What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

With the #1 Overall Pick, the Chicago Bears select… (2 Viewers)

You forgot 5 Indy. In fact now that they let Houston beat them, they might be most likely to pay the Price for Bryce
IMO that’s a really solid spot for Stroud.
I would like to see the Colts get Stroud staying put at 5
As a Lions fan, so do I.
I suppose that went over my head......why?
I think Stroud will bust. I don't want the Lions to even have the option at 6.
I’m not sure the Lions are in the qb market.
I so want to see Anderson or Carter with hutch.

Time for the Bears GM to watch "Draft Day"
Unfortunately for the Bears, Kevin Costner isn't a GM in the NFL
There always seem to be a few pancake-eating MFers that get too excited about the top QBs.
One of the reasons I was confused by the 2022 draft.
But at least they probably know who has the 4th pick and who the GMs are (Draft Day reference)

I know it's a movie, but at least try to make it somewhat realistic
A flawed Rewatchable

I think the question is- how was he as a pure passer in college and if special, can the Bears get him to return to that form?
I've wondered this for quite some time. How can you grow up your whole life as a QB, be a prolific FBS player, but then get to the NFL and the simple act of delivering the football is now the most suspect part of your game? It's baffling.
You grow up playing your entire QB life behind an offensive line. Then you go to the Bears and end up running for your life.

A Fields trade isn’t out of the question with so many QB needy teams. Bears are in a tremendous position right now either way.
Price is probably 3 1sts for Fields too.
If true then the decision is easy - trade Fields. I'd rather have Young regardless, but the extra 2 cost controlled years on a team that won't compete in 2023 anyway makes it a no brainer.

A Fields trade isn’t out of the question with so many QB needy teams. Bears are in a tremendous position right now either way.
Price is probably 3 1sts for Fields too.
If true then the decision is easy - trade Fields. I'd rather have Young regardless, but the extra 2 cost controlled years on a team that won't compete in 2023 anyway makes it a no brainer.
Interesting topic

I think everybody is looking at this all wrong. This is the Bears after all and when the assess this season they will decide that their kicker was adequate but not elite and will they will take the best one available. Maybe even a punter to better their chances of changing field position.

I agree with the building around Fields sentiment because he looks like a special athlete and, IMHO, has more talent than Jalen Hurts.
If the Bears didn't have such a horrible history of picking/developing QBs I would consider completely reloading this team and both trading Fields and the #1 pick because they have about 10 legitimate NFL starters currently on their roster. The GM appears to have done a good job last year and will hopefully make good decisions unlike his predecessors. Luckily the Bears have a chance at fixing this quickly because they have a ton of space under the salary cap so they can get free agents as well. It is so pathetic that their best defensive lineman had only 3 sacks. They have tremendous needs at 0 Line, WR, and D Line which is why they had the worst record in the NFL and could use the picks so they should definitely trade this pick.

Not a Chicago fan...own fields in dynasty, they absolutely need to stockpile some picks and trade down
Trade down, inside top 5 can still net them a blue chip defensive stalwart
Multiple trade downs but stay between 10 and 15 can net them still a solid tackle. NW Skoronski, or OSU, Paris Johnson

Fields had zero time to throw behind that OL. If he is your franchise qb, he has to be protected

You forgot 5 Indy. In fact now that they let Houston beat them, they might be most likely to pay the Price for Bryce
As a Lions fan, so do I.
Quite a few folks are mocking Stroud to the Lions.
Most people around Detroit are not expecting the Lions to draft a QB early. Goff was 5th in QBR last year and is on what is now a reasonable contract for the next two years. And he's only 28. Probably more importantly, the GM has always believed in him, the coach seems to be a big fan, and he works well with their young, creative OC. They'd have to absolutely fall in love with someone to take a replacement at #6.

They might take someone in the 2nd or the 3rd as a backup/developmental QB, but I'd be pretty surprised if Goff wasn't starting for them the next two years.

As a Lions fan, so do I.
Quite a few folks are mocking Stroud to the Lions.
Most people around Detroit are not expecting the Lions to draft a QB early. Goff was 5th in QBR last year and is on what is now a reasonable contract for the next two years. And he's only 28. Probably more importantly, the GM has always believed in him, the coach seems to be a big fan, and he works well with their young, creative OC. They'd have to absolutely fall in love with someone to take a replacement at #6.

They might take someone in the 2nd or the 3rd as a backup/developmental QB, but I'd be pretty surprised if Goff wasn't starting for them the next two years.
I believe the most likely scenario is a team leapfrogs HOU to take a QB. IMO the one that makes the most sense is INDY.

I can't see Irsay falling in love with a small QB, so I'm of the opinion they go up & take Stroud. Then HOU takes Young, and Levis goes to the Raiders, who then deal Carr to the Jets. Levis & Stidham compete for a 2023 starting gig.

I've also seen some mocks with INDY moving up to take Levis, which I struggle with - I don't think he's NFL ready. $10 arm, $0.10 head. He can't read an offense well & makes super bad decisions, believing a bit too much in his arm. He tries to force the ball into coverage way too often. He also frequently misses the 2nd man in coverage leading to some bad bad picks.

As a guy taking 2 QBs in the rookie draft, it's gonna be interesting if Levis somehow goes 1.01 in the NFL draft - I could see myself taking Young & Stroud anyway. I just don't believe Levis will go 1.01 though.

I know the Bears fans on here are saying they have to get one of the top to D Linemen but as as outsider looking in I think the ideal scenario for the Bears is to trade down to 4 with Indy, then trade down again and stockpile picks. Regardless of what their needs are on defense, their top priority (maybe their only priority) should be to significantly upgrade their Oline and WR's. They need to give Fields a chance to succeed and the only way to do that is to give him weapons and protection.

I know the Bears fans on here are saying they have to get one of the top to D Linemen but as as outsider looking in I think the ideal scenario for the Bears is to trade down to 4 with Indy, then trade down again and stockpile picks. Regardless of what their needs are on defense, their top priority (maybe their only priority) should be to significantly upgrade their Oline and WR's. They need to give Fields a chance to succeed and the only way to do that is to give him weapons and protection.
It's a full rebuild. Their defense is awful as well. Need a ton of OL and a couple WRs. If they are able to trade with Indy, they'd still get quite a bit in return. I'd take one of the top 2 DL there. Not sure how much more they could get at #4 if someone wanted Levis that bad. I'd rather take the elite talent there than acquire a few more picks us lesser talent, unless they could somehow stockpile more 1st round picks trading down from there.

It's a full rebuild. Their defense is awful as well. Need a ton of OL and a couple WRs. If they are able to trade with Indy, they'd still get quite a bit in return. I'd take one of the top 2 DL there. Not sure how much more they could get at #4 if someone wanted Levis that bad. I'd rather take the elite talent there than acquire a few more picks us lesser talent, unless they could somehow stockpile more 1st round picks trading down from there.
Quite a bit actually.

And the beauty is once they’re at 4, they’ve likely still got DET, LVR, & CAR who need QB, and likely Levis hyped up enough for one of those teams to make an offer.

IMO the ideal scenario for the bears is if INDY deals up to 1.01 to take Stroud, HOU takes Young, and they get those other 3 teams in a bidding war for Levis. They likely pick up a 2nd and a 3rd to drop back just 3-4 spots where they’re still likely going to get a difference-making DL.

That’s an awful lot of draft capital in return for not really losing much - especially if it’s DET or LVR. I might not do a CAR deal as they drops them to 9, but if CAR makes a significant offer it’s probably still worth it.

Bears lucked out so much that the Texans are idiots.

Quite a bit actually.

And the beauty is once they’re at 4, they’ve likely still got DET, LVR, & CAR who need QB, and likely Levis hyped up enough for one of those teams to make an offer.

IMO the ideal scenario for the bears is if INDY deals up to 1.01 to take Stroud, HOU takes Young, and they get those other 3 teams in a bidding war for Levis. They likely pick up a 2nd and a 3rd to drop back just 3-4 spots where they’re still likely going to get a difference-making DL.

That’s an awful lot of draft capital in return for not really losing much - especially if it’s DET or LVR. I might not do a CAR deal as they drops them to 9, but if CAR makes a significant offer it’s probably still worth it.

Sounds great but I feel like expecting it to play out that great is asking a lot. We shall see

if they
Not a Chicago fan...own fields in dynasty, they absolutely need to stockpile some picks and trade down
Trade down, inside top 5 can still net them a blue chip defensive stalwart
Multiple trade downs but stay between 10 and 15 can net them still a solid tackle. NW Skoronski, or OSU, Paris Johnson

Fields had zero time to throw behind that OL. If he is your franchise qb, he has to be protected

if they keep fields they must draft oline and wr and a blocking te.

Chicago currently has eight draft selections in the 2023 NFL draft. Here’s a look at the those picks, where all are final except the ones they acquired from the Ravens and Eagles (with both in the postseason).

• Round 1, No. 1 overall
  • Round 2, No. 56 overall (from Ravens)
  • Round 3, No. 65 overall
  • Round 4, No. 103 overall
  • Round 4, No. 134 overall (from Eagles)
  • Round 5, No. 136 overall
  • Round 5, No. 148/159 overall (from Ravens)*
  • Round 7, No. 220 overall
It’s reasonable to assume this list will grow closer to the draft, as Poles has already shown he’s no stranger to trading back and acquiring additional capital. And with no shortage of roster holes, the Bears can use all of the draft picks they can get. Lucky for them, that No. 1 overall pick gives them the upper hand.

Quite a bit actually.

Sounds great but I feel like expecting it to play out that great is asking a lot. We shall see
Oh it’s all smoke and BS right now.

But then, it is smoke and BS season, and I can throw crap against the wall with the best of them.

Chicago currently has eight draft selections in the 2023 NFL draft. Here’s a look at the those picks, where all are final except the ones they acquired from the Ravens and Eagles (with both in the postseason).

• Round 1, No. 1 overall
It’s reasonable to assume this list will grow closer to the draft, as Poles has already shown he’s no stranger to trading back and acquiring additional capital. And with no shortage of roster holes, the Bears can use all of the draft picks they can get. Lucky for them, that No. 1 overall pick gives them the upper hand.
Wonder if one of those picks could be swapped for DeAndre Hopkins? Seems like a quick fix to their WR woes.

Wonder if one of those picks could be swapped for DeAndre Hopkins? Seems like a quick fix to their WR woes.
Hopkins seems like he’d be a better fit on a contender than a rebuild.

It’s a pricey contract for a 30+ year old oft-injured WR, and by the time the Bears are really competing he’s 32?

I don’t like that at all for the Bears. Better to trade back from 1 and use that capital to draft Josh Downs or Zay Flowers in the 2nd. They have cap space to add a FA WR, but I don’t see targeting Hopins as a path forward.

Hopkins likely wants to play on a contender, too. I could see DAL taking a shot at him.

As a wheeler and dealer in fantasy, I'd absolutely love to see the Bears trade down to #2 with Houston and then flip the #2 to Indy for the #4. Poles would forced be my favorite GM on the planet!

(It ain't gonna happen, but man would it be awesome!)

As a wheeler and dealer in fantasy, I'd absolutely love to see the Bears trade down to #2 with Houston and then flip the #2 to Indy for the #4. Poles would forced be my favorite GM on the planet!

A reverse pyramid scheme?

It’s a pricey contract for a 30+ year old oft-injured WR, and by the time the Bears are really competing he’s 32?

I don’t like that at all for the Bears. Better to trade back from 1 and use that capital to draft Josh Downs or Zay Flowers in the 2nd. They have cap space to add a FA WR, but I don’t see targeting Hopins as a path forward.

Hopkins likely wants to play on a contender, too. I could see DAL taking a shot at him.
I'd rather see them get a young guy like Pittman. Supposedly he doesn't want to stay in Indy and, if so, I'm sure he could be included in a draft day deal.

I'd rather see them get a young guy like Pittman. Supposedly he doesn't want to stay in Indy and, if so, I'm sure he could be included in a draft day deal.
I think earlier itt I posed a reasonable 1.1 for Colts 1 (1.4), Pittman, Colts 2 (2.4) trade.

Gotta trade down if you're the Bears. Way to many holes. Stockpile 2024 picks if it's the best deal.
They don't have the kind of roster where they're a "couple of players away".

Gotta trade down if you're the Bears. Way to many holes. Stockpile 2024 picks if it's the best deal.
I dunno - they have a lot of cap space, and could wind up with an extra 2023 2nd, along with an elite defensive player & maybe a 2nd round WR & OL. Bolster the OL & receiving corps further through FA & they might well compete in 2023.

Yes, they’re more than a player or 2 away, but they can certainly obtain those players. Mooney should be back for camp, too.

Now that's exactly what I'd like to see! 2 trade downs and end up at 4.

Now that's exactly what I'd like to see! 2 trade downs and end up at 4.
More likely they trade to 4, then to 6 or 7.

But that would be very profitable for as well.

I dunno - they have a lot of cap space, and could wind up with an extra 2023 2nd, along with an elite defensive player & maybe a 2nd round WR & OL. Bolster the OL & receiving corps further through FA & they might well compete in 2023.

Yes, they’re more than a player or 2 away, but they can certainly obtain those players. Mooney should be back for camp, too.
I think they could go a long way in addressing the OL in FA. Not much in the way of WR in FA this year. I'm not big on taking WRs in the first couple rounds, unless it's just a steal. They have tons of holes on defense as well, but it definitely has to start with building around the QB. I'm just big on either Anderson or Carter in the first. Both elite DL who would go in the top of any draft at DL. Would to build around those guys on defense. Maybe go heavy OL in the 2nd and then WR after. I really haven't gotten into who would be available at that point yet, though.

Early process says do a deal with the Colts and stay in the top 4. They should still get an elite defensive culture changer there, a 2024 1st, and the 2023 Colts 2nd rounder.

Not enough? Maybe you can get a player like Pittman (who’s due for an extension) for Fields to throw to.

Early process says do a deal with the Colts and stay in the top 4. They should still get an elite defensive culture changer there, a 2024 1st, and the 2023 Colts 2nd rounder.

Not enough? Maybe you can get a player like Pittman (who’s due for an extension) for Fields to throw to.
I would think the 2021 1.04. A 2nd, and a 2024 2nd would get it done.

I doubt the Bears would agree. The precedent is 3 1sts+, and that deal has been made for the 3rd pick in the draft (Trey Lance). Granted, that was for the 12th pick overall, not the 4th. But with the Bears also obviously knowing the Colts are jumping a QB needy division rival they can hold them hostage.

There are at least 3 other teams needing a QB that are still in the top 10 that would give up multiple 1sts. If they choose to trade it they'll get a haul.

They'd get more of a haul trading 1.1 vs. trading Justin Fields. People "love" the mystery box dilemma.

"A boats a boat...but a box...a box can be anything! It could even be a boat! You know how long we've wanted one of those."
Interesting. I think I'd prefer Fields to the 1.1 because we have a pretty good idea of what we're getting with Fields.

ETA: Great Family Guy reference!

I doubt the Bears would agree. The precedent is 3 1sts+, and that deal has been made for the 3rd pick in the draft (Trey Lance). Granted, that was for the 12th pick overall, not the 4th. But with the Bears also obviously knowing the Colts are jumping a QB needy division rival they can hold them hostage.

There are at least 3 other teams needing a QB that are still in the top 10 that would give up multiple 1sts. If they choose to trade it they'll get a haul.
Ballard will stay at 4 if the Bears try to get too much and 3 1sts is too much given they are getting the 4 back. The Bears want one of those 2 defensive players and won't get that moving down much further, so the Bears aren't holding the Colts hostage at all IMO.

Ballard will stay at 4 if the Bears try to get too much and 3 1sts is too much given they are getting the 4 back. The Bears want one of those 2 defensive players and won't get that moving down much further, so the Bears aren't holding the Colts hostage at all IMO.
I’ve started to wonder why the Colts would jump to 1 as many assume when they can trade up to 3 for seemingly much cheaper.

Colts are more likely to target Stroud than Young, and Young likely goes 1.02 to the Texans.

And the Cards aren’t likely to take a QB, so maybe just stay at 4 & get Stroud anyway.

The only reason to make a deal is if you’re convinced the Texans are gonna take Stroud.

• Round 1, No. 1 overall
This would work if the Bears were a WR away from contending. No reason to acquire an aging Hopkins when you're rebuilding.

I’d bet a very large sum those two QBs go #1 and #2. If the Colts stay at 4 they can have the QB that can easily endorse jeans I guess?

Users who are viewing this thread