What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

In this thread I rank my favorite Beatles songs: 204-1. (2 Viewers)

ANNOUNCE:

I realized I had not been consistent with my capitalization of song titles, so henceforth I will simply Initial Cap every word in a title.  Because I'm me, I've also gone back and edited every title in post #1 to be consistent with this new approach.   :bag:

ANNOUNCE 2:

We have 10 more songs that won't be in my top 50 but are on at least one person's top 25 list.  Apologies in advance.   :(  

Feels like you might be giving too much away with posts like this, but it's up to you. ;)  
I debated this a few times in my head.   People still have no clue where it might rank though on my list.    Just pointing out that this great song was still only xx amount of lists.

I debated this a few times in my head.   People still have no clue where it might rank though on my list.    Just pointing out that this great song was still only xx amount of lists.
Yeah, I don't feel strongly either way; I still enjoy the geeky numbers posts.  Based on the number of people :cry:  about this one, I would have thought it was on every list were it not for your post.  I think we just heard from every person who had it on their list.   :)  

Yeah, I don't feel strongly either way; I still enjoy the geeky numbers posts.  Based on the number of people :cry:  about this one, I would have thought it was on every list were it not for your post.  I think we just heard from every person who had it on their list.   :)  
I think that might be a given til we get down to your 25.  Especially Binky!!!

So I spent the day on an island you can only get to by boat or helicopter, played with the kids for awhile, totally spent way too much time looking at my wife on "that way," and just got back to the rental with her telling me to go grab a cigar and a drink and relax...... and I search out this thread to see where we are while enjoying perfect weather and a great cigar.

This whole idea was just seriously impressive. Oh, and look at that... Let it Be just came on.

Good job @krista4.  Seriously.  This probably a top 10 FFA thread of all time.

Last edited by a moderator:
61.  Got To Get You Into My Life (Revolver, 1966)

Beatles version:  Spotify  YouTube

There's Motown and there's Stax, and I'm Stax.  I love the horns, but they aren't Stax horns; with Memphis horns I'd rank it even higher.  The expansive jazzy feel of this song is phenomenal, though I wish they'd punched up the sound of the drums more in the mix.  I'm a huge fan of Paul's vocal throughout - he hits everything with extraordinary feeling - but I especially love the grittiness he gives to the chorus.  Geoff Emerick said that there was so much excitement for Paul's vocal that at one point during the recording John burst out of the control room to shout his encouragement.  George's guitar makes a brief but memorable appearance starting with the third chorus that punches everything up even more.  By the finish, the energy is off the charts. 

I always liked the lyrics to this and was disappointed to find that Paul wrote this as an ode to pot.  As an urgent plea to a lover, I like it better.

Mr. krista:  "Of course I like it.  It’s a big brassy Motown song, but still so British.  An American would never do the [singing] “I didn’t know what I would find theeere.”  Reminds me of all the good 70s theme songs.  Like Good Times.  Reminds me of the Good Times theme song.  Would be a great theme song for a comedy in the 70s that featured black people."

Suggested cover:  I didn't look for any others.   :shrug:  Earth, Wind & Fire

So I spent the day on an island you can only get to by boat or helicopter, played with the kids for awhile, totally spent way too much time looking at my wife on "that way," and just got back to the rental with her telling me to go grab a cigar and a drink and relax...... and I search out this thread to see where we are while enjoying perfect weather and a great cigar.

This whole idea was just seriously impressive. Oh, and look at that... Let it Be just came on.

Good job @krista4.  Seriously.  This probably a top 10 FFA thread of all time.
I wanna be wherever you are; it sounds glorious.  Thanks for such amazingly kind words.  

In @Dr. Octopus's defense, he did not submit a list of my top 10, but instead used his own top 10 favorites and just chose one of those.

1. simey – Abbey Road medley
  2. Mister CIA – She Said She Said
  3. timschochet – Paperback Writer
  4. pecorino – Hey Jude
  5. Binky the Doormat – In My Life
  6. wikkidpissah – Taxman
  7. Dr. Octopus – Got To Get You Into My Life
  8. Nigel Tufnel – You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away
  9. Uruk-Hai – Ticket to Ride
  10. Dinsy Ejotuz – Let It Be
  11. Tom Hagen – Eleanor Rigby
  12. Spock – Rain
  13. Leroy Hoard – A Day in the Life
  14. rockaction  - I Want to Hold Your Hand
  15. Ted Lange as Your Bartender – In My Life
  16. shuke – Abbey Road medley
  17. Alex P Keaton – Something
  18. Getzlaf15 – With A Little Help From My Friends
  19. zamboni – While My Guitar Gently Weeps
  20. neal cassady – I Am the Walrus
  21. Shaft41 – Hey Bulldog
  22. Ilov80s – Norwegian Wood
  23. Officer Pete Malloy – I Want to Hold Your Hand
  24. Godsbrother – Dear Prudence
  25. ManofSteelhead – Eleanor Rigby
  26. mike9289 – I’m Looking Through You
  27. heckmanm: Eleanor Rigby
  28. Atomic Punk – A Day in the Life
  29. [Mrs. Punk – In My Life]
  30. bananafish – Abbey Road medley
  31. bonzai – Abbey Road medley
  32. fatguy – Here Comes the Sun
  33. ScottNorwood- Yesterday
  34. Sebowski - I'm So Tired

@Sebowski, I added your guess that you don't remember making.   :lol:   It was after the deadline I'd established, so if you win, I will also award the $100 charitable donation to 2nd place.

60.  Got To Get You Into My Life (Revolver, 1966)

There's Motown and there's Stax, and I'm Stax.  I love the horns, but they aren't Stax horns; with Memphis horns I'd rank it even higher.  The expansive jazzy feel of this song is phenomenal, though I wish they'd punched up the sound of the drums more in the mix.  I'm a huge fan of Paul's vocal throughout - he hits everything with extraordinary feeling - but I especially love the grittiness he gives to the chorus.  Geoff Emerick said that there was so much excitement for Paul's vocal that at one point during the recording John burst out of the control room to shout his encouragement.  George's guitar makes a brief but memorable appearance starting with the third chorus that punches everything up even more.  By the finish, the energy is off the charts. 

I always liked the lyrics to this and was disappointed to find that Paul wrote this as an ode to pot.  As an urgent plea to a lover, I like it better.

Mr. krista:  "Of course I like it.  It’s a big brassy Motown song, but still so British.  An American would never do the [singing] “I didn’t know what I would find theeere.”  Reminds me of all the good 70s theme songs.  Like Good Times.  Reminds me of the Good Times theme song.  Would be a great theme song for a comedy in the 70s that featured black people."

Noooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love everything about this song and put it down as my favorite. I love horns. I love the tease at the end that leaves me wanting an extended solo there. But mostly for some reason the change in pitch at the end of each line just makes me happy.

I do agree that is a better song about the being excited about the “ thrill of the chase” than about pot.

60.  Got To Get You Into My Life (Revolver, 1966)

Nor should you have. One of the few situations where I might like the cover better than the original. I go back and forth on this one. The original went to #7 on the Billboard Hot 100, the EWF cover made it to #9 on the Billboard Hot 100. Great tune either way.

Reading more about the original, it's said that this is the first Beatles recording to use a horn section. I did not know that.

Sorry, Binks and others.

60.  Things We Said Today (A Hard Day's Night, 1964)

From that first triple-strum on John's guitar, this song anticipates pulling you into its melancholy, slightly eerie mood.  That state of mind is enhanced by the slightly flat harmonies and yearning lyrics; here Paul is describing what he called "future nostalgia," picturing a time in the future when he and Jane Asher - or any couple, actually - would look back at the feelings they're experiencing right now.  Although I've stated my position as firmly anti-nostalgia, this wistful future nostalgia has a depth and complexity that charms me.  Just as the song lulls you into this tranquil, pensive state, though, it changes from the minor key into a major key for that bridge, suddenly imbuing the song with an optimism and urgency not present in the verses.  Just when it builds to a turbulence that sounds on the verge of breaking, the song dramatically shifts back into the minor key for another calming verse.  After a repeat of the bridge and verse, it then trails off into the ether...  That song structure is familiar, but those changes and chords are not, and they're brilliant.  And Paul gives a typically outstanding vocal performance as well, with some guitar support from John that, while not complex, is fundamental to the structure of the song.

We've discussed some other songs with these major-minor switches, usually from an optimistic Paul "major" section to a downbeat John "minor" section.  In this case, Paul manages all of it himself, taking us through his emotions in a way that to me is preferable to some of his "made-up people" songs.  It's dazzling.

Mr. krista:  "It’s dreamy.  I liked the dark, folky-sounding, creepy Peter Paul & Mary thing. Isn't this The Hollies's 'Bus Stop'?  [plays song]  Yeah."  [Editor's note:  "Bus Stop" was released after this song.]

Suggested cover:  I screened covers from everyone from Iggy Pop to Dwight Yoakam to Heart to Nanci Griffith and more, and I didn't like any of them.

Lucy in the Sky and We Can Work It Out were both in my top 25.  As Krista has pointed out we all have different tastes.....

We Can Work It Out is another of those pure Beatles songs.  It just screams Beatles. 

Got To Get You Into My Life just missed my top 25.   It has such wonderfully smooth vocals overtop of the choppy-at-times music and then has the gritty vocals too at times.  Cannot wait to see Krista's top 50. 

Sorry, Binks and others.

59.  Things We Said Today (A Hard Day's Night, 1964)

From that first triple-strum on John's guitar, this song anticipates pulling you into its melancholy, slightly eerie mood.

Suggested cover:  I screened covers from everyone from Iggy Pop to Dwight Yoakam to Heart to Nanci Griffith and more, and I didn't like any of them.
I'm too scared to even think of listening to Iggy Pop 's version of this song.

Sorry, Binks and others.

59.  Things We Said Today (A Hard Day's Night, 1964)

From that first triple-strum on John's guitar, this song anticipates pulling you into its melancholy, slightly eerie mood.  That state of mind is enhanced by the slightly flat harmonies and yearning lyrics; here Paul is describing what he called "future nostalgia," picturing a time in the future when he and Jane Asher - or any couple, actually - would look back at the feelings they're experiencing right now.  Although I've stated my position as firmly anti-nostalgia, this wistful future nostalgia has a depth and complexity that charms me.  Just as the song lulls you into this tranquil, pensive state, though, it changes from the minor key into a major key for that bridge, suddenly imbuing the song with an optimism and urgency not present in the verses.  Just when it builds to a turbulence that sounds on the verge of breaking, the song dramatically shifts back into the minor key for another calming verse.  After a repeat of the bridge and verse, it then trails off into the ether...  That song structure is familiar, but those changes and chords are not, and they're brilliant.  And Paul gives a typically outstanding vocal performance as well, with some guitar support from John that, while not complex, is fundamental to the structure of the song.

We've discussed some other songs with these major-minor switches, usually from an optimistic Paul "major" section to a downbeat John "minor" section.  In this case, Paul manages all of it himself, taking us through his emotions in a way that to me is preferable to some of his "made-up people" songs.  It's dazzling.

Mr. krista:  "It’s dreamy.  I liked the dark, folky-sounding, creepy Peter Paul & Mary thing. Isn't this The Hollies's 'Bus Stop'?  [plays song]  Yeah."  [Editor's note:  "Bus Stop" was released after this song.]

my eyes just rolled back into my head - THIS ISN'T FUNNY GAWDDAMMIT!!!!

My Mom turned 73 today.  She was part of Beatlemania and is still a huge fan of the Beatles.  I have literally been listening to the Beatles since I was born and can remember listening to Beatles records with Mom as a little kid.  We listened to the early records like Meet the Beatles, With the Beatles, Please, Please Me.  

She has often told me that there has never been anything like the Beatles and never will be.  Even she was caught up in Beatlemania and drove to a nearby airport with her cousin just so they could get a glimpse of the Beatles and scream like the girls did when the fab four made an appearance.  She was always an extremely quiet, reserved little woman so it has always been really difficult for me to picture her acting like a silly teenaged girl.  I'm a middle Beatles fan but always smile when I hear an early Beatles song since that is what started it all. 

My siblings and I all love the Beatles and big music fans in general.  My sister is a music teacher.  My brother and I both played in bands for years.  I am working on forming an acoustic outfit as we speak.  Mom loved to roll her eyes at my brother and me when we were going to yet another concert but I always said she started it all.   

Thank you Krista for this thread and dedication to the Beatles.   

(For the record, I called Mom and wished her a happy birthday and sent her flowers today.  I should have got her another Beatles item!) 

She's just a very mean person. Especially if your name is Paul or Tim.
Or Binky.

Lucy in the Sky and We Can Work It Out were both in my top 25.  As Krista has pointed out we all have different tastes.....

We Can Work It Out is another of those pure Beatles songs.  It just screams Beatles. 

Got To Get You Into My Life just missed my top 25.   It has such wonderfully smooth vocals overtop of the choppy-at-times music and then has the gritty vocals too at times.  Cannot wait to see Krista's top 50. 
My first thought on your post was, wow, someone who likes Lucy that much also likes We Can Work It Out, and that is surprising.  But then I realized I had them ranked next to each other so am in the same boat.   :bag:

It's been fun to see different people's taste here, but while some can be predicted a bit, I don't find yours predictable.  The same will probably be said of me, especially when we get to the top 12, which I think is pretty varied.  It continues to be a testament to how well the Beatles could do pretty much every genre of music, including some they invented themselves.

Nothing has truly cut me to the bone yet but it’s comin’. Oh boy it’s comin’. 
Send me your top 10, and I'll do my best.  

My Mom turned 73 today.  She was part of Beatlemania and is still a huge fan of the Beatles.  I have literally been listening to the Beatles since I was born and can remember listening to Beatles records with Mom as a little kid.  We listened to the early records like Meet the Beatles, With the Beatles, Please, Please Me.  

She has often told me that there has never been anything like the Beatles and never will be.  Even she was caught up in Beatlemania and drove to a nearby airport with her cousin just so they could get a glimpse of the Beatles and scream like the girls did when the fab four made an appearance.  She was always an extremely quiet, reserved little woman so it has always been really difficult for me to picture her acting like a silly teenaged girl.  I'm a middle Beatles fan but always smile when I hear an early Beatles song since that is what started it all. 

My siblings and I all love the Beatles and big music fans in general.  My sister is a music teacher.  My brother and I both played in bands for years.  I am working on forming an acoustic outfit as we speak.  Mom loved to roll her eyes at my brother and me when we were going to yet another concert but I always said she started it all.   

Thank you Krista for this thread and dedication to the Beatles.   

(For the record, I called Mom and wished her a happy birthday and sent her flowers today.  I should have got her another Beatles item!) 
Oh wow, whoever does the ranking of best posts in this thread needs to keep this one close.  That is lovely.  Happy birthday, mom!  She must love how inspired all her children are by music.

I'd expect my list would be different if I had shared experiences with these songs, like people who were there for it all do or people who listened with their parents later would.  I don't even have stuff like the people who had "In My Life" or "Here, There and Everywhere" at their weddings or their kids' weddings.  As it is, I have no shared emotional connection to any of their songs, which bums me out a little.

krista4 said:
ANNOUNCE:

I realized I had not been consistent with my capitalization of song titles, so henceforth I will simply Initial Cap every word in a title.  Because I'm me, I've also gone back and edited every title in post #1 to be consistent with this new approach.   :bag:
Are you recapitalizing the individual song posts tomorrow?

what is this?

ETA: wait, these are guesses on K4's #1? I didn't participate / missed the deadline.

Oh wow, whoever does the ranking of best posts in this thread needs to keep this one close.  That is lovely.  Happy birthday, mom!  She must love how inspired all her children are by music.

I'd expect my list would be different if I had shared experiences with these songs, like people who were there for it all do or people who listened with their parents later would.  I don't even have stuff like the people who had "In My Life" or "Here, There and Everywhere" at their weddings or their kids' weddings.  As it is, I have no shared emotional connection to any of their songs, which bums me out a little.
Well, if it makes you feel any better, early Beatles is my least favorite of their work!   I still love early Beatles but I'm a middle Beatles guy without a doubt.   

62.  We Can Work It Out

61.  Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds

60.  Got To Get You Into My Life
For the umpteenth time, thanks for doing this thread K4. The rankings are somewhat meaningless at this point because everything from here on out is a Top 25 for someone (think I had these three at sumtin like 51/46/38), but the whole catalogue is truly amazin'. Super fun to follow along and especially love everyone chiming in why that song you just murdered meant so much to them.

nobody cares but that should have read 51/38/46

59.  You're Going To Lose That Girl (Help!, 1965)

This is one of the song that shoots up a squillion slots in the rankings just because I can sing the harmonies, or more specifically the "response" on the call-and-response.  Oh, and it has call-and-response, in case that wasn't clear from the first sentence!  And there are bongos!  Bongos!  The fact that they're slightly off the beat makes them even better.

I shouldn't purposefully make the song seem slight just because of these items (but have I mention I can sing it and there are bongos???).  It's a great song with interesting structure and fantastic harmonies.  The key change from the verse to the bridge, and the transition to the bridge by holding that "looooo-se," bleeding the two parts together, are gorgeous and compelling.  John seems to have no trouble hitting those high notes in falsetto, and his variation in volume, almost to a whisper, at the beginning of the third verse shows a less aggressive touch that's fascinating in the overall tone of the song.  George's guitar twangs give the piece a nice texture.  To me, though, the real beauty is in Paul and George's harmonies both with John and in the responses.  This would be high on my list of "favorite Beatles harmonies."  

Also, bongos.  

Mr. krista:  [while I'm singing at the top of my lungs] "One thing is for sure, that song is hard as hell to get out of one’s head.  Another thing, while I enjoy that song, and millions of people love it, none of them love it as much as my wife does."

Suggested cover:  Nooooooooooooone!

58.  You're Going To Lose That Girl (Help!, 1965)

This is one of the song that shoots up a squillion slots in the rankings just because I can sing the harmonies, or more specifically the "response" on the call-and-response.  Oh, and it has call-and-response, in case that wasn't clear from the first sentence!  And there are bongos!  Bongos!  The fact that they're slightly off the beat makes them even better.

I shouldn't purposefully make the song seem slight just because of these items (but have I mention I can sing it and there are bongos???).  It's a great song with interesting structure and fantastic harmonies.  The key change from the verse to the bridge, and the transition to the bridge by holding that "looooo-se," bleeding the two parts together, are gorgeous and compelling.  John seems to have no trouble hitting those high notes in falsetto, and his variation in volume, almost to a whisper, at the beginning of the third verse shows a less aggressive touch that's fascinating in the overall tone of the song.  George's guitar twangs give the piece a nice texture.  To me, though, the real beauty is in Paul and George's harmonies both with John and in the responses.  This would be high on my list of "favorite Beatles harmonies."  

Also, bongos.  

Mr. krista:  [while I'm singing at the top of my lungs] "One thing is for sure, that song is hard as hell to get out of one’s head.  Another thing, while I enjoy that song, and millions of people love it, none of them love it as much as my wife does."

Suggested cover:  Nooooooooooooone!
finally a quiet respite from the hellfire.  

My top 10 consists of one song from Help!, two songs from Rubber Soul, two songs from Revolver, one song from Sgt. Pepper’s, one song from the White Album, one song from Abbey Road, one song from Let It Be, and one single.  Feel free to wager.
:popcorn:

I might do a K4 Top Ten now that I have clues

HAVE YOU NOT BEEN READING THE POSTS ALL THE WAY THROUGH??!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread