What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Another killing at the hands of the Police (2 Viewers)

Yeah I'd like to know where all these celebrities/players or Kaepernick speaking out against violence  
Tyler Perry, Atlanta native and media mogul
“Please, please stop this violence!! Looting is NOT THE ANSWER!!!!”

“And listen to me, be careful where you are getting your information to JOIN protests!! There are people and other countries who are posting things pretending to be US, pretending to stand for peaceful protest, but they are trying to incite us into violence and chaos to try and do more harm!!”

“Do not fall for this foolishness!!! Please stop the violence!”

police force is amazingly good - they've made sweeping changes the last decade

you do realize that right ?

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29248958/jr-smith-beats-man-damaging-truck

JR Smith literally chases a man down and assaulted him - liberals/left should be demanding him being arrested and this looked into as a hate crime right ?
Ferguson. Rodney King. George Floyd. What's the common denominator here? Police brutality and the lack of actual changes made to nationwide police forces. Ergo, what needs to change? Ending police brutality, demilitarizing and retraining police, and not defending bad cops. That would be actual change, not whatever a department here or there might have done for a little while.

https://twitter.com/edokeefe/status/1267478663949357057?s=21

#bunkerboy is demanding the governors fix this because it’s making him look bad
Here is the tweet thread:

Ed O'Keefe @edokeefe 29m

JUST IN:

President Trump unloads on the nation's governors on a call, calls on them to step up enforcement: "You have to dominate, if you don’t dominate you’re wasting your time. They’re going to run over you, you’re going to look like a bunch of jerks. You have to dominate."

In audio obtained by @CBSNEws Trump tells governors: "Washington was under very good control, but we’re going to have it under much more control. We’re going to pull in thousands of people." (more)

MORE: Trump tells governors: "You’ve got to arrest people, you have to track people, you have to put them in jail for 10 years and you’ll never see this stuff again," per audio obtained by @CBSNEws

One person listening in on the call describes the president's words and tone as "unhinged."

On the call, Trump references Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Milley and Attorney General Bill Barr. "We will activate Bill Barr and activate him very strongly," Trump says.

MORE: Trump tells governors later: "You’re making a mistake because you're making yourselves look like fools. And some have done a great job. But a lot of you, it’s not – it’s not a great day for our country."

TRUMP ADDS: "You know when other countries watch this, they’re watching this, the next day wow, they’re really a push over. And we can’t be a push over. And we have all the resources – it’s not like we don’t have the resources. So, I don’t know what you’re doing."

Ferguson. Rodney King. George Floyd. What's the common denominator here? Police brutality and the lack of actual changes made to nationwide police forces. Ergo, what needs to change? Ending police brutality, demilitarizing and retraining police, and not defending bad cops. That would be actual change, not whatever a department here or there might have done for a little while.
do you think the deaths and violence and loss of businesses and damages done in the hundreds of millions made it all better ?

https://twitter.com/edokeefe/status/1267478663949357057?s=21

#bunkerboy is demanding the governors fix this because it’s making him look bad
Governors allow the riots/burning/violence ... but only for a few days, and then they'll crack down. By this weekend, its going to be made clear that its not going to be tolerates, grab your tv's, laundry soap, clothes and alcohol during this time period because it WILL be stopped in the next few days

A society cannot allow riots/looting/violence  

Meanwhile Cuomo and DeBlasio are going to discuss a curfew today........is thee anything they aren't way too late on? Wow. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Former MPD Chief leaks MPD Police Union President Bob Kroll's letter to officers. Suffice to say he's not helping the situation.

A couple of excerpts that really won't help how they are perceived:

What is not being told is the violent criminal history of George Floyd. The media will not air this. I've worked with the four defense attorneys that are representing each of our four terminated individuals under criminal investigation, in addition with our labor attorneys to fight for their jobs. They were terminated without due process.

I've been a visible target from the groups conducting this riot, politicians on the left allowing it and encouraging it, and liberal media.

Last edited by a moderator:
do you think the deaths and violence and loss of businesses and damages done in the hundreds of millions made it all better ?
That's not my point. I'm saying that if we want to stop this from happening in the future, we have to make changes to how police officers do their jobs. Aside from condemning riots, violence and death, I can do jack all about what's happened already, but I can at least try to come up with ideas moving forward.

No, but 28 years after Rodney King riots and we are in the same situation.  I don't agree with the riots and damage but I do understand it happening.  Many are taking advantage of the situation but some do want change.  I know you or others will say that there has been change.  Has there really been change when the officer in the Floyd death had multiple instances of violent behavior/abuses and he was still allowed to carry a badge?

I feel like we need an angry emote for stories like this.
Need the angry and happy...angry the guy did it...happy we have seen police forces all over reacting pretty swiftly to the abuses of power during some of these protests.

Again, not to then turn around and defend any officer going over the line here...but definitely feel for officers out being confronted, pushed, spit on, yelled at and so on during all of this.  I hope this causes change...causes those who are now dealing with the anger face to face to step up when they see injustice within their own ranks.  I hope all of this mess...all of it...doesn't just get swept under the rug.

I love all the explanations about why he isn’t there with them, including “like you I’m overworked.” He’s written so many emails, I can’t even. 
Sounds a bit like Joffrey. "I WAS ON THE BATTLEFIELD FIGHTING! I BROUGHT VICTORY TO OUR PEOPLE!" And, he killed the last soldier in the battle, when he was on his knees, bloody, with no more ships or attackers alive. "VOTE FOR ME AS YOUR LEADER AGAIN... AND WE WILL DO BETTER!!!!!!!!!"

This is really the point.  I'm all for peaceful protest, people have that right.  It's the vandalism, assault, arson, and looting that have to be stopped.  I don't really care if the people we need to stop are Antifa, Proud Boys, or call themselves Girl Scouts.  The rest of it while we all have our beliefs on who they may be or we feel likely they are, is irrelevant.  
Excellent post and perspective.  

This is really the point.  I'm all for peaceful protest, people have that right.  It's the vandalism, assault, arson, and looting that have to be stopped.  I don't really care if the people we need to stop are Antifa, Proud Boys, or call themselves Girl Scouts.  The rest of it while we all have our beliefs on who they may be or we feel likely they are, is irrelevant.  
Excellent post and perspective.  
Relevant...pretty sums up my POV on this whole thing.

Ed O'Keefe @edokeefe 29m

JUST IN:

President Trump unloads on the nation's governors on a call, calls on them to step up enforcement: "You have to dominate, if you don’t dominate you’re wasting your time. They’re going to run over you, you’re going to look like a bunch of jerks. You have to dominate."

In audio obtained by @CBSNEws Trump tells governors: "Washington was under very good control, but we’re going to have it under much more control. We’re going to pull in thousands of people." (more)

MORE: Trump tells governors: "You’ve got to arrest people, you have to track people, you have to put them in jail for 10 years and you’ll never see this stuff again," per audio obtained by @CBSNEws

One person listening in on the call describes the president's words and tone as "unhinged."

On the call, Trump references Joint Chiefs of Staff Chairman Milley and Attorney General Bill Barr. "We will activate Bill Barr and activate him very strongly," Trump says.

MORE: Trump tells governors later: "You’re making a mistake because you're making yourselves look like fools. And some have done a great job. But a lot of you, it’s not – it’s not a great day for our country."

TRUMP ADDS: "You know when other countries watch this, they’re watching this, the next day wow, they’re really a push over. And we can’t be a push over. And we have all the resources – it’s not like we don’t have the resources. So, I don’t know what you’re doing."
Has he made the same calls about police forces...that they need to arrest their own and put them away and that will help never seeing this stuff again?

Other countries...there are protests happening in other countries in support of Floyd and against the racial injustices.

This is authoritarian talk, it's openly so, and this stuff turns south and badly in other nations. This man is an agent of chaos and causes great risk of damage in our own house.

This is authoritarian talk, it's openly so, and this stuff turns south and badly in other nations. This man is an agent of chaos and causes great risk of damage in our own house.
I'm pretty sure the people beating old ladies, dragging people out of their cars to beat them, burning buildings, throwing poop at police officers, and things of that nature are the agents of chaos.

SaintsInDome2006 said:

squistion said:

Ed O'Keefe @edokeefe 29m

JUST IN:

Depends. Detroit Police Chief James Craig said they will watch every piece of video they can find, track down and prosecute to the fullest extent of the law anyone they can identify burning, looting, or attacking police officers in the city of Detroit. People of Detroit are lauding him for those statements.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
Might want to be careful with your big words. Some might accuse you of not knowing what "authoritarian" looks like or the history of such a thing.

The quicker we root out this kind of thinking... the better... but we've been fighting this fight for far too long. We fought a World War to get rid of this. :(

Depends. Detroit Police Chief James Craig said they will watch every piece of video they can find, track down and prosecute to the fullest extent of the law anyone they can identify burning, looting, or attacking police officers in the city of Detroit. People of Detroit are lauding him for those statements.
We had looting here in NO when we were literally down to nothing. I know what this means.

I do not think that Craig and Trump are speaking of the same things or the same law enforcement methodology.

We had looting here in NO when we were literally down to nothing. I know what this means.

I do not think that Craig and Trump are speaking of the same things or the same law enforcement methodology.
Craig is a total no-nonsense Chief. A Detroit cop beat the crap out of a protester on live local news Friday night.  When they asked Craig about he said "The officer was hit with a bottle, and responded accordingly..next question"

Kal El said:
That's not my point. I'm saying that if we want to stop this from happening in the future, we have to make changes to how police officers do their jobs. Aside from condemning riots, violence and death, I can do jack all about what's happened already, but I can at least try to come up with ideas moving forward.
lets be honest

the riots/looting will not stop until the people who do it choose to NOT do it

if 100% of police brutality stops, they'll just use another spark to ignite their actions - that's the truth 

yak651 said:
No, but 28 years after Rodney King riots and we are in the same situation.  I don't agree with the riots and damage but I do understand it happening.  Many are taking advantage of the situation but some do want change.  I know you or others will say that there has been change.  Has there really been change when the officer in the Floyd death had multiple instances of violent behavior/abuses and he was still allowed to carry a badge?
i think they're been a giant huge change - has it been 100% effective at preventing evil hateful people from doing horrible things no ............ has the changes made differences absolutely !

Craig is a total no-nonsense Chief. A Detroit cop beat the crap out of a protester on live local news Friday night.  When they asked Craig about he said "The officer was hit with a bottle, and responded accordingly..next question"
Thanks, and the local stuff is really important right now. But I do not think appropriate rules of engagement is what Trump is contemplating right now. I think he and a guy like Craig are worlds apart.

sho nuff said:
Assuming its true it came from Kroll...the man should resign immediately.
I've got no doubts about the legitimacy, sadly. Current Mayor Frey and former Mayor RT Rybak both commented on it as well. It really is emblematic of the problems Minneapolis has had in reforming our police department. He was re-elected as union president 423-184 in 2017, with his challenger claiming he was "a divisive leader incapable of cooperating with department and city leadership."

lets be honest

the riots/looting will not stop until the people who do it choose to NOT do it

if 100% of police brutality stops, they'll just use another spark to ignite their actions - that's the truth 
There will always be hurricanes, criminals and sports teams, since those are usually present shortly before looting begins. I don't believe I've heard of a riot just popping up out of nowhere, and since I don't much care for hypothetical scenarios, let's stick to the facts:

Fact: this round of protests was started by police brutality on a person of color.

Fact: the protests started out peaceful, but escalation from either bad cops or civilian troublemakers have touched things off further.

Fact: during this round of protests, police have been observed kicking old people on canes down to ground, pepper spraying peaceful protesters, shooting rubber bullets into crowds and at people on balconies on private homes. These same police look as though they're gearing up for an actual honest to God battle, which is itself a huge part of what's wrong.

But let's pretend that the rioting will just randomly continue, because that makes sense?

Ramblin Wreck said:
SaintsInDome2006 said:
I'm pretty sure the people beating old ladies, dragging people out of their cars to beat them, burning buildings, throwing poop at police officers, and things of that nature are the agents of chaos.
Agreed....it's not either/or unfortunately.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
Could be worse. What if he (and police departments) enjoyed the kind of public support that Nixon did during his first term? If he wants to go the forcefully suppressive route now, he faces a vastly different electorate than Nixon enjoyed.

Maybe the nation's police forces and authoritative leadership should have been concentrating more on ending systemic racism and less on making law enforcement armed like a military organization. They just look like an even larger threat to ever greater numbers of Americans.

I've got no doubts about the legitimacy, sadly. Current Mayor Frey and former Mayor RT Rybak both commented on it as well. It really is emblematic of the problems Minneapolis has had in reforming our police department. He was re-elected as union president 423-184 in 2017, with his challenger claiming he was "a divisive leader incapable of cooperating with department and city leadership."
Sure...I don't doubt its true...just the disclaimer as we see one word being off and then people claim its all fake news.

Could be worse. What if he (and police departments) enjoyed the kind of public support that Nixon did during his first term? If he wants to go the forcefully suppressive route now, he faces a vastly different electorate than Nixon enjoyed.

Maybe the nation's police forces and authoritative leadership should have been concentrating more on ending systemic racism and less on making law enforcement armed like a military organization. They just look like an even larger threat to ever greater numbers of Americans.
It's cute that people think we will still have an election.

Users who are viewing this thread