What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Alone ( A real survival type show) (3 Viewers)

I was rooting for the hippy chick, i thought she had it in her, but it seemed like Juan Pablo could have made it 10+ more days.

I like the ways they are trying to get around the rules. Was it last season a guy showed up with died hair so he could make a fishing fly? And the girl in Frozen who brought an oversized sweater that she could take apart and use yarn from it to mark her traps. Could lead to a slippery slope "Yes this 20 foot long thing is just a shirt that I am going to wear..."

The latest episode is streaming on the history channels website right now... I watched it over lunch and the ads sucked. The bear attack was amazing, I can not believe that it was caught on camera like that.

This Frozen season was a good experiment, but a failure in my book. If it was the first season of this show, I think I would have tapped out. I was just underwhelmed all the way around.

This Frozen season was a good experiment, but a failure in my book. If it was the first season of this show, I think I would have tapped out. I was just underwhelmed all the way around.

I think, but could be convinced otherwise, that the issue was having former contestants instead of newbies. As much as I was a fan of most of them, the fact that they had that memory of how their bodies reacted to their prior seasons caused at least half of them to tap out before they got to a true breaking point. I'd still like the format, with a new group of people. And Winoya was totally badass in any case.

I think, but could be convinced otherwise, that the issue was having former contestants instead of newbies. As much as I was a fan of most of them, the fact that they had that memory of how their bodies reacted to their prior seasons caused at least half of them to tap out before they got to a true breaking point. I'd still like the format, with a new group of people. And Winoya was totally badass in any case.
I agree. I assume Alone thought "Hey these people will know what to do, and it will be 150% from day 1" and then the contestants were like "Oh crap it is day 10 and I am already feeling those pains that caused me to tap last time and took 30 days to recover from, where is my sat phone."

That said, the final 3 kicked ***, although Winoya talking about how you always needed to be safe, while walking on a frozen stream, seemed like bad ju-ju, and then she cut her finger. Some of the eating of the small game seemed off. LIke you get a fox, and 2 days later it is all gone and you are starving. I am sure it was just editing and I missed where they showed what day it was, but with the final 3 there was no trying to smoke meat for later. And in the land of the polar bear, I was surprised how it seemed like every person would just butcher their kills right outside their tents.

just binged Season 8 (Grizzlies, Biko, etc) and then caught up on the comments here.

Man you guys are rough on Theresa (aka fake accent lady, aka Mary Poppins). She was a little annoying, but smart and had a good disposition. Gladly take a season of that over cray cray lady from Season 9.
No one thought of Yukon Cornelius when looking at Colton?
Why didn't Clay try to kill another deer in that spot?

Has anybody watched Outlast on Netflix? It’s alone, with total psychopaths.
Those two extra-psychos were SO over the top. I was shocked they were not assaulted, and disappointed with their outcome. The worst part is how positive they were about being the good guys or whatever.

What a train wreck of a show.

Has anybody watched Outlast on Netflix? It’s alone, with total psychopaths.
Those two extra-psychos were SO over the top. I was shocked they were not assaulted, and disappointed with their outcome. The worst part is how positive they were about being the good guys or whatever.

What a train wreck of a show.
I can’t stand it. The one guy who just let them walk all over him, come on dude. Fight fire with fire. Like literally go light their camp on fire or something.

Are all the episodes out or do they release a new one each week?
They’re all there. About 45 minutes each. Might take longer as you will likely re-watch scenes from episode 5 in anger multiple times.
I read the reviews on IMDb. People hate this show! I’ll probably try it out of curiosity.
LOL watching episode 7 now with my wife and literally just said ok I’m tired of this show now. They probably made it two episodes too long.

I asked the fam last night when it started and when we checked into it, we realized the first episode had already aired. We watched it last night. Some interesting characters.

Discussion about the episode below:

Lee drove me nuts when I first saw/heard him but by the end of the episode he had won me over! My family is loving him but not expecting him to win as they spent a lot of time with him last night, so we figure he’s going soon.

The Wyoming chick trying to build a log cabin is dumb in my opinion. Burning a lot of energy. I guess if she can get it built and start getting food, she will be good, but I doubt that is likely to happen.

The Wyoming dude really messed up when he lost his arrows!

The Hawaiian Dude has a John Daley belly that might sustain him for a few months!!

The dude that thinks his dad was the owl is off to a good start!

I hope the food resources stay up so it’s not a starvation contest.

The Wyoming chick trying to build a log cabin is dumb in my opinion. Burning a lot of energy. I guess if she can get it built and start getting food, she will be good, but I doubt that is likely to happen.

They are allowed to bring food as some of their 10 items. Some people do that to give themselves a little time before they have to start acquiring it in the wild. Personally, I think building a good shelter early is important. These people who build a lean to with their tarp as a roof seem to always neglect having a proper shelter by the time winter hits, and you burn so many more calories trying to keep warm. It hurts their chances significantly. IIRC Roland prioritized his rock house early on. I even remember him commenting about how much energy he was burning building it but he felt it was a great long term strategy. I think he is right on that.

Edit - Just checked. Jodi did not bring food as one of her 10 survival items:

Favorite line of episode 2 - “Holy Cow!”

If you saw the episode, you know.
I saw and have forgotten. remind me?

but I'm liking these players... the guy with the flat raft seems off to a great start.

and I agree about getting shelter going now- not just temporary. burn the calories while you're still strong and carrying extra weight to avoid early starvation

Favorite line of episode 2 - “Holy Cow!”

If you saw the episode, you know.
I saw and have forgotten. remind me?

but I'm liking these players... the guy with the flat raft seems off to a great start.

and I agree about getting shelter going now- not just temporary. burn the calories while you're still strong and carrying extra weight to avoid early starvation
When the Brazilian was “warming up” his smoked fish.

btw... I don't remember a season where a contestant has actually had a shot and taken it against a bear.

with the rafts and big game hunters here, this one might go a long time.

I completely lack the ability to make one, and they are doubtless more effective than anything I would come up with in a similar situation, but the Gilligan’s Island meets the Flintstones carved fishing reels always crack me up.

It’s 50/50 if I would burn down the whole beach trying to preserve my catch though.

Users who are viewing this thread