What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (5 Viewers)

As far as I understand (I've somehow never seen the movie, need to change that), most of season 1 is their own take on a lot of the movie stuff. But beyond that (and it gets better and better, this is not a diminishing returns thing) it expands and does its own thing I think. As a standalone TV show, which is the only way I can recommend it having not seen the movie, it's extremely good. One of the best sci-fi shows ever imo, it's wild that an iffy channel like SyFy had both this and The Expanse running at once. And the rare show that doesn't just fall into dumber and dumber sci-fi/time travel plot holes as it goes. It all connects back together and makes sense in the end in a satisfying way, and ends well. 
I remember now you said something similar before, and that's some high praise.   I've been pimping The Expanse, so I will hop on this now.  Thanks for the reply.  

I remember now you said something similar before, and that's some high praise.   I've been pimping The Expanse, so I will hop on this now.  Thanks for the reply.  
Love The Expanse. Still have to watch the new Prime season that came out already, but it's because I want to do a full rewatch and haven't had the time.

12 Monkeys doesn't have that type of budget, and starts slower but is worth sticking with until the crazy stuff starts happening. 

Season 1 did not have the critical reception that later seasons got, it took a while for it all to start coming together into great sci-fi that was recognized even by critics as a definite future cult classic. I'm guessing being so closely related to the movie probably hurt the first season, until it established more of its own identity. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Watched the first episode and thought it was hilarious, though it was not my wife's cup of tea.  Will watch the rest myself I believe.

My 18 year old said it was psuedo autobiographical as his rapper character is a "real" rapper.  I found that shocking, though explained why he did do a good job in those scenes.
It’s definitely autobiographical. He’s not my cup of tea but that guy is an incredibly talented rapper. 

nirad3 said:
Watched 3-4 episodes and wasn't blown away so switched to The Boys and then Hunters.  Finished both of those, so thinking of jumping back to Expanse.

FWIW, I loved The Boys and liked Hunters.

Anyone watch (and like / plan on watching Season 2) Hunters?  I have some questions.  
I liked Hunters.  The Boys, I enjoyed the universe but didn't love it. Will watch both if/when they come back.

Meanwhile I'm halfway through season 4 of the Expanse. The only character I really like is the, now, UN President. She's hysterical. Still not sure if I enjoy this show or not though which is weird.

Watched a couple decent movies today on Netflix :popcorn:

The Watcher  - Kenau Reaves in a Dark role with Marisa Tormei & James Spader .. Decent Cat & mouse Crime movie  from 20 years ago.

Standoff - Lauence Fishburne in a dark role.. Kept my attention throughout although I was left wondering .. Where the bleep was the Sheriff"??? You'll know what I mean if you watch it.

Bingeing Tiger King (Neflix) right now.  Show about crazy people with private zoos that primarily have big cats.  The main character is an eccentric guy named Joe Exotic .  Some crime elements, social media, politics and polygamy involved   Amazing these places are legal.

Starting to drag a bit now, and for sure not a must-watch. 

Has anyone tried the Facebook streaming shows?  There’s a show called Limetown on it that was originally a podcast series which I thoroughly enjoyed.  Curious if it’s been seen by people and their review; hard not to have high hopes considering my appeal to its source and don’t want to be unnecessarily disappointed

KarmaPolice said:
Maybe it's a little too much for people now, but I am really liking 12 Monkeys so far.   I am about 4 episodes in and it seems to be really well done.  
Checked out episode 1 yesterday just to see what it was like since I am a big fan of the movie. Was really solid and plan on watching the whole series at some point.

after watching that one episode had to go watch the movie...what a great movie. Love Brad Pitt in the mental hospital scenes.

About half way through season 1 The Terror on Hulu (it is an AMC show) and it is very good IMO. Hulu has 2 seasons available and each season has a different storyline.

The first season is a fictionalized account of Captain Sir John Franklin's lost expedition to the Arctic in 1845–1848 with a supernatural element (Wikipedia)

Am I the only one that loves the shows on Apple Streaming?  Everything I’ve seen has been a home run.
Have only watched Servant but really liked it!

not trying to be a jerk but technically called Apple TV+ for anyone looking for it

Am I the only one that loves the shows on Apple Streaming?  Everything I’ve seen has been a home run.
Have only watched Servant but really liked it!

not trying to be a jerk but technically called Apple TV+ for anyone looking for it
Watched a bit of Servant and all of See. former was decent enough (is it m night shalalamadingdong?) But didn't entirely grab me- will have to revisit. latter...I really, really wanted to like- big fan of the genre...even started a thread on it. Not good. 

Wife watched the Morning Show and liked it a lot...I caught a couple eps and agree.

For me the winner was For All Mankind- the alt-history space race show. Really dug this one and felt like I learned about the actual space race along the way...particularly the people involved. ETA...I think I've mentioned it in here.

DMXATF23 said:
Joe Exotic in the early lead for Quarantine Lockdown hero. Tiger King might be the best thing on Netflix right now.
Episode 1- this is really something to watch.

Episode 2- this is ok

Episode 3- zzzzzzz.......

It gets... well not worse, but it will quickly becomes tedious.
This is far, far from consensus. It is generally considered to get better as it goes and end as one of the better sci-fi series in recent TV. But if you aren't into the self-referencing/criss-crossing time travel stuff I could see it not being up someone's alley. Don't wanna get into the details of what you liked/didn't like though as almost anything could be a spoiler for someone new to the show

Looking for a recommendation on a 30-minute mindless show. Can be funny, quirky, interesting, whatever. Three shows we really enjoyed that filled this role recently were Silicon Valley, Its the End of the ****ing World, and Explained.

We’ve barely watched any other 30 min shows, so pretty much anything is open. I’ve heard good things about Curb your Enthusiasm or Its always Sunny in Philadelphia? Start here or any other recommendations?

Watched a bit of Servant and all of See. former was decent enough (is it m night shalalamadingdong?) But didn't entirely grab me- will have to revisit. latter...I really, really wanted to like- big fan of the genre...even started a thread on it. Not good. 

Wife watched the Morning Show and liked it a lot...I caught a couple eps and agree.

For me the winner was For All Mankind- the alt-history space race show. Really dug this one and felt like I learned about the actual space race along the way...particularly the people involved. ETA...I think I've mentioned it in here.
I have an older gen Apple TV and For All Mankind is unwatchable for me. The actual stream is messed up. The audio file is wayyyyy out of sync with the video and gets worse  and worse. It is like it is playing at a whole different speed. We’re talking full scenes behind, not just Kung-Fu Theater bad dubbing.

Other shows are OK.

Watched Mythic Quest, it had its moments. Wife watched  Morning Show and really liked it.

Looking for a recommendation on a 30-minute mindless show. Can be funny, quirky, interesting, whatever. Three shows we really enjoyed that filled this role recently were Silicon Valley, Its the End of the ****ing World, and Explained.

We’ve barely watched any other 30 min shows, so pretty much anything is open. I’ve heard good things about Curb your Enthusiasm or Its always Sunny in Philadelphia? Start here or any other recommendations?
Catastrophe

Barry. Maybe not quite mindless but dark and funny

Sunny in Philadelphia is a must...you'll either love it or hate it.

I just started watching Black Monday and am enjoying it

I'd check out Parks & Rec, Brooklyn 99, and The Good Place if you are OK with something a little more lighthearted.  

It gets... well not worse, but it will quickly becomes tedious.
I will for sure keep going for a bit.  Not just in here, but podcasts that I seem to be in sync with opinion-wise have held it in high regard too.  

Just the fact that it supposedly had a vision of where it should end and stuck that landing has to make it instantly better than about 80% of shows out there, right? ;)

I think Atypical was short episodes 

weird - I made a long reply to your post but now it is gone

Eastbound and Down

Brooklyn Nine Nine

Schitt's Creek

Im all in on Tiger King on Netflix. A few others have said it drags, I disagree (Im 3 episodes in right now). This is some of the craziest shiz Ive ever seen.

Someone from Turkey just signed in to my Netflix account. Seventh sign of the Apocalypse?
I used to have that problem a lot but it seems to have gone away recently. I would log in and it was like some Turkish dude binged watched all kinds of crazy shows from over there. Even weirder, I would often have to change the language back to English.....from German!

After some googling it seems to be a rampant issue with no obvious fix other than changing your password. ( I did that and still had issues for awhile).

We've been watching the Picard Star Trek show on the ####### pay CBS thing.

It's a decent ride for fans- buncha cameos and pace moves along pretty good with a decent enough underlying theme (albeit done before). It does feel a little slight- particularly the writing for old man Picard- with swearing feeling forced and added... But overall recommend.

We've been watching the Picard Star Trek show on the ####### pay CBS thing.

It's a decent ride for fans- buncha cameos and pace moves along pretty good with a decent enough underlying theme (albeit done before). It does feel a little slight- particularly the writing for old man Picard- with swearing feeling forced and added... But overall recommend.
That show sucks. Can't emphasize that enough.

this Dark Side of the Ring program on Vice is pretty good.  particularly the ep about the Von Erich's. 

the kid's careers peaked when i was around that 10 - 13 age and found wrestling to be appointment television. all that i remembered was the storyline that they were some kind of wrestling dynasty but i hadn't thought about them in 30 years.

this was worth watching

Wife really wanted to see Contagion but then got all pissy that it was a pay for streaming option (and we had a weird “why the hell does $3 make a difference?” argument), so she switched to a lesser, free option called Pandemic...OOF!  I’ve been finding and announcing things found on Amazon for $3 since about five minutes in

Users who are viewing this thread