What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

ESPN Article on Brady & Kraft Sabotaging the Future for Brady's Ego (2 Viewers)

Vinnie Paz was just on the local news here in RI this week. He was arrested because he showed up at an apartment in Providence at 1am and got into a fight with a guy over money. They showed him on the news with two black eyes, he looked rough.
I don't think that's the Vinnie Paz he was talking about...

Belichick isn’t going anywhere.  Certainly not to a team like the Giants who have a GM. Why go to a situation with LESS control than he has right now? Makes zero sense if you know anything about BB.

http://www.pressdemocrat.com/sports/7837018-181/barber-franchise-tag-just-fine?artslide=0

So if Jimmy GQ plays under the franchise tag for 2 years like Kirk Cousins, then he's free to sign with the Patriots in 2020 (Brady's contract is over by then, and they have $145 million in cap space)...

https://overthecap.com/calculator/new-england-patriots/
No way is this happening. 

I don't see him playing under the franchise tag next year.  I don't think either side is interested in that.  This screams long term deal in SF if I've ever seen one. 

Crazy story to break right before the playoffs start. I don't have much analysis to add, my take on it has already been said many times by others. 

But as far as the notion of Brady looking like he is in decline, despite back to back MVP seasons (perhaps) and metrics that would suggest otherwise, I would argue that I have seen the same signs on video that worry others, too. But he is smarter and more experienced than ever. And it's not like his arm has fallen off. The stuff I see, like very inaccurate throws, could be nothing more than a midseason slump, which is just as likely to occur with a younger guy. So I do agree that he is declining a little, but so far his physical decline is far outweighed by his increased mental dominance of the game. Will he fall off a cliff like Manning did? That's still a very fair question. I always wondered how much of an impact that neck injury may have played in reaching that cliff for PM.

Last edited by a moderator:
Belichick isn’t going anywhere.  Certainly not to a team like the Giants who have a GM. Why go to a situation with LESS control than he has right now? Makes zero sense if you know anything about BB.
While nobody knows for sure regarding Belichick’s contract situation most people believe he is signed for at least a couple more years. If that is true, he can’t go anywhere unless Kraft signs off on it and there is zero chance he would allow him to go to another team.

I don't think that's the Vinnie Paz he was talking about...
No, I was thinking of Vinnie Paz from Jedi Mind Tricks. I'm not a boxing guy. Funny how a bad reference can stir up some good conversation, though.  

Really, though, I was thinking of Zack from Rage and Inside Out.  

As for the article, it's amazing how deep Guerrero got into Brady. Whoa. I even heard a neighbor the other day talking about the TB12 method. I didn't have the heart to interrupt the conversation and tell them that Guerrero is a quack.  

Crazy story to break right before the playoffs start. I don't have much analysis to add, my take on it has already been said many times by others. 

But as far as the notion of Brady looking like he is in decline, despite back to back MVP seasons (perhaps) and metrics that would suggest otherwise, I would argue that I have seen the same signs on video that worry others, too. But he is smarter and more experienced than ever. And it's not like his arm has fallen off. The stuff I see, like very inaccurate throws, could be nothing more than a midseason slump, which is just as likely to occur with a younger guy. So I do agree that he is declining a little, but so far his physical decline is far outweighed by his increased mental dominance of the game. Will he fall off a cliff like Manning did? That's still a very fair question. I always wondered how much of an impact that neck injury may have played in reaching that cliff for PM.
That neck injury was crazy. I think that was the cliff. I don't see Brady falling off like that. Peyton lost all of the arm strength he had had prior to the injury.  

I guess people can disagree what is a success and what is a failure is. BB inherited a 3-13 team that ranked 27th in points scored and 28th in points allowed. In a few years, he got them to the playoffs with an 11-5 record and ranked 11th in scoring and 1st in points allowed. They went from a -234 point differential to a +136 point differential, a scoring swing of 370 points. The reconstituted Browns have had two winning seasons and one playoff appearance (since 1999) with a combined 88-216 record (.289). So sure, if every year is graded on a pass / fail basis on winning the Super Bowl or not, then BB failed in his time in CLE.
What kind of years did he have in Cleveland after that one playoff appearance?
4-4 before Modell sabotaged the team by announcing the pending move to Baltimore.

Kraft told King that, prior to Monday, October 30, the last internal discussion about Garoppolo’s status happened in June.

“That is the last time I talked to Bill about it,” Kraft said. “I assumed once the season started, we’d talk again at the end of the season about it. The next time I spoke with Bill about it was the Monday before the trade deadline. He called me on that Monday and said he got a deal with San Francisco, Jimmy for a second-round pick and [quarterback] Brian Hoyer. Turns out they had to cut Hoyer and then we got him. But really, this was basically a second-round pick and Brian Hoyer for Jimmy. Bill asked me if I was OK with this. I was really taken aback a little bit. I wanted to think about it. I talked to [Patriots president] Jonathan [Kraft], who was OK with it, and I called Bill back and said, ‘OK.'”

Robert Kraft also said that he “absolutely” believes Belichick will return in 2018.

Tom Brady, to Westwood One sports, on how much of a distraction it will be hearing questions about media reports: "Along with winning and great success comes a lot of things. I think for a long time we've done a great job of winning games and it forces people to be creative with what they talk about and the things they write and the things they may speculate on. Diagnosing football plays doesn't get the attention that some of these other things might. So speculating on relationships, or what my feelings are towards my team or my organization, or players or coaches, I can only speak for myself. And really, my relationships with everybody that I deal with, I feel are so positive. To think any differently of that is complete nonsense. So I love the fact where we're at as a team. I want my focus and energy to be where it needs to be, which is on the biggest game of the year. That's what I know I'll personally accomplish, and I know that's going to be a big goal for our team this week, too."

This entire fabricated story really is impressive and shows the depths BB will go to motivate the team to win.  No other coach could think of this stuff.

JuniorNB said:
I can't see Belichick doing that. He could greatly diminished his legendary status by going there. He's been very fortunate to have Tom Brady most of his career. Check out his record without him. Going into the NFC East without Brady, and facing two of the best young quarterbacks in the game in Wentz and Prescott?  I just don't see him doing that. If he comes out of there with a few 7-9 seasons, it will put a huge asterisk on his genius
Remember when Vince Lombardi coached the Redskins... ya, no does anyone else.

Dr. Octopus said:
In football coaching is way more important than in other sports. 

Bellichick hardly failed in Cleveland. He had them in the playoffs. He was 11-5 during the season Brady missed and 3-1 in 2016 without Brady. Of course having Brady is a large part of his success, but he’s a great coach.
Agreed, neither BB or TB has the success they have had without the other.

Not only did BB not fail in Cle, imho the work and decisions he made in Cle were instrumental in building the foundation for the Ravens the success. Among other things he hired Newsome, orchestrated the trade that brought them Lewis and influenced the decision to hire Harbaugh.

https://fanspeak.com/afcnorth/2015/02/04/bill-belichick-built-ravens/

Just sayin....

This thread is awesome. So much guessing in here and connecting the most vague dots. I guess good for the writer, he got his name out there in a big way, bad on us for even giving him the clicks or time for discussing it.

This thread is awesome. So much guessing in here and connecting the most vague dots. I guess good for the writer, he got his name out there in a big way, bad on us for even giving him the clicks or time for discussing it.
The impending demise of the Patriots and blatant gossip about Darth Hoodie, Golden Boy, and company is a thread gift. It's positively gold.  

Yeah, I think the Pats got caught just doing too good a job of scouting and Brady hung on at a high level that they never expected him to be at given his current age. 

I thought this was a good point in the article. 

"Who has the highest cap hit on the team? Brady at $22 million. That guy’s always willing to take a pay cut to help his team win, right?

Good luck convincing Brady to take less money if you’re just turning around and giving it to the guy who’s going to replace him. Brady takes a discount to build up the team around him, not to shorten his Patriots career."

Yeah, I think the Pats got caught just doing too good a job of scouting and Brady hung on at a high level that they never expected him to be at given his current age. 

I thought this was a good point in the article. 

"Who has the highest cap hit on the team? Brady at $22 million. That guy’s always willing to take a pay cut to help his team win, right?

Good luck convincing Brady to take less money if you’re just turning around and giving it to the guy who’s going to replace him. Brady takes a discount to build up the team around him, not to shorten his Patriots career."
Again, the sand in the gears is that Brady and Jimmy G have the same agent.  In order to do right by BOTH of his clients, Don Yee has probably been advocating for a trade for a while. He held all of the cards here, probably to the point of being able to pick the 49ers as the best opportunity for his client.

Again, the sand in the gears is that Brady and Jimmy G have the same agent.  In order to do right by BOTH of his clients, Don Yee has probably been advocating for a trade for a while. He held all of the cards here, probably to the point of being able to pick the 49ers as the best opportunity for his client.
Yeah, that's a weird conflict to have, too. I noted the irony at the time that Garappolo got to go to the Bay Area, an area where you know Brady would have loved to have his career success.

I mean, I'm sure Brady will take his New England success, but it is ironic.  

They should have kept JG and traded or cut Brady.  It's a business and long term success dictated they keep JG.  Having said that, if the Patriots select "the right" QB in this year's draft, then they will be OK.  It carries more risk than JG, but it is a very good QB class.

Yee/Patriots did right by JG sending him to San Fran, a team on the rise, huge market and most important Coach and GM stability. You can't put $40M into 2 guys at same position. It's not what pick the Pats use on a QB, it's does the team have enough time to develop a new QB before the wheels fall off Brady.

They should have kept JG and traded or cut Brady.  It's a business and long term success dictated they keep JG.  Having said that, if the Patriots select "the right" QB in this year's draft, then they will be OK.  It carries more risk than JG, but it is a very good QB class.
None of this is even a foot note if SF went 1-4 under JG. No one knew what he would turn into after two career starts. And realistically we still don’t know all that much other than he did well so far. 

I still think cutting the most likely league MVP after winning the SB last year would be lunacy. Trading him for an unproven commodity when he was the highest rated QB based on effiency for two straight years would have met with revolt by the fan base. 

Bill would have known how good he was.  Only way to make it work is trade Brady for like Cleveland’s 1.1 and 1.4. That would have been fascinating to see who would have said no. 

None of this is even a foot note if SF went 1-4 under JG. No one knew what he would turn into after two career starts. And realistically we still don’t know all that much other than he did well so far. 

I still think cutting the most likely league MVP after winning the SB last year would be lunacy. Trading him for an unproven commodity when he was the highest rated QB based on effiency for two straight years would have met with revolt by the fan base. 
Brady is loved by the fans, getting rid of him is NOT an option- you can't compare him to other players as he is only player to be there for all the 7 super bowls

Bill would have known how good he was.  Only way to make it work is trade Brady for like Cleveland’s 1.1 and 1.4. That would have been fascinating to see who would have said no. 
When was the last time a back up QB was traded for a first round pick, let alone the first and fourth overall picks. You guys are cray cray. The going rate for an unproven back up (unless five quarters of football makes JG proven) has pretty much been a high second round pick. 

Just to reiterate, when did JG become a lock HOFer?
The day he looked good enough that everyone could point to the Pats and say "Ha, got you". JG >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Brady >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Montana

Brady is worth more, although there may be some drop off from Brady Pats to Brady Browns.  This isn't a novel idea that there is synergy between BB and Brady and they'd both do worse apart than they do together.  But still, Brady is worth 3 1sts.  He's as close to perfect as it gets.

Yeah, that's a weird conflict to have, too. I noted the irony at the time that Garappolo got to go to the Bay Area, an area where you know Brady would have loved to have his career success.

I mean, I'm sure Brady will take his New England success, but it is ironic.  
Probably. But it's kind of funny that he left California for Michigan instead of attending one of the schools there. Which leads one to think that maybe he cared less about being in California than playing for a great coach. Although Carr wasn't all that great.

Brady is loved by the fans, getting rid of him is NOT an option- you can't compare him to other players as he is only player to be there for all the 7 super bowls
I get it, but fans want to win over the long haul too. If Jimmy is all pro for the next decade after Tom hung it up, will the fans still be happy?

Brady is worth more, although there may be some drop off from Brady Pats to Brady Browns.  This isn't a novel idea that there is synergy between BB and Brady and they'd both do worse apart than they do together.  But still, Brady is worth 3 1sts.  He's as close to perfect as it gets.
At 40? I guess, maybe. But nobody was going to pay that these days. Maybe the Vikings...

When was the last time a back up QB was traded for a first round pick, let alone the first and fourth overall picks. You guys are cray cray. The going rate for an unproven back up (unless five quarters of football makes JG proven) has pretty much been a high second round pick. 
Does Sam Bradford count?

Probably. But it's kind of funny that he left California for Michigan instead of attending one of the schools there. Which leads one to think that maybe he cared less about being in California than playing for a great coach. Although Carr wasn't all that great.

I get it, but fans want to win over the long haul too. If Jimmy is all pro for the next decade after Tom hung it up, will the fans still be happy?
There is NO way the fans want him gone while he's playing like this- they are thinking 6 SB. They fans would gladly suck for a while at the chance for another SB

Of course Jimmy GQ is going to win 10 Superbowls!  And everyone knew it before the trade!  Not only did the Patriots screw up, 30 other teams screwed up by not trading 5 first round picks for him.

There is NO way the fans want him gone while he's playing like this- they are thinking 6 SB. They fans would gladly suck for a while at the chance for another SB
Today, yes. In a few years?

Of course if they're able to draft the next guy it works. If not we'll see 

At 40? I guess, maybe. But nobody was going to pay that these days. Maybe the Vikings...
No one would pay it because GMs are locked into traditional play valuations.  Tom Brady cannot fit into that player evaluation system.

I would blow up the stadium if the Browns traded picks 1 and 4 for tom brady.  What a stupid move that would be.
Both teams fans hate it, so I’m thinking that’s pretty fair value. 

Just the simple fact Kraft came out & said it wasn't his idea to trade Garoppolo is a sign of dissension. Kraft said Belichick told him about the deal & he was taken aback & would've liked to have thought about it. You also don't wait until the last day of the trade deadline to call the 9ers. Sounds like a major malfunction.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out there's a serious issue on how the Pats viewed the future of the QB position. I believe there's much more to this than they're letting on.

Just the simple fact Kraft came out & said it wasn't his idea to trade Garoppolo is a sign of dissension. Kraft said Belichick told him about the deal & he was taken aback & would've liked to have thought about it. You also don't wait until the last day of the trade deadline to call the 9ers. Sounds like a major malfunction.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out there's a serious issue on how the Pats viewed the future of the QB position. 
Come on, that is how you are connecting these dots?

Come on, that is how you are connecting these dots?
Because that was in Kraft's explanation?  

That he was "taken aback" allows you to at infer something not explicitly stated about the situation. Whether that inference is correct or not is another story.  

And I'm using infer wrong, but it's the popular usage of infer.  

Users who are viewing this thread