What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

5-10-15-20 "Music of Our Lives" Draft - Round 14 (1 Viewer)

Would've loved to see this - evidently I was obsessed with this song, played it on a loop, had the poster somehow (was there one included in the album sleeve maybe?), and used my fake badge and pop gun to attempt to dress up as one of them as I sang along.  :oldunsure:   Hopefully I didn't have a fake mustache.  

Round 1:  The Village People - In the Navy
It's probably not my place to say this, but I declare you the winner of this round.

The no spotlighting rules (that I admittedly have been the one being a moderate hard ### about) might put a damper on italic lyrics here in the early going :kicksrock:

The no spotlighting rules (that I admittedly have been the one being a moderate hard ### about) might put a damper on italic lyrics here in the early going :kicksrock:
I mean is anyone here going to post some Bob Dylan lyrics and thus cause someone else's 15 year old self to buy Blonde on Blonde? I think italic lyrics are very much fair game here. 

Playlist and spreadsheet up to date to here.  I'm okay lightening up on the no spotlighting thing if people aren't concerned about it, anyone else have thoughts either way?

Skinnamarinky dinky dink
Skinnamarinky do,
I love you!

I love you in the morning,
And in the afternoon
I love you in the evening,
Underneath the moon…

----

doesn't have quite the right ring to it.

For people who have been around the music threads here way too long (2008), I stumbled across this archived thread - some funny moments in there. I won't spotlight but I arrive about 1/3 of the way through and write several love levels to an album that may or may not currently be my avatar. @Steve Tasker arrives late in the thread with an opening line of "Is this the illegal file-sharing thread?" :lmao:  and then a page or two later seems to be the first one here to discover a certain female from Texas who then largely dominates that next decade of indie rock.  Oh and there are lots and lots of emedded Youtube videos and lots of not at all clever or discrete references to the Hoof, which I assume is what ultimately killed that thread.

Lots of @The Dreaded Marco liking the albums we associate with him ;)

Lots of KP, @Bonzai casually mentions opening for Okkervil River then no one really ever presses him on it :lol: .. I assume some of those aliases are JZilla (Dought Man?)  :oldunsure:

FBGmusic thread oldtimers - Uncle Humuna, piratemike and drpill

Lots of Finless early on too (R.I.P. :(  )

Last edited by a moderator:
For people who have been around the music threads here way too long (2008), I stumbled across this archived thread - some funny moments in there. I won't spotlight but I arrive about 1/3 of the way through and write several love levels to an album that may or may not currently be my avatar. @Steve Tasker arrives late in the thread with an opening line of "Is this the illegal file-sharing thread?" :lmao:  and then a page or two later seems to be the first one here to discover a certain female from Texas who then largely dominates that next decade of indie rock.  Oh and there are lots and lots of emedded Youtube videos and lots of not at all clever or discrete references to the Hoof, which I assume is what ultimately killed that thread.

Lots of KP, @Bonzai casually mentions opening for Okkervil River then no one really ever presses him on it :lol: .. I assume some of those aliases are JZilla (Dought Man?)  :oldunsure:

Looks like a real #### thread- not a single post there got even 1 like. 

Great thread.

I miss the old regulars that have either stopped posting in music threads or have left the board altogether.... :kicksrock:

:lol:

Looks like a bit of me courting Jdogg then turning on him for dissing Dan Auerbach.  

Ilov80s said:
I mean is anyone here going to post some Bob Dylan lyrics and thus cause someone else's 15 year old self to buy Blonde on Blonde? I think italic lyrics are very much fair game here. 
Best way to avoid spotlighting Dylan lyrics is to write them out the way they sound on record. 

Daily clock starts at 10 eastern/7 Pacific. I've got a great one lined up for today. 

Today's category is 5 years old - albums

I know I wrote something up about that Okkervil River show. I guess I posted something over at the hoof and then didn't end up posting anything over here. I remember our singer went to the Reds game before the show and got super ripped. Puking in the bathroom before the show ripped. He pulled it together, though. Fun show from what I recall. I remember them being nice guys. 

I grew up in Brooklyn. I moved to the burbs when I was in 5th grade. My Aunt and Uncle moved there much earlier and it was about 1.5 hours away over the GW bridge.

So when we went, my dad would throw in cassette tapes of albums that he had made. Some would be mix tapes, like the Motown one with the Temptations, 4 tops and Supremes and others would be full albums. There are 2 full albums that stand out in my mind. 

I am really having a hard time picking since both are great albums and to this day, I remember being in that car singing the songs. Ive settled on this one, because it influenced me enough that I sung one of the tunes during a class talent show in 3rd grade. So I was about 7.

Harry Chapin- Greatest Hits Live

If I have to pick a song for the spotify list, lets go with Taxi

5 - album: Free to Be...You and Me - Marlo Thomas and Friends

Schmaltzy as hell, but I wasn't exactly discriminating back then and the album was ubiquitous. To be fair, there were some catchy tunes and the album was WAY ahead of its time. Plus, if weepy Rosey Grier doesn't affect you, I can't help you.
I was 8 when the show aired, so my actual memories of it are sketchy, but I do overall remember enjoying it and agreeing with what I thought they were trying to say.

Also, your choice is a nice segue into mine: the soundtrack to the movie Born Free.  The title track was one of the two I mentioned in my song pick, that I supposedly had to hear over and over before I would go to sleep as a baby/toddler, but it was the only album attached to that part of my childhood, so there it is.  Plus, it contains a bonus track; the other song I had to hear over and over, Downtown by Petula Clark. Sorry if this borders on spotlighting but I felt it right to slip this in as both songs belong on the soundtrack of my life, even if I don't remember listening to them.

This one is an absolute no brainer for me. My first music obsession. I have always been a bit of a music "collector", CD's during the 90s, mp3 folders in the 00s, even some vinyl now but first was cassette tapes and I had all six cassettes this guy released from 1980-1991. He was also the first musician I talked music about as well - with my cousin at the time who was the same age as me and equally fanatic

And these songs were massive hits. It's not exaggerating to say 9 out of 10 songs on this album are still staples of Canadian classic rock (sorry 'Ain't Gonna Cry'). Obviously, the big one was 'Summer of '69' and  that would have been my pick last round if I didn't know I was taking the album here. 5 year old me didn't know about any other meaning of 69 at the time - I can remember my uncle saying Bryan Adams didn't either :lol: . Something from this album ('Run to You', 'Heaven', 'Somebody', It's Only Love', 'Kids Wanna Rock' etc...) was probably played on the radio once an hour and that repetition is big in a 5 year old and probably a big factor here. Anyway, most of these songs still hold up and are awesome, don't @ me 

Age 5 Album - Reckless - Bryan Adams

Age 5 album - Tapestry - Carole King - song - It's Too Late

I was born in Jan '66, and would have been 5 in '71. I picked the Tapestry album, because mom played the album constantly when it came out, and it was a "parental" album that I enjoyed listening to. She is also a piano player, and she would try to play along with some of the songs, especially "It's Too Late." The album remains one of my favorites. 

5 Years Old - Album: "50,000,000 Elvis Fans Can't Be Wrong" 

This will be my only "out of time" selection. A lot of great, groundbreaking albums came out in 1967. I didn't own any of 'em. My mom had plenty of LPs, though. 

This had to be the one my brother and I listened to most, by far, in those days. It's a greatest hits album consisting of Elvis' late '50s stuff. We thought some of the songs were funny as hell, mostly because of the way Elvis sang them - stuff like "One Night With You" and "Wear My Ring Around Your Neck". 

The link above is to the full album. 

Sample: "A Big Hunk Of Love"

Come to think of it, it's surprising that I had time for Star Wars action figures with all the the dressing up as a Village Person going on.   Maybe I rocked a lightsaber dressed as a beefy mustachioed police officer?? 

Age 5-ish album:  Stevie Wonder - Talking Book

Another no-brainer here.  Stevie was definitely my mom's favorite artist and she played this album incessantly when I was this age, not to mention hearing it all over the radio.  I still have and play her vinyl copy.

A week or two before she died (she wasn't verbal by that point) I put together a playlist of her favorite songs to play at her bedside, including a few from this album.

As for the Spotify single, gotta go with side 1, track 1 because it's the one I most associate with her at that time.

Age 5 Album: Oliver! Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

young otb was in the local parish production of this back in '74 ... was a pretty big "to do", and i was damn stoked to land a role as one of the Artful Dodger's street urchins. 

we (the cast) were treated to viewings of the flick (which came out in '68) over in the school's auditorium. 

loved the Artful Dodger, and was pretty taken with Fagan, as well ... there was a Dickensian feel to our 'hood around that time, which always had a bit of a ramshackle feel to begin with ... that was exacerbated on the count of cutbacks to garbage collection and policing and street cleaning due to the City's financial crisis and all, so, yeah ... we fancied ourselves right lil' buggers. 

"Please, sir ... may i have some more?"  dayyyyummm, did i fixate on that part of the flick a bit too much - we always had enough, but never any more than that - i sympathized with the kid, if not downright felt a kinship ... he wasn't as colorful or charasmatic as the Dodger and his crew, but i related, nonetheless (though i wouldn't admit it to my friends, who considered him to be a slang word for British cigarettes) - tough ####in' room for a 5 year old  :shrug:

this was our big number - and all the crowd swooned over Bobby Kelly and Emilio DiPaolo, who were Oliver and the Dodger, respectively ... we did a bang up job, and i sang my ### off, though kinda outta key and slightly anxious at having Michelle Calabro and Barbara Hennesey flanking me.  they smelled so much nicer than i did ... wtf?  

5yo Album: Ella and Louis (1956) - Louis Armstrong & Ella Fitzgerald

This could take a while. I simply dont know which was more important - the record itself, the household in which it played for years & years or the impact it all had on your humble servant.

Lennon & McCartney. Diz & Bird. Jagger & Richard. Miles & Trane. Four creative juggernauts who've never been in my kitchen, yes, but also all duos who had less standing & joy in the creation of music than Pops and Miss Ella. Others may have understood more about the when, where & how of music (tho i'm not stipulating that), but THIS is the why. You wanna understand the elements which make us make such a fuss over what comes into our ears & mind, it's right here. The notes, the foundation, the guesses at immortal moments, the joy. 

Now a moment for the couple who played it ALL the time. Me Da was Atlas - pulling a full credit load @ UVM, working fulltime in the freezers at Sealtest Ice Cream, research fellowship  & AT work, raising two kids and still helping on his invalid father's farm, all the while a smile. Me Ma's relentless shanty-Irish pursuit of household perfection, loving me & sis but still wishing she could have us laminated in case company came over, always mad that she wasn't doing more. Music is where they split the difference - Da would sweep into the room with this or Glenn Miller on the hifi and kidnap me Ma from her apron-bound world for three spins round the living room floor. 500 pounds between them, but a dozen jitterbug trophies on the shelves, a sight to behold.

I was a performing seal for the first ten years of my life and it began in earnest by being able to sing like Satchmo from the time i was four. Werent a family or social, occasion or gathering where i wasnt out front doing Up a Lazy River or Jeepers Creepers at some point and, when Hello Dolly became a hit....oy gevalt.

But i knew where all the notes lived. Ella and Pops taught me where all the notes lived, where they could have gone as much as where they went. And that's why, with no training, playing ability or special skill, i've been able to talk music & process its making with some of the great talents of my time and musicians at every level.

Best example was my ol' pal Natman. I was dating a Reno lounge singer (ETA: we have a son who turns 23 tomorrow), dealing with a lot of "why him?!" from jealous & far more attractive players, including this one cat who looked like Louis Gossett and played like Jimi Hendrix. Kathy & i had done a coupla weddings together (the first time i'd performed publicly since an incident when i was 10 which gave me lifelong stagefright) at the request of friends and she was making a fuss about it to musician friends at the weekly Blues Jam night at the local players' favorite club who were all rightfully BFD about my meager offerings. I was sitting at the bar trying to disappear into a glass. This Nat comes sits next to me and chats me up trying figure out what i got that his Kathy wants. Wasted me counters by asking if, since his name was Nat but he looked like Scatman Crothers could i call him Natman. It almost turned into a "What about you?! Yeah, what about YOU?!" thang but i poured myself back into my glass cuz fighting w her friends might blow it w Kathy.

Well, it's all gotta come out somewhere.. After the mindfire of another bathroom line, i came out to the jam band doing kind of a jazzy thing. Sat at my stool and the scatting ghosts of Ella & Pops come up in me, so i start scatting along to the tune. Natman was within earshot and heard a few minutes of this apparently. I'm sitting there, he turns me around, i figure he's gonna swing on me, but he asks, "Where'd you learn to sing like that?" Told him i been singing like Satchmo since i was 4yo. He says he never heard a white man hit the notes likat, asks if i can do it onstage. "If Kathy's up there so i dont get the sweats, yeah". Dont remember the tune (cocaine, cognac and dares are powerful drugs) but, at the breakdown, i scatted for a half dozen choruses from a place inside me far past the performing seal, the peeps cutting the rug or anything else, back to an ancient place Pops & Ella had suggested and it was more powerful than all the other stimulants combined. I was Natman's Robin from then on, our duet of Bonnie Raitt's "Love Sneaking Up on You" was the best i've ever performed anything anywhere and we had a moment around me freestyling ten minutes "Hey Joe" in a mindless C&C haze i've told about before which Natman said was the greatest experience he ever had onstage. That's where music lives. nufced

ETA: check out the band personnel on this - Oscar Peterson on piano, Herb Ellis, Ray Brown, Buddy Rich

Another no-brainer here.  Stevie was definitely my mom's favorite artist and she played this album incessantly when I was this age, not to mention hearing it all over the radio.  I still have and play her vinyl copy.

A week or two before she died (she wasn't verbal by that point) I put together a playlist of her favorite songs to play at her bedside, including a few from this album.

As for the Spotify single, gotta go with side 1, track 1 because it's the one I most associate with her at that time.
That's where music lives, too

I notice no one is following the spotify playlist, I think I won't bother with it, if people are just as happy to listen to linked songs/youtubes in here.

This was on my short list for my Age 10 Album

Nice choice!

Not much of a choice for me it's either the white album or Abbey Road.  I'm pretty sure the record sleeve posters of each guy's face, that adorned my wall, they were from this one, John was the only one clean shaven IIRC.. I could be wrong

Wish I could go outside the box a bit but no can do, Blackbird-Piggies-Rocky was really my #### at this age

5yo.album The Beatles - The Beatles

It is I, the Great Spotlighter.
I had.

Forgotten. 

lol. They are my twenty-five year old band, but this isn't really a spotlighting draft for me. It's definitely a "what were you listening to?" draft. I'll still respect NV's rules.

I got sniped on Marlo Thomas. I should know better, but I never thought that would happen. At all. 

5 - album: Free to Be...You and Me - Marlo Thomas and Friends

Schmaltzy as hell, but I wasn't exactly discriminating back then and the album was ubiquitous. To be fair, there were some catchy tunes and the album was WAY ahead of its time. Plus, if weepy Rosey Grier doesn't affect you, I can't help you.
How did I get sniped for five year-old album? That's awesome. What an incredible record. Whenever somebody has a pie-in-the-sky idea about social mores and folkways -- or war, even -- I always sing "Free To Be"  in my head, gently mocking their outlook. But then I chastize myself: Wouldn't every outlook be so nice if it were true! Ever see the children's special? The baddest ### kid on the carousel to this song, of course, comes up when they list Kris Kristofferson in the opening credits. The kid sort of lurches at the camera with his mouth open from his plastic steed.

Just perfect. 

Users who are viewing this thread