What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Trump Years- Every day something more shocking than the last! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oof...so hard for me to keep quiet in situations like that.  Nicely done.  I'd have to put in a subtle dig at the end saying something like the FBI isn't the liberal media...but I can't help myself.
He knows I'm kinda conservative and also a Christian so it's just not worth it (in a business context) to go down that road. 

What's your retirement timeline?
Inside of 12 years.  No debt.  $500,000 house paid off.  1.5 million in mostly stocks, 90%, all in a 401 and a 457. $100,000 in a Roth.  Owner of a quarter section (160 acres) dairy farm in Wisconsin being eyed by Commercial developers, its the first property off of an Interstate exit. A small pension, $168 per month for my lifetime and the lifetime of any extant life I designate before death, right now a 14 year old.

It'd be interesting to discuss with people how they determine whether a news source is very biased or not.

I did an exercise, taking the headlines from major MSM outlets and outlets on the right, and it was pretty compelling to me that those on the right used more biased language than many MSM sources.  It's just interesting for me to hear so many conservatives quote Breitbart and infowars and even RT or project veritas in one breath, and in the next denounce fake news or liberal bias in the next.

Wish we could have a legitimate conversation about how to assess how biased a news source is, whether you agree with that bias or not.
It's difficult to assess although there have been a few studies.  What constitutes "so many" conservatives?  I see Huffington Post and Mother Jones quoted on occasion.  How many liberals believe the majority of that tripe?  I really don't know, hence I'm not going to throw them all under the same biased umbrella.

The only way to get a real look at what's going on is to use a variety of news sources.  Even then individual bias is going to make a big impact, but at least you are seeing different viewpoints.

I don't think most people are naturally curious or intellectually honest enough to do that though.  It's easier to latch on to social media and validate oneself.

If the IC really has our backs, why not just dump everything at once?  
In my estimation, to protect sources and methods.  I think the leaks are calculated to "let them know that we know" and to either spur the transgressors into an action or spur other investigators (journalists or Congressional Committees) into an action.  No need to whip out everything you have at once.

What's your retirement timeline?
Inside of 12 years.  No debt.  $500,000 house paid off.  1.5 million in mostly stocks, 90%, all in a 401 and a 457. $100,000 in a Roth.  Owner of a quarter section (160 acres) dairy farm in Wisconsin being eyed by Commercial developers, its the first property off of an Interstate exit. A small pension, $168 per month for my lifetime and the lifetime of any extant life I designate before death, right now a 14 year old.
Seems like you're far enough out to weather short term fluctuations in the market over the next 4-8 years, but seems like your assets are overwhelmingly in the stock market...seems like if you're 12 years or less out from retirement you should start moving to more predictable options.  Bet you get better advice in another thread or forum though...bogleheads forum is a great place to get advice on portfolio allocation, tax options and other great suggestions from really well informed folks.  

It'd be interesting to discuss with people how they determine whether a news source is very biased or not.

I did an exercise, taking the headlines from major MSM outlets and outlets on the right, and it was pretty compelling to me that those on the right used more biased language than many MSM sources.  It's just interesting for me to hear so many conservatives quote Breitbart and infowars and even RT or project veritas in one breath, and in the next denounce fake news or liberal bias in the next.

Wish we could have a legitimate conversation about how to assess how biased a news source is, whether you agree with that bias or not.
It's difficult to assess although there have been a few studies.  What constitutes "so many" conservatives?  I see Huffington Post and Mother Jones quoted on occasion.  How many liberals believe the majority of that tripe?  I really don't know, hence I'm not going to throw them all under the same biased umbrella.

The only way to get a real look at what's going on is to use a variety of news sources.  Even then individual bias is going to make a big impact, but at least you are seeing different viewpoints.

I don't think most people are naturally curious or intellectually honest enough to do that though.  It's easier to latch on to social media and validate oneself.
I agree, which is a shame.  

Wish there were a few good rules of thumb one could use to determine how biased a source is, that a person can do on their own.

And BTW- there is nothing wrong with campaign officials or the candidate himself or herself meeting with foreign leaders. The issue here is that Trump's campaign officials were apparently in constant contact with Russian INTELLIGENCE guys, who were trying to subvert the election. Not the same thing at all, and far more serious and suspicious.

Putin also wanted to undermine faith in our democracy...everyone seems to be winning but the american people.
meh....anyone that's losing faith in our democracy isn't paying attention IMO.
Tons of folks in our country have questions about the system, and trump is engaging in systematic smearing of the media and the intelligence community and the judiciary.  Our reputation and our institutions are taking hits for sure, but they're strong enough to come through and move on from this dark time.

Seems like you're far enough out to weather short term fluctuations in the market over the next 4-8 years, but seems like your assets are overwhelmingly in the stock market...seems like if you're 12 years or less out from retirement you should start moving to more predictable options.  Bet you get better advice in another thread or forum though...bogleheads forum is a great place to get advice on portfolio allocation, tax options and other great suggestions from really well informed folks.  
Thanks for the advice, I'll take a peak in over there.  As for weathering storms, I'd just as soon move to where the climate suits my cloths. I don't want to weather, I want to look around and say I got out at just the right time.  Absent that I want out early rather than late.  Given that this is my risk tolerance now maybe I should just get the hell out now. 

Anyhow, back to the Orange Don.  That sounds like a good title for Mario Puzo's next book.

Last edited by a moderator:
Russians asked Flynn about sanctions. The horror! Ted Kennedy asked Russians to help defeat Reagan. That's Cool!...
- Coulter.

- I do think that's an interesting episode, but there are some key differences - no evidence of trading policy for help in the election, no evidence it ever came off, and needless to say did not involve someone in the highest intelligence tier in the land.

- eta - It probably also shows you how aggressive and reckless Putin is that Brezhnev might have looked at such a proposal said no it's too dangerous and not smart.

Campaign staff meeting with foreign diplomats is not at all unusual, as I believe either the NY Times or CNN story says, and this attempt at false equivalence is pathetic. 

What makes Trump/Russia meetings a story is:

1. The frequency of meetings and other communications (CNN described it as "constant" contact)

2. Meeting/communicating with Russian intelligence officials.

3. Lying about those meetings/communications.

4. We have proof that Russia intervened in the election, and all indications are that they did so to benefit Trump.

5. The dossier suggesting the possible existence of Kompromat on Trump.

6. The Trump campaign/administration's stunning attitude towards Russia, which has been somewhere between an already radical "live and let live" and full on "schoolgirl crush on boy band" for over a year now.

Any one of these things sends up enough smoke to warrant further attention.  Taken together they're the pretty much the Chicago Fire. I honestly don't know how people aren't seeing that, no matter how much they love Trump.  Denial is a powerful thing, I guess.

The NYT was throwing fake Twitter quotes into their stories just today.  

There is clearly a big difference between the NYT/WSJ and Breitbart/Mother Jones, but the mainstream media isn't the pillar of integrity it once was.  The need for a 24 hr news cycle has led to really sloppy reporting and a trend towards using unverified social media as a legitimate source.  The erosion in public trust is largely deserved.
Can you link a few of those stories?

- Coulter.

- I do think that's an interesting episode, but there are some key differences - no evidence of trading policy for help in the election, no evidence it ever came off, and needless to say did not involve someone in the highest intelligence tier in the land.
They love their false equivalencies huh? 

Bill O'Reilly‏ @oreillyfactor

Pelosi fooled big-time by fake 'scapegoat' tweet

this is is much cleaner tim . Much cleaner . You are clearly trolling
The nice thing about this issue is that Pelosi clearly cares about the truth, and is bothered that this happened.

Apparently the NYT also covered the fake tweet, and issued a correction.

However, when the president of the USA says things that are untrue, he simply doubles down and continues spreading the lie.  He has no shame, no relationship with the truth to be embarrassed about.  Pelosi cares, the NYT cares, Trump doesn't.  

It's certainly embarrassing for both camps to be caught looking foolish, but at least they care enough to look foolish...Trump and team just slap "alternate fact" on it and go forward.  In fact, if Trump would've said this I'm sure KAC or Spicer would've come out and said that this is clearly what Flynn thought and that's what Trump was reacting to and the reaction is authentic even if the tweets were not...and that's the story you should be printing...not that a fake account put out bogus info that was covered by the MSM!

They love their false equivalencies huh? 
I guess. It's always surprising to me that dredging such examples up and hashing them out almost never results in further discussion. That's the water's edge. Coulter says X, and oh ok I guess that's it, no need for further thought or research. That's the part I don't get.

Here's something I think Coulter has said which is interesting: the 1965 INA was a major policy change and goes totally underestimated in terms of its effect on this country.

Great, I agree. That does not lead to: ok let's cancel all the Green Card and LPR statuses for the mideast and put up a wall.

Let's enforce the law. Yep, I agree. That does not lead to: ok let's arrest every illegal immigrant in the country and ship them out regardless of the hell and discord it causes not to mention damage to our economy and you know other "stuff".

some time ago someone posted some sort of database that let you search all of Trumps quotes - twitter, etc.  anyone know where that is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread