What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2017 World Baseball Classic Thread (1 Viewer)

I continue to enjoy the games and enjoy rooting for the USA.  I can see why some would be upset and not take the tournament seriously, but I think the complaints are a bit overdone, and also well publicized at this point.  Can't really fault people for not watching, but I've enjoyed the tournament so far. 

Excited for the game tonight. USA, USA

Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno man, why don't you discuss the fact that MLB couldn't find a network to show the games so they had to themselves? Or why there was talk of shutting this thing down after this year? I mean, you tell me we are here to discuss our takes on baseball yet you actively jump down my throat anytime I talk about it here. Kind of hypocritical no?

Even the stats you posted aren't great. You're pointing to an average of 27k fans in Miami as a plus??

As for not being that guy, seems like a lot of people here appreciate my posts, even if not necessarily on baseball, and even if you don't.

Anyways, I'm off to go to the basketball games with my wife. You stay bitter on the internet about a contrarian opinion to yours. 
Because none of that is based in March 2017 reality...? Or do you have some credible links to the contrary? I'd be glad to read and discuss.

"The WBC will be broadcast in 182 countries," Manfred said in Tokyo. "This will be a $100 million event over this brief less than two-week period. From Day 1, while it was a profitable event from the beginning, it has really grown in terms of its revenue significance and it's popularity around the world."
This event is still very much in its infancy. It's the 4th edition of something that was literally contrived out of thin air a little over a decade ago. It has a great concept and could be a wonderful global celebration of a game that most of us love around here. I just can't understand why people seemingly want to see it fail.

The stats I posted aren't great? From a business growth perspective, I just don't know how you can say that with a straight face. Show me another sporting event that is doing that kind of attendance in its 4th iteration. Selling tickets to live sports is hard these days, so growing attendance from 2013 to 2017 at the rate at which this event did is worth noting, IMO. Certainly not the sign of an event on the decline. This mixed bag of exhibition games in Miami drew 27% more than the average MLB game in that stadium last season. Draw your own conclusion.

I have no idea why that last statement is there. To try to make me feel inferior? I'm not bitter about anything, brah. All I've said all along is... you're overly negative about this, and you're wrong about most of it. :shrug:

:towelwave:  Another great game!

PR by the way has about 60% of the 'Locker Room' WBC Champ tee orders, but I expect a US bump now.

MLB network is awesome. I don't think that they televise it should be held as a knock against the classic. 
My point has nothing to do with the quality of MLBN which is great. What I meant is that sports leagues are in the business of selling their rights for fees. Espn paid 7-9M for the rights to the World Cup of Hockey. There would be no reason for MLB to keep this in-house on their network unless nobody wanted to purchase the rights, or at least at a price that they thought was appropriate. 

My point has nothing to do with the quality of MLBN which is great. What I meant is that sports leagues are in the business of selling their rights for fees. Espn paid 7-9M for the rights to the World Cup of Hockey. There would be no reason for MLB to keep this in-house on their network unless nobody wanted to purchase the rights, or at least at a price that they thought was appropriate. 
I don't know. Maybe they think it's a good way to promote their game and network by keeping it in house. Same reason nfl network broadcasts Thursday night games no?

I don't know. Maybe they think it's a good way to promote their game and network by keeping it in house. Same reason nfl network broadcasts Thursday night games no?
NFLN has way more homes though I believe. I was in a hotel last night and they didn't carry MLBN, but they did have the NFL. I can't imagine they did that on purpose, but maybe? 

I was told MLB didn't offer it out.
Sorry, that doesn't make any sense.  The most recent numbers I found shows espn in 92M homes, FS1 in 84M and MLBN in 68 (I am sure this has changed some, it looks a little old). Why wouldn't they want one of their premier events in front of as many eyeballs as possible? They just decided not to make money off this and have it shown to 25M less people?

Capella said:
Sorry, that doesn't make any sense.  The most recent numbers I found shows espn in 92M homes, FS1 in 84M and MLBN in 68 (I am sure this has changed some, it looks a little old). Why wouldn't they want one of their premier events in front of as many eyeballs as possible? They just decided not to make money off this and have it shown to 25M less people?
I don't disagree...maybe like Shady said they're trying to bring new people in...I don't think they forecasted it to be this successful either, including in-stadium where concessions were under-planned and created a lot of issues.

I don't disagree...maybe like Shady said they're trying to bring new people in...I don't think they forecasted it to be this successful either, including in-stadium where concessions were under-planned and created a lot of issues.
Well it will be interesting to see what happens in the future. 

I was hoping to see archer pitch this week. Sucks he got bumped. 

It gives MLB 200 hours or so of live programming.  The other sports networks are committed to a ton of basketball in March. 

It gives MLB 200 hours or so of live programming.  The other sports networks are committed to a ton of basketball in March. 
Exactly. MLB is trying to build the brand and March Madness is an established product, they are already locked into.

Having the Championship M-W with USA and Japan is a great opportunity and growth, they are at least 12 years away from establishing the presence to compete with R1 Mrach Madness.

ANd this is like a wonderful huge commercial for MLB/baseball, there will be some carryover of folks wanting to see more of the WBC players and a lot of them will be playing on MLB all season.

Exactly. MLB is trying to build the brand and March Madness is an established product, they are already locked into.

Having the Championship M-W with USA and Japan is a great opportunity and growth, they are at least 12 years away from establishing the presence to compete with R1 Mrach Madness.

ANd this is like a wonderful huge commercial for MLB/baseball, there will be some carryover of folks wanting to see more of the WBC players and a lot of them will be playing on MLB all season.
I'm kind of tired of this topic but come on man. This thing is never gonna compete with the NCAA tournament. That's just stilly. 

The NED-PR semi has had a little bit of everything but the pace is brutally slow.  We're over two hours past first pitch and it's still the bottom of the 5th.  That's fine for people at the ballpark but it makes bad TV since it's almost 11:30 on the East Coast.   I guess since it's affecting the WBC, it's a global issue now.

I understand having the extra innings rule in this tournament but the 11th was anticlimactic after all that had proceeded it.  Both half innings started with a sacrifice and intentional walk to load the bases with one out.  I guess that's sound strategy in this format but those aren't the most exciting plays in the game.  Diaz induced the GIDP for Holland but Puerto Rico got a sac fly for the walk off.

Great game.  Regardless of how the general public receives it, the tournament obviously means a lot to the players.

I understand having the extra innings rule in this tournament but the 11th was anticlimactic after all that had proceeded it.  Both half innings started with a sacrifice and intentional walk to load the bases with one out.  I guess that's sound strategy in this format but those aren't the most exciting plays in the game.  Diaz induced the GIDP for Holland but Puerto Rico got a sac fly for the walk off.

Great game.  Regardless of how the general public receives it, the tournament obviously means a lot to the players.
Sad day as WBC lost Tim Flannery's viewership

The NED-PR semi has had a little bit of everything but the pace is brutally slow.  We're over two hours past first pitch and it's still the bottom of the 5th.  That's fine for people at the ballpark but it makes bad TV since it's almost 11:30 on the East Coast.   I guess since it's affecting the WBC, it's a global issue now.
I turned it off around the time of this post for this reason. It was going late and it was really dragging, even in a good, tight game.

Joe Sheehan with an interesting idea in his newsletter today that I've heard elsewhere as well.  Have the initial pools like they are now, but play a final 8 single elim bracket during the current All Star Break.  Would have to expand the break a couple days, but I think this is an intriguing idea.  You'd likely get the best of the best from all of the final 8 in mid-season form.

Joe Sheehan with an interesting idea in his newsletter today that I've heard elsewhere as well.  Have the initial pools like they are now, but play a final 8 single elim bracket during the current All Star Break.  Would have to expand the break a couple days, but I think this is an intriguing idea.  You'd likely get the best of the best from all of the final 8 in mid-season form.
Wouldn't there be risk of injury, especially for those teams "in the hunt" for the post season?  I've already heard of teams worrying about pre-season injuries with the WBC.  Why would clubs allow their "star" players to play in this over the ASB?  It doesn't make sense.  I like the appeal, and agree it would provide good tv, but I just don't see teams/players all jumping in for this in the middle of the season.

Wouldn't there be risk of injury, especially for those teams "in the hunt" for the post season?  I've already heard of teams worrying about pre-season injuries with the WBC.  Why would clubs allow their "star" players to play in this over the ASB?  It doesn't make sense.  I like the appeal, and agree it would provide good tv, but I just don't see teams/players all jumping in for this in the middle of the season.
Less risk than now when they have to ramp up early and perform in high-pressure situations sooner than normal.

the baseball season is a 'grind'. i'm guessing most players want that ASB to relax and prepare to stand around for 3 hours a day for another 81 games.

I'm at lunch w/ nothing better to do so I checked the dates of the NPB and KBO all-star games.  They're also held in mid-July but about a week following MLB's game.  NPB plays a two game series on Fri-Sat in two different ballparks.  The Asian players would probably need two travel/acclimatization days on either ends of the games. 

And Capella would complain about conflicts with the Espys. 

I'm not in until I know whether or not ESPN 8: The Ocho is willing to carry it in July. That way I know whether it's successful or not.

I'm not in until I know whether or not ESPN 8: The Ocho is willing to carry it in July. That way I know whether it's successful or not.
More people watched the NIT game Saturday at 11 am than watched the USA-DR game

Users who are viewing this thread