What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

How long do you keep your cars? (1 Viewer)

ragincajun

Footballguy
2005 Honda - 123,000

2011 4Runner - 83,000

I average 12k and 20k annually on each. I think I can get another 5 out of the Honda and 10 out of the Yota. If I keep them that long is a different story.

2003 Accord -175K

2009 - Traverse 70K

Prior to the Traverse was a 1999 Durango 165K

I almost got rid om my honda twice but everyone I know that did said they regretted it.

I've had more trouble with the newer car than the Honda easily.

My commute just recently went back up to 100 miles aday total. So I reached the point of go until it dies. I have 15 months until my son is out of college. Then I'm getting a new ride. :knockonwood:

just traded in my 2003 accord that had 137k miles on it. Only reason I traded it in was because the inside was literally started to come apart (lining, carpets, etc) and I didn't feel like spending the money to get that fixed. Paid about $19k for it and got $2500 in on trade in.

We always keep our cars at least 10 years. You save a lot of $ by keeping them that long. Even if you have to put in an occasional $500 or $1,000 for maintenance, that is still only about 2-4 months of a new car payment. My current car is a 2000 Camry.

Trading in cars every 2-3 years is an incredible waste of money. Yes, it's certainly fun to have a new vehicle, but it's sure expensive to do so.

Don't drive much for work so generally keep my cars for a long period of time.

2003 Civic - 77k

2003 Odyssey - 45k

I used to average about 20,000 miles a year when I worked on Long Island. Now that I work mostly from home or in the city I've put on 13,000 on my new car in 3 years.

Once it gets around 100,000 miles, I start looking into a new one.

At least 10 years..

We have a 2004 Ford Tarus that has 150k on it.. Wife bought it new, I took it over for 5 years and now our daughter is driving it..

2008 Ford F150 - Only has about 50k on it so far.. At that rate it could last another 8+ years :thumbup:

I do work for the Big 3 and get their best exec deals on leases. Have 2 right now. Ford Escape that I got for 145.00 a month 18K miles a year. My wife drives a Malibu Limited for 159.00 a month 18K miles a year. These are sign and drive zero out of pocket. For leases this cheap it does not make sense for me to buy.

The Escape is up in January and right now I can get a AWD Charger RT for right around 160.00 so that might be my next car.

The road to middle class poverty is paved with car payments

2004 Trailblazer - 138k

2007 Accord - 80k

I'll probably be looking to replace the trailblazer relatively soon, but I really don't like very many of the options out there... i started a thread on it, and still don't have much clarity.

Till they die or get so repair dependent that its not worth it anymore. I press the "worth it" amount also. Not as dependent upon what I could sell it for as to what its going to take to replace. Not untypical to keep a car 12+ years with 200K miles.

Until the cost to repair it becomes more than the cost of a newer one, or some family or job related event makes sense for me to get a better one

Not counting high school beaters I had a 2002 trailblazer for about 10 years and 165K miles

Now have 2010 focus with 65K...probably drive it for awhile

I lease Chrysler minivans for the wife

2010 Altima - 25k miles

2013 CRV - 26k miles

The CRV is primarily my wife's car. She travels twice as far to work and is primarily the only car driven on the weekends.

When I was single and renting apartments, I'd get a new car every time my payoff amount and trade-in value came equal.

Since having kids and a mortgage, I plan to drive the Altima until it starts giving us real problems. We'll probably still trade the CRV in before it is paid off. I'm addicted to new cars and will always have at least one car payment.

Last edited by a moderator:
I almost got rid om my honda twice but everyone I know that did said they regretted it.

This is one of the reasons I'm struggling to turn in my trailblazer. It had some troubles early on... water pump failed twice, instrument cluster failed, fan blower motor failed.

But after that stretch, which was like 50,000 miles ago I've only replaced wear parts like brakes and tires and done oil and windshield wiper replacements.

Even though in theory today's cars should be more reliable than one I bought 12 years ago... I feel like they are shoving so many more gadgets into cars that can break now.... granted some of the newer safety features would be really like like traction control, lane assist, etc... it still seems like a gamble.

I also cringe when the car that truly meets my needs the best is a Durango.. and Chyrsler/Dodge/Fiat is at the absolute bottom of the heap for reliability.. which sucks when I like to buy and hold 10+ years.

The wife and I used to get new cars every year as part of the corporate lease program for VW. Since she stopped working there, we still get one through my mother's retirement account.

My car is a 2012 Kia Sorento that I bought in 2014, it's got 62k. No timetable on getting rid of it.

It depends on the car. I had a Honda Civic that I drove for 300,000 miles. I didn't want to get rid of it because I was afraid that whatever I bought would not be as reliable as what I already had. (i.e., the devil you know)

2003 Escalade - 155,000

2003 Altima - 235,000

2003 Grand Am - 140,000

All are running fine with occasional maintenance, although I just found out the transmission in the Grand Am is about to STB. Mechanic friend found a used one for $125 and will put it in for me for $750 total. Can't beat that. Everything else works fine.

I drive the Escalade, g/f drives the Altima, g/f's daughter drives the Grand Am. All are under my name. Keep up with the maintenance and care of the car, and the car will take care of you. I've had many new cars, but won't go that route ever again. Waste of money. All maintenance in the Escalade last year was oil changes and tires/front brakes. That's it. Anything a 2-3 year old car would have. Altima had oil changes and a new alternator. Grand Am had oil changes and tires and one wheel. Bought that car for $1500 last year, still going good despite the transmission issue. Happy with all three vehicles.

2003 Escalade - 155,000

2003 Altima - 235,000

2003 Grand Am - 140,000

All are running fine with occasional maintenance, although I just found out the transmission in the Grand Am is about to STB. Mechanic friend found a used one for $125 and will put it in for me for $750 total. Can't beat that. Everything else works fine.

I drive the Escalade, g/f drives the Altima, g/f's daughter drives the Grand Am. All are under my name. Keep up with the maintenance and care of the car, and the car will take care of you. I've had many new cars, but won't go that route ever again. Waste of money. All maintenance in the Escalade last year was oil changes and tires/front brakes. That's it. Anything a 2-3 year old car would have. Altima had oil changes and a new alternator. Grand Am had oil changes and tires and one wheel. Bought that car for $1500 last year, still going good despite the transmission issue. Happy with all three vehicles.
Sweet. Congrats on keeping them in good shape and being able to save that money.

This is one of the reasons I'm struggling to turn in my trailblazer. It had some troubles early on... water pump failed twice, instrument cluster failed, fan blower motor failed.

But after that stretch, which was like 50,000 miles ago I've only replaced wear parts like brakes and tires and done oil and windshield wiper replacements.

Even though in theory today's cars should be more reliable than one I bought 12 years ago... I feel like they are shoving so many more gadgets into cars that can break now.... granted some of the newer safety features would be really like like traction control, lane assist, etc... it still seems like a gamble.

I also cringe when the car that truly meets my needs the best is a Durango.. and Chyrsler/Dodge/Fiat is at the absolute bottom of the heap for reliability.. which sucks when I like to buy and hold 10+ years.
I had to have the timing chain done, 5 recalls, a bad strut and leaking axle seal on my traverse. In the first 70K

The only thing not under warranty was the strut.

I will jinx it I'm sure but Honda nothing close to that. I replaced the timing on my own because it was recommended at 110K.

I have 93k miles on my 2012 Honda Civic. I average about 25k to 30k miles annually so I'll probably look to trade it in for something new around the 150k mile mark.

Had a BMW 540i that was supposed to 200K miles blow an engine at 120K. Had it 10 years. Bought a 2 year old 2005 Cadillac CTS with 7K miles on it coming off a lease for 19K out the door. Still driving it. Has 90K on it now. Upgraded the wife from the minivan in 2005 with a loaded GMC Denali. Cost me 51K. Dumb purchase. But she is still driving it.

Otherwise, for all of my cars I've (including 3 for my kids that they drove through college and still have) I buy 2 year old cars with very low miles. Will do the same when current ones die. Love not having the shackles of car payments.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 2005 is a CRV, which I use to commute 38 miles round trip a day. I can realistically keep it for another 5 years and maybe push it to 8-10 years since that is all we use it for. I was looking at some mileage forecasts and we both may be hitting 200k plus right at the same time, and I am trying to prevent coming out of pocket for 2 notes at once.

I would mainly be looking at trading in the 4Runner for a few reasons.

1. The ride is horrible and this is the car we take on trips.

2. With 2 car seats it's essentially a 2 door car now.

3. The gas mileage. We average 17 no matter what.

4. The ride.

5. Trading it in would keep me from trading 2 cars in at once.

Of course putting all of that cash into savings and paying cash for one in 4-5 years is also very tempting and I think the right play.

04 Subaru 155k

hoping to make it to 300k
based on your mileage trajectory, you are telling me you want to keep the car another 10 years?

I'm hella cheap, and that seems insane.

There's a point at which the repairs will catch up to you. Suburu's tend to really start burning oil post 150k per consumer reports.

We have a 2005 Honda Odyssey that has 175k on it. Will drive it until it is not worth repairing. Just put 2 new $300 tires on it. Will have to do the others in the spring. Guy at the dealer where we take it says it is in good shape, with a large project on the horizon; suspension, I think, but that is a standard repair happening at X thousand miles.

Not having a car payment is joyous, and VA charges a PP Tax based on value of the vehicle, so an old valueless van is a bonus!!

1990-1997: 1990 Acura Integra (bought new)

1997-2008: 1994 Ford Explorer (traded the Acura; don't recall the mileage)

2008-present: 2009 Ford Escape (bought new; sold Explorer with 190K+ on it)

Escape currently has 150K

My wife drives a 2010 Kia Soul with 170K+ (she drives a LOT)

2000 Honda Accord - 205k

2013 Honda Ridgeline - 8k

I plan to keep them until they're more expensive to fix than another vehicle with a car payment would be to make said payments.

2005 Honda Accord EX V6 Silver Coupe, black leather. I bought it used with 70,000 miles for $9,500 about 4 years ago.

It now has 120,000 miles and I can still sell it for $6,500 easily. I put a set of $400 tires on it, timing belt and a few things, brakes...

Even if I sold it for $5k which I would get more but just say $5k. I have spent $4,500 plus a little for 4 years/50K miles of driving. And people wonder how some folks are able to get ahead.

I love my car but want another one about 2010 similar colors with 50,000-75,000 miles on it.

I have owned Civics, Preludes, Accords, most of the non SUV types but I would like a Honda Ridge if I ever go to a truck. You really get your money out of them. My last car had 150,000 miles on it, 1999 Accord and was totaled one night on the street by a drunk driver. I couldn't have sold that car for more than $3k but the insurance company gave me a check for $6,200 and that paid for most of this car I drive now.

I used to buy new cars when I was young.

2005 Honda Accord EX V6 Silver Coupe, black leather. I bought it used with 70,000 miles for $9,500 about 4 years ago.

It now has 120,000 miles and I can still sell it for $6,500 easily. I put a set of $400 tires on it, timing belt and a few things, brakes...

Even if I sold it for $5k which I would get more but just say $5k. I have spent $4,500 plus a little for 4 years/50K miles of driving. And people wonder how some folks are able to get ahead.

I love my car but want another one about 2010 similar colors with 50,000-75,000 miles on it.

I have owned Civics, Preludes, Accords, most of the non SUV types but I would like a Honda Ridge if I ever go to a truck. You really get your money out of them. My last car had 150,000 miles on it, 1999 Accord and was totaled one night on the street by a drunk driver. I couldn't have sold that car for more than $3k but the insurance company gave me a check for $6,200 and that paid for most of this car I drive now.

I used to buy new cars when I was young.
Just to let you know, I have a Ridgeline and it's been great for me. I drive it minimally (lugging stuff and for winter travel) and it's still like new.

2005 Nissan Quest 135k

2005 BMW 330ci 105k

2013 Infiniti G37x 35k

The infiniti is our "new" car. Just added our 4th driver to the household.

Currently driving a 2007 4 Runner with 85K miles...plan to drive for at least a few more years.

It has been pure gold.

I just bought a 2016 Accord. It will be my son's first car in 7 years.

2011 4Runner 65k

I keep buying cheaper and cheaper. 6 years ago we drove new Escalade and BMW... I am becoming Dentist.

I always try to get to 200k. Recwntly got there with a Honda Civic, Ford Probe and Toyota Sienna. The Probe was in rough shape but the engine was sound at 200k, the others weremail sound at 200k.

Juse sold my 1998 F150 to a buddy, that was 17 years, it had 150k. It will make it to 200k.

2004 Honda CRV (bought used) 160k miles

2012 BMW M3 41k miles

Will be driving those for the immediate future, not planning to be in the car market for at least three to five years.

I generally intend on driving my cars into the ground, and have done so a couple of times. The last few years I've bought and sold my primary car after only about 12 months. Currently I am driving a 2002 Lexus ES300 that my dad was going to trade in for $3000, but sold it to me for that amount. It has $182,000, but zero issues. I plan to drive it for a couple of years, then give it to my son when he'll be 16. No idea what I'll buy at that time but I hope to be saving some money for a couple of years to be able to pay mostly cash for a Jeep.

My wife drives a 2006 Sienna we bought in 2007 with 20k miles. It now has 145k or so. Will need to be replaces soonish.

I've owned 3 cars in my lifetime:

1995 Acura Integra - gave it to my BIL at 135,000 miles in 2005 because I wanted a sports car.

2006 Porsche 911 - totaled in 2009 at ~43,000 miles thanks to an old man in a Ford F150 who didn't notice everyone in front of him had stopped

2009 Mercedes Benz SLK55AMG - 75,000 miles and still going strong. I'll keep this one until the maintenance/repair cost gets too high.

2006 Jeep Cherokee - 225k

2009 Kia Sportage - 120k

Had a 91 Jeep Cherokee with 335k that I turned in to the Clunker program in 2009. I rarely changed the oil and pretty much the only expenses were new tires every few years. The dealership told me it took 45 minutes for the car to finally die when they tried to disable it. That car would have easily lasted another 10 years.

1988 Pontiac 6000...bought used in 1990 with about 42k miles on it - totaled it in 1992 with about 77k

1992 Chevy Corsica...totatled it in 2000 with about 80k on it

2001 Chevy Blazer...traded in with about 90k on it in 2010. Needed serious repairs.

2010 Toyota 4 Runner...almost at 50k and hoping I get at least 10 years out of it.

Wife - 2014 Ford Flex, 15k miles, halfway through a 36 month lease

Mine - 2015 Ford Edge Sport - company car, 9500 miles, will order something new in March.

Users who are viewing this thread