What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Balancing job offers -- advice? (1 Viewer)

Doug B said:
Daughter is almost 15, son is 11. My daughter is in an arts program locally that is difficult to get into and we would be loathe to leave behind.
For me that would be a bigger factor than the money.

Having said that, you said job #2 would not require relocation for at least one year.  You could take the contract job and hope a permanent offer comes from that. One year later, if no permanent offer comes of it your situation is not really worse than your current situation (looking for a job in your area) but you'd have more money in the bank.

Doug B said:
Daughter is almost 15, son is 11. My daughter is in an arts program locally that is difficult to get into and we would be loathe to leave behind.
For me that would be a bigger factor than the money.
Yep.

The things you write about Job #2 are true, as well.

Job #1's initial salary offer was lower than hoped for -- I countered with an increase of 8.6%, noting that my 12 years of experience in their field (which is narrowish and not much taught in colleges) would make my learning curve with them very short.

Job #1's initial salary offer was lower than hoped for -- I countered with an increase of 8.6%, noting that my 12 years of experience in their field (which is narrowish and not much taught in colleges) would make my learning curve with them very short.
Gah -- they summarily kicked back my counteroffer stating that their initial offer was their maximum  :kicksrock:

I have to figure ish out quick now. Job #1 just came in too low and doesn't appear willing to budge.

@JuniorGong, I have done exactly this. Thank you.
Just responded to you, let me know if you have any questions and I’m always happy to talk it over with you on the phone. Job changes are always stressful so good to have sounding boards. End of the day I always preach being transparent with people as that is what you want in return. Only thing worse than having concerns in this process is not articulating those concerns so that they can be addressed.

Gah -- they summarily kicked back my counteroffer stating that their initial offer was their maximum  :kicksrock:

I have to figure ish out quick now. Job #1 just came in too low and doesn't appear willing to budge.
That sucks, and almost reverses my opinion on the matter. Not coming up, knowing you are valued more elsewhere, might not be the best sign long term... if you take job 1, from the very start you'll look at those paychecks, and I winder how they are as to providing raises and the lime. It may be a company that simply doesn't pay aggressively even for the folks they want. 

Prior to their not budging, it seems that 1 was the better long term fit, but the above makes me wonder if you'll ever get to par n terms of being paid what you feel you're worth.

The contract gig certainly has more risk, but also more upside. And who's to say you have to stop looking? Keep your eyes out for things and if something good and permanent comes along, perhaps you make the shift either during or plan for around the end of your contract and/or use that to go to the employer and say you'd love to stay on, but need more assurance of long term stability. Worst case is you make 40% more over a year, and if you are aggressive prior to the contract running out, should have a good chance for a position that is at least as good as job 1, and may be on a much greater financial trajectory with the new baseline in pay.

Think of it as a one year gig and plan accordingly... if they don't renew or they want to ship you off, you'll be in a better position looking for the next permanent gig than you are today.

That sucks, and almost reverses my opinion on the matter. Not coming up, knowing you are valued more elsewhere, might not be the best sign long term... if you take job 1, from the very start you'll look at those paychecks, and I winder how they are as to providing raises and the lime. It may be a company that simply doesn't pay aggressively even for the folks they want. 

Prior to their not budging, it seems that 1 was the better long term fit, but the above makes me wonder if you'll ever get to par n terms of being paid what you feel you're worth.

The contract gig certainly has more risk, but also more upside. And who's to say you have to stop looking? Keep your eyes out for things and if something good and permanent comes along, perhaps you make the shift either during or plan for around the end of your contract and/or use that to go to the employer and say you'd love to stay on, but need more assurance of long term stability. Worst case is you make 40% more over a year, and if you are aggressive prior to the contract running out, should have a good chance for a position that is at least as good as job 1, and may be on a much greater financial trajectory with the new baseline in pay.

Think of it as a one year gig and plan accordingly... if they don't renew or they want to ship you off, you'll be in a better position looking for the next permanent gig than you are today.
Yeah, I'd be shifting this way based on the recent developments as well.  Take the contracting gig and continue to look on the side.

This.  Also makes for great interview conversation...  "After I was laid off, I took the contracting position to bide my time until I found the perfect fit".  I've used that and it went over very well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Any chance they can come up in other areas?  More vacation time, or personal days?  Even a credit towards Health Care could be nice too.

You'll also have the built in excuse when you find something that is a better fit for you.  It's a contract gig that you aren't sure if it'll be there in a year, any new employer that values you will understand that.

More importantly, which job provides better access to baseball drafts ?
Good question. Probably Job #1 ... I get the impression #2 locks down their employees' Internet access a little more firmly. Job #1 doesn't have the resources to track that stuff down.

Any chance they can come up in other areas?  More vacation time, or personal days?  Even a credit towards Health Care could be nice too.
An overtime rate was mentioned in Jon #1's written offer. I have contacted them this morning to ask about the general availability of overtime. I'd only need 3 to 5 hours a week of OT to bring the salary up enough to accept.

I'm also asking them about performance reviews, how often they revisit compensation for their staff, etc.

Good question. Probably Job #1 ... I get the impression #2 locks down their employees' Internet access a little more firmly. Job #1 doesn't have the resources to track that stuff down.
Well, in THAT case...

I'll text you when you are otc with a list of who's been taken since your last pick. :coffee:

An overtime rate was mentioned in Jon #1's written offer. I have contacted them this morning to ask about the general availability of overtime. I'd only need 3 to 5 hours a week of OT to bring the salary up enough to accept.

I'm also asking them about performance reviews, how often they revisit compensation for their staff, etc.
Things to consider:

-401K match, is there a min time to vest?  can they waive it?

-vacation - can they add a week (that's 2% of salary)

-pay for phone, car, internet if you work from home, etc.  Won't move the dial a ton (maybe a couple g's)

-Stock options or grant?  

-Signing bonus?

-Ability to work from home more?

There are likely more.  Don't get greedy, but come up with a few that would make a difference (if they would) and present them as a package (ie don't negotiate one by one or you'll piss them off)

Things to consider:
-401K match, is there a min time to vest?  Can they waive it? 6 months to vest, could ask to waive.

-vacation - can they add a week (that's 2% of salary)? Could ask for that, but I am not a vacation guy -- prefer the cash.

-pay for phone, car, internet if you work from home, etc.  Won't move the dial a ton (maybe a couple g's)? Too small a firm to foot the bill for a car ... perhaps the other ones.

-Stock options or grant?  Too small for these.

-Signing bonus? This would never occur to them, too small.

-Ability to work from home more? This would actually help me a lot ... can't hurt to ask.

This would be a huge Richard Johnson move on my part ... but I am starting to think I should accept both and pull out of one at the last minute. Anyone ever tried something like that?

This would be a huge Richard Johnson move on my part ... but I am starting to think I should accept both and pull out of one at the last minute. Anyone ever tried something like that?
What benefit does this give you?

I'd have a frank conversation with Job #1, see what else they can offer to make it something you'd take.  If they can, accept that one.  If they can't, accept Job #2 and don't look back. 

The most important things you have mentioned in your posts are security, no relocation, low risk, family are important to you. Seems #1 is your choice.

But good luck!!!

My fear with job #2 is that client companies can cancel contracts at a moments notice.

I know Job #2 has higher salary than Job 1 but what is difference once benefits, vacation taken into account?

I'd be leaning to Job 1 while staying on lookout

I was in a similar situation a few years ago, I had also been laid off and had some urgency. I had two offers, one was clearly better (salary and in town, higher $$) , it was very clear they wanted to hire me but it was a slow process (large multinational company). The second was a local business that had 4 locations and was going to start me in one that was about half an hour away and was going to "match" the other salary by having me work 48 hours on an hourly rate with overtime. But the second one formally offered me a job and the one I really wanted was dragging their heels.

I accepted the lesser job from the local company and like clockwork a couple days later the big guys made me a formal offer. I called the local guy (on Christmas eve :oldunsure: , I was to start in the new year and he was going away over the holidays) and told him I had to unaccept. It was awkward and he didn't go easy on me but he was also offering me a much worse deal, so :shrug:

Congrats on the offers by the way. 

I was in another similar situation last time I changed jobs (two formal offers) but I didn't get to the point of accepting the first before going with the second - and I was also employed at the time so could be more demanding.

What benefit does this give you?
Even with the written offer ... Job #2 has an out to back out at the very last second (as do I). If Job #2 were to do this, I'd be at Job #1 already ... still grousing privately over my compensation, though ...

Yeah, you're right :kicksrock:

Be a man, make a decision and stick with it

Industries differ, but if that happened in my industry decent chance that word gets around

This depends on your sector.  Whichever job you turn down you'll probably be burning a bridge.  

I would advise against accepting both offers but that said you gotta do what you think it best for you. Only you know the calculus that works for you to make your decision on which job offer to go with but if it was me I would go with Job #2 for the following reasons:

1. Job #1 is too much of a pay cut for you and being a smaller company I doubt they will look to increase your pay that quickly. If you decide to get back on the job market in a year or so you will be doing so with a current salary lower than where you are at right now
  2. If you take Job #2, I would still keep a passive search going for perm roles as well as other contract opportunities in case this one doesn't meet your expectations, doing so lessons the risk of this role. Knowing how the contract business works, you could even leverage the perm job offer to get yourself at least an additional $5/HR although I would suggest you work more on flexibility of hours and working from home
Of course, as I've shared I'm in the IT recruiting business so I have a much greater comfort level when it comes to working on a contract basis. Granted, there are horror stories out there but that can also be the case with permanent roles as well. Best of luck with whatever you decide and make sure your wife is comfortable with whatever decision you choose. Lord knows you don't want to hear an I told you so if things don't work out.

I, too, wouldn't accept both.  If for no other reason than you know there is interest from both, and who knows what happens over the next year, 3 years, 10 years.  There could be an opportunity where whichever job you politely refused, providing the reasons you did so, might recognize they are willing to change their tact sometime down the road and meet your needs.

And/or your needs may change, your career trajectory could present a different opportunity at either shop that could be a fit down the road - and if you respectfully decline with good reason, it leaves a door open if ever that company can "meet" your conditions.

I didn't read this entire thread and it is probably personal choice. I have 2 kids in school, one is a freshman and the other a junior. We moved multiple times when they were really young but they have now been in the same school system for 10 years. I would have a hard time moving them for a job now as I don't want to do that to them. I would stay in job 1.

Can you negotiate the salary for job #2?  Is there a salary they could offer you that would let you comfortably live for almost two years even if the contract ended after one year?  

Can you negotiate the salary for job #2?  Is there a salary they could offer you that would let you comfortably live for almost two years even if the contract ended after one year?  
Job #2, if I'm being honest, is paying above market rate. That said, they'd have to come close to tripling their offer for me to live comfortably for two years after the contract runs out. We've been living on our wages alone forever -- not wages + investments + family money or something like that. Not ideal,  but it is what it is.

Comparing benefits and deductions from each paycheck:

Job #2 was cagey when I asked them what percentage of healthcare is covered by the company and by the employee. I do have the employee monthly contribution amounts for the five health plans they offer. Also, for Job #2, Vision and Dental (important for us) comes 100% from the employee's pocket.

Job #1 pays 50% of Health, Vision, and Dental, and the my monthly contribution is about 30% less out of pocket than it would be with Job #2. The details of these benefits between the two companies are comparable (same health insurance company, in fact).

I've been putting pen to paper a lot since yesterday afternoon. There is debt we're carrying that's going to roll off of our "books" in a six months. There's some more debt that we can readily refinance to a lower monthly payment. Meanwhile, my wife has recently picked up some extra hours at her job (unrelated to me looking for work). I can work it out with Job #1 to where by the end of this year, the take-home pay is only a slightly less than it was at my previous position (like, a tank of gas a week less).

Job #1 also says that after a time, I can expect to take on more responsibilities and have my pay adjusted upwards. I don't have a lot of faith in that, though -- the firm must be small enough that the Powers That Be really feel it when someone gets a raise. I have asked for more specifics -- frequency of performance reviews, frequency of compensation adjustments for staff, etc.

Not an ideal situation, but much better than it could be (i.e. no offers). Since this was an unforeseen layoff and I'm trying to latch on to some floating object or another ... maybe treading water financially for a spell isn't so bad of an outcome. I just can't seem to get a good feeling about the contracting route. 15-20 years ago, with less on the line and no mortgage -- sure, would've been game for anything. Not so much these days.

Job #2, if I'm being honest, is paying above market rate. That said, they'd have to come close to tripling their offer for me to live comfortably for two years after the contract runs out. We've been living on our wages alone forever -- not wages + investments + family money or something like that. Not ideal,  but it is what it is.
Makes sense.  I know the allure of job #1 is long term stability, but I have a difficult time believing you will be a happy employee if you are underpaid starting day one.

... I have a difficult time believing you will be a happy employee if you are underpaid starting day one.
This has crossed my mind. With some responsible cutting back (not giving up essentials or basic entertainment), our household can run the same as before.

Someone on the last page recommended, basically, that whichever job I take to keep looking for the next one anyhow. Maybe this "preferred" Job #1 ends up being shortish-term (< 2 years) and something better comes down the pike before long.

Job #1 is a good company with a great business model, and they are growing quickly. There ought to be plenty of room for me to earn market rate within a few years. Flip side: most of the times, it seems to me, when you accept a salary ... internal controls wonder what's up when you want a significant raise: "You've been at a dollar for two years ... why do you want a buck-fifty now?" Which is why it's so common to leave a job almost solely to get a higher salary -- so often it's easier to switch jobs than it is to convince your current job that you are worth more..

Comparing benefits and deductions from each paycheck:

Job #2 was cagey when I asked them what percentage of healthcare is covered by the company and by the employee. I do have the employee monthly contribution amounts for the five health plans they offer. Also, for Job #2, Vision and Dental (important for us) comes 100% from the employee's pocket.

Job #1 pays 50% of Health, Vision, and Dental, and the my monthly contribution is about 30% less out of pocket than it would be with Job #2. The details of these benefits between the two companies are comparable (same health insurance company, in fact).

I've been putting pen to paper a lot since yesterday afternoon. There is debt we're carrying that's going to roll off of our "books" in a six months. There's some more debt that we can readily refinance to a lower monthly payment. Meanwhile, my wife has recently picked up some extra hours at her job (unrelated to me looking for work). I can work it out with Job #1 to where by the end of this year, the take-home pay is only a slightly less than it was at my previous position (like, a tank of gas a week less).

Job #1 also says that after a time, I can expect to take on more responsibilities and have my pay adjusted upwards. I don't have a lot of faith in that, though -- the firm must be small enough that the Powers That Be really feel it when someone gets a raise. I have asked for more specifics -- frequency of performance reviews, frequency of compensation adjustments for staff, etc.

Not an ideal situation, but much better than it could be (i.e. no offers). Since this was an unforeseen layoff and I'm trying to latch on to some floating object or another ... maybe treading water financially for a spell isn't so bad of an outcome. I just can't seem to get a good feeling about the contracting route. 15-20 years ago, with less on the line and no mortgage -- sure, would've been game for anything. Not so much these days.
Salary is important but only part of the total compensation and the decision.  Make a list of the pros/cons of each job. There usually is one item somewhere that will just stick out and be the reason to take #1 or #2.  Commit to a decision then sleep on it. See how you feel about it the next day. You don't want to be without a medical plan if the contract is cancelled or expires. You can take Cobra but it can be very expensive. Many ACA plans in Austin aren't accepted by local doctors. Your locale may be different.

Not sure if this helps but what I have found in last year under similar circumstances in IT industry.

Let go end of April 2017 after 18 years with almost no severance in at will state. Found contract job with startup that fell through after a month. (Startup fell thru not performance related.) 

Treaded water rest of 2017. Wife is Catholic school teacher and used her benefits. Kids off at college. End of 2017 landed contract 2 hire working for headhunter at major financial firm on town starting Jan 2nd. Contracting is great money but benefits are poor/not worth it. I am billing a consistent 5 to 8 hours OT weekly with clients okay. I hate to call out because I view it as money out of pocket. You don't work, you don't get paid. Great experience, learning new technology,  but looking forward to if/when they extend offer.

One last thing other dynamic is how FTE at certain company treat contractors.  I have been places where FTE look down their noses at Contractors and also where FTE are jealous of contractor salary/free reign.

One last thing other dynamic is how FTE at certain company.  I have been places where FTE look down their noses at Contractors and also where FTE are jealous of contractor salary/free reign.
Riffing off of this: I haven't even met the people I'd be working with at Job #2. I'm not sure the people I interviewed with over the phone were the people I'd be dealing with or not. They were just drones on the phone line for all I knew. As far as workplace culture, I'd be going in totally sight unseen.

On the other hand, I've met several people at Job #1, and have worked with some others in the past. I have a feel for what kind of culture to expect.

Riffing off of this: I haven't even met the people I'd be working with at Job #2. I'm not sure the people I interviewed with over the phone were the people I'd be dealing with or not. They were just drones on the phone line for all I knew. As far as workplace culture, I'd be going in totally sight unseen.

On the other hand, I've met several people at Job #1, and have worked with some others in the past. I have a feel for what kind of culture to expect.
Major alarm bells. I'd at least confirm with  headhunter if they have placed anybody at job2 and if you can speak to them. If not, ask them to confirm who you are working for at client shop.

You don't want to get hired by Manager A and let go 2 weeks later when you end up working for Manager B.

ETA: when I went thru my placement I interviewed with current managers manager. I knew general department I was working for. I also knew general idea of team size but didn't interview with anybody on team.

One last thing other dynamic is how FTE at certain company treat contractors.  I have been places where FTE look down their noses at Contractors and also where FTE are jealous of contractor salary/free reign.
Regarding "free reign": I should make clear that the situation at Job #2 wouldn't be free reign. I would not be an independent contractor working for myself. I'd be an employee (I guess) of the recruiting/placement company, and they'd be placing me (or not) as their clients and the market demand.

Job #1's offer was based on a 40-hour work week. I am now informed that staff often work a few hours extra overtime each week, and are compensated extra for it. The written offer does lay out an overtime rate, but what I didn't know was how overtime was treated in the company culture -- do overtime hours flow freely, or does the company bend over backwards to avoid paying OT except for special projects? I am told it is more like the former.

To me, that's a big plus. I can pull off, say, 3-5 hours a week of overtime with no life-quality impact. That potentially brings the Job #1 compensation up to around what my counteroffer was -- maybe a little higher.

Job #1's offer was based on a 40-hour work week. I am now informed that staff often work a few hours extra overtime each week, and are compensated extra for it. The written offer does lay out an overtime rate, but what I didn't know was how overtime was treated in the company culture -- do overtime hours flow freely, or does the company bend over backwards to avoid paying OT except for special projects? I am told it is more like the former.

To me, that's a big plus. I can pull off, say, 3-5 hours a week of overtime with no life-quality impact. That potentially brings the Job #1 compensation up to around what my counteroffer was -- maybe a little higher.
Sounding more like this is the best choice ... and you can feel it out then decide if it's a place you want to call home for a while or if you should keep your eyes peeled for something better.

:thumbup:  

Doug B said:
internal controls wonder what's up when you want a significant raise: "You've been at a dollar for two years ... why do you want a buck-fifty now?"
Did you mean to say "You've been at a dollar for two years......why do you want a buck-fifty three now?"

Always start with a 53% increase.....

As a middle line manager I hire about two first line managers a year.  I had a few prospects tell me that they have a pending offer from another firm, I say my offer is firm and ask them to give me their decision before we conclude our phone call.  If you trying to play me today, how can I trust you to be loyal to my team.

Regarding "free reign": I should make clear that the situation at Job #2 wouldn't be free reign. I would not be an independent contractor working for myself. I'd be an employee (I guess) of the recruiting/placement company, and they'd be placing me (or not) as their clients and the market demand.
By free reign I meant that you aren't obligated to go to company town halls or other company meetings where you get the company RahRah speech. You also aren't obligated to kiss up to the guys 3 levels up from you since you're just there to perform Job X and then move on as you seem fit.

As a middle line manager I hire about two first line managers a year.  I had a few prospects tell me that they have a pending offer from another firm, I say my offer is firm and ask them to give me their decision before we conclude our phone call.  If you trying to play me today, how can I trust you to be loyal to my team.
Loyalty is earned... let's see if the company values what I bring, even if they do stand firm on the offer.

I'd prefer to have a company that not only respects the desire to think things through, but would prefer an employee that takes a measured approach.  This is a life changing decision that should have a respectful and deliberate process that hopefully results in two enthusiastic participants. IMO, to demand loyalty of someone before they've even joined seems, well, presumptuous. 

[eta, why would you consider them 'playing' you? wouldnt you prefer an employee with the gumption and confidence to at least try to negotiate?]

That said, everyone has their own management style, and if your approach works for you and gets you the type of people you want, all the power to you. Good luck for you at least in that you wouldnt hire me to begin with (no way I'm just answering that question in an affirmative right then and there, unless I do so knowing I can always rethink it and change my mind the next day, but once you say no, it's done.)

Ding ding ding ding!
Be careful, the days of $80-$110 barrel are long gone. Unless it's a down  stream related company (distribution or retail or services related to these) I'd think hard before going with #2.

Users who are viewing this thread