What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pick your sandwich: Now with recipes BAM (1 Viewer)

I make myself a sandwich every day at the office.  I could live on sandwiches and be perfectly content the balance of my life.  

I'll go with:

1) Reuben

2) Cubano

3) Cheese Steak

If you could pick between pizza or sandwich the balance of your life - you can change the configuration as often as you like - but you can only choose one, what are you taking? 
sandwiches and it’s not close IMO.  Hell I’ll make a damn pizza grilled cheese if I get a pizza hankering…and yes I know you can sandwichize a pizza too (Philly steak, cheeseburger, chicken schwarma, BLT).  Biggest advantage of the sandwich is the variety in bread.  Pizza you’re always just starting with pizza crust

In no particular order: 

Cheesesteak with FO and Cooper Sharp from Angelo’s, Philly, PA 

Carne Asada Torta with green chiles, sour cream, avocado from Verde Lea Market, Cottonwood, AZ

Lobster Roll from [insert place serving it most fresh], Maine (cold version with the Mayo) 

Italian Hoagie with oil, vinegar, salt pepper Mayo, White House Subs, Atlantic City, NJ

Italian Beef and Hot Sausage with aus jus, Portillo’s 

Why we throwing “torta” around like its a specific kind of sandwich…aren’t there many varieties of Mexican sandwiches? I love them, but which one you talking bout muchacho?
I do kinda agree. I love tortas and I’m glad they’re getting love here but it is kind of like just saying “hoagies” when there are many types and varieties. 

The bologna should be fried.   It probably comes down to either the pull pork or the banh mi.  I like the contrast in textures, temperatures and flavors that both the sandwiches contain.   

Egg Salad and Chicken Salad don’t belong here. Same for you PBJ. Take a hike chumps!
PBJ isn’t going to win any competitions for best sandwich, but it deserves some respect for just how many people eat/have eaten them especially as kids and also for its versatility. How many of those sandwiches in the list can be thrown into a lunch bag with no ice pack and still be ok to eat by lunchtime ? Not many. Its low cost and ease to make increase its value as well.

In no particular order and depends on my mood

Ruben 

Cheesesteak

French Dip

Turkey Club

BLT

Honorable mention for simple sandwiches - Grilled Cheese and PBJ

I make myself a sandwich every day at the office.  I could live on sandwiches and be perfectly content the balance of my life.  

I'll go with:

1) Reuben

2) Cubano

3) Cheese Steak

If you could pick between pizza or sandwich the balance of your life - you can change the configuration as often as you like - but you can only choose one, what are you taking? 

Bahn Mi in my top 5

This was a very hard choice that I had to deliberate on for a minute.

I can’t rank them but top 5

BLT

Bahn Mi

Reuben

Shrimp Po Boy 

Philly Cheesesteak

I am lacking in the chicken and turkey food group and am already second guessing this but I have to ride with these bad boys. 

in no particular order:

Bahn mi

cheesesteak (with onions and mushrooms)

Shrimp po boy

French dip

Rueben

hm: muffuletta, lobster roll, monte christo, patty melt

PBJ isn’t going to win any competitions for best sandwich, but it deserves some respect for just how many people eat/have eaten them especially as kids and also for its versatility. How many of those sandwiches in the list can be thrown into a lunch bag with no ice pack and still be ok to eat by lunchtime ? Not many. Its low cost and ease to make increase its value as well.
I mean all due respect to the sandwich that punches the clock everyday and puts in the work but that doesn’t get you into the HOF. The Hall of Very Good maybe. 

I thought I taught you years ago about the awesomeness of the Torta. I'm not mad at you right now.  Just disappointed. 😔

My top three:

Torta

Cheesesteak

Meatball

My good and old friend, if you go into the Foodapalooza thread, you'll see that your buddy GM took the Pork Al Pastor Torta very early in the draft.  I could easily bump out the cheese steak for the torta.  However, I went with cheese steak because I made my first one the night PA swung to Biden because of Philadelphia voters (I think) and not to toot my own horn or anything, but I've gotten quite good at making them.  I've never attempted a torta.  I don't think I'd do very well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does that count as a substitution or just a deletion?

If we can't make ANY changes to said sandwich, I'll go with a meatball sub.

If we can take stuff off, I may just go with the Italian sub but no lettuce.

Actually... if I can't add cheese to that Italian sub I think I'll just go with the meatball.

I had a cheesesteak today.  Glorious.  No onions though... gross.
What are you, 7?  ;)

I hear you, I didn't start enjoying onions until my 30s, but now I would take grilled onions on just about anything and be a happy camper.  Couldn't imagine a cheesesteak without grilled onions and peppers.  But no mushrooms.  Get outta here with those vile fungi.

Reuben 

Albacore tuna salad...gotta have best foods mayo, and good dill pickles in it 

Leftover Thanksgiving turkey sammich....mayo, pickles, lettuce....course I brine my turkey and its super killer, and juicy.

What are you, 7?  ;)

I hear you, I didn't start enjoying onions until my 30s, but now I would take grilled onions on just about anything and be a happy camper.  Couldn't imagine a cheesesteak without grilled onions and peppers.  But no mushrooms.  Get outta here with those vile fungi.
:lol:  Yeah when it comes to food I am completely immature.  I eat my burgers plain, only cheese.  Maybe throw a tomato on there if I'm at a fancy spot.  But no mayo or mustard or onions or any of that business.  As for onions, I'm OK with them cut small and cooked down, like in a sauce.  But massive rings of crunchy nastiness?  No thanks.  And yeah, definitely no mushrooms either.

I’d give the PBnJ the equivalent of the lifetime Oscar or whatever that thing is they give to for its importance and service to the category.
I'll grant you that it's hardly special and not anywhere close to spectacular.  But I ask you this:  When was the last time you had one?  For me, it had been decades since I had a PBJ.  But sometime around the fall, I was left with no other alternative at the office.  I had two pieces of bread, my boss always has peanut butter and a very nice lady had made me some homemade strawberry jam.  I toasted the bread, spread the peanut butter and went heavy on the homemade jam. When I bit into it, I was delighted.  It was like rediscovering the joy of riding a bike or coming home to sleep in your childhood home bed after a lengthy absence.  

So if it has been a while since you ate one, I suggest you do and report back.  No, I wouldn't take one over at least 30 of the listed sandwiches, but it's rated accordingly.  To not include it into the sandwich hall of fame is simply laughable.

Reuben 

Albacore tuna salad...gotta have best foods mayo, and good dill pickles in it 

Leftover Thanksgiving turkey sammich....mayo, pickles, lettuce....course I brine my turkey and its super killer, and juicy.
You ever make one with cranberry, stuffing and gravy?  Heaven.

:lol:  Yeah when it comes to food I am completely immature.  I eat my burgers plain, only cheese.  Maybe throw a tomato on there if I'm at a fancy spot.  But no mayo or mustard or onions or any of that business.  As for onions, I'm OK with them cut small and cooked down, like in a sauce.  But massive rings of crunchy nastiness?  No thanks.  And yeah, definitely no mushrooms either.
You and my 17 year old son would get along just fine.  He does like to add BBQ sauce on his burgers, though.  

I didn't start eating avocados until a few years ago.  They go on all my burgers now if I have 'em on hand.  

My good and old friend, if you go into the Foodapalooza thread, you'll see that your buddy GM took the Pork Al Pastor Torta very early in the draft.  I could easily bump out the cheese steak for the torta.  However, I went with cheese steak because I made my first one the night PA swung to Biden because of Philadelphia voters (I think) and not to toot my own horn or anything, but I've gotten quite good at making them.  I've never attempted a torta.  I don't think I'd do very well.
If you’re ever in the Philly area you definitely need to get one and get it with cheez whiz. There’s just something different about the meat they use, how they chop it up, the rolls they use. When I first moved to the area and had one I then realized that everywhere else is just an imitation. Definitely a different level in Philly.

I feel like a lot of these sandwiches that are associated with specific regions probably are going to be judged differently depending on if the individual has had them from that region or not. If the only lobster roll I’ve eaten was at a restaurant in Idaho, my rating will probably be lower than if I had one in Maine or Boston.

Patty Melt is always disappointing to me.  A hamburger patty needs a hamburger bun.  It just throws something off for me when it's just regular bread.  I can't explain it because it seems like I should like it but I am always disappointed when I get one.  

Nothing really beats a good BLT.  That flavor profile is amazing and for something so simple it is perfect.  

ETA:  For perfect you need a quality tomato and add some cracked black pepper to the layer of mayo before you put the rest of the ingredients together.   Also, the lettuce needs to be fresh but not a lot.......a very thin layer just for the coldness/crispness to off set the bountiful flavors of the bacon & tomato. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll grant you that it's hardly special and not anywhere close to spectacular.  But I ask you this:  When was the last time you had one?  For me, it had been decades since I had a PBJ.  But sometime around the fall, I was left with no other alternative at the office.  I had two pieces of bread, my boss always has peanut butter and a very nice lady had made me some homemade strawberry jam.  I toasted the bread, spread the peanut butter and went heavy on the homemade jam. When I bit into it, I was delighted.  It was like rediscovering the joy of riding a bike or coming home to sleep in your childhood home bed after a lengthy absence.  

So if it has been a while since you ate one, I suggest you do and report back.  No, I wouldn't take one over at least 30 of the listed sandwiches, but it's rated accordingly.  To not include it into the sandwich hall of fame is simply laughable.
My HOF isn’t the NBAs - one that lets everyone in. The likes of Del Harrises and Ben Wallaces of the sandwich world certainly deserve a high level of adulation. They have endured, they put in the time, but hardly belong beside the Reubens, a true masterpiece, of the world. 

ELITE sandwiches and flavor profiles only.

Tuna Fish, PBnJ types get the work done and I don’t mean to diminish their contributions to the category. But they don’t elevate to Italian Beefs and Cheesesteaks of the world. They don’t have that gear. 

Perhaps a People’s Choice award or given the “Key to the City” type of acknowledgement for our friend the PBnJ.

You and my 17 year old son would get along just fine.  He does like to add BBQ sauce on his burgers, though.  

I didn't start eating avocados until a few years ago.  They go on all my burgers now if I have 'em on hand.  

Oh, I'll dip my burger in ketchup (or buffalo or blue cheese), I just like having the ability to regulate how much of it I get per bite.  I don't like it slapped onto the bun... it just makes the bun gross.

I eat my kids' uncrustables all the time. They're great. 

If you’re ever in the Philly area you definitely need to get one and get it with cheez whiz. There’s just something different about the meat they use, how they chop it up, the rolls they use. When I first moved to the area and had one I then realized that everywhere else is just an imitation. Definitely a different level in Philly.

I feel like a lot of these sandwiches that are associated with specific regions probably are going to be judged differently depending on if the individual has had them from that region or not. If the only lobster roll I’ve eaten was at a restaurant in Idaho, my rating will probably be lower than if I had one in Maine or Boston.
Biggest regret was going to the Phily area for a wedding and not ordering one.  I did have scrapple for breakfast and that was a treat!

My HOF isn’t the NBAs - one that lets everyone in. The likes of Del Harrises and Ben Wallaces of the sandwich world certainly deserve a high level of adulation. They have endured, they put in the time, but hardly belong beside the Reubens, a true masterpiece, of the world. 

ELITE sandwiches and flavor profiles only.

Tuna Fish, PBnJ types get the work done and I don’t mean to diminish their contributions to the category. But they don’t elevate to Italian Beefs and Cheesesteaks of the world. They don’t have that gear. 

Perhaps a People’s Choice award or given the “Key to the City” type of acknowledgement for our friend the PBnJ.

Let the record reflect that Mr. The General refused to answer the question.

Biggest regret was going to the Phily area for a wedding and not ordering one.  I did have scrapple for breakfast and that was a treat!
Scrapple is wonderful. How'd you have it though? That's a big debate in the area. I actually like it kid style - just catsup!

Oh, I'll dip my burger in ketchup (or buffalo or blue cheese), I just like having the ability to regulate how much of it I get per bite.  I don't like it slapped onto the bun... it just makes the bun gross.

You DIP your hamburger?  Mind. Blown. 

What are you, 7?  ;)

Peppers don't belong on a true cheesesteak. GTFO with peppers. 

Guys, guys, guys... seriously. If there's one takeaway from this thread let it be this: 

PEPPERS DON'T BELONG ON A ####### CHEESESTEAK. 

Users who are viewing this thread