What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (2 Viewers)

We just finished watching it again. Still holds up well and is probably underrated as far as all time greats. When we watched it while it was first on I remember the quality dropping off the last few seasons but on rewatch it was really only the last season that showed a real decline. Still just a great show

They were clearly setting up a Dwight spin-off in the last season. What ever happened to that?  It looked like it could have been good. The main guy from Silicon Valley played his brother.

Added to queue. 
I'm honestly astonished Amazon picked this up. It's like a bad- horrifically bad- student short. Except it's long. And it's not "fun/campy" bad... there is no fun here. Nothing happens. And again, the dialogue is written as if the writer has never actually had conversation with a real human being before... words are spoken, but without intent, meaning direction, or any sense. Definitely student film, but to call it sophomoric does an injustice to any wisdom fools out there might have. There is none here. Like a vanity piece by a non interesting and entirely untalented asberger kid. I've seen some terrible movies (dungeons and dragons, the sixth man)... but this is without a doubt the worst movie I've ever seen. 

Eta... And made worse because of the inexplicable comparison to the fantastic Let the Right One In. It's as if a hardware store decided to serve food and put a bunch of nails on a plate, spray painted then yellow and called it a curry. 

Eta2- the spray painted nails are waaaaaaay more interesting than this film.

Last edited by a moderator:
We just finished watching it again. Still holds up well and is probably underrated as far as all time greats. When we watched it while it was first on I remember the quality dropping off the last few seasons but on rewatch it was really only the last season that showed a real decline. Still just a great show

They were clearly setting up a Dwight spin-off in the last season. What ever happened to that?  It looked like it could have been good. The main guy from Silicon Valley played his brother.
My favorite scene: 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9yslB3BkDm8

Honorable mention: 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HuGIgf-ICHM

Favorite character: Kevin

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5YFcBgzRSR8

Runner up: Michael

Honorable mentions:

Creed (needed more lines)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FPyp2I3wYv0

Andy - Roo Doo Doo https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_KiNA-wWVjQ

Erin and Clark

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qUOAGdYLFs0    sorry for poor quality, funny scene!

I didn't care for the Spader episodes. I didn't care for anytime they had a music montage. Overall it is my favorite sitcom with King of Queens a #2. When I get done with my 4th time through, I am certain I will begin my 5th time.

I didn't care for the Spader episodes. I didn't care for anytime they had a music montage. Overall it is my favorite sitcom with King of Queens a #2. When I get done with my 4th time through, I am certain I will begin my 5th time.
We watched them on repeats for years but this was the first rewatch from the beginning. I actually really liked Robert California but didn't like any of the music montages either.

Anyone into Park's and Rec? I have tried it two different times and never have gotten beyond the third episode. I read somewhere that it picks up in season 2 and becomes very good. Agree?

my lady and i are watching breaking bad and it is pretty good so far we just got in to season 2 if you have not heard of it i recommend it and give it 5 swcs take that to the bank bromigos 

Beef Ravioli said:
Anyone into Park's and Rec? I have tried it two different times and never have gotten beyond the third episode. I read somewhere that it picks up in season 2 and becomes very good. Agree?
Yes

Beef Ravioli said:
Just skip right to season 2.  Seriously, they changed basically everything about it. You won't miss anything.

Glengarry Glen Ross is on Netflix (not sure how long it's been there)

If you haven't seen it, it's must watch IMO.
If you have seen it, it's great to watch again with a few fingers of bourbon.

My favorite scene: 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9yslB3BkDm8

Honorable mention: 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HuGIgf-ICHM

Favorite character: Kevin

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5YFcBgzRSR8

Runner up: Michael

Honorable mentions:

Creed (needed more lines)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FPyp2I3wYv0

Andy - Roo Doo Doo https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_KiNA-wWVjQ

Erin and Clark

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qUOAGdYLFs0    sorry for poor quality, funny scene!

The Fire Drill scene is probably the best but this is right up there

CPR Training: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JjGvfunBkQ (need to dig for the whole scene where Dwight cuts the face off of the mask)

Best episode is Sexual Harassment

Probably seen this entire series all the way through 6 or 7 times...

If you haven't seen it - this final table read for the last episode is fantastic.  This is a must watch if you love The Office: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hAUW6cgBcko  @Beef Ravioli have you seen this?  Be prepared for things to get a little dusty too

ok... I'm a fan of The 100 (which just had it's season premiere last night!), so have fallen hook-line and stinker for The Magicians. original it ain't- while watching, I can hear them screaming the pitch to the network... "IT'S HARRY POTTER, BUT THEY'RE IN GRADSCHOOL AND BONE!!1!!" plus Lion witch and wardrobe for an extra touch. nobody will notice the hot blonde chick with giant cans.. because she's wearing glasses! but it's well enough written that I still find myself enjoying it more than I probably should (the wife has bailed, loudly trumpeting how cliche and idiotic it is).
The Magicians has become my favorite show.  The hot babes, interesting stories, cussing, boning, this show keeps me interested and looking forward to the next episode.

Big Fan 

I really like Iron Fist. 2 more episodes to go though. I will say, however, I think each of the marvel shows has had weak second halves of seasons. DD is the most consistent. 

Finished "The Crown" the other night. It ended with a string of very good episodes. Overall the critique that Elizabeth is the most boring character of a show with her at the center is pretty apt. It's still interesting, really well done, and fun in a gossip-y way without being entirely overwrought. 

jdoggydogg said:
I think it's the funniest network comedy in recent years by a huge margin.
Is it really that much of a difference in Season 2? Did people who liked the show like Season 1 as well? Because we couldn't make it through the first season and never went back to it.

Is it really that much of a difference in Season 2? Did people who liked the show like Season 1 as well? Because we couldn't make it through the first season and never went back to it.
I watched the series as it taped on my DVR, so I can't remember why people don't like season 2.

I watched the series as it taped on my DVR, so I can't remember why people don't like season 2.
I think what people are saying is that it improved dramatically from the first to the second. The same, I think, can be said for the US version of The Office. I remember giving up on that during the first season but trying again when season 2 started and was glad I did. But to be fair, I gave up because I was a bit biased because of how much I loved the UK version and felt the new one paled in comparison, especially since they were doing exact versions in the first season.

Lovesick - a cheeky little British comedy about a dude who has to go back and tell everyone he slept with that he has chlamydia. 

Night and day, buddy. Like I said before, they revamped the whole thing after S1--which was only 6 episode anyway.

And like all great shows, it keeps getting better as it goes.

Anyone watching 13 reasons why?  It's a new direct to Netflix show, and my wife wouldn't stop talking about it so I watched episode 1 last night.  Good enough to get me to agree to episode 2 this evening.

If you like Louis CK I know there's no way I can stop you from watching it, but his new standup (2017) is brutal.  If you're on the fence, save the hour.

I'm no daisy when it comes to abortion jokes (Daniel Tosh has had me rolling  :lmao: :lmao: with some of his abortion material) but CK's way-too-long bit about equating abortion to taking a crap was just a lifeless exercise.  Trying to be shocking just for sake of being shocking.

I am a YUGE Louis fan who's looking forward to his next special, but this one was no bueno.

If you like Louis CK I know there's no way I can stop you from watching it, but his new standup (2017) is brutal.  If you're on the fence, save the hour.

I'm no daisy when it comes to abortion jokes (Daniel Tosh has had me rolling  :lmao: :lmao: with some of his abortion material) but CK's way-too-long bit about equating abortion to taking a crap was just a lifeless exercise.  Trying to be shocking just for sake of being shocking.

I am a YUGE Louis fan who's looking forward to his next special, but this one was no bueno.
almost everyone I know loves Louis CK but I just can't get into him. Tried watching his show several times and a few stand up routines but no go. 

I caught this last night and I have to agree.

The whole 9/11 bit about nine elevens was just cringe-worthy

almost everyone I know loves Louis CK but I just can't get into him. Tried watching his show several times and a few stand up routines but no go. 
There's a part of me that digs 'uncomfortable' humor (Tosh is a perfect example, Jeselnik too), but it has to be funny.

Louis and I are about the same age, so some of his stuff hits home with me a little more.

There's a part of me that digs 'uncomfortable' humor (Tosh is a perfect example, Jeselnik too), but it has to be funny.

Louis and I are about the same age, so some of his stuff hits home with me a little more.
He was only born a few months before me (I just looked). Fan of Chris Rock, Gaffigan, Jim Jefferies,Tosh, Jeselnik, Patton Oswalt, Sarah Silverman and Mitch Hedberg back in the day but just can't get into LCK.

Yeah.  I couldn't last 3 minutes through that opener.  Just horrendously unfunny for him 

Not sure if you're referring to the Ricky Gervais show here but I think it's absolutely hysterical.  I'm disappointed there are only two seasons of it on Netflix.  
Extras was awesome. Gervais fans should check out Life's Too Short. Gervais is all over that short HBO comedy. And while you're at it, Stephen Merchant's Hello Ladies is another good HBO comedy that is very much in that Gervais style. 

I think what people are saying is that it improved dramatically from the first to the second. The same, I think, can be said for the US version of The Office. I remember giving up on that during the first season but trying again when season 2 started and was glad I did. But to be fair, I gave up because I was a bit biased because of how much I loved the UK version and felt the new one paled in comparison, especially since they were doing exact versions in the first season.
My brother in law refuses to watch the American version of The Office. I think he's nuts. Loved the British iteration, but when the American Office was at its peak, it was one of the funniest shows on TV.

The opposite of this. I loved it.

jdoggydogg said:
Extras was awesome. Gervais fans should check out Life's Too Short. Gervais is all over that short HBO comedy. And while you're at it, Stephen Merchant's Hello Ladies is another good HBO comedy that is very much in that Gervais style. 

Just binged Extras.  Loved it.  I think the unsung hero in the series was Merchant.  He stole almost every scene he's in.  

Ren Ho3k said:
Not sure if you're referring to the Ricky Gervais show here but I think it's absolutely hysterical.  I'm disappointed there are only two seasons of it on Netflix.  
Those were basically animated retellings of the eponymous podcast. If you liked The Ricky Gervais Show on HBO you must go find the podcasts. You'll have to pay for them but they are worth every penny. 

Yes to your first question, no to the second. If I recall correctly season 1 took place during the writer's strike. Season 2 is much, much better. The show really hits its stride towards the end of season 2, and when Adam Scott and Rob Lowe become series regulars in season 3 it becomes an all-time great show. If you like TV you gotta watch Parks and Rec. 

I would recommend picking up the action at Season 2, Episode 23, "The Master Plan".  It's almost a reboot for the show, the introduction of two pivotal characters who play big roles the rest of the way.  S2 E23-24 are pretty much a two-part cliffhanger setting up the next season.  If you're not hooked by Season 3, Episode 7, the show truly isn't for you.

matttyl said:
Anyone watching 13 reasons why?  It's a new direct to Netflix show, and my wife wouldn't stop talking about it so I watched episode 1 last night.  Good enough to get me to agree to episode 2 this evening.
I've seen the whole series.  Thought it was fantastic.  The premise does require some suspension of disbelief (in the book the series is based on, Clay listens to all the tapes in one night) but packed within it are some of the most honest depictions of high school life I've ever seen on screen.  

Users who are viewing this thread