder Duke Johnson throughout camp until one separates from the pack. Crowell has the most talent as an inside runner but doesn't offer anything in the passing game and has experienced fumbling issues in the past. We still like Crowell at his eighth-round ADP.

Source: Nate Ulrich on Twitter

Jul 31 - 11:10 AM

Rotoworld:

Isaiah Crowell received the first rep in team drills at Browns training camp Friday.

Terrance West received the first rep when the Browns opened camp Thursday. This is further confirmation that Cleveland will likely divvy up reps between Crowell, West and third-rounder Duke Johnson throughout camp until one separates from the pack. Crowell has the most talent as an inside runner but doesn't offer anything in the passing game and has experienced fumbling issues in the past. We still like Crowell at his eighth-round ADP.

Source: Nate Ulrich on Twitter

Jul 31 - 11:10 AM
We need a merry-go-round emoticon

ESPN Cleveland says Terrance West looks "chunky" and could be on "thin ice" with the Browns:

And Duke Johnson has a hamstring injury.

hm.

ESPN Cleveland says Terrance West looks "chunky" and could be on "thin ice" with the Browns:

And Duke Johnson has a hamstring injury.

hm.
Things are breaking for him to have a very good shot as the primary back in TC and preseason. I'm just praying he holds into the ball.

I'm a Crow owner and it's tempting to believe he'll be a difference maker behind that o-line, but I'm conflicted on Crow because their passing game is such a non-threat and they face a tough schedule, particularly second half through fantasy playoffs. I'm torn on this one.

I'm actually less concerned with West & Johnson than I am with the lack of a passing game & schedule.

I'm a Crow owner and it's tempting to believe he'll be a difference maker behind that o-line, but I'm conflicted on Crow because their passing game is such a non-threat and they face a tough schedule, particularly second half through fantasy playoffs. I'm torn on this one.

I'm actually less concerned with West & Johnson than I am with the lack of a passing game & schedule.
the defense should keep the score down and that O line can open holes for lots of yards, as long as the QB dosnt turn it over alot they should be able to feed him enough... but yes QB situtation is terrible.

the defense should keep the score down and that O line can open holes for lots of yards, as long as the QB dosnt turn it over alot they should be able to feed him enough... but yes QB situtation is terrible.
Agreed. Great Oline, maybe the best in football. Yes, I know how good Dal is. This unit is VERY good as well. The D is solid and should improve. The risk with Crow is the crowded backfield.

jurb26 said:
burnall said:
satch said:

Agreed. Great Oline, maybe the best in football. Yes, I know how good Dal is. This unit is VERY good as well. The D is solid and should improve. The risk with Crow is the crowded backfield.
It's getting less crowded.

West is circling the drain(Immaturity), Johnson has a hammy and will sit for the next two weeks at least.

jurb26 said:
burnall said:
satch said:

It's getting less crowded.

West is circling the drain(Immaturity), Johnson has a hammy and will sit for the next two weeks at least.
I don't think any nails should be in West coffin at this point. Also, watching NFL network today and listening to the reports the team is in love with Duke... Reportedly. They claim he will have a big role. They are resting him and being extra cautious because they have big plans for him.

satch said:
A little surprised no one shares my concern about the schedule. With no real passing game, these defenses will be focusing on one thing, stopping the run. Crowell MAY be a very good RB but he certainly hasn't shown enough to be matchup proof, and these are the defenses he's facing beginning week 7. Note SF & SEA to begin fantasy playoffs. This has to be the #1 toughest schedule for a RB this year. The last half of the season he faces a very difficult matchup almost every week. Success is not going to come easy, even with a great o-line.

Rams

Cardinals

Bengals

Steelers

Ravens

Bengals

49ers

Seahawks

Chiefs
Not to say that's not a difficult schedule, but it's not as bad a you're masking it out. The Steelers and Chiefs were not good against the run the latter half of last year. Cleveland also had one very successful running game against the Bengals last year with the same inept passing game and a worse line (no Mack). Ravens lost Ngata, and SF lost 3 front 7 guys on defense.

Crow is a below average talent, average at best. His DVOA rankings back that and he also recorded the highest % of lost yards per carry. He was slightly more effective than West last year, in the ballpark of guys like Sankey & C. Johnson who everyone is writing off.

There is a reason Clev made an effort to address RB and draft Duke. It's because neither Crow or West are all that good.

That doesn't mean these guys can't be good fantasy players. The Oline and circumstances seem ripe for whoever emerges.

https://youtu.be/YKRDDoRWBzo

Isaiah Crowell, football player, RB, drug addict. And please understand, I don't hate the guy.I wish him luck at ASU and into the pros. I hope he gets his life together and keeps playing. This is just poking fun at the fans who keep saying someone is the next Herschel Walker.

Warning: This isn't a very flattering video. (imho) We could talk potential, but there has to be strides in improvement This season..

love how some people are trying to bury this kid after his rookie year, but Trent Richardson is still generating "buy low" interest.

i guess draft position really is a huge factor in how people think.

Rotoworld:

Isaiah Crowell - RB - Browns

ESPN Cleveland's Tony Grossi projects Isaiah Crowell as the Browns' Week 1 starter at running back.

With Duke Johnson (hamstring) and Terrance West (calf) on the shelf at Browns camp, Crowell has dominated first-team reps while ceding change-of-pace and passing-down work to journeyman Shaun Draughn. As Johnson generated all the pre-camp hype, Crowell's stock dropped a bit, making him a potential value pick in drafts. His current ADP is in the seventh round. 22-year-old Crowell scored eight TDs on only 148 carries as a rookie. With C Alex Mack back healthy, Cleveland's offensive line is among the best in football.

Source: Tony Grossi on Twitter

Aug 8 - 10:47 AM

ANyone thinking Duke Johnson will come in and have a HUGE role is SADLY mistaken. I called it in the Devonta Freeman thread last season and I'm saying it again here. The rookie will NOT have a big role this season unless Crowell and West are both killed in a bus accident on the way to the game. Period. I don't care how much "preseason hype" he has received to this point.

ANyone thinking Duke Johnson will come in and have a HUGE role is SADLY mistaken. I called it in the Devonta Freeman thread last season and I'm saying it again here. The rookie will NOT have a big role this season unless Crowell and West are both killed in a bus accident on the way to the game. Period. I don't care how much "preseason hype" he has received to this point.
Off season and preseason fluff mean nothing. Talent is what matters. If Duke is the best back he'll get a lot of work. Ask Gio Bernard.

I've read that Johnson's pass pro might be his biggest weakness which could hold him back in his first year.

There's a lot of things I don't like about Crow.. like the possibility of a RBBC, a tough schedule, a crap team and mental errors; I don't question his talent however. I think his current ADP (6th-8th) accurately weighs the risk/reward and I can see myself gambling there. At the least, I wouldn't be surprised if I end up trotting him out on fanduel/draftkings a bunch this year.

After last year, it's hard to imagine the Browns doing anything besides RBBC, but at least the RB coach is straight out acknowledging that he didn't like that last year and is trying to avoid a repeat.

Browns running backs coach Wilbert Montgomery:

Montgomery explained he hopes to avoid rotating starting backs like the Browns did last season with Crowell, West and veteran Ben Tate, who was cut in November.

“You need multiple backs, but I don’t want to get into that like I did last year — rotating,” he said. “I want one guy to be able to say, ‘Hey, we know who the starter is,’ like the other 31 teams in the National Football League. You’ve got one guy that’s going to start for you, and you’ve got other guys who are going to play the substitution role, and right here, this is the time that you try to separate from the other guys.”

As a Crow owner, this is HIGHLY discouraging. Where is the Crow that was driving the slam sedan? The Crow who played for Georgia? This Crow just seems happy smiling in pictures with kids. He has his $207,232 check and is just happy to be getting his food allowance every month. I was high on Crow but this news has me ready to move on from him. He had the PERFECT opportunity to seize the starting job with West and Johnson both on the trainer's table but the fire is clearly absent. I won't waste another minute defending Crow's complacency. Duke Johnson will likely be the starter before long. This really pisses me off. SoulFly, what is your take on this?!

As a Crow owner, this is HIGHLY discouraging. Where is the Crow that was driving the slam sedan? The Crow who played for Georgia? This Crow just seems happy smiling in pictures with kids. He has his $207,232 check and is just happy to be getting his food allowance every month. I was high on Crow but this news has me ready to move on from him. He had the PERFECT opportunity to seize the starting job with West and Johnson both on the trainer's table but the fire is clearly absent. I won't waste another minute defending Crow's complacency. Duke Johnson will likely be the starter before long. This really pisses me off. SoulFly, what is your take on this?!
This is a situation to closely monitor in preseason, but it isn't good when a player needs motivating at this point. In May, ok, but not August.

Apparently, $207 large buys plenty of pizza lunchables...

The realz is: the RB coach plays high stakes FF and is lowering Crows value so he can clean up with the Slam Sedan...

Users who are viewing this thread