What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Pick your sandwich: Now with recipes BAM (1 Viewer)

If you could pick between pizza or sandwich the balance of your life - you can change the configuration as often as you like - but you can only choose one, what are you taking? 

Pizza, without much hesitation.  If the contents of a sandwich are good enough, I could eat them loose (therefore it no longer being a sandwich) and would rarely miss the bread.  The same would not hold true for pizza.

Scrapple is wonderful. How'd you have it though? That's a big debate in the area. I actually like it kid style - just catsup!
Been a while, but I am pretty sure I had it with eggs, hash browns and toast.  Used the toast to make a little scrapple, egg, hash brown sandwich and THAT could easily supplant a few of the sandwiches I've heard mentioned in here.

Sure you aren't going to a NY deli & ordering a PBJ, but I don't see how you have a HoF without it based on longevity & versatility alone. How many foods are you still eating that you ate at 5 yrs old? Every now & then I'll take 1 to work for breakfast - goes great with coffee. Had them numerous times before a game or going to gym where any other sandwich would be too much. I've found them in my back pack a day later, squished, and still does the job. Not too mention late night snack after the bars. Plus you can change them up with different types or flavors of jam.

thing about the two consensus(?) best sammiches - cheesesteak & meatball - is that they get done badly 10x more than any others. have yet to have a proper meatball sub between the Mississippi and the west coast, and i lived there for 40 yrs. and i've stopped ordering cheesesteaks on the road, no matter what part of the country i'm in, cuz theyre about 20% acceptable.

Been a while, but I am pretty sure I had it with eggs, hash browns and toast.  Used the toast to make a little scrapple, egg, hash brown sandwich and THAT could easily supplant a few of the sandwiches I've heard mentioned in here.
Yep. Good #### there. 

Honestly though just fry some pieces up and spread a layer of catsup over the top. Delightful. 

thing about the two consensus(?) best sammiches - cheesesteak & meatball - is that they get done badly 10x more than any others. have yet to have a proper meatball sub between the Mississippi and the west coast, and i lived there for 40 yrs. and i've stopped ordering cheesesteaks on the road, no matter what part of the country i'm in, cuz theyre about 20% acceptable.
Agree 100%. 

You've never done this? I did it all the time until I started to care what girls thought of me. 
No, Junior, I don't dip my hamburger in sauce.  It's not a tortilla chip.  I spread the sauce on the buns like a grown-up and let it blend in with the rest of the tasty ingredients.  How are some of you getting laid?

Well, THIS healthy guy likes peppers on his cheesesteaks.  Green, red, poblano, you name it, I want it whipped up with some onions and grilled right next to my sirloin.  
Sirloin? WTF? Use shaved ribeye. 

I could see an argument for some longhots maybe but, again, a true cheesesteak doesn't have peppers. 

But, hey, to each his own. Nickelback sold millions of records, people enjoy pineapple on pizza, and Little Caesars still exists. :shrug:  

Well, THIS healthy guy likes peppers on his cheesesteaks.  Green, red, poblano, you name it, I want it whipped up with some onions and grilled right next to my sirloin.  

green peppers are crucial to the quintessential cheesesteak experience. 

eff the bland boiz. 

Sirloin? WTF? Use shaved ribeye. 

I could see an argument for some longhots maybe but, again, a true cheesesteak doesn't have peppers. 

But, hey, to each his own. Nickelback sold millions of records, people enjoy pineapple on pizza, and Little Caesars still exists. :shrug:  

Ribeye?  Get a load of Elon Musk over here.  I have a family of 7, so I'm not shooting the locks off my wallet for a cut of meat that's going to be covered in onions, PEPPERS and provolone.  

You know what belongs on ribeye?  Salt/Pepper.  The.  End.

steak w cheese, onions & peppers is a delicious sangwich, but the cheesesteak is a bite experience, like being the lion who gets the antelope's beating heart, so i agree with both sentiments involving their consumption

Ribeye?  Get a load of Elon Musk over here.  I have a family of 7, so I'm not shooting the locks off my wallet for a cut of meat that's going to be covered in onions, PEPPERS and provolone.  

You know what belongs on ribeye?  Salt/Pepper.  The.  End.
Oh you think this ribeye looks bad? 

Boom: https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/angelos-pizzeria-philadelphia?select=UZzEYymdPtqBEOY0G2iqOA&menu-item=cheesesteak-sandwich

Note: if we're just grilling up steaks then I agree with you on the salt/pepper though a dash of olive oil or butter is also appropriate. 

Oh you think this ribeye looks bad? 

Boom: https://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/angelos-pizzeria-philadelphia?select=UZzEYymdPtqBEOY0G2iqOA&menu-item=cheesesteak-sandwich

Note: if we're just grilling up steaks then I agree with you on the salt/pepper though a dash of olive oil or butter is also appropriate. 
Mr. Woz, before we begin I'd like to remind you that you are under oath.

Your honors, I'd like to enter into evidence Exhibit A.  

Mr. Woz, as you examine Exhibit A - which our expert witness has identified as a "Cheesesteak Sandwich at Angelo’s Pizzeria" what - will you please identify the ingredients you see before the court.  Specifically, I'd like you to identify the sliced green objects you see in the picture of the sandwich.   Take your time and remember, you are under oath.

You ever make one with cranberry, stuffing and gravy?  Heaven.
My wife likes em with cranberry....me, not so much.  That sweet and savory combo doesnt work for me.....just like pineapple on pizza...no thanks!

My favorite Thanksgiving  thing to do is take a fresh dinner roll tear it open and place inside turkey, taters, gravy, stuffing, and maybe even green bean casserole with the crispy onions....stomach is growling

Mr. Woz, before we begin I'd like to remind you that you are under oath.

Your honors, I'd like to enter into evidence Exhibit A.  

Mr. Woz, as you examine Exhibit A - which our expert witness has identified as a "Cheesesteak Sandwich at Angelo’s Pizzeria" what - will you please identify the ingredients you see before the court.  Specifically, I'd like you to identify the sliced green objects you see in the picture of the sandwich.   Take your time and remember, you are under oath.
Blasphemous addition from some heathen. 

(They may also be longhots or pickles - I can't tell)

I do kinda agree. I love tortas and I’m glad they’re getting love here but it is kind of like just saying “hoagies” when there are many types and varieties. 
I didn't make the rules here.    It's no different than choosing the banh mi.    Same sandwich, multiple possible meats.   It's a pretty specific sandwich (and if you don't get carne asada you're a sociopath anyway--and don't try to mention vegetarian options.  You're not getting a tofu torta).   

I didn't make the rules here.    It's no different than choosing the banh mi.    Same sandwich, multiple possible meats.   It's a pretty specific sandwich (and if you don't get carne asada you're a sociopath anyway--and don't try to mention vegetarian options.  You're not getting a tofu torta).   
Eh, fair. 

And agreed it's carne asada as the obvious top choice. I have had some pretty darn good pollo and al pastor tortas though too. 

Eh, fair. 

And agreed it's carne asada as the obvious top choice. I have had some pretty darn good pollo and al pastor tortas though too. 
I just re-read the description on the sandwich menu.   Ingredients for a torta are "steak, beans, lettuce, tomato, avocado, cotija."

GM, your pineapple disqualifies your sandwich from consideration.   

• Smile
Reactions: Zow
11:08 and time to make my sandwich!  Best part of my day, right here.  Which is a tragic commentary on my life.

We start with this bread.  Toasted on level 3 - warm and crisp but nowhere near approaching burnt territory.  

One slice gets Spicy Harissa Mayo, the other is getting Maille Old Style Mustard.

Up next, a few pieces of crisp, cool iceberg lettuce.  

Today's meat selection is Ham Off the Bone, which was on sale at Fred Meyer this week.  

Finally, the pièce de résistance - TWO types of pickles. Grillo's Hot Spears and Bubbies Bread and Butter.  Love the hot and sweet.

My son has worked at Jersey Mike's for a couple of years now.  I like to think he got his sandwich skills from me.  Except he can use a slicer and I'm not allowed anywhere near one of those.

I just re-read the description on the sandwich menu.   Ingredients for a torta are "steak, beans, lettuce, tomato, avocado, cotija."

GM, your pineapple disqualifies your sandwich from consideration.   
Yes, but way back then when they made this sandwich menu, Hawaii wasn't technically a state and therefore, the plethora of fresh pineapple wasn't ubiquitous as it is today.  That sandwich board looked like something you'd find at your grandparents house cleaning it out after they die.

i grew up and live in los angeles and yet never knew a Torta is a generic name and could be anything other than asada. is that like a burrito where they don't have it in mexico and is an american concoction of mexican or other hispanic heritage?

there's a pretty good place here called Philly's Best who swear they're from Philly and peppers, all colors, are a staple in their sandwiches as is wiz which i been told is the only way to eat it. it's excellent, i think the shop is a chain. i didn't know the peppers were so hotly debated and now i question the authenticity of this Philly sandwich.

lots to learn in this thread.

i grew up and live in los angeles and yet never knew a Torta is a generic name and could be anything other than asada. is that like a burrito where they don't have it in mexico and is an american concoction of mexican or other hispanic heritage?

there's a pretty good place here called Philly's Best who swear they're from Philly and peppers, all colors, are a staple in their sandwiches as is wiz which i been told is the only way to eat it. it's excellent, i think the shop is a chain. i didn't know the peppers were so hotly debated and now i question the authenticity of this Philly sandwich.

lots to learn in this thread.
Torta just means turtle in Spanish, because of the shape of the bread.   It's some kind of meat (usually carne asada, but they'll also use chicken, pork or beef tongue), lettuce, tomato, avocado, refried beans and in some places mayo and cotija cheese.   They most definitely have it in Mexico.   Authentic bread is the key both in that it's hearty enough to stand up to carne asada and refried beans, but it also has a slightly sweet taste that enhances all of the other flavors. 

Torta just means turtle in Spanish, because of the shape of the bread.   It's some kind of meat (usually carne asada, but they'll also use chicken, pork or beef tongue), lettuce, tomato, avocado, refried beans and in some places mayo and cotija cheese.   They most definitely have it in Mexico.   Authentic bread is the key both in that it's hearty enough to stand up to carne asada and refried beans, but it also has a slightly sweet taste that enhances all of the other flavors. 

Tortuga?

I'm usually all about the authentic experience with food, but not with cheesesteaks.  There is no possible way putting cheese whiz on a sandwich is a good thing.  Give me provolone or swiss all day.  If it no longer qualifies as a cheesesteak, whatever.

I feel the same about American cheese.  It's awful and there is never a situation where substituting it with Cheddar or Jack is not better.  

I'm usually all about the authentic experience with food, but not with cheesesteaks.  There is no possible way putting cheese whiz on a sandwich is a good thing.  Give me provolone or swiss all day.  If it no longer qualifies as a cheesesteak, whatever.

I feel the same about American cheese.  It's awful and there is never a situation where substituting it with Cheddar or Jack is not better.  

YES!  Agreed.  We got the short shrift with cheeses named after us.  

And pineapple.

Users who are viewing this thread