What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Best albums of 2016 (2 Viewers)

Electric Citizen new album Higher Time was just released and is on Apple Music.  They are currently on tour with Wolfmother in Europe.

New Stone Roses single is predictably underwhelming. Sad what might have been with those guys if they hadn't broken up after Second Coming.

Feel like lots of good stuff has come out recently after quite a dearth. This Nothing album is pretty good. Giant shoegazey guitars. Reminds me of Title Fight. 

Hearing Stephen Malkmus doing China>Rider on "The Day of the Dead" compilation is kinda great. Some other fun stuff on there. Not a huge "covers" fan, but they did a good job putting it together.

Meg Myers worth listening to?
I really really enjoy her, but I don't always trust my opinions matching others.

Great voice that would make her a pop star, if her songwriting was as dark as it was. Fiona Apple is the easy comparision, my kids think it's Katy Perry when I play on the radio. The songs have a grungy pop feel, like Nirvana.

When I heard that song I was surprised Ocasek approved it.  I guess he didn't.

Good record though, I'm in on the CSH bandwagon.. kid has some serious chops to make angsty rock songs sound that big.. Sioux Falls guy wishes he could pull it off
He doesn't do predicable either. He zigs when most would zag. Very good album. 

This sounds pretty damn good 

Looking forward to getting into Parquet Courts' new one. 
I don't know what was with me, but I never really got on the Parquet Courts train, despite a lot of the love I've seen thrown their way.  To be fair, the vast majority of my music listening is while I'm at work, so I'm often not paying attention, but the new album still didn't grab me.

Happened to somehow have it in the Spotify queue somehow and it came up today.  Holy ####, I love this.  These should have been on the Bottle Rocket soundtrack.  Really great stuff.

I don't know what was with me, but I never really got on the Parquet Courts train, despite a lot of the love I've seen thrown their way.  To be fair, the vast majority of my music listening is while I'm at work, so I'm often not paying attention, but the new album still didn't grab me.

Happened to somehow have it in the Spotify queue somehow and it came up today.  Holy ####, I love this.  These should have been on the Bottle Rocket soundtrack.  Really great stuff.
I think it's a ton catchier than their previous stuff. Less monotone. 

Teens of Denial is AOTY for me so far.  This is really good.  Thanks for the heads-up.

Kvelertak.  Fvucking rules

Car Seat Headrest likely my favourite of the year so far as well. So good.
:blackdot: for all of those.

This isn't new, but I've stumbled onto Ceremony's "the L shaped man" recently (released last year)... best thing I've heard in ages. tickles all my post-punk, garagey happy-spots. 

some other stuff I don't think I've seen mentioned:

Wall- ep

Bleached- welcome to the worms

Death Grips... pretty much an album a year from them...  consistent noisey/industrial rap mix.

Yak- alas salvation

Kins- Most Definitely ep (radiohead vibe).

Happy Diving- so bunted (single)... might be from last year.

Deerhoof- Fever 121614

yeah- the carseat thing is all kinds of good. thanks, music nerds.

oh- while stumbling around spotify, I found some random song that I liked that I noticed had very few followers... but was linked to a playlist. I jumped into that playlist and about a thousand tunes all pretty much in my wheel-house with enough overlap to know I'm in the right place and more than enough things I haven't heard of or listened to to make me  :wub:

fwiw- I'll do my best to post the link here. if that didn't work, the playlist is called: lo-fi, garage rock, surf rock, post-punk, punk rock, etc etc...

oh- while stumbling around spotify, I found some random song that I liked that I noticed had very few followers... but was linked to a playlist. I jumped into that playlist and about a thousand tunes all pretty much in my wheel-house with enough overlap to know I'm in the right place and more than enough things I haven't heard of or listened to to make me  :wub:

fwiw- I'll do my best to post the link here. if that didn't work, the playlist is called: lo-fi, garage rock, surf rock, post-punk, punk rock, etc etc...
Bass Drum of Death  :thumbup:

PUP's The Dream is Over sounds pretty kickass so far. RIYL FIDLAR's first one, Blink 182, Titus Andronicus, Japandroids, large guitars. 
  •  

Last edited by a moderator:
I think RIYL threw him off. PUP's first was excellent. One would do well by themselves checking out their KEXP performance of it online, which fairly well blisters. 

I like "Moods Baby Moods" from Sonny and the Sunsets.  Smith has moved in an 80s synthpop/yacht rock direction but there's more than enough weirdness to keep things interesting.  Some of that may be due to the production by Merrill Garbus (aka Tuneyards) but don't let that dissuade you.  RIYL:  Destroyer (sort of).

I'm also too busy digging the new Monkees record to put anybody down. 

Tortoise -- The Catastrophist

Savages -- Adore Life

Any day now , I think,  for new Rob Crow Project (Rob Crows Gloomy Place?  some #### like that)  and new PJ Harvey thng.

This is more a  note to myself on what I need to catch up on / look out for. 

More notes for myself of things to listen to, pulled from this thread.  Thanks to whoever brought this #### to the table.   

• Santigold - 99c
  • White Denim album "Stiff"
  • The Thermals -- We Disappear
  • Bob Mould 'Patch the Sky' 
  • Parquet Courts – Human Performance
  • WOODS - CITY SUN EATER IN THE RIVER OF LIGHT 
  • PUP's The Dream is Over
  • Kvelertak – Nattesferd
  • Car Seat Headrest – Teens of Denial
  • SIOUX FALLS – ROT FOREVER

One record that has my full interest is "Outer Heaven" by the Greys.    Anyone here know about this joint?   seems like what I know of tastes of some in here this would be a big hit. 

Track samples:

Blown Out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NSI7F7QEoI

No Star:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aFhLEOtH6YM

From the Amazon editorial on Outer Heaven:

with longtime producer Mike Rocha, giving heavy hitters like “Blown Out” and first single “No Star” unprecedented atmospheric depth while never compromising the band’s characteristic cacophony. The young quartet stretches its limbs like never before on more delicate tracks like “Erosion,” where Jiwani sings softly over Cam Graham’s delicate guitar, recalling the dream pop qualities of early Deerhunter or late-period Unwound. Elsewhere, on “Sorcerer,” bassist Colin Gillespie and drummer Braeden Craig launch an unrelenting yet hypnotic assault that falls somewhere between Sonic Youth and Portishead. With ten tracks at just under forty minutes, Greys raise the bar for what is expected of a punk band in the 21st century.

This is next on my list for consumption.   I'll report back after a couple listens, but all boned up over everything I've heard so far.   

Last edited by a moderator:
Also in the next week or three we have upcoming :

• Melvins – Basses Loaded
  • Swans -- the glowing man

YES ITS ANOTHER BLACKDOT POST FOR MYSELF.    

aka  GET A ####IN BLOG, AHRN.    Hey fella, chill.   maybe I will.  

The Kills' new album is pretty sweet.  A little more melodic and more interesting musically, but still with the same underlying edge.

Death Grips... pretty much an album a year from them...  consistent noisey/industrial rap mix.
I always like listening to a few of their songs, but too many gets annoying.  A few of them are really tight and remind me a lot of RATM.  I assume they like the music the way they do it, but I feel like they could really get a lot of appeal if they were tighten up some of the tracks and make them more hooky.  I know that probably sounds dumb, but I just get really excited by the tracks where they do that.

I always like listening to a few of their songs, but too many gets annoying.  A few of them are really tight and remind me a lot of RATM.  I assume they like the music the way they do it, but I feel like they could really get a lot of appeal if they were tighten up some of the tracks and make them more hooky.  I know that probably sounds dumb, but I just get really excited by the tracks where they do that.
:goodposting:

totally agree with everything you wrote. first song on a new album- I'm all in. second song... yeah, ok. third song.... time to think about something else. the songs that are more hooky are really great, but then the rest is just angry noise. I kinda respect that they maintain that approach... but agree with you completely. why not the angry noise but with good hooks?

listening to Tracy Bryant's "Subterranean"... really liking it. kind of surfey/post-punk/psychodelic. will have to see if this one has the goods to linger.

I think a few people in here might like the self-titled from PKEW PKEW PKEW (yeah, bad name). They're a Toronto band that opened for The Hold Steady last year, that's how I first saw/heard them, they're super fun live and Craig Finn still tweets about them a lot. They're more in the same vein as PUP (who are also from Toronto and they're touring with) and Japandroids but maybe more pop-punky and lyrics about skateboarding/football/pizza and group shouted vocals... if you hate it, the album is 11 songs/21 minutes.

Here's ####### Pandemic

I think a few people in here might like the self-titled from PKEW PKEW PKEW (yeah, bad name). They're a Toronto band that opened for The Hold Steady last year, that's how I first saw/heard them, they're super fun live and Craig Finn still tweets about them a lot. They're more in the same vein as PUP (who are also from Toronto and they're touring with) and Japandroids but maybe more pop-punky and lyrics about skateboarding/football/pizza and group shouted vocals... if you hate it, the album is 11 songs/21 minutes.

Here's ####### Pandemic
"Let's Order A Pizza", huh?  Yeah, I'm in by default.  Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread