What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Offical Korean War Thread (1 Viewer)

Following things to logical conclusions ...

If North Korea's aim is to get concessions and aid, but the international community ignores the rhetoric (or doesn't respond in the desired way) ... doesn't NK have to "first strike" something somewhere? Not saying nukes ... maybe another island shelling or taking out an SK destroyer or something.

I realize that Un is doing a lot of this for domestic consumption, but still. Can Un keep power -- and keep his military's brass in line -- if he talks this much without result?
IMO he is getting tons of results. He is making it clear to the world that North Korea matters, and has to be paid attention to. He is shoring up the military in his own country. He is positioning himself for whatever future actions he wants to take.

“North Korea warned Japan Friday that Tokyo would be the first target in the event of a war on the Korean Peninsula if it continues to maintain its hostile posture,” reports South Korea’s Yonhap News Agency this morning in America, by way of a report from the DPRK’s state-run Korean Central News Agency.

“Japan always remains a target of the DPRK’s revolutionary armed forces. Once Japan makes even a slight provocation against the DPRK, the former will be hard hit before any others,” the report adds.

It's almost like their plan is to launch a missile without warning over Japan forcing them to shoot it down.The resulting missile knockdown will then be viewed as an act of "provocation" and who knows what happens next?

If we can get past April 15th without conflict, I will be happy.

“North Korea warned Japan Friday that Tokyo would be the first target in the event of a war on the Korean Peninsula if it continues to maintain its hostile posture,” reports South Korea’s Yonhap News Agency this morning in America, by way of a report from the DPRK’s state-run Korean Central News Agency.“Japan always remains a target of the DPRK’s revolutionary armed forces. Once Japan makes even a slight provocation against the DPRK, the former will be hard hit before any others,” the report adds.
This is playing to Korean and Chinese populism given Imperial Japan's conquest and brutality, and possibly also to Japanese pacifism (ironically enough) in a bid to get them to pressure the US to reduce the tensions.

This whole thing is going to be mosquito time. The mosquito buzzes and dodges away, buzzes and dodges away. You wave in it's general direction. Finally it lands, sticks it's spike in and draws blood. It hurts. And suddenly it's spread all over your arm as you crush it and wipe off the mess.

“North Korea warned Japan Friday that Tokyo would be the first target in the event of a war on the Korean Peninsula if it continues to maintain its hostile posture,” reports South Korea’s Yonhap News Agency this morning in America, by way of a report from the DPRK’s state-run Korean Central News Agency.“Japan always remains a target of the DPRK’s revolutionary armed forces. Once Japan makes even a slight provocation against the DPRK, the former will be hard hit before any others,” the report adds.
This is playing to Korean and Chinese populism given Imperial Japan's conquest and brutality, and possibly also to Japanese pacifism (ironically enough) in a bid to get them to pressure the US to reduce the tensions.
Yeah I think Japan is over the pacifism thing. And I don't think they'll be asking the US to do anything but back them up if NK does something stupid.

Junior looks more clueless by the second.

Yeah I think Japan is over the pacifism thing. And I don't think they'll be asking the US to do anything but back them up if NK does something stupid.

I just view this whole scenario as so precedent setting with jUnior. I think if we back down we're going to have decades of trouble from him. He seems very reckless.

I disagree. If NK had a successful attack on Japan, the bulk of the response will come from the US.

I just view this whole scenario as so precedent setting with jUnior. I think if we back down we're going to have decades of trouble from him. He seems very reckless.
I hope in the end, many years from now, Junior will be a peacemaker.

There's no way that regime is able to change that much and survive.

They'd have to give up nukes and demilitarize significantly, and that would undercut support from the military establishment which is what holds the gang in place.

There's no way that regime is able to change that much and survive.

They'd have to give up nukes and demilitarize significantly, and that would undercut support from the military establishment which is what holds the gang in place.
China is managing the process. NK clearly isn't China and China still has a long way to go, but NK can open their country to more trade, more business, and reduce tensions with the south and still survive IMO.

I disagree. If NK had a successful attack on Japan, the bulk of the response will come from the US.
Well since Japans military is so small, at our bidding, of course it would. What I was saying is Japan wouldn't be calling for restraint. They'd be calling for heads.

Well since Japans military is so small, at our bidding, of course it would. What I was saying is Japan wouldn't be calling for restraint. They'd be calling for heads.
I disagree with this. Japan isn't uniform about policy as a nation any more than we are, and they are as a general matter in no hurry to have a major military (and potential nuclear, especially given their history) conflict right on their doorstep just as they're cleaning up a civilian nuclear disaster.

Japan certainly has its hawks, but they've also got a significant dove contingent and so I see them being torn here and more than a little concerned that war may be chosen for them by the SK's (with whom they've got a significant historical/cultural/economic rivalry) and the cowboy Americans.

How would we react if Cuba still had nuclear missiles and their government just threatened to bomb us?
whats your point?
Just speculating on what the national mood in Japan is this morning.
Shall we assume away our cultural, historical, military and political differences with Japan when answering this?
I am going to do that, but also replace Cuba with Mozambique and the US with Borneo. Borneo would complain to the UN.

Out of curiosity and not advocating it, but what's the fallout from striking him first and ending him today?
You mean like forcing a nuclear armed power into war on a peninsula occupied by our close ally and 30k+ of our troops, in a hugely important economic region occupied by important trading partners and other allies as well as rivals, one of whom (China) might even be provoked to lend direct military support to NK if we struck first?

BTW, even if we actually kill Un on the first strike, it's not at all clear that he's actually the guy in control of the political and military machinery in that country such that it would "decapitate" the regime successfully.

And then of course there's the world condemnation of acting like this.

It would, in short, be a mess that we just couldn't justify short of getting hard, unambiguous evidence that NK was going to strike first, and maybe not even unless NK was planning on a first nuclear strike.

Out of curiosity and not advocating it, but what's the fallout from striking him first and ending him today?
You mean like forcing a nuclear armed power into war on a peninsula occupied by our close ally and 30k+ of our troops, in a hugely important economic region occupied by important trading partners and other allies as well as rivals, one of whom (China) might even be provoked to lend direct military support to NK if we struck first? BTW, even if we actually kill Un on the first strike, it's not at all clear that he's actually the guy in control of the political and military machinery in that country such that it would "decapitate" the regime successfully. And then of course there's the world condemnation of acting like this. It would, in short, be a mess that we just couldn't justify short of getting hard, unambiguous evidence that NK was going to strike first, and maybe not even unless NK was planning on a first nuclear strike.
:goodposting:

You mean like forcing a nuclear armed power into war on a peninsula occupied by our close ally and 30k+ of our troops, in a hugely important economic region occupied by important trading partners and other allies as well as rivals, one of whom (China) might even be provoked to lend direct military support to NK if we struck first? BTW, even if we actually kill Un on the first strike, it's not at all clear that he's actually the guy in control of the political and military machinery in that country such that it would "decapitate" the regime successfully. And then of course there's the world condemnation of acting like this. It would, in short, be a mess that we just couldn't justify short of getting hard, unambiguous evidence that NK was going to strike first, and maybe not even unless NK was planning on a first nuclear strike.
Thanks for answering T. I asked because I got into a conversation before i posted in here with a blowhard who just wants to bomb everyone. Im no expert but i at least know the basics and we shouldnt and wouldnt do it so i asked to get more reasons. I tried conveying some of these points but there's no reasoning with them. His comparison was gaddafi, saying he shut up after we bombed his house and killed half his family which I argued was it because of the disco bombing not a first strike. Then I brought up China and he said #### them, we'll just threaten to pull out our sweatshops and corporate money makers (ie McDonald's, etc) and they'll let us do what we want. :lmao: Knowing I couldn't get through to this blockhead I finally relented and agreed to fire up some cruise missiles and start the party. Then he bought me a shot. :thumbup: :lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
http://news.yahoo.com/north-korea-moves-two-more-missile-launchers-report-035049930.html

Been out the news for awhile. They are still moving their missiles though. Must be solar powered or something.
They've been quiet because they know we are in a foul mood and not really feeling like dealing with them. If nothing else countries have learned not to screw with us much right after something like Boston as we have a tendency to want to blow some #### up and if that #### belongs to someone that annoys us all the better.

http://news.yahoo.com/north-korea-moves-two-more-missile-launchers-report-035049930.html

Been out the news for awhile. They are still moving their missiles though. Must be solar powered or something.
They've been quiet because they know we are in a foul mood and not really feeling like dealing with them. If nothing else countries have learned not to screw with us much right after something like Boston as we have a tendency to want to blow some #### up and if that #### belongs to someone that annoys us all the better.
Meh, he's from a full on crazy family tree, would not put anything past NK.

Tackling Dummies said:

They are very sane and they have played the world like a fiddle for years. The problem today is this "kid" has little actual experience running the con. But we do ourselves a disservice when we chalk it up to crazy.

Thanks for answering T. I asked because I got into a conversation before i posted in here with a blowhard who just wants to bomb everyone. Im no expert but i at least know the basics and we shouldnt and wouldnt do it so i asked to get more reasons. I tried conveying some of these points but there's no reasoning with them. His comparison was gaddafi, saying he shut up after we bombed his house and killed half his family which I argued was it because of the disco bombing not a first strike. Then I brought up China and he said #### them, we'll just threaten to pull out our sweatshops and corporate money makers (ie McDonald's, etc) and they'll let us do what we want. :lmao: Knowing I couldn't get through to this blockhead I finally relented and agreed to fire up some cruise missiles and start the party. Then he bought me a shot. :thumbup: :lmao:
That's a good first shot to fire. :thumbup:

Tackling Dummies said:

They are very sane and they have played the world like a fiddle for years. The problem today is this "kid" has little actual experience running the con. But we do ourselves a disservice when we chalk it up to crazy.
We'll agree to disagree as to playing like a fiddle. Check out some feedback from folks that have managed to escape the country and they might have a different view.

Tackling Dummies said:

We'll agree to disagree as to playing like a fiddle. Check out some feedback from folks that have managed to escape the country and they might have a different view.
Up until recently they rattled and the world jumped. The big dogs live in opulent luxury. So the people are starved pretty sure the family couldn't care less and in fact it helps them maintain control.

Tackling Dummies said:

The poorer-than-dirt regime is still in power, and now with a nuclear weapons program, right?

Crazy like a fox is not the same thing as crazy. They're capable of miscalculating, but not because they have no "values" that they pursue and/or are willing to protect, particularly regime survival.

From today's WSJ. Take it for what it's worth:

By LINGLING WEI
BEIJING—State-owned Bank of China Ltd. 601988.SH 0.00% said it cut off a major North Korean bank accused by the U.S. of providing financial support to Pyongyang's nuclear and ballistic-missile program, in what appears to be the first publicly announced step by a Chinese government-controlled firm to sever ties with a North Korean entity.

The Foreign Trade Bank of North Korea, the country's main foreign-exchange bank, was notified that its account was closed, Beijing-based Bank of China said in a brief statement, without offering any details.

The move by Bank of China follows sanctions against North Korea announced in March by the U.S., which singled out the Foreign Trade Bank over its alleged role in the nuclear program. Under the sanctions, Washington effectively cut the bank and several North Korean officials off from the U.S. financial system.

U.S. officials have warned financial institutions around the world about the risks of doing business with the bank. American officials have raised issues involving the bank with China, though Beijing hasn't commented publicly on the issue.

The move also comes as China is under growing pressure from the U.S. as well as sectors of the Chinese public to distance itself from its longtime ally following North Korea's increasingly belligerent behavior. Beijing agreed to new U.N. sanctions against North Korea after Pyongyang conducted its third nuclear test in February. However, China has maintained trade with North Korea despite calls from Washington for a tougher stance.

It is hard to say whether Bank of China's move was a result of a government directive or whether the bank acted out of self interest.

One of China's largest state-owned banks that also has sizable and expanding operations in the U.S., Bank of China takes political direction from Chinese leaders. Analysts say its decision to cut off the North Korean bank would almost certainly require top-level government approval. Bank of China declined to comment beyond its short statement.

Some analysts say Washington's sanctions against North Korea could deter foreign banks doing business in the U.S. from dealing with the North Korean bank. Bank of China's operations in the US could theoretically be sanctioned if it continued doing business with the Foreign Exchange Bank of North Korea.

After the U.S. Treasury in 2006 blacklisted Macau-based Banco Delta Asia for allegedly helping North Korea launder money, Beijing quietly froze a number of North Korean accounts at the Bank of China's Macau branch, apparently fearing Chinese banks could be targeted by the U.S. The U.S. later unwound the action against Banco Delta Asia, which denied wrongdoing.
Meanwhile...

SHANGHAI—General Motors Co. GM -0.50% said it received permission from Chinese authorities to build an 8 billion yuan ($1.3 billion) factory to manufacture its Cadillac brand, boosting the U.S. auto maker's ambition of becoming a larger player in China's booming luxury car market.
The conclusion seems kind of obvious to me.... if push comes to shove between the U.S. and North Korea, unless China feels their sovereignty is being threatened, it doesn't look like they're going to be in a big hurry to side with DPRK over the U.S.

Well reports are missiles have been removed from launchers. Someone had a come to Jesus meeting with Junior perhaps.

johnnycakes said:

By LINGLING WEI
BEIJING—State-owned Bank of China Ltd. 601988.SH 0.00% said it cut off a major North Korean bank accused by the U.S. of providing financial support to Pyongyang's nuclear and ballistic-missile program, in what appears to be the first publicly announced step by a Chinese government-controlled firm to sever ties with a North Korean entity.

The Foreign Trade Bank of North Korea, the country's main foreign-exchange bank, was notified that its account was closed, Beijing-based Bank of China said in a brief statement, without offering any details.

The move by Bank of China follows sanctions against North Korea announced in March by the U.S., which singled out the Foreign Trade Bank over its alleged role in the nuclear program. Under the sanctions, Washington effectively cut the bank and several North Korean officials off from the U.S. financial system.

U.S. officials have warned financial institutions around the world about the risks of doing business with the bank. American officials have raised issues involving the bank with China, though Beijing hasn't commented publicly on the issue.

The move also comes as China is under growing pressure from the U.S. as well as sectors of the Chinese public to distance itself from its longtime ally following North Korea's increasingly belligerent behavior. Beijing agreed to new U.N. sanctions against North Korea after Pyongyang conducted its third nuclear test in February. However, China has maintained trade with North Korea despite calls from Washington for a tougher stance.

It is hard to say whether Bank of China's move was a result of a government directive or whether the bank acted out of self interest.

One of China's largest state-owned banks that also has sizable and expanding operations in the U.S., Bank of China takes political direction from Chinese leaders. Analysts say its decision to cut off the North Korean bank would almost certainly require top-level government approval. Bank of China declined to comment beyond its short statement.

Some analysts say Washington's sanctions against North Korea could deter foreign banks doing business in the U.S. from dealing with the North Korean bank. Bank of China's operations in the US could theoretically be sanctioned if it continued doing business with the Foreign Exchange Bank of North Korea.

After the U.S. Treasury in 2006 blacklisted Macau-based Banco Delta Asia for allegedly helping North Korea launder money, Beijing quietly froze a number of North Korean accounts at the Bank of China's Macau branch, apparently fearing Chinese banks could be targeted by the U.S. The U.S. later unwound the action against Banco Delta Asia, which denied wrongdoing.
Meanwhile...

>SHANGHAI—General Motors Co. GM -0.50% said it received permission from Chinese authorities to build an 8 billion yuan ($1.3 billion) factory to manufacture its Cadillac brand, boosting the U.S. auto maker's ambition of becoming a larger player in China's booming luxury car market.
The conclusion seems kind of obvious to me.... if push comes to shove between the U.S. and North Korea, unless China feels their sovereignty is being threatened, it doesn't look like they're going to be in a big hurry to side with DPRK over the U.S.
North Korea is basically a big slave labor camp for the Chinese. It's simultaneously a major security concern on its border, a major international embarassment, and a big cause for communist nationalists.

Most countries we can relate to as being led by conservatives or liberals, but what is China led by? I say this because no one including Argentina thought the UK would fight for the Falklands, but they sure as heck did.

The Chinese were the ones fighting the USA in the early 50s, some in China haven't forgotten that. The basically free labor isn't irrelevant either, there are many in China making money off that sector.

By LINGLING WEI

Meanwhile...

>SHANGHAI—General Motors Co. GM -0.50% said it received permission from Chinese authorities to build an 8 billion yuan ($1.3 billion) factory to manufacture its Cadillac brand, boosting the U.S. auto maker's ambition of becoming a larger player in China's booming luxury car market.
North Korea is basically a big slave labor camp for the Chinese. It's simultaneously a major security concern on its border, a major international embarassment, and a big cause for communist nationalists.

Most countries we can relate to as being led by conservatives or liberals, but what is China led by? I say this because no one including Argentina thought the UK would fight for the Falklands, but they sure as heck did.

The Chinese were the ones fighting the USA in the early 50s, some in China haven't forgotten that. The basically free labor isn't irrelevant either, there are many in China making money off that sector.
The Chinese are too invested in the US to ever go to outright war with them.

Indeed, it doesn't seem like North Korea fits anywhere on the standard left-right political spectrum that, say, someone in the U.S. would think about. Is that the case?If we have to posit it anywhere on the ideological spectrum, we have to say that it's more of a far-right country. This is a country with a race-based way of looking at the world. It does have a command economy, but the far-right national defense states of the 1930s and 1940s, namely imperial Japan and Nazi Germany, also had a command economy. It was perhaps not quite as extreme as the one you see in North Korea, but a command economy is by no means incompatible with a far-right state.

But we have to keep in mind that this left-right scale should really be envisioned more as a kind of circle. In other words, the further you get to the extreme left, the closer you get to the extreme right. I would see North Korea as being right there where the extreme right and the extreme left meet.
http://www.3quarksdaily.com/3quarksdaily/2010/04/immersion-in-propaganda-racebased-nationalism-and-the-unfigureoutable-vortex-of-juche-thought-colin-.html

- Good piece.

Users who are viewing this thread