What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Marvel Cinematic Universe - Can Deadpool Save the MCU? You betcha, friendo! (1 Viewer)

I don't know how to do spoilers so if you haven't seen Dr. Strange then don't read any more. 

I think Marvel could make a pretty cool series following the all the different Thanos through the multiverse. 

Show us times he beat the Avengers and what happens to that universe, what other universes did to defeat him, maybe in some universes come to an alliance with him. 

Thanos was so great it took 2 movies to tell his story and it still didn't feel like enough. 

Finally saw MoM.  Just got home from the theatre.  Still digesting. There is a metric ton of things to process. I’ll watch it again when it comes to D+.  I liked it. And think I’ll like it more, once I process/understand it all.  

most importantly, my 15 year old daughter, who I’ve watched all of these with, came with me.  We were excited going in, And we are excitedly talking about the movie now!  That right there is worth everything. 

we want to know who the F the Minotaur/bull dude was.  Any time he was on screen, we looked at each other with the wtf shrug. Tia. 

I’ve avoided this thread until now.  I’ll be hippling for a bit. 

Having only seen MoM at the drive-in theater, I am sure there are lots of things that I missed. But I just wanted to say that if you questioned Wanda's rapid switch to the dark side due to an evil book, the Darkhold is featured prominently in one of the seasons of the Agents of SHIELD show (season 4 after I looked it up) before it made an appearance in Wandavision. It's had more screen time than some actual characters!

Corporation said:
resulting in the need for her death. Now I don't think her death is permanent, I think perhaps another universe's Wanda ends up in "our" universe, so there is still a chance she can be a full hero again. 
[Highlight after tag to reveal MOM spoiler] I've not seen this mentioned anywhere, but during this you can see a red flash as the structure collapses around her.  I'm certain she "blipped" out before it killed her.  I have nothing to back this theory, but is anyone REALLY dead when it comes to comics and the MCU? [End highlighting]

Having only seen MoM at the drive-in theater, I am sure there are lots of things that I missed. But I just wanted to say that if you questioned Wanda's rapid switch to the dark side due to an evil book, the Darkhold is featured prominently in one of the seasons of the Agents of SHIELD show (season 4 after I looked it up) before it made an appearance in Wandavision. It's had more screen time than some actual characters!
Yeah it was a major plot point along with the into of Ghost Rider which was excellent, but then lead into the rapid decline of the show as they went into the "Framework" and ended in in space for S5.

Saw Dr Strange with my daughter tonight and I'm conflicted. 
Was the movie good? I guess so. 
Was it well acted? Sure. 
Was it visually stunning? Absolutely. 
I honestly don't know why I didn't like it more. We were both really looking forward to it. I believe it was more that I didn't get what I expected. No spoilers from me though, so I guess I'll just leave it at that.
Sorry to quote you from a month ago but this is how I felt. Saw it today. I think my relationship with these MCU movies and shows is changing. Cut eternals off after 20 minutes, gave up on moon knight, never saw what if — and if I I didn’t see this I’d be ok. The Wanda horror stuff was fun, but zombie strange was super dumb and all the multiverse stuff — I just don’t care. 

I’m sure I’ll keep up with it all but it’s not a priority to me anymore. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to quote you from a month ago but this is how I felt. Saw it today. I think my relationship with these MCU movies and shows is changing. Cut eternals off after 20 minutes, gave up on moon knight, never saw what if — and if I I didn’t see this I’d be ok. The Wanda horror stuff was fun, but zombie strange was super dumb and all the multiverse stuff — I just don’t care. 

I’m sure I’ll keep up with it all but it’s not a priority to me anymore. 
I agree. I’ve watched everything (movies on D+, not theaters), but it’s not the same must see anymore. It doesn’t feel like it has the same connections between the stars and you get things where it almost feels like DC vs Marvel where you feel like Eternals, Shang Chi, Moon Knight and Avengers don’t exist in the same universe. It just feels disjointed and I don’t think anything has hooked me enough to spend movie theater costs. I know my oldest saw MoM but I’ll just wait till it’s on D+.

I agree. I’ve watched everything (movies on D+, not theaters), but it’s not the same must see anymore. It doesn’t feel like it has the same connections between the stars and you get things where it almost feels like DC vs Marvel where you feel like Eternals, Shang Chi, Moon Knight and Avengers don’t exist in the same universe. It just feels disjointed and I don’t think anything has hooked me enough to spend movie theater costs. I know my oldest saw MoM but I’ll just wait till it’s on D+.
And the shows on deck aren’t helping at all. I have zero desire to watch Ms. Marvel or She-Hulk. And I kinda liked Moon Knight and even Eternals to a degree. I enjoy working human legends and gods and other mythology into “reality” but I can see that getting old/weird. 

What was the joke Strange made to Reed Richards about the 60s? My wife talked right over it. 
Highlight for SpoilerIn reference to the Fantastic Four:  "Didn’t you guys chart in the 60s?" End Spoiler

In reference to the spoiler: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bwZSyGHqJQ

By the way, does this spoiler workaround work for those who use dark mode?  I don't even see an option for dark mode on FBG anymore, so I'm not sure if anyone uses it.

I finally watched Moon Knight this past week.  I was never a fan of Moon Knight in the comics, so I had very little interest in the series.  But it was time I gave it a shot.  I really wanted to like it and was hoping they'd get me to care about the character.  Sadly, they were not able to cure my disinterest in the character.  

My thoughts echo bostonfred's from a few pages ago:

I didn't care at all about any of these characters.  The stakes were unintelligible.   What happens if they lose?   Then bad people won't be able to do bad things anymore.   Um ok.  But what about free will?  Let's not talk about it we'll just fight.  Watch this, there's a bird skeleton fighting a weird alligator lady.  Just kidding that's irrelevant.  It's all about people fighting and the strong superhero has armor and a sidekick so he's going to win oh wait no he loses because they used magic oh wait i know it looked like they lost but actually he just blacked out he won lol. 

No, the real stakes were when he was in the asylum with the psychiatrist/ cleric and then left with the hippo and Steven died in the desert but mark lives except he decided to die to save Steven and it turns out they both live and then they also have another guy and beat the clericiatrist. 

I wanted it to be good and i was willing to accept weird back story, mythology i don't know, a character whose superpowers appear to be fighting really well, sometimes using a metal croissant to threaten people, and occasionally blacking out and waking up when the fight is over, but this was bad enough that it made me question whether What If actually improved or i was just giving it the benefit of the doubt. For the first time, I'm not sure if I'll watch the next MCU product. 

That said, I can't say that the show was awful.  I think Oscar Isaac did a great job.  Whenever season 2 releases, I'm not against giving it another shot.   Given more time to flesh out the character, perhaps they can convince me to care.

It is disappointing to read this thread to see how everyone really liked Spider Man No one home, which I thought was below average and one of the worst Marvel movies and everyone bashing Eternals and especially MoM which I thought was one of the best marvel movies, just below deadpool, endgame, and ragnarok.

I was a big comic nerd when I was younger and I hope Marvel can lean into the comic storylines without turning the casual viewer off.

What was the joke Strange made to Reed Richards about the 60s? My wife talked right over it. 
He was introduced as leader of the Fantastic 4 and Strange said something along the lines as "I loved your big hit in the 60s" - the joke being it sounds like a band name.

It is disappointing to read this thread to see how everyone really liked Spider Man 3, which I thought was below average and one of the worse Marvel movies and everyone bashing Eternals and especially MoM which I thought was one of the best marvel movies, just below deadpool, endgame, and ragnarok.

I was a big comic nerd when I was younger and I hope Marvel can lean into the comic storylines without turning the casual viewer off.

Spider-Man 3 or No Way Home?

He was introduced as leader of the Fantastic 4 and Strange said something along the lines as "I loved your big hit in the 60s" - the joke being it sounds like a band name.
It WAS a name of a band that literally charted in the 60s.  Thus the line, "Didn’t you guys chart in the 60s?"  Remember, Steven Strange has a vast obscure music trivia  knowledge, which they used to use to keep his mind active during surgery.

finally finished all of the Defender series  It was all...ok.  Not fantastic, not terrible.  The villain's make the shows, so I really liked the ones with good villians - Jessica Jones season 1, DareDevil 1 & 2, Luke Cage season 2, and Punisher season 1.  I also liked the Defenders - not so much for the bad guys, but the compilation.

Liked the first episode of Ms Marvel less than any other series. I don’t know if it was because she is a kid or I don’t know anything about the character. Just didn’t hold my interest much. It felt like diary of a wimpy kid with a girl superhero slant. 

Liked the first episode of Ms Marvel less than any other series. I don’t know if it was because she is a kid or I don’t know anything about the character. Just didn’t hold my interest much. It felt like diary of a wimpy kid with a girl superhero slant. 
I’ve never been less interested in a Marvel thing than this. I doubt its target is me or my sons and I’m glad you saved me the time.

Yeah I feel like I have to watch this now that they've shown connections between the shows and the films, but I just can't get that interested in it for basically the same reasons.

AcerFC said:
I like kid's shows, but I wasn't all that happy with this.  The editing looked like someone with ADHD got hold of the machine.  And I'm really fed up the with the abusive, jackhole parent thing.  Way to represent.

AcerFC said:
Yeah there zero percent chance I watch this.

AcerFC said:
97% on Rotten Tomatoes.

It's getting review-bombed on IMDB, but even on that site it has more 10/10 scores than any other Marvel series.

That being said, I have no interest it watching it.

AcerFC said:
pretty much zero chance I watch this or she-hulk.  Though Hulk may have more potential. I said the same thing about What If though, but ended up watching and generally liking that (probably more than FaWS actually)

pretty much zero chance I watch this or she-hulk.  Though Hulk may have more potential. I said the same thing about What If though, but ended up watching and generally liking that (probably more than FaWS actually)
I’m really looking forward to Ashe-hulk, but totally prepared to be disappointed. 

stbugs said:
I’ve never been less interested in a Marvel thing than this. I doubt its target is me or my sons and I’m glad you saved me the time.

AcerFC said:
That, and an odd zombieland / kickass dynamic I just can’t get behind. Although I really enjoyed both of those movies. 

I liked Ms. Marvel.....but having said that since Endgane more often than not I know nothing about the characters at all so I'm just along foe the rise because...why not.

Speaking of which why didn't they give her stretching powers?
No idea but did find this. 

No Stretchy Powers for Ms. Marvel

In an interview with Empire, Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige finally explained why Kamala Khan's powers changed in the MCU.

Feige said that Kamala's original powers were due to the character coming "about in a very specific time within the comic-book continuity," and that that continuity "didn't match" within the "very specific time within the MCU continuity." Fans will "learn about where those powers come from" as they watch the show and how it's "specific to the MCU:"

https://thedirect.com/article/mcu-ms-marvel-powers-changed

No idea but did find this. 

No Stretchy Powers for Ms. Marvel

In an interview with Empire, Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige finally explained why Kamala Khan's powers changed in the MCU.

Feige said that Kamala's original powers were due to the character coming "about in a very specific time within the comic-book continuity," and that that continuity "didn't match" within the "very specific time within the MCU continuity." Fans will "learn about where those powers come from" as they watch the show and how it's "specific to the MCU:"

https://thedirect.com/article/mcu-ms-marvel-powers-changed
Or maybe they didn't want two new characters to the MCU to have stretching powers

Surprised they are releasing this so quickly after Moon Knight. It’s like a fire hose of shows and movies. 

AcerFC said:
I fell asleep (I never do that) watching it and my one thought while awake was "this feels like all the kids shows my kids watch". 

I guess I will try again to get through it and get up to speed but this may be the first Marvel series I don't watch if the second episode isn't drastically better.  

Abusive? That seems like quite the stretch. 
So it's okay when her mother tells her that every choice she makes is wrong, and she must conform to her mother's idea of her life or she's a piece of crap?  There's no attempt to respect the kid's actual likes or talents- just a dismissal of them.  It's  form of abuse.

So it's okay when her mother tells her that every choice she makes is wrong, and she must conform to her mother's idea of her life or she's a piece of crap?  There's no attempt to respect the kid's actual likes or talents- just a dismissal of them.  It's  form of abuse.
I am guessing there is a high percentage chance that you are not Gen X or older. 

Going on a mission trip next week so I'll start watching Ms. Marvel on the bus. Not overly excited for it but not dreading it either. What I am dreading is The Eternals.  I finally started watching it, first 20 minutes or so. This is my movie when I'm watching on my spin bike.

It is disappointing to read this thread to see how everyone really liked Spider Man No one home, which I thought was below average and one of the worst Marvel movies and everyone bashing Eternals and especially MoM which I thought was one of the best marvel movies, just below deadpool, endgame, and ragnarok.

I'm with you!  Last Spider-Man was fine but the first two in the trilogy were FAR better. 

Agree with the bolded too.  While I love the Guardians comedy style story telling I thought MoM was a fresh break and horror, not calling it that, but not usually my thing.  Certainly helped being the father of two, now adult, sons myself.  Sadly most of us have experienced a tragic loss of someone way before their time as well. I found myself wondering to myself several times in the theater what those universes with them would have been like. 

Users who are viewing this thread