What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Justice Scalia Dead (1 Viewer)

There won't be any names floated until after the funeral probably.
Republicans will probably fillibuster that too.
Isn't it the Senate's job to vet Supreme Court candidates? Or are they just supposed to rubber stamp nominees and do whatever the President wants? Asking for a friend.
So rubber-stamping is bad, but obstructing any and all nominees is okay? Nice logic construct, Aristotle

As graduating 8th graders, we had our trip to Washington D.C. for a few days doing the 8th grade thing... the whole graduating class. One of my classmates was Scalia's nephew, so when we went to the Court, we actually met him and he gave us a bunch of history and then talked NY sports or whatever to relate to us (at the time boring, and in retrospect wonderfully naive and therefore non political).

Matt Mackowiak ‏@MattMackowiak 20m20 minutes ago

Remember: Harry Reid blocked Miguel Estrada for two years. Two years. Senate will be out from July-late Nov in election year.
- Estrada - Hispanic guy, right?
That's a Court of Appeals position, not a Supreme Court position. The current Republicans have been blocking Court of Appeals judges for that long as well. I don't support doing that for either party, but it's completely different from a Supreme Court position.
Not doubting you but why? Popular pressure?
Why what? Why don't I support blocking Court of Appeals judges? Or why shouldn't a political party make a blanket statement that it won't consider any Supreme Court justices?

Isn't it the Senate's job to vet Supreme Court candidates? Or are they just supposed to rubber stamp nominees and do whatever the President wants? Asking for a friend.
So rubber-stamping is bad, but obstructing any and all nominees is okay? Nice logic construct, Aristotle
:lmao:

Yeah, how do the Senate Republicans credibly block the appointment of a guy confirmed 97-0 just two and a half years ago.

Edit: Was responding to the post about Sri Srinivasan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, how do the Senate Republicans credibly block the appointment of a guy confirmed 97-0 just two and a half years ago.

How can a party with Cruz and Trump as nominee-favorites be concerned with credibility?

Please don't share this elsewhere.... Just spoke with my nephew who did some work with Scalia. He also worked in the West Wing so he's also pretty tied in to that scene as well. His guess is that Obama will appoint Sri Srinivasan. He described him as a little Left leaning to Moderate.

My nephew is Liberal but Scalia was his favorite Justice. He's pretty upset.
Well someone should reply to this.

Great insight, thanks.

I think Sri was on the short list last time.
No problem. Good thing I was nice to the kid when he was little. Never imagined he would grow up arguing cases in the Supreme Court and writing speeches for the President. I like to remind him that it wasn't that long ago when he was ####ting in diapers.

Service Birth Name, state Assoc. Justice Chief Justice Yrs Place Date Died ReligionAntonin Scalia, DC 1986– — N.J. 1936 2016 Roman CatholicAnthony M. Kennedy, CA 1988– — Calif. 1936 — Roman CatholicClarence Thomas, DC 1991– — Ga. 1948 — Roman CatholicRuth B. Ginsburg, DC 1993– — N.Y. 1933 — JewishStephen G. Breyer, MA 1994– — Calif. 1938 — JewishJohn G. Roberts, DC - 2005 N.Y. 1955 — Roman CatholicSamuel A. Alito, N.J. 2006– — N.J. 1950 — Roman CatholicSonia Sotomayor N.Y. 2009– — N.Y. 1954 — Roman CatholicElena Kagan N.Y. 2010– — N.Y. 1960 — JewishBy the end of the next President's first term Kennedy will be 84, Ginsburg will be 87, and Breyer will be 82.
Good lord, 6 Catholics and 3 Jews, amen.
That's their birth religion, not what they believe today. For example:

Sotomajor did an interview on Fresh Air (16:05), and had this exchange (paraphrasing):

Host: Your grandmother was a strong believer in the spirit world and held seances. How did this affect you?

Sotomayor: I'm far too rational to believe in such things.

As graduating 8th graders, we had our trip to Washington D.C. for a few days doing the 8th grade thing... the whole graduating class. One of my classmates was Scalia's nephew, so when we went to the Court, we actually met him and he gave us a bunch of history and then talked NY sports or whatever to relate to us (at the time boring, and in retrospect wonderfully naive and therefore non political).
LOOK AT ME, I GRADUATED EIGHTH GRADE

I can only imagine the look on Scalia's face if, when he gets to the pearly gates, God tells him that he is gay during the split second between the *click* of the trap door latch releasing and its opening...

Remember: Harry Reid blocked Miguel Estrada for two years. Two years. Senate will be out from July-late Nov in election year.
That's a Court of Appeals position, not a Supreme Court position. The current Republicans have been blocking Court of Appeals judges for that long as well. I don't support doing that for either party, but it's completely different from a Supreme Court position.
Why what? Why don't I support blocking Court of Appeals judges? Or why shouldn't a political party make a blanket statement that it won't consider any Supreme Court justices?
I misunderstood you, I thought you were saying there was some technical reason that would prevent the Senate from doing what was done to Estrada.

Is it illegal to hold up nominees? Maybe they were blocked because the vetting process worked? Asking for a friend.

I misunderstood you, I thought you were saying there was some technical reason that would prevent the Senate from doing what was done to Estrada.
No, the senate already did what was done to Estrada to Obama's Court of Appeals appointees. That's why the senate went with the "nuclear option".

Has anyone posted the amazing onion headline yet?

"Justice Scalia dies after 30 year battle with social progress"

Watching some coverage and they confirmed what was said about upcoming cases like the immigration one.. That it will go forward and if there is a 4-4 tie then it reverts to the lower court decision. . Aka Obama's executive order goes :bye:

But they also mentioned in regards to any decisions already made and just waiting the ruling to be released that if his vote would have broke a 4-4 tie then those cases need to start ovet..

How is it that he passes away at 10 this morning and that it takes 7 hours for the national media (or even the Gawkers of the world) to find out??

Ministry of Pain said:
There is nothing the Republicans can do to hold up the types of appointees Obama has been giving them. In fact the best thing the GOP can do is allow it to work its natural course. The American people decided Obama was the right person to make these decisions in 2008 and 2012, now respect the democratic process in this country. People made their bed, let them lie in it.
Interesting, I never knew the Dems let every nom go flying through.

Snoopy said:
Ilov80s said:
Wow. How quick is the turn around on replacing them? Was he expected to retire soon?
He was not going to retire with Obama being able to nominate a replacement. Obama will likely give a quick name but the Senate will hold it up as much as possible.
Obama is the kind of President to try and push one through to carry out his agenda. I'm sure he's pumped.

Easy. They just drag out the arguement about not changing the balance of the court like Democrats do.

Snoopy said:
Ilov80s said:
Wow. How quick is the turn around on replacing them? Was he expected to retire soon?
He was not going to retire with Obama being able to nominate a replacement. Obama will likely give a quick name but the Senate will hold it up as much as possible.
Obama is the kind of President to try and push one through to carry out his agenda. I'm sure he's pumped.
why wouldn't he. He has 25% of his term left.

Some horribly classless posting in this thread. Why not go pee on your grandma's grave?
My grandma wasn't a horrible piece of hateful #### like this guy was.
Scalia is an honorable man who served his country. Just because someone disagrees with your values does not make them trash. Posting like you do does though. HTH.

Is it illegal to hold up nominees? Maybe they were blocked because the vetting process worked? Asking for a friend.
is it illegal to quickly approva a good nominee maybe they were approved because they were vetted and good and the process worked asking for a friend who is not a nincompoop take that to the bank brohans

Some horribly classless posting in this thread. Why not go pee on your grandma's grave?
Scalia is an honorable man who served his country. Just because someone disagrees with your values does not make them trash. Posting like you do does though. HTH.
He is not trash - he treated certain others like trash however.

Awful person. World is better without. Just because somebody died doesn't suddenly make them a noble Saint. Sorry for his family and those that loved him but thrilled his ridiculous view of the world will never be imposed again.

He is not trash - he treated certain others like trash however.
It wasn't too long ago that Obama and Hillary were saying marriage is between a man and a woman. This holier than thou crap is pretty disgusting especially right when someone just died.

:goodposting: Sorry I am not crying in my beer for some piece of #### that was hellbent on keeping our country in the 1950s.

Awful person. World is better without. Just because somebody died doesn't suddenly make them a noble Saint. Sorry for his family and those that loved him but thrilled his ridiculous view of the world will never be imposed again.
I don't know much about him. What view did he have that were so horrible?

Users who are viewing this thread