What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

​ 🏛️ ​Official Supreme Court nomination thread - Amy Coney Barrett (1 Viewer)

The Democrats would have done the exact same thing if it were a GOP President making a Supreme Court nominee in a presidential election year....with the Democrats holding the Senate majority.

And you know it.

Unfortunately, politics is a dirty sport.
That is BS. You don't get to unilaterally determine what other people would do based on your cynical worldview. Hell Merrick Garland was a fig leaf to the right. he wasn;t some flame thrower from the left. 

On the baseball tickets, I do have a good bit of knowledge in that area.  $200K given the contracts the teams require you to sign now for club type tickets, that isn't that unusual.  Is it a poor financial decision to buy those on credit, that I'd agree with.  But people do it every day and the teams often finance it for them.  If you were to look at the financial statements for any professional sports team you would find debt financed on club seats, PSLs, etc.  All quite large amounts.
And then it all disappears? POOF? 

If allowed, I’m going to camp out the night before the early voting period in my district starts so I can be first in line when voting opens.
All states should just go to vote by mail.  I get my ballot, I have 2 weeks to drop it in a box at a fire station or grocery store near me or put it in a mailbox.   No having to take time off work, go find a random church, wait in line for an 80-year old volunteer to thumb through a book trying to find my name...

Interesting how Garland would have been significantly to the left of Scalia since the Republican talking point has been Kavanaugh and Garland voting together 90+ percent of the time.
I'm not disagreeing with you in principle.  I've been quite open I lean right but I'm not hard right.  I didn't think at the moment the ends justified the means.  A lot of conservatives feel differently from me.  But those type things create the same type reactions or worse from the other side.  I do think that whole situation helped create the voter enthusiasm on the Democratic side for this cycle.  But I think the Dems misplayed this situation with Kavanaugh.  At least in many circles they came off poorly and at the very least they've helped gin up support on the right.

And then it all disappears? POOF? 
Frequently.  I haven't audited his personal finances.  I mean some people pay off their debt selling some of the tickets.  I have no idea what he did.  Sometimes you have buy out clauses with teams on this type stuff too.

Frequently.  I haven't audited his personal finances.  I mean some people pay off their debt selling some of the tickets.  I have no idea what he did.  Sometimes you have buy out clauses with teams on this type stuff too.
If only there was some way to check this stuff out.......

All states should just go to vote by mail.  I get my ballot, I have 2 weeks to drop it in a box at a fire station or grocery store near me or put it in a mailbox.   No having to take time off work, go find a random church, wait in line for an 80-year old volunteer to thumb through a book trying to find my name...
I think that’s a terrific idea and would love to see that widely available.  And automatic voter registration, and IRV/ranked choice voting, and a bunch of other stuff that would make it easier to vote and encourage more people to participate.

Unfortunately, my state’s Secretary Of State is Kris Kobach, so there isn’t much urgency at the state level to increase voting convenience and participation, at least not until those hundreds of thousands of illegals voting fraudulently are hunted down and jailed like they tried to cross the border without proper paperwork.

That is BS. You don't get to unilaterally determine what other people would do based on your cynical worldview. Hell Merrick Garland was a fig leaf to the right. he wasn;t some flame thrower from the left. 
The Democrats pushed through a ####ty bill that they didn't even want, despite Massachusetts of all places voting a Republican senator in for the first time in 30 years just to defeat it.  Don't pretend there's any procedural or rule following high ground for them to stand on.  

I'm not disagreeing with you in principle.  I've been quite open I lean right but I'm not hard right.  I didn't think at the moment the ends justified the means.  A lot of conservatives feel differently from me.  But those type things create the same type reactions or worse from the other side.  I do think that whole situation helped create the voter enthusiasm on the Democratic side for this cycle.  But I think the Dems misplayed this situation with Kavanaugh.  At least in many circles they came off poorly and at the very least they've helped gin up support on the right.
How would you go about preventing a rapist from getting on the SCOTUS?

I agree that Garland was not a flame thrower from the left.  I think he would have been a very good Supreme Court Judge.

In the words of our 44th President... "Elections have consequences."  Maybe the DNC should remember that in 2 years and NOT shove through a terrible candidate who's hated by over half of her own party.
Are you referring to the candidate who got the most votes in the 2016 Democrativ primary?  

Yeah I don't get it either unless the goal is to make voting harder to do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah I thought it was terrible how the Dems withheld over 90% of the documents Kavanaugh created, put a bunch of artificial deadlines in place to speed up the process, brought in a prosecutor to question Ford instead of questioning her themselves to shield themselves from her and reframe the debate to make the standard more like a criminal inquiry than a job interview, and limited the time and scope of the FBI’s reach after Ford’s testimony to make it a sham of a process instead of a real investigation.

Yeah I thought it was terrible how the Dems withheld over 90% of the documents Kavanaugh created, put a bunch of artificial deadlines in place to speed up the process, brought in a prosecutor to question Ford instead of questioning her themselves to shield themselves from her and reframe the debate to make the standard more like a criminal inquiry than a job interview, and limited the time and scope of the FBI’s reach after Ford’s testimony to make it a sham of a process instead of a real investigation.
If you think the FBI needed more time I don't know what to tell you.  They didn't even use the whole week that was given.  I'm eyes open that the R's do things for political gain.  Let's not pretend that the D's didn't want this to just stretch on til the midterms and a new congress could be seated.

The Democrats pushed through a ####ty bill that they didn't even want, despite Massachusetts of all places voting a Republican senator in for the first time in 30 years just to defeat it.  Don't pretend there's any procedural or rule following high ground for them to stand on.  
I am convinced this is the event that started us down the path we currently find ourselves (unprecedented politically disfunction).

Forget the blue wave. There is going to be one huge mother ####### tsumani of women voters wiping out Republicans across the country coming up.
Will vary from place to place ... but in the cherry-red suburbs around here, Ford didn't get a whole lot of out-loud support among women. Lots of "obvious smear job" takes around here. I'm judging that by five in-real-life women and about five dozen female callers to local news radio. :shrug:

Didn't realize you need to be convicted of rape to have committed rape.
Well then you haven't thought it through.  We all know the statement you said above is true.  That seems unrelated to the fact that you were referencing a specific individual who hasn't been convicted and from what I've seen hasn't had a corroborating witness even back up claims against him.  It's just partisan namecalling at that point so go ahead.

Are you saying she would have been better off keeping quiet? 
I think it's hard to imagine it being worse.

Because the case never went to trial, rumors that Amber Wyatt had either recanted or dropped charges blossomed, bolstering the notion that she had invented the entire thing. Mark Wyatt still believes that if his daughter’s case had gone to trial, the years of suffering that followed for her— the spiral of drug abuse and addiction — would not have been so severe. “Even if it had gone to trial and they would have found them not guilty, at least they would have been on trial for it,” he said. “I would hope that she would have been able to put this behind her much sooner.”
With all that had come before, that word in particular stung more than it soothed. And her past followed her. “Even four years after I graduated,” Wyatt told me in 2015, “I would meet people and they would be like, ‘Oh, you’re Amber Wyatt.’ ” By which they meant, as Wyatt interpreted their response, the girl who “lied about being raped.”
Compare with someone else who was in school right before her:

Still others shared accounts of their own assaults, including one email that arrived in my inbox the evening the article was published from a woman who had attended Martin not long before Wyatt. “Like Amber I was a cheerleader and like Amber, I have a similar experience,” she wrote. “She was brave enough to immediately come forward, but I was not. This happened to me and it happened to other girls I knew. We never talked about it after the parties. We just went on, I guess accepting what happened as a consequence of being intoxicated. Embarrassed to hear talk of it in school the following week, the best thing I felt I could do was minimize the experience. I didn’t see it as a violation until much later in life.”

She concluded on a point both hopeful and haunting. “I hope my children will have a very different experience than we did,” she wrote. “It never leaves you after all.”
Sounds like she has something at least approximating a normal life.  Kids.  Moved on as much as possible.

Amber Wyatt?  Just starting that journey now, twelve years later.

Well, by stating 

you kind of indicate that "making a choice to be punished for" is a consideration in murder in general, thus, actually, blaming the victim for the action of the murderer.

Logically speaking, of course.

Personally I do not find abortion to be murder, if you do then we'll have to agree to disagree on that, as well
Huh?

The "choice" in my quote is whatever mistake got someone convicted and sentenced to capital punishment (it doesn't necessarily have to be a murderer).  I don't understand who you think the victim is I am assigning blame to.  

To summarize my point, which I don't think you understood:  it's a-okay to kill someone as punishment for being a POS, it's not okay to kill a fetus because it can't be a POS.  This is how someone can be pro-life and for the death penalty and not be hypocritical. 

So who's the victim and how are yhey being blamed? 

If you think the FBI needed more time I don't know what to tell you.  They didn't even use the whole week that was given.  I'm eyes open that the R's do things for political gain.  Let's not pretend that the D's didn't want this to just stretch on til the midterms and a new congress could be seated.
I think the FBI should have been allowed to do its job.  And Merrick Garland says hi.

Cool, I hope when your wife, girlfriend or daughter gets sexually assaulted or raped that there is a corroborating witness observing.
I wouldn't expect anything more classless from someone like you.  Thanks for showing your colors here.  

For the record, yes there needs to be evidence.  Even if someone came out of the shadows and accused you of rape, I'd think that you'd deserve that basic right of having to have corroboration to be found guilty or labeled as such.

I wouldn't expect anything more classless from someone like you.  Thanks for showing your colors here.  

For the record, yes there needs to be evidence.  Even if someone came out of the shadows and accused you of rape, I'd think that you'd deserve that basic right of having to have corroboration to be found guilty or labeled as such.
Victim testimony is evidence.  There is no "right to have corroboration to be found guilty" or even "labeled as such."

Last edited by a moderator:
Think you're looking for an olive branch here.   

Users who are viewing this thread