What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Stock Thread (21 Viewers)

Great time to buy AMZN. Compared to a couple weeks ago, they are having a 10% off sale.
AMZN is begging me to buy more. 

Thought I bought the dip at $1865 but now I'm not sure. 

I'll see what the next day or two brings before I leap. (Probably regret it as it will head back to $1900 now)

I'll see what the next day or two brings before I leap. (Probably regret it as it will head back to $1900 now)
It hit 1895 earlier today then began its descent. 

Picked up 1000 shares of ACRX at 1.65 in pre market. Stock tanked on a really bad article by seeking alpha. Like guy should go to jail bad. 

Hoping for a quick turn not long after open. 

Not sure if it’s who wrote this article, don’t know my login but Adam Feurenstein kills biotechs all the time with articles. I can attest recently with GBT. 
It wasn't him. It was obviously deliberate though and completely false. 

On page 29 on the FDA document, the review team states that the Human Factors Study did not demonstrate that the user interface "supports the safe and effective use of the product"  and "we do not find the risk acceptable." They recommend changes to the user interface and another human factors study to show the effectiveness of the recommended mitigation strategies.
Page 29 had zero mention of this. 

You made the money off people who think SA is a reputable news source. They deserve it. :P
If it was an opinion piece or whatever, sure, yes they deserve everything they get. A little different when they say on page 29... it says xyz when it doesnt say that. I rely on SA for conference call transcripts and a quick place to read news releases or some other things. Never occurred to me before that they would do this. This is bad. 

I use them for transcripts, also, and occasionally for analysis/opinion on small stocks that have little available info elsewhere. I'm not sure what kind of vetting they do for contributors.

Just curious, who is the "we" you're referring to here?
Think he's just referring to funds (hedge, asset managers, etc.)

I see people starting to freak out, which is comical, we're about 2-5% off all-time highs, depending on the index. Love to hear what these people say if we ever hit a bear market. 

Like most dips, I assume this one will also be bought at some point. If we continue the slide into the midterms, I think we'll get some announcement of a meeting with China to discuss trade... It'll be bull#### to prop the market before the votes, that'll be the pop you want to exit on, IMO. 

Either BABA is falling apart at the seems, or I can start scaling in and look back in 3 years and say it was a very smart move. 

Really, looking for some capitulation, and I'll take my first position here. This company is basically Amazon of China and they're getting taken to the woodshed. 

fantasycurse42 said:
Think he's just referring to funds (hedge, asset managers, etc.)

I see people starting to freak out, which is comical, we're about 2-5% off all-time highs, depending on the index. Love to hear what these people say if we ever hit a bear market. 

Like most dips, I assume this one will also be bought at some point. If we continue the slide into the midterms, I think we'll get some announcement of a meeting with China to discuss trade... It'll be bull#### to prop the market before the votes, that'll be the pop you want to exit on, IMO. 
Well, if that's the case he's wrong- hedge, asset managers clearly aren't in risk on mode right now (it could change at any moment), but I'll wait for his answer, thanks.

Your last paragraph doesn't really have any substance- of course we aren't going to go down forever, but that doesn't mean that we won't be lower than where we are now (or were a week ago) after any "pop".

Bossman said:

come to Papa :rubshandstogether:

1820's today. Not wanting to "catch the knife" so we'll wait to see where this settles before buying more.

Little disappointed that I jumped at 1865 but was only 10 shares so ... load not blown.

I can't imagine amzn back in the 1700's but another day like this and we're there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Either BABA is falling apart at the seems, or I can start scaling in and look back in 3 years and say it was a very smart move. 

Really, looking for some capitulation, and I'll take my first position here. This company is basically Amazon of China and they're getting taken to the woodshed. 
Glad I didn’t jump back in yet. I just had a feeling the little upswing on Monday was just a bounce off lows and that it’ll keep dropping. I just wish I knew when to jump back in.

1820's today. Not wanting to "catch the knife" so we'll see where this settles.

Little disappointed that I jumped at 1865 but was only 10 shares so ... load not blown.

I can't imagine amzn back in the 1700's but another day like this and we're there.
It was in the 1700's a little over 2 months ago- it could drop another 200 points from there and still be up ~35% on the year.

Mystery Achiever said:
I use them for transcripts, also, and occasionally for analysis/opinion on small stocks that have little available info elsewhere. I'm not sure what kind of vetting they do for contributors.
According to his bio he is an editor. 

Well, if that's the case he's wrong- hedge, asset managers clearly aren't in risk on mode right now (it could change at any moment), but I'll wait for his answer, thanks.

Your last paragraph doesn't really have any substance- of course we aren't going to go down forever, but that doesn't mean that we won't be lower than where we are now (or were a week ago) after any "pop".
dip ≠ crash

Mystery Achiever said:
There are some folks there that do a great job on market indicator analysis.  I get ideas for stocks there, but generally don't base buying decisions on stuff in there.

1820's today. Not wanting to "catch the knife" so we'll wait to see where this settles before buying more.

I didn't wait - bought some at 1800.

Sold more than half my portfolio 2-3 months ago. Pared down some stocks a couple of weeks ago and a little more today and done selling.  Now just looking to see where this ends up to start buying again.

So, stupid or not stupid...

My main REIT, OHI, has progressed nicely these last few months. Today it was up another 1.5% while everything else took a dump.

So I sold it and bought BRK-B, which dropped 3.5%. Part of my thinking is the company has a good amount in cash, and if the market keeps dropping it's only a matter of time before the brain trust finds worthy investments.

I could have put it in VTI or just kept it out of the market entirely, I probably would have just bought t bills if I wanted to be conservative.

This is only my play money, less than 3% of our portfolio. 

Really trying to keep from selling stock and buying bonds right now.

The Morgan Stanley analyst who predicted rolling bear markets is looking like a genius right now. He said tech was on deck, Nasdaq is down about 5% this month, seems like a brilliant call, for the time being.

https://www.investopedia.com/news/rolling-bear-market-will-paralyze-stocks-years-morgan-stanley/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-30/morgan-stanley-says-rolling-bear-market-looms-for-growth-shares
Meh, he doesn't know ####. Everyone's made a million calls over the past few years someone is going to be the blind squirrel that gets the nut. 2 guys to listen to and do the opposite haven't come out from under their rocks yet. When Schiff and Marc Faber say the end is upon us, the bottom is in. Other than that, Elliott Waves tell what's going to happen. Sold yesterday after reading Avi Gilburt's latest, on the 8th, saying if we breach 2880 look out below.

Look out below.

Meh, he doesn't know ####. Everyone's made a million calls over the past few years someone is going to be the blind squirrel that gets the nut. 2 guys to listen to and do the opposite haven't come out from under their rocks yet. When Schiff and Marc Faber say the end is upon us, the bottom is in. Other than that, Elliott Waves tell what's going to happen. Sold yesterday after reading Avi Gilburt's latest, on the 8th, saying if we breach 2880 look out below.

Look out below.
You gotta be kidding, a rolling bear market, guy ####### nailed it, and that is not an easy call to make - prob the best call I've read of any bearish analyst in years. This guy has been bullish up until this year. Credit when due. 

F me.

not looking forward to checking my account balances tomorrow. 
I burned money in the last couple days, for sure.  I have timing, that's for sure.  Though the AMZN timing is probably ok - that's small potatoes, though.

You gotta be kidding, a rolling bear market, guy ####### nailed it, and that is not an easy call to make - prob the best call I've read of any bearish analyst in years. This guy has been bullish up until this year. Credit when due. 
Avi Gilburt has nailed the market since 2009's bottom. This guy made one call. So did abbey cohen. Someone's gonna be the lucky guy to make the call at the right time.

Users who are viewing this thread