What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Nick Chubb, CLE (2 Viewers)

Are we forgetting that Hyde is made of glass? Chubb's time will come at some point this year. I'm on board with a stash as long as I can. Kid is electric.

I asked you one question about what you saw of his pass protection and you didn't bother to answer, you side stepped it by saying: "...he's not terrible in pass protection. "

Then said: "Hyde led the league in pressures allowed last year with 13. I don't think Chubb is going to do much worse."

He's not terrible and he's not going to be much worse, OK.

Mayfield wasn't starting for number of reasons but the top reason was the LT position and you can try to lecture me about the team that you know nothing about however I know more than you do and I don't have to be given credit.  I'll take credit for knowing more than you about the Cleveland Browns because I do.  You don't.  The primary reason why he was going to have to wait to start even before they brought in Des Harrison was concern over him being able to read and call proper pass protections.

This is from June long before the three iterations of left tackle attempts before they settled on Desmond Harrison at left tackle and I'm not about to dig and to find the mentions by Hue of establishing the supporting cast before he was ready to put in Baker where he specifically mentioned getting the left tackle positioned settled but you stick with the lack of knowledge of the situation and keep spinning away from what you saw because you saw nothing from Chubb in terms of pass-protection.

Why an eager Baker Mayfield may have to wait his turn 
I did not side step the issue. It's just a fact that he's not terrible in pass protection. You are asserting that he is terrible based off of your (potential biased and untrained*) eye tests on a handful of snaps. I'm relying on actual scouts I trust that watched many college snaps. 

*That's not a dig, btw. We are all untrained, which is why I rarely if ever offer my own eye tests. 

The things you just posted actually backed up what I said - Baker was sitting because he had to learn. Like many, many rookies before him. None of that pointed to LT being "the primary reason" why he was sitting behind Tyrod. 

you can try to lecture me about the team that you know nothing about however I know more than you do and I don't have to be given credit.  I'll take credit for knowing more than you about the Cleveland Browns because I do.  You don't.
:loco: :crazy:  The nonsense bot is glitching. :lol:

Are we forgetting that Hyde is made of glass? Chubb's time will come at some point this year. I'm on board with a stash as long as I can. Kid is electric.
I almost don’t want them to start splitting carries.  Just feed Hyde til he eventually wears down and gets injured.  Then let Chubb eat

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you guys are having fun with this.  More ammo.  I picked up Chubb last night and I am playing him over Crowell.  I may be drinking the kool-aid.

Swamp

"Cleveland Browns: Why Colin Cowherd is right about Nick Chubb" posted July 21, 2018.

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2018/07/21/cleveland-browns-colin-cowherd-right-nick-chubb/

The Cleveland Browns may have the AFC offensive rookie of the year on their team per Colin Cowherd. Shockingly, Cowherd may be right this time.

The Cleveland Browns may have a new fan. Well, a new fan besides all world gamer Ninja. Fox Sports radio personality Colin Cowherd is known for his outrageous takes.

But this time, he made an outrageous that may actually come true. Which goes to show that if one makes enough predictions, some of them are bound to come true.

Usually, when Cowherd opens his mouth about the Browns it is for the purpose of rubbing salt on existing wounds.

He also likes to talk about how Baker Mayfield is “undraftable”.  But this time Cowherd made positive statements about the Browns calling them the “most improved team” and the “most improved roster in the NFL”.

He goes on to predict that the $16 million man Nick Chubb will become the AFC offensive rookie of the year. Chubb was selected No. 35 overall. The pick was acquired from the Houston Texans for taking on the Brock Osweiler contract disaster. The Browns agreed to take on the roughly guaranteed $16 million salary in exchange for the Texans second-round pick in the 2018 NFL draft.

It is unusual to pick a running back who is not known for his receiving skills to be the offensive rookie of the year. The NFL is such a passing league that running backs must be a receiving threat to be a three-down back. Without being a three-down back, it will be hard for Chubb to put up the numbers to be the offensive rookie of the year.

"Why Cowherd is wrong"

Why is Cowherd wrong about Nick Chubb? Colin Cowherd is wrong about everything. But there are reasons to believe that Nick Chubb will not be the offensive rookie of the year. This does not mean Chubb will not be a good or even outstanding running back. His play may not rise to the level of offensive rookie of the year.

First, Chubb is currently third on the depth chart. The Browns invested a large amount of money in former Ohio State running back Carlos Hyde. Hyde was recently ranked number 96 on the NFL’s top 100 players.

Hyde is experienced, has good vision and can catch out of the back well enough for the position. Give the Browns currently strategy of bringing in veterans to mentor rookies, it seems Hyde’s role is to be a mentor and starter until Chubb is ready.

Here is are Chubb’s plays versus Notre Dame last season. Notice Chubb’s vision to the hole and his ability to redirect in the hole:

Second, the Browns have an explosive third-down back in Duke Johnson. No matter how good Nick Chubb can be, a specialty weapon like Johnson will be on the field on third down. Johnson can run routes out of the slot as a receiver, he lines up wide as a receiver and can pass block when called upon. This is all before talking about his vision and explosiveness as a running back. Only his small size keeps him from being a featured back.

In all, Nick Chubb has a large ladder to climb to reach the point where he will get 15-20 carries and maybe 3-5 targets a game. He must leapfrog both Hyde and Johnson for snaps. Barring injury, Chubb is in for a season of relief duty. It is hard to win AFC offensive rookie of the year from the bench.

But Cowherd may be right, let’s see why.

"Why Cowherd is right"

Colin Cowherd makes so many predictions that some are bound to be true. Right? Well, this time Cowherd may actually be on to something. There are some good reasons to believe that if Chubb can crack the lineup, he could win AFC offensive rookie of the year.

First, Nick Chubb has excellent vision to the hole. Many a running back have come through Cleveland without any idea of where the hole is supposed to be or how to run through it. (*cough* Trent Richardson)

But Chubb has the outstanding ability to see not only at the first level but also the second. He will make adjustments on his zone routes based on linebacker flow. Most backs read defensive line flow only to be immediately tackled at the second level. Chubb is able to set up linebackers with is routes to open up the second level by the time he is through the hole.

As a point of comparison, here is a clip of Le’Veon Bell from his Michigan State days. Notice how Bell was able to manipulate the second level defenders before he reaches the hole.

Second, Nick Chubb has Le’Veon Bell style qualities. People forget that Bell was a big bruising tailback when entering the league. He then lost almost twenty pounds after his rookie year. With the weight loss, he transformed from a power bruiser back to a more nimble scat back with the ability to run with power.

Nick Chubb looks like Le’Veon Bell when he was in college. Chubb is big with excellent vision and possesses the ability to both run over opponents and run around them. He is the rare combination of vision, speed, and power. These style backs to not come around often. Yet, Chubb is not the receiver Bell was a Michigan State.

This is not to say that Chubb will become the next Le’Veon Bell. But it is not out of the realm of possibility either. If Chubb performs in the NFL like he did at Georgia, there is no reason to believe he will not at least be in the conversation for the AFC offensive rookie of the year.

Right, Chubb was a guy I was trying to stash in any league I had a free spot in last week for this exact reason. 

For redraft league owners who have both Hyde and Chubb, are you trying to trade Hyde?

ROS would you rather have if you have a stud RB already and decent RB2: Hyde or stash Chubb?

Chubb is the equivalent of Larry Johnson sitting behind Priest Holmes or Deuce McAllister sitting behind Ricky Williams.  But without an elite talent in front of him.  He will become a stud as soon as Hyde gets hurt or leaves.

Everybody talking about his top speed of 21.15 mph on the 1st TD which is very impressive for a back his size, but the 2nd TD was far more impressive in my mind.

On his 2nd TD run, he actually pulled away from Marcus Gilchrist a 4.4 guy and Leon Hall a 4.38 guy could not catch him. It's one thing to run away from DL and LBs, quite another to have a gear to blow out secondaries who pull up in disgust cos they can't catch you. Usually the long runs on big backs are breaking tackles off secondaries, misdirection or a bad angle decision by a defensive player, not flat outrunning them Tyreek hill style. Not bad for a 230 lb back that also possess the skill set to run over you or juke you out of his shoes.

The move on Eric Harris was phenomenal. It was like he wasn't even there as far as Chubb not having to lose more than a microsecond on deceleration to avoid the tackle, and it didn't alter his angle to the goal line more than an inch or two. He might as well not have even been there.

Breakdown:

Screen1 - at this point he has just juked Eric Harris and Gilchrist is already at full speed only a few yards away

Screen2 - Gilchrist and Chubb running at full speed and Gilchrist is able to reach out and touch him at this point, but if he reaches Gilchrist will slow down so Gilchrist chooses to use his speed to get a little closer before making a tackle on a guy with 25 lbs on him. If Hyde had got this far (he would have been tackled after being slowed by Harris most likely), but if he got to this point no question he gets tackled here as Gilchrist would close on him as he would on most RBs in the league as there is still 27 yards to go to the goal line. This is why you cannot take away a guys long TD runs ("If he didn't have that long run then he woulda had a bad game" type stuff doesn't fly). I also have Zeke and watched every run of his entire career and Zeke would not score from this screenshot either. He routinely gets run down by safeties (and Zeke at 4.46 has a faster 40 time than Chubb at 4.52, but doesn't have that long speed extra gear Chubb has which will translate to more long TDs than Zeke, and Zeke has elite metrics. This isn't to knock Zeke who I have had since rookie year, just observing what Chubb brings to the table and his potential to be an all-star in this league.) Here is a head on look to show Gilchrist can reach out and touch Chubb from another angle, he was that close.

Screen3 - as they cross the 17 yard line, Chubb is pulling away from Gilchrist (who's fron shoe is being overlapped by Chubb's rear shoe). They were neck and neck in the last screen 10 yards back. Also notice corner #29 Leon Hall is crossing the 19 yard line and has an angle to catch Chubb as Chubb's angle is moving away from Gilchrist, but being pushed into Hall's lane. AS stated before ... Hall runs a 4.38 40.

Screen4 - at this point its evident now to Gilchrist that Chubb is faster than him and he pulls up at the 10 yard line. Their 17 yard race was easily won by Chubb as he is pulling away. Notice Hall is now withing 1 yard of Chubb who is angling into his lane.

Screen5 - Gilchrist is now about 3-4 yards back and Hall places a hand on Chubb with 2 yards to go. Its not enough to slow him down.

Screen6 - Chubb beats the 4.38 guy to the line.

He could be special in this league. Link to TD runs 

He is?

2014 -- Missed last 2 games of the year as a rookie after an awkward tackle (back injury)

2015 -- Foot fracture in week 5, played 2 more weeks, then shut down for the year

2016 -- Shoulder sprain, only missed 2 games.  Torn MCL in week 16, missed final game (total 3 games)

2017 -- No missed games.

So, as an NFL RB, he's played 13+ games in 3 out of 4 seasons (13, 14, and 16 games).  But he's made of glass?  That narrative is a couple years old at this point.

if only someone advocated repeatedly for ppl to take chubb at 1.02
I debated him at 1.03 didn’t take home and got him with my next pick at 3.05. Not sure what others were thinking. Maybe Hyde and Duke and all the losing scared them off but I’m glad it did if it did

No lie. 30+ year keeper league with supposedly knowledgeable owners who I thought would know better. Started getting excited at around 2.07 that he was dropping. Started making trade offers nobody accepted at 3.01 and fell into my lap at 3.05. Still can’t believe that happened as I wanted him since he took over for gurley at Georgia and saw some of those runs he ripped off  

Glad it did as it looks like he could be something special

He is?

2014 -- Missed last 2 games of the year as a rookie after an awkward tackle (back injury)

2015 -- Foot fracture in week 5, played 2 more weeks, then shut down for the year

2016 -- Shoulder sprain, only missed 2 games.  Torn MCL in week 16, missed final game (total 3 games)

2017 -- No missed games.

So, as an NFL RB, he's played 13+ games in 3 out of 4 seasons (13, 14, and 16 games).  But he's made of glass?  That narrative is a couple years old at this point.
Tempered glass

If you weren't full Chubb yet..

Here's a read from Nick Whalen's Devy report on Nick

This is a tough profile to write because I still feel horrible for the injury he suffered. Chubb tore his PCL and two other ligaments on the first play against Tennessee, luckily the ACL remained intact and he had no artery or nerve damage. Dynasty League Football writer Dr. Scott Peak said “players have a 50-70% of returning to pre-injury form.” However, we still have many reasons to be hopeful for his NFL prospects including an article I wrote concluding he had the best freshman season ever for a RB! In 2015, he improved his YPC by a full yard! Chubb was on pace for 1,788 yards and 17 touchdowns rushing before his injury. Down eight pounds heading into the season, Chubb appeared to be a little quicker but maintained his power. At 5’10”(if that) 220 lbs with a very thick lower half, Chubb packs a lot of power and leverage when going against defenders. This is very evident in the open field when one player rarely brings him down. Very good balance because of his leverage allows him to bounce off of defenders and gain, not just a few more yards, but big plays because he can return to balance quicker than defenders. Watching in slow motion, it’s amazing to see his confidence in running through contact. Chubb has great burst and low 4.4 speed, which he can maintain over long distances. Runs with an aggressive mindset and has great timing of when to initial contact with a defender to throw them off balance but still maintain his. He changes direction well, but he’s not a RB that wins by juking out defenders. Displays good patience waiting for a hole to open up and then accelerates through it. Great vision and seems to have a good grasp of knowing where he can cut if a hole is bottled up. Soft hands and is dangerous with the ball in the open field. The injury scares me for Nick Chubb’s future NFL prospects, however the payoff is a Hall of Fame level talent at RB.

NFLcomparison = Better version of Maurice Jones-Drew

Imagine being Hue/Haley watching Chubb run in that game and only giving him 3 carries. 
Is the only reason that guys still employed because the Browns are just exhausted with hiring new coaches?

Seriously, a guy that has lost virtually every game he’s coached in a town for going on three years at this level.  It’s just mind boggling he’s cashing checks as a head coach in the NFL.

"I watched those two touchdowns on tape today, and they were even better than they were on the field," Jackson said on Monday. "He ran away from some people on the first one and ran away from some people on the second one. It just looked natural and easy. He was gone."

:ph34r:

Now I gotta figure out how to dance the line between starting Hyde or Chubb, as the season progresses. I can't quite imagine Chubb completely taking over the backfield without a Hyde injury. I can absolutely see this getting frustrating for fantasy. Guess I signed up for it when I drafted them. I suppose if it turns into an even split you'd have to go Chubb because of his homerun upside. What if Hyde gets a 15-10 carry split over Chubb? I think that's realistic to expect if they're both healthy. Sounds like more RBBC murkiness to me.

"I watched those two touchdowns on tape today, and they were even better than they were on the field," Jackson said on Monday. "He ran away from some people on the first one and ran away from some people on the second one. It just looked natural and easy. He was gone."

:ph34r:
:lmao:

It's kind of his job to be able to recognize when his players are playing well while standing on the ####### sidelines. Hue has to wait for the coaches film to be available to truly evaluate players, he's the best.

Now I gotta figure out how to dance the line between starting Hyde or Chubb, as the season progresses. I can't quite imagine Chubb completely taking over the backfield without a Hyde injury. I can absolutely see this getting frustrating for fantasy. Guess I signed up for it when I drafted them. I suppose if it turns into an even split you'd have to go Chubb because of his homerun upside. What if Hyde gets a 15-10 carry split over Chubb? I think that's realistic to expect if they're both healthy. Sounds like more RBBC murkiness to me.
It will be super murky with Duke playing on 35% of the snaps and being utilized 10 or so times a game. And Haley doesn't utilize 21 or 22 personnel. There are just too many talented players on that team, it's annoying. 

It's kind of his job to be able to recognize when his players are playing well while standing on the ####### sidelines. Hue has to wait for the coaches film to be available to truly evaluate players, he's the best.

It will be super murky with Duke playing on 35% of the snaps and being utilized 10 or so times a game. And Haley doesn't utilize 21 or 22 personnel. There are just too many talented players on that team, it's annoying. 
As a Browns fan this too many talented players thing is confusing me.

About Chubb, in preseason and his other few carries he looked like he was running with a piano on his back through mud.  Then that 63 yarder just shocked me.  The 2nd run was even better.

When was the last time anyone ever said that about Cleveland?

Chubbs becoming the starting Browns RB will be a beautiful thing when it happens but fixating on that as the only way he becomes playable is silly.

This is a guy who just produced 100 yards, 2 TDs, and 20+ FPs on three carries after all.

Fact is there’s a large range of useful fantasy production between early October Chubb and starting RB on the depth chart Chubb. 

So as a fantasy owner all I care about right now is that he sees a few additional touches each week and that he impresses his coach’s to earn a few more touches the next week. 

If that happens everything else will work itself out one way or another.

Chubbs becoming the starting Browns RB will be a beautiful thing when it happens but fixating on that as the only way he becomes playable is silly.

This is a guy who just produced 100 yards, 2 TDs, and 20+ FPs on three carries after all.

Fact is there’s a large range of useful fantasy production between early October Chubb and starting RB on the depth chart Chubb. 

So as a fantasy owner all I care about right now is that he sees a few additional touches each week and that he impresses his coach’s to earn a few more touches the next week. 

If that happens everything else will work itself out one way or another.
I'm not comparing them but I'm comparing them. I remember back in Oct 2014 some guy named OBJ caught 4 balls for 34 yards and 2 TDs. Fantasy wise, that's an intriguing stat line. Maybe it's just one of those weird anomalies? Maybe.. or maybe you're seeing the beginning of something. I'm not saying that's what's happening here but the bottom line is, you can't win the lottery if you don't buy a ticket...

bumpman said:
Chubb is the equivalent of Larry Johnson sitting behind Priest Holmes or Deuce McAllister sitting behind Ricky Williams.  But without an elite talent in front of him.  He will become a stud as soon as Hyde gets hurt or leaves.
Liking this, but mostly out of wishful thinking. If Chubb can at least match Hyde's production and be a solid flex I'll be happy

It’s only a matter of time before Hyde gets hurt and Chubb runs away with the job. Too freakin good pre injury in college. I thought he was better than fournette and Zeke in college. I think it should start moving into a rb split as we approach weeks 8-10. He could be this years Kamara in the 2nd half. Hyde has no chance to keep this gig IMO, Chubb is elite 

It’s only a matter of time before Hyde gets hurt and Chubb runs away with the job. Too freakin good pre injury in college. I thought he was better than fournette and Zeke in college. I think it should start moving into a rb split as we approach weeks 8-10. He could be this years Kamara in the 2nd half. Hyde has no chance to keep this gig IMO, Chubb is elite 
I spent my 4th priority WW position to snag him this week (he was dropped last week) for exactly this reason.

I’m betting more on the RBBC than injury, though Hyde’s history shows he’s about due. 

Suddently an offense I wanted nothing to do with has become somewhat intriguing - and eye-test-wise, Chubb looks like he’d be a beast with 20+ touches. 

I love Chubb but he wont be any Kamara in ppr unless he catches some balls. I think he can just win the job from Hyde. Duke is the bigger roadblock. 

I love Chubb but he wont be any Kamara in ppr unless he catches some balls. I think he can just win the job from Hyde. Duke is the bigger roadblock. 
IMO if Duke was a roadblock they wouldn’t have drafted Chubb.

Duke might steal the receptions if Hyde goes down, but IMO the bulk of the carries would go to Chubb in that scenario.

I think someone mentioned the DeMarco Murray / Derrick Henry comparison before but...

What if this is an Adrian Peterson / Chester Taylor scenario instead?

Pouring some of that hype into the hype pile.

IMO if Duke was a roadblock they wouldn’t have drafted Chubb.

Duke might steal the receptions if Hyde goes down, but IMO the bulk of the carries would go to Chubb in that scenario.
So you don’t think Duke is the pass catching back? Okay. Hyde may be the worst receiving back in the league so your comment is really bizarre all the way around.

Users who are viewing this thread