What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***New York*** (2 Viewers)

Yeah, if you haven't, read that article I linked above.  Bad stuff.  14th St. will be a mess as well.  
I skimmed it before, but didn't see that part about a proposed transit zone on 14th St (not definitive). 

had been thinking about the damage/crowds that will hit my F train (all about ME, ME, ME), but hadn't thought about the manhattan people who had use the L to get cross-town. the M14A and D will be even more packed... but hopefully will have more buses running. 

14th st is already a mess, essentially one lane each way for traffic between double-parked trucks, buses and cars trying to make the turns onto the avenues. I don't know that what I read in that proposal is going to make things anything any worse... and any kind of bike lane on it will certainly help the bikes at least (I always avoid 14th st on a bike).

people at work who live in Brooklyn say they'll walk/bike/bus/G-train to the 7 rather than the JMZ... but they're both in Greepoint.

Head of the Harbor, Stony Brook, Poquott, Port Jeff and Belle Terre are all fairly quiet North Shore towns with various beaches and scenery. Drive south on Nichols Rd for South Shore beaches at Corey Beach, a little farther East to Smith's Point. 25A is nice up there, there's a decent dining scene. It's not glamorous, but it's not crowded either.

If I saw a dude holding a child, I'd give up my seat... Not the norm. I remember a trip I took with son to Katz deli to pick up food for some people we were having over. I had 4 gigantic bags in one arm and a 2 year old in the other, not that crowded of a train and nobody offered a seat, figured bad luck, but now I think it is the norm.
I honestly think you'd have a better chance if the kid was standing, rather than you holding him- people would see a little guy struggling to hold on and get up for him.

but either way- ####ed up nobody's giving up their seat for him at least.

when I'm on the subway I don't even bother to sit, even if the train isn't full. I just figure I'm sitting most of the day at work and healthy, so I'm happy to let anybody else have the seat... but especially elderly, pregnant women, people with kids, people with arms full (in that order).

Gov. Christie filling in for Boomer on Boomer & Carton tomorrow AM (8/5). Should be interesting.
Wha?  Like for the full run of the show?

That sounds awful. Like more awful than Boomer & Carton, who are pretty damned awful. 

Is having one pompous, ignorant fat bully not enough for the station?

Gov. Christie filling in for Boomer on Boomer & Carton tomorrow AM (8/5). Should be interesting.
He does it pretty frequently (well, as frequent as you'd expect a sitting Governor who already does very little actual governing for his current state). It's not that interesting. Carton is his buddy and will bust his balls about being a Trump lapdog but that will be the extent of it, outside of some random other Trump jokes which Christie will brush off. 

If I saw a dude holding a child, I'd give up my seat... Not the norm. I remember a trip I took with son to Katz deli to pick up food for some people we were having over. I had 4 gigantic bags in one arm and a 2 year old in the other, not that crowded of a train and nobody offered a seat, figured bad luck, but now I think it is the norm.
yeah, but you appear to be a decent human being.  serious lack of those everywhere these days.

My wife's grandmother (passed away a few weeks ago at 91, but rode the subway regularly up until a few years ago) used to say that white guys would offer up their seats the least frequently. Hispanic men the most, with black guys closely following them. 

Just one data point from an old Jewish woman. 

Unless I'm on a completely empty train, I just don't sit. Then I never have to feel bad or decide which woman I should get up for. Taking the bus to/from Hoboken, young professional guys NEVER give up seats for women. That shocked me when I first started living there. Even if only to serve as a way to possibly chat up a girl, it seemingly never happens. 

He does it pretty frequently (well, as frequent as you'd expect a sitting Governor who already does very little actual governing for his current state). It's not that interesting. Carton is his buddy and will bust his balls about being a Trump lapdog but that will be the extent of it, outside of some random other Trump jokes which Christie will brush off. 
True. Last time was pre-RNC, a lot of crazy has gone on since. I expect mostly homer support for the Giants, Jets and Mets though, per usual. Bruce Springsteen, yada yada. Lol. 

My wife's grandmother (passed away a few weeks ago at 91, but rode the subway regularly up until a few years ago) used to say that white guys would offer up their seats the least frequently. Hispanic men the most, with black guys closely following them. 

Just one data point from an old Jewish woman. 

Unless I'm on a completely empty train, I just don't sit. Then I never have to feel bad or decide which woman I should get up for. Taking the bus to/from Hoboken, young professional guys NEVER give up seats for women. That shocked me when I first started living there. Even if only to serve as a way to possibly chat up a girl, it seemingly never happens. 
I will echo your Gma in law's observation. white men are the ####### worst at paying attention or giving a crap about people in need of the seat more than them (only slightly ahead of white women)

each time the wife was pregnant, I noticed it was usually black men- but yeah, also hispanic- who would routinely get up for her. my mom (81) has said the same thing.

but now that I think of it... chinese people aren't exactly winning any awards with this. hasid's either. both of those camps seem to me to be the most egregiously self-serving groups on public transit... they'll knock the pregnant woman or kid over so they can get a seat.

Thanks. Was going pretty strong, mind was slipping a bit but then she fell and broke her hip. Initially okay but the pain drove her into full on dementia and her body shut down quick. Same thing happened to my grandfather. Getting old sucks. 

UPDATE...a couple months back I asked about omakase suggestions for our anniversary on 6/7. A few people suggested 15 East and I made the reservation... 

I know what's gonna happen though...day of, she'll decide she's not in the mood for sushi and we're gonna end up at Strip House. Not a bad thing.
Of course, we did end up canceling...but for a different reason. About a week before, on Memorial Day in fact, we found out my wife was pregnant with our first.

Fast forward to today and she's 13+ weeks and everything is going great. Just got back from getting the 3D ultrasound which was nuts. All growth is normal, brain size normal, etc. Very lucky.

To loop this into NYC...a pregnant woman going through morning (actually all day) sickness while taking a bus/subway/walking around this stinking city in the summer...holy hell. I didn't think I was going to survive that week when it was like 97 degrees everyday. Feels like we're singlehandedly supporting Uber's $XX billion valuation. 

UPDATE...a couple months back I asked about omakase suggestions for our anniversary on 6/7. A few people suggested 15 East and I made the reservation... 

Of course, we did end up canceling...but for a different reason. About a week before, on Memorial Day in fact, we found out my wife was pregnant with our first.

Fast forward to today and she's 13+ weeks and everything is going great. Just got back from getting the 3D ultrasound which was nuts. All growth is normal, brain size normal, etc. Very lucky.

To loop this into NYC...a pregnant woman going through morning (actually all day) sickness while taking a bus/subway/walking around this stinking city in the summer...holy hell. I didn't think I was going to survive that week when it was like 97 degrees everyday. Feels like we're singlehandedly supporting Uber's $XX billion valuation. 
congrats!! awesome news... and having a baby here in NYC, as I'm sure you're already aware... is fantastic. sooo much right outside your door.  has she started nesting/re-arranging your apt/house yet? I forget where you live? sucks about the morning sickness (for both of you)... has she been a little... ummm... :loco:  ... besides that? any good hormone/pregancy crazy stories to share? :popcorn:

both of my kids were june babies, so the wife got really lucky not having to deal with being pregnant during the stinking hot july/august here. even then... I'm  :scared:   just remembering those days.

Congrats! 

congrats!! awesome news... and having a baby here in NYC, as I'm sure you're already aware... is fantastic. sooo much right outside your door.  has she started nesting/re-arranging your apt/house yet? I forget where you live? sucks about the morning sickness (for both of you)... has she been a little... ummm... :loco:  ... besides that? any good hormone/pregancy crazy stories to share? :popcorn:

both of my kids were june babies, so the wife got really lucky not having to deal with being pregnant during the stinking hot july/august here. even then... I'm  :scared:   just remembering those days.
Thanks guys. We're in Hoboken now, moved here about a year and a half ago after me being in the city for about 8 years. We have a 2 BR/2 BA with a parking spot in our building so all of that is helpful from that perspective. I had to sit down our two cats and explain to them that they'll be losing their room. Honestly, having their litter boxes/food out of that room and having to mix it into our normal living space will probably be a hard adjustment on its own. Anyway, we have a bunch of friends around us with babies or expecting, and Hoboken restaurants/bars are very stroller friendly. 

Hormone stories to share...how much time you got? I didn't know it was possible to be as wrong as I have been about opinions. But I have learned the power of saying "yeah, you're right". We have so much damn food in this place though because she'll say things like,  "I really want Cool Ranch Doritos" and I'll go and get them and by the time I get home she has no interest in them. I go to Shoprite probably every other day for random things that barely get eaten. Same thing with "I'm craving pad thai tonight". I have to stop feeling guilty about wasting food and just throwing it away instead of eating it myself. I'm gonna be a house by the time February rolls around if I keep this up. 

Thanks guys. We're in Hoboken now, moved here about a year and a half ago after me being in the city for about 8 years. We have a 2 BR/2 BA with a parking spot in our building so all of that is helpful from that perspective. I had to sit down our two cats and explain to them that they'll be losing their room. Honestly, having their litter boxes/food out of that room and having to mix it into our normal living space will probably be a hard adjustment on its own. Anyway, we have a bunch of friends around us with babies or expecting, and Hoboken restaurants/bars are very stroller friendly. 

I didn't know it was possible to be as wrong as I have been about opinions. But I have learned the power of saying "yeah, you're right". 
nailed it.

and re: the cats... we had two as well before ours were born. have to say, it's a profound tool for empathy having the cats around... the kids learned really fast that not being gentle had immediate consequences. funny too, watching both cats have to come to terms with not being the center of attention any more. one learned right way where the bread was being buttered, so spent all his time around the kids (and thus, us). the other- feh- didn't like all the noises and grabbing of tails, so made sure to keep his distance until he wanted something.

and re: the cats... we had two as well before ours were born. have to say, it's a profound tool for empathy having the cats around... the kids learned really fast that not being gentle had immediate consequences. funny too, watching both cats have to come to terms with not being the center of attention any more. one learned right way where the bread was being buttered, so spent all his time around the kids (and thus, us). the other- feh- didn't like all the noises and grabbing of tails, so made sure to keep his distance until he wanted something.
Yeah I can definitely see that happening. My only real concern is that one of our cats will jump up on and climb on anything and everything. We have 12 ft ceilings here and he ends up on top of our kitchen cabinets, about 10.5 feet high, pretty frequently. So part of me thinks he'll have no problem jumping into the bassinet/crib. 

I think you are going to like Hoboken as a young family with a baby.  Hoboken has a lot of people in the same boat as you guys and as a result a lot of businesses, schools and clubs/groups who cater to families with young children.

I think you are going to like Hoboken as a young family with a baby.  Hoboken has a lot of people in the same boat as you guys and as a result a lot of businesses, schools and clubs/groups who cater to families with young children.
Just having the beer garden and Pier 13 being baby friendly is helpful enough. Big/strong drinks :)

RC94 said:
It will never happen with my current company, but I would love to not work in midtown anymore.
It's better than working in the Financial District.  Still remember the day when my company moved from Wall St. to Midtown.  I felt blessed.   

Hormone stories to share...how much time you got? I didn't know it was possible to be as wrong as I have been about opinions. But I have learned the power of saying "yeah, you're right". We have so much damn food in this place though because she'll say things like,  "I really want Cool Ranch Doritos" and I'll go and get them and by the time I get home she has no interest in them. I go to Shoprite probably every other day for random things that barely get eaten. Same thing with "I'm craving pad thai tonight". I have to stop feeling guilty about wasting food and just throwing it away instead of eating it myself. I'm gonna be a house by the time February rolls around if I keep this up. 
whatever you do, and i can not stress this enough, never say anything is "fine"

i don't care if you're talking about mechanical pencils. don't ever use the word "fine" again for as long as you live.

Last edited by a moderator:
whatever you do, and i can not stress this enough, never say anything is "fine"

i don't care if you're talking about mechanical pencils. don't ever use the word "fine" again for as long as you live.
Learned that lesson after going with "tomorrow you'll be fine" somewhere around day 2 of her feeling nauseous. 

I will say... at a certain point, I blew up at her for not appreciating/respecting everything I was doing. there was pain, but for a few days she made a point of publicly commenting in front of friends about appreciating everything I was doing. a few days. a few glorious, life-saving days.

I've survived two New York babies and their pregnant mother. Barely.  The New York todlers may kill me though. 

As for uber I suggest linking a Starwoods reward card. The last pregnancy got me at least 5 nights on uber charges alone. 

We got two kittens when our first son was two. I agree with the positives of building empathy but the business side has been a disaster. We actually have a basement for the liter but we have been renovating on and off and the litter lives upstairs currently. That #### gets everywhere. And your wife isn't going to want to touch that #### while pregnant, so those are your cats now. And last but not least, they got ticked at us when we went in our uber points vacation and peed on our sofa. That is a rude way to come home and hard to deal with while two kids run around. So jury is out on the cats for me. 

I will say... at a certain point, I blew up at her for not appreciating/respecting everything I was doing. there was pain, but for a few days she made a point of publicly commenting in front of friends about appreciating everything I was doing. a few days. a few glorious, life-saving days.
i did this. my kids are 7 & 5. she's still pissed.

FWIW, this past week's weather was marvelous.  Not that I get out much right now recovering, but my couple of trips around town and a killer walk out my front door to the park and beach were just awesome. 

4 days in Manhattan with my family starting Sunday. Here is our schedule: 

1. Sunday- Central Park, 5th Avenue, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Rockefeller Plaza, possibly Lincoln center. Canal Street, dinner in Little Italy. 

2. Monday- Statue of Liberty tour, Ellis Island tour, World Trade Center, Empire State Building

3. Museum of Modern Art, Times Square, Les Miserables on Broadway

4. Greenwich Village, Soho, Hamilton on Broadway, dinner at Sardi's. 

1. Sunday- Central Park, 5th Avenue, St. Patrick's Cathedral, Rockefeller Plaza, possibly Lincoln center. Canal Street, dinner in Little Italy. 

2. Monday- Statue of Liberty tour, Ellis Island tour, World Trade Center, Empire State Building

How the f did you get Hamilton tickets?  

It's better than working in the Financial District.  Still remember the day when my company moved from Wall St. to Midtown.  I felt blessed.   
I have worked on Wall St and the World Financial Center and agree it's not a great place to work either, but I hate midtown more.  My commute was shorter to Wall St so that's part of it.

On Monday eat dinner at 2nd Avenue Deli (which is now on 33rd b/t Lexington and 3rd) - http://www.2ndavedeli.com/deli-locations/midtown-east/.  It's a short walk from the Empire State Building.

I will never understand the draw of Times Square.  Avoid.  Do something else.

Les Miserables is 4 blocks from one of my favorite restaurants - Churrascaria Plataforma (Brazilian Steakhouse) http://plataformaonline.com/

If you are in the West Village for lunch try The Spotted Pig - http://www.thespottedpig.com/#home .  Michelin star winning and another of my favorite restaurants.

On Monday eat dinner at 2nd Avenue Deli (which is now on 33rd b/t Lexington and 3rd) - http://www.2ndavedeli.com/deli-locations/midtown-east/.  It's a short walk from the Empire State Building.

I will never understand the draw of Times Square.  Avoid.  Do something else.

Les Miserables is 4 blocks from one of my favorite restaurants - Churrascaria Plataforma (Brazilian Steakhouse) http://plataformaonline.com/

If you are in the West Village for lunch try The Spotted Pig - http://www.thespottedpig.com/#home .  Michelin star winning and another of my favorite restaurants.
Thanks! 

She's extremely appreciative, which is helpful for keeping my sanity. But I could totally see myself blowing up if she wasn't. We get home around the same time from work and she's basically crashing so it's like I'm starting a second job the second I walk in the door. But she's usually sleeping by 9 these days so I value the hell out of that personal time.

RCs suggestions are good, especially if your kids are meat eaters for Plataforma. Do they have a discount for kids? It's a set price a head otherwise. Think last time I went it was $60ish for dinner. Just keep that in mind if your kids would only eat the salad bar (really much more than salad) otherwise. 

Honestly I don't know if there's anything better than those little sizzling cheese bites they bring around at one point. 

Also, I'd ditch Sardi's unless you're going just to go. Post a kind of food you're looking for and we can probably point you to another spot that's still pretty close to Times Square. 

She's extremely appreciative, which is helpful for keeping my sanity. But I could totally see myself blowing up if she wasn't. We get home around the same time from work and she's basically crashing so it's like I'm starting a second job the second I walk in the door. But she's usually sleeping by 9 these days so I value the hell out of that personal time.
good stuff... this was exactly what I didn't fully realize would completely disappear after the kids... .definitely have to continue to fight to carve it out for myself even now.

RCs suggestions are good, especially if your kids are meat eaters for Plataforma. Do they have a discount for kids? It's a set price a head otherwise. Think last time I went it was $60ish for dinner. Just keep that in mind if your kids would only eat the salad bar (really much more than salad) otherwise. 

Honestly I don't know if there's anything better than those little sizzling cheese bites they bring around at one point. 

Also, I'd ditch Sardi's unless you're going just to go. Post a kind of food you're looking for and we can probably point you to another spot that's still pretty close to Times Square. 
There are discounts for kids, depending on the child's age.  It's not an inexpensive restaurant but it's worth it once in a while.  Love those cheese rolls too. 

FWIW, I think the Empire State Building is one of, if not THE, best "touristy" option out there - caveat being you go when there's not some stupid huge line.  For one, the building itself represents so much in the City, and country's history.  Moreso, the view is pretty ####### amazing, you can see the entire City and gain a perspective (both geographically and metaphorically) on the City and beyond.

So.... if I were to look for an alcove studio or possibly a one bedroom in the city, what am I looking at price wise for someplace decent? North of 3k a month, or can it be done for less? For a one bedroom, we pushing $3,500? I honestly have no ####### idea of the Manhattan rental market in terms of specifics now that most folks have aged out to the burbs or are in BK. 

Flexible as to the neighborhood, but let's assume its at least a good area and probably West Side or other easy access to Penn since I would need to be back to Long Island and Amtrak up/down the corridor often.  

FWIW, I think the Empire State Building is one of, if not THE, best "touristy" option out there - caveat being you go when there's not some stupid huge line.  For one, the building itself represents so much in the City, and country's history.  Moreso, the view is pretty ####### amazing, you can see the entire City and gain a perspective (both geographically and metaphorically) on the City and beyond.
I enjoyed the Empire State Building. The best part is it's outside. And I went in December when it was snowing.

Users who are viewing this thread