What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Suggest an Album for Me (1 Viewer)

I've got the day to myself. Some yard work, grilling, relaxing outside. I want to dig into some albums. Fire away suggestions and I'll give feedback.

The only rules are:
  • It' s 80 out, beautiful sunny day. Let's try to match that, no bleak of the midwinter BS today
  • I have neighbors so it needs to be family friendly and nothing that's going to make my neighbors think I am psycho either
  • Needs to be available on Spotify
Beyond that, anything goes regardless of genre, age, etc.
I just stumbled upon this album thanks to the Algorithm. It's hard rocking garage rock with a pinch of psychedelic spice. Probably fails the neighbor test, but it will pass teh six-pack test later for me once I return to my cozy confines.

Album: Floating Coffin

I've got the day to myself. Some yard work, grilling, relaxing outside. I want to dig into some albums. Fire away suggestions and I'll give feedback.

The only rules are:
  • It' s 80 out, beautiful sunny day. Let's try to match that, no bleak of the midwinter BS today
  • I have neighbors so it needs to be family friendly and nothing that's going to make my neighbors think I am psycho either
  • Needs to be available on Spotify
Beyond that, anything goes regardless of genre, age, etc.

Milkshake - Happy Songs

Speaking of garage rock, from a backyard near yours, check out Outrageous Cherry. Very pop sounding. Don't have a specific album recommendation.

Speaking of garage rock, from a backyard near yours, check out Outrageous Cherry. Very pop sounding. Don't have a specific album recommendation.

Met a 72 year old engineer friend for dinner a few weeks back. I asked him what it was like being in high school in the 60s & he told a story about winning a battle of the bands contest put on by a local radio station (Melbourne, FL) back in 1968. He was 17, summer before he went off to college at Georgia Tech. What made this so hilarious is Kerry is the most linear, straight laced dude you'd ever meet. The imagine of him jamming with a bunch of long haired hippies was totally incongruous.

First prize was an hour in the studio to record two songs for a 45. He said they pressed like 500 copies, and joked his mom bought half of them. He told me the name of the band & the two songs they recorded, which I jotted down in my phone when I had a moment.

I got home and Googled them - holy cow, somebody uploaded both songs on YouTube!

A Side - Burlington Squires - World (1968) 1:48

B Side - Burlington Squires - Back Up (1968) 2:10

Tell you what, for a bunch of self-taught teenagers that ain't half bad. Both songs later appeared on a compilation album called "Psychedelic States Vol 3 - Florida in the 60s."

Always fun learning something new about a friend you've known for years.

Vampire Weekend - S/T

Sonic Youth - Rather Ripped*

*I would actually highly encourage this one.

Search for "The Best Of The Girl Groups Volume 1" on Spotify and go to the Rhino list made by EliCash. It's a public playlist. Get back to me.
Google has made you the next winner and based on things I’m already familiar with and your asterisk, I’m going Sonic Youth.

Met a 72 year old engineer friend for dinner a few weeks back. I asked him what it was like being in high school in the 60s & he told a story about winning a battle of the bands contest put on by a local radio station (Melbourne, FL) back in 1968. He was 17, summer before he went off to college at Georgia Tech. What made this so hilarious is Kerry is the most linear, straight laced dude you'd ever meet. The imagine of him jamming with a bunch of long haired hippies was totally incongruous.

First prize was an hour in the studio to record two songs for a 45. He said they pressed like 500 copies, and joked his mom bought half of them. He told me the name of the band & the two songs they recorded, which I jotted down in my phone when I had a moment.

I got home and Googled them - holy cow, somebody uploaded both songs on YouTube!

A Side - Burlington Squires - World (1968) 1:48

B Side - Burlington Squires - Back Up (1968) 2:10

Tell you what, for a bunch of self-taught teenagers that ain't half bad. Both songs later appeared on a compilation album called "Psychedelic States Vol 3 - Florida in the 60s."

Always fun learning something new about a friend you've known for years.
Those are pretty good! 👍

I’m going Sonic Youth.

Sweet. It's a jammier/poppier Sonic Youth. Still great riffs throughout without a ton of distortion or dissonance. "Incinerate" is the standout of the album, IMO.

There are still experimental rumbles, though. Keeps it interesting.
Was nice and jammy for my evening walk. I liked it. Obviously the guitar work is the star. I am only semi-familiar with Sonic Youth. I enjoyed her songs more than the guy's. Reena, Incinerate and Turquoise Boy were my favorites.

I enjoyed her songs more than the guy's

I agree. I liked the first two songs the best also, with "Turquoise Boy" a close third. Kim Gordon and Thurston Moore always sort of alternated vocals, but here she gets the benefit of the better backing tracks, save for "Incinerate." Neither of the two can really sing a lick, but that's not what they were about as a band, really. Figured it might be a nice dusk album to listen to.

I enjoyed her songs more than the guy's

I agree. I liked the first two songs the best also, with "Turquoise Boy" a close third. Kim Gordon and Thurston Moore always sort of alternated vocals, but here she gets the benefit of the better backing tracks, save for "Incinerate." Neither of the two can really sing a lick, but that's not what they were about as a band, really. Figured it might be a nice dusk album to listen to.
Yeah it was great. Not quite dusk here yet, still really sunny...this time of the year dusk doesn't come until about 10:00 PM here. Still it had a great pace to it to keep me moving. The guitar work (which I know their big thing) was excellent. Loved it even on the lesser songs.

Love the Cake call. On the other hand, Yessongs strikes me as a fall or winter album, definitely not summer (though it is an all-time favorite of mine).

I'll offer Chris Isaak "San Francisco Days" or the Sundays "Reading, Writing and Arithmetic" or, oooh, "Billy Breathes" from Phish.

Tubeway Army
Replicas

I was listening to their peel sessions the other day.
Peel sessions are some of my favorite recordings and I’ve found a lot of great bands doing covers I'd never heard. Really liked Sonic Youth doing Fall songs and Nirvana doing D7 is just incredible.

If anyone’s interested i found a great resource for peel sessions on YouTube.
https://davestrickson.blogspot.com/2020/05/john-peel-sessions.html?m=1

Dire Straits - Brothers In Arms?
So far it plays like a Dire Straits Greatest Hits album. I can only imagine how crazy people must have been going for this album when it came out. I am excited to hear the rest now that the big hitters are done. Can it keep it's momentum?
I like the whole thing. Back when the album came out, pretty much every song got air play. I like the non hits too, but not sure if others would feel the same.
This is my go to relaxation album. "can't get no sleeves for my records..."

Cake - Motorcade of Generosity.
This was grilling and eating album. When Google chose this, I was worried. I generally don't like Cake. Then I read the Wikipedia page and saw it received pretty much unanimously bad reviews. So maybe those low expectations helped because I enjoyed it. It went on a little long for me and felt all a little too similar after awhile but it was something I never ever would have listened to without this and I did generally like it.

Rolling Stones Still Life 1982 on Spotify
I missed this earlier. I actually am familiar with this one because of the 2 Motown covers (and it was released a day before I was born). So while I like it, it's not eligible since I've heard it before.

Users who are viewing this thread