What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Getcha passports ready - the middle-aged dummies are going to the British Isles! Top 31 song countdown. (1 Viewer)

Tomorrow!

In addition to three different Sweet songs :lol:, we'll have
- duplicates of a whole lot of songs already taken - thank god for 2/3 of the Eephuses, KP, OH, and titus
- the first appearance by the second of our Big Three
- Joe Jackson continuing to dominate as this countdown's Tom Petty
- the loss of yet three more of the Ace Award guesses from the following list :lmao:

Five votes:
Bitter Sweet Symphony - The Verve

Four votes:
Son Of A Preacher Man - Dusty Springfield

Two votes:
Tainted Love - Soft Cell
In The Summertime - Mungo Jerry

One vote:
She Blinded Me With Science - Thomas Dolby
Tell Laura I Love Her - Ricky Valance
A Whiter Shade Of Pale - Procol Harum
Cruel To Be Kind - Nick Lowe
Song 2 - Blur
Damaged Goods - Gang of Four
One Night In Bangkok - Murray Head
I Will Wait - Mumford and Sons
Time Of The Season - The Zombies
Everybody Wants To Rule The World - Tears for Fears
Wild Thing - Troggs
Bang A Gong (Get It On) - T. Rex
Freedom '90 - George Michael
You Got Another Thing Coming - Judas Priest

WHY DOES EL FLOPPO KEEP POSTING IN HERE???
I quashed the temptation to change mine today. Wish I could photoshop a Union Jack into Bowser's backdrop.

EDIT: Once again I find myself lacking in life skills.

This is the best I could find

I remember thinking Sha Na Na must be good because I read in TV Guide that Alice Cooper was going to be this week's guest.

Or maybe I don't remember that.

Additional category time! Because songs I discovered earlier in the countdown aren’t quite “don’t know”, yet feel incorrect to be called “recognized”.

#30s
Recognized by title alone: 21
Sounded familiar: 4
Knew from this countdown: 1
Didn't know: 18

Selected Favorites:
Fairytale of New York (Don Quixote)
Take Me Out (scorchy)
Missing (Eephus) - My brain seems to have absorbed a remix more, so for a song I know well, this felt rather fresh.
No One Is To Blame (krista4)

Songs I didn't know that I ended up liking:
Right to Be Wrong (DrIanMalcolm)
Diamonds (Andy Dufresne)
Naive (Hov34)
The Saints Are Coming (Doug B)

Caught up on the 1 pointers....my faves of the round are....

@New Binky the Doormat....Personal Jesus, Depeche Mode....this song has always oozed cool, and it still does.

@Don Quixote .....Teenage kicks, by the Undertones....new to me, and I dug it!

@Hawks64 ......Long Distance Run Around.....its a workout, but I generally like epic proggy stuff. Yes is about as epic proggy as you can get.

@Pip's Invitation ......Nine Feet Underground, by Caravan.....new to me, and pretty cool. Its one I will fire up again.

@landrys hat .....All day and all of the Night, by the Kinks.....heard it a million times, never really gets old.

@Mt. Man .....Neat, Neat, Neat, the Damned....I'm not much of a punk guy but I did not want to skip this one

It looks like I am repeating a lot of the kudos from today, but here are my shoutouts:

RIGHT TO BE WRONG - JOSS STONE @DrIanMalcolm Oh my, that voice. :wub:

STARRY EYES - THE RECORDS @Westerberg never heard of artist or song before. Great power-pop sounding tune.

PAPER PLANES - M.I.A. @rockaction I am sure I've heard this, and it's probably been drafted but it was not knocking loose any cobwebs in my head today and it sounded new.

THE MEXICAN - BABE RUTH @zamboni I was hooked from that amazing opening 45secs or so.

HERE COMES THE NIGHT - THEM/VAN MORRISON @Oliver Humanzee I was getting a faint whiff of something from Reservoir Dogs here.

Others that hit me: Of course the Hollies tune, No One Is To Blame, Just Like Heaven, and I Melt with You.
@MAC_32 - I dig the tune. You would have one the draft if it was my random guess of George Michael, AND you took the song I was obsessing over last night. ;)

I think that makes 10 songs from 10 different drafters for me so far. :thumbup:

Last edited:
PAPER PLANES - M.I.A. @rockaction I am sure I've heard this, and it's probably been drafted but it was not knocking loose any cobwebs in my head today and it sounded new.
It was in Slumdog Millionaire if that connects the dots for you. Had I known M.I.A. were british like other mid aughts hip hop in the US version this absolutely would have made my cut. What a jam.

It was in Slumdog Millionaire if that connects the dots for you. Had I known M.I.A. were british like other mid aughts hip hop in the US version this absolutely would have made my cut. What a jam.
I've tried to forget I watched that movie. ;)

I am sure it was on mulitple playlists and drafts, but it just didn't stick in my brain for some reason.

@MAC_32 - I dig the tune. You would have one the draft if it was my random guess of George Michael, AND you took the song I was obsessing over last night.
Besides the obvious I'm not sure I could even name another George Michael song (only kinda kidding). Careless Whisper is all about that sax riff. Like 'Lights' I've always thought this would make for an outstanding hard rock cover (not a fan of Seether's), but I very much enjoy this acoustic rendition.

@MAC_32 - I dig the tune. You would have one the draft if it was my random guess of George Michael, AND you took the song I was obsessing over last night.
Besides the obvious I'm not sure I could even name another George Michael song (only kinda kidding). Careless Whisper is all about that sax riff. Like 'Light' I've always thought this would make for an outstanding hard rock cover (not a fan of Seether's), but I very much enjoy this acoustic rendition.
I listened to his debut last night and forgot how many damn good tunes are on that one.

Today is ignorance day. Ignorance night.

Badfinger, dude. Sounds like McCartney is fronting them. I always thought it was a Paul solo effort. WTF? That's who sings that song?

Man, my seventies are really weak.

I thought The Records were from Illinois because it was the only thing on Spotify. I think I even picked them in Summerpalooza IV for the Chicago Bears, IIRC. Utterly awesome song.

Oh my God. Everything But The Girl. I never knew...

And I miss you/like the deserts miss the rain

As far as new-to-me and cool, The Kooks with a jangly pop aughts sound. They could be a janglier Hot Hot Heat. I like it a bunch. "Are 'Friends' Electric" has a cool sound. Gary Numan was among my first twenty-five out. "Perserverance" was a cool track.

As far as known to me and getting a surprise reprise, Howard Jones and Spandau Ballet are totally reminding me of seventh grade. That's not a good thing, usually (tough year), but these are great songs. The dude in Spandau always had pipes. Still does, because I saw them on television at a festival with an interesting golden backdrop. Hence "Gold," I guess.

As far as known to me, still outstanding, and always are/always have been, you've got Franz Ferndiand and "Take Me Out," The Zombies and "She's Not There," "Rehab" by Amy Winehouse, and "Just Like Heaven" by The Cure. I love all these tracks.

My Tubeway Army pick was just something that I stumbled on a few years ago doing research for I am guessing some version of the Genrepalooza drafts. I knew of a couple Numan songs from later on, but hadn't heard of that band. Just an odd little song that kept growing on me and finding it's way into my rotation.

I fully didn't expect that one to land with many others, but I am holding out hope tomorrow's pick might get a few nibbles. :popcorn:

Can I drop hints about my favorite 8-minute track?
No. Only hints about 20+ minute tracks are allowed and Pip's already called dibs on all of them.
Technically I have only listed one 20-minute track so far…
I don't like the sound of this. ;)
Good news - Iron Butterfly, ineligible.
Thank-Gadda-Da-Vida ??
That sounds like rock and/or roll

Today is ignorance day. Ignorance night.

Badfinger, dude. Sounds like McCartney is fronting them. I always thought it was a Paul solo effort. WTF? That's who sings that song?

Man, my seventies are really weak.

I thought The Records were from Illinois because it was the only thing on Spotify. I think I even picked them in Summerpalooza IV for the Chicago Bears, IIRC. Utterly awesome song.

Oh my God. Everything But The Girl. I never knew...

And I miss you/like the deserts miss the rain

As far as new-to-me and cool, The Kooks with a jangly pop aughts sound. They could be a janglier Hot Hot Heat. I like it a bunch. "Are 'Friends' Electric" has a cool sound. Gary Numan was among my first twenty-five out. "Perserverance" was a cool track.

As far as known to me and getting a surprise reprise, Howard Jones and Spandau Ballet are totally reminding me of seventh grade. That's not a good thing, usually (tough year), but these are great songs. The dude in Spandau always had pipes. Still does, because I saw them on television at a festival with an interesting golden backdrop. Hence "Gold," I guess.

As far as known to me, still outstanding, and always are/always have been, you've got Franz Ferndiand and "Take Me Out," The Zombies and "She's Not There," "Rehab" by Amy Winehouse, and "Just Like Heaven" by The Cure. I love all these tracks.
My wife is a big fan. I also forgot about them and have ended up loving a lot of their tracks over the years as she played them, but until the last 5 or so years I had myself convinced that I didn't like that type of music she listened to and couldn't be bothered with digging deeper.

Let’s talk about OH’s pick “Here Comes the Night”.

I had it on my original list, but that commercial that's been running non-stop the past few months had me swatting gnats in my head with imaginary hands. I couldn't stand it, so out went the song and in went something else.

But you're right. That's a great song that changes from a shuffle in the verse to a stomp in the chorus.

STOMP STOMP STOMP

I still love all the songs I ended up with on my 31, but one slight lesson I learned is that even after cutting it down to my official 31, I should listen to my playlist many times. The last couple nights after listening to the day's mix, I fire up my playlist on random starting at the song that is coming up for the next day's list. Tomorrow is one that in hindsight should be a bit higher, my #3 probably should be my #1, things like that.

Users who are viewing this thread