What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

FBG'S TOP 100 PINK FLOYD SONGS - #01 - Comfortably Numb from The Wall (1979) (1 Viewer)

I wonder how many people's list would look completely different if we submitted our top 25 at the end of the countdown?

Mine would be different toward the bottom half. 1-12 or so would likely not change much, other than a position or two depending on how I felt that day. Dogs and Sheep would make the list, probably at the expense of Welcome to the Machine and Run Like Hell, which would drop into the ever-expanding #26 spot. The Trial would drop down, but probably not off altogether.

Yeah, it makes zero sense to say a certain song is repetitive, as the verses are very different from the choruses, and the solo
sections are different as well, but it’s clear that certain persons want to make this thread a clown show, and it was all but endorsed by the thread starter. It’s why I’ve stopped commenting on songs. I’ll read to the end, but trying to have real chatter now feels like a waste of time.

Yeah, it makes zero sense to say a certain song is repetitive, as the verses are very different from the choruses, and the solo
sections are different as well, but it’s clear that certain persons want to make this thread a clown show, and it was all but endorsed by the thread starter. It’s why I’ve stopped commenting on songs. I’ll read to the end, but trying to have real chatter now feels like a waste of time.
It's just my opinion. I speak for nobody else. Not sure why that makes people mad. Who cares, scroll on. Lotta gatekeeping in the ffa these days I guess.

but so repetitive to me
There's two verses and two chorus' with two guitar driven bridges - how is it possibly repetative?
The radio stations played it every 4th song, over and over.
You should've changed the channel once you noticed that pattern.
Yeah, once you hear that opening “bummmm” note, how can you not change the channel?
Are there songs by other artists that make you feel crappy when they come on. Wheel in the Sky does it for me. Other songs make me feel all amped up, like Slow Ride by fog hat. Everyone is different.

You guys prefer we have an "Everything is Awsome" thread every time?

I wonder how many people's list would look completely different if we submitted our top 25 at the end of the countdown?

Mine would be different toward the bottom half. 1-12 or so would likely not change much, other than a position or two depending on how I felt that day. Dogs and Sheep would make the list, probably at the expense of Welcome to the Machine and Run Like Hell, which would drop into the ever-expanding #26 spot. The Trial would drop down, but probably not off altogether.
Mine would be mostly the same. I totally forgot Echoes. So I would have to think about where to place that. My list was pretty true to my taste, and I put alot of thought into it. I wished we did top thirty so I could have given Division Bell and older stuff a little more love.

but so repetitive to me
There's two verses and two chorus' with two guitar driven bridges - how is it possibly repetative?
Yeah, once you hear that opening “bummmm” note, how can you not change the channel?
Are there songs by other artists that make you feel crappy when they come on. Wheel in the Sky does it for me. Other songs make me feel all amped up, like Slow Ride by fog hat. Everyone is different.

There are tons for sure. Numb is just too epic to lump into those others, but maybe that’s just me.

I think The Final Cut is mediocre. But I haven’t felt the need to repeat over and over and over and over and over. the difference between expressing a negative opinion and repeating it over and over ad nauseam is more than obvious, but trolls gonna troll.

but so repetitive to me

There are tons for sure. Numb is just too epic to lump into those others, but maybe that’s just me.
And that's why I still ranked it pretty high. I can't listen to it, but acknowledge its a great song. I dunno.

but so repetitive to me

You didn't frame your argument that way and you know it. I know what you're doing and I feel dirty for even entering this conversation, as PF wouldn't be on my Top 500 (5,000?) artists of all time. I'll bow out now. Happy fishing.

I think The Final Cut is mediocre. But I haven’t felt the need to repeat over and over and over and over and over. the difference between expressing a negative opinion and repeating it over and over ad nauseam is more than obvious, but trolls gonna troll.
That was the first time I mentioned Comfortably Numb all thread? It's due to come up now? I gave a basic take on my feelings about its placement. One time, and not even bad. I EVEN RANKED IT!! Some of you take this stuff WAY to personal for some reason. It was a fun time waster for me. Thanks again @Anarchy99

but so repetitive to me

You didn't frame your argument that way and you know it. I know what you're doing and I feel dirty for even entering this conversation, as PF wouldn't be on my Top 500 (5,000?) artists of all time. I'll bow out now. Happy fishing.
I have been in a bunch of music drafts over the years with you. I always give my takes, nothing new. I honestly have no idea what you are talking about otherwise. "I know what you're doing and I feel dirty for even entering this conversation," sounds pretty paranoid to me. What am I doing now? I am talking music and having fun with old compadres. Nothing more. Some of you do take this WAY to serious imo.

but so repetitive to me

@Anarchy99 posted the live video of the last time Gilmour played with Waters in 2011. It's one of the first few posts on page one, in case anyone missed it. I bet I've watched that 30 times since, imagining myself there. Epic song, epic appearance. Just so good.

The crowd cheers when Gilmour is lit, slows a bit, then really cheers when they realize what's going on. And Waters looks to be genuinely having a blast with his old partner back. Man, that's good stuff. If I were there, I probably would have been fighting off tears, as I'm sure many there were.

but so repetitive to me

I have been in a bunch of music drafts over the years with you. I always give my takes, nothing new. I honestly have no idea what you are talking about otherwise. "I know what you're doing and I feel dirty for even entering this conversation," sounds pretty paranoid to me. What am I doing now? I am talking music and having fun with old compadres. Nothing more. Some of you do take this WAY to serious imo.
Please accept my apologies, PIK. I was out of line.

My top 15 or so would probably be the same but there would likely be differences later on. It was very much a "how I feel today" list rather than any systematic methodology.
My list would be pretty different now that I have really dug into PF. I still would not include muc,h, if any, of the early Syd stuff because itis still way too weird for me.

but so repetitive to me

When some one is looking for a reaction they’re going to get one sometimes.

but so repetitive to me

You were fine. I do appreciate it. I'm just misunderstood sometimes. Simey knows, lol. I legit just woke up and reacted to where we were. It was 100% authentic. Usually I don't comment much, but in the spirit of keeping Anarchy engaged, I decided to be more active. It is what it is. I also don't mind when people attack my takes (or even me really), but I will try and respond at least. I submitted my buddies list which I thought was pretty bad, and so opposed to my list, but he really believes in it. I love the effort and the writeups from Anarchy. That's really all that matters in this thread IN MY OPINION.

IN MY OPINION
Your opinions are fine - I only took fault with your faulty “logic” and mis-using the English language.

if you hate a song that doesn’t affect my enjoyment - if you’d rather listen to Division Bell than The Wall that doesn’t affect me (I just feel a little sorry for you 😀).

I called out what you we’re doing as “shtick” originally and laughed it off - I think the fact that you so proudly showed your disdain for a beloved album over and over and over and over is why it became annoying to some.

My top 15 or so would probably be the same but there would likely be differences later on. It was very much a "how I feel today" list rather than any systematic methodology.
Same here, I think my bottom 10 would be a bit different after spending time reading the write ups and listening to some of the older stuff.

IN MY OPINION
Your opinions are fine - I only took fault with your faulty “logic” and mis-using the English language.

if you hate a song that doesn’t affect my enjoyment - if you’d rather listen to Division Bell than The Wall that doesn’t affect me (I just feel a little sorry for you 😀).

I called out what you we’re doing as “shtick” originally and laughed it off - I think the fact that you so proudly showed your disdain for a beloved album over and over and over and over is why it became annoying to some.
Yep, and that’s why it’s trolling. If it was about a bottom feeder Floyd album, I doubt he’d be bad mouthing it this much, but he’s obviously doing it because he knows it’s a very popular album, thus he’s trying get reactions. That trolling 101.

IN MY OPINION
This is a ridiculous thing to say to ANYONE fwiw. I can take it, but I suspect many people would not react positively to it. Just saying. Kinda like how my lady friends react to "mansplaining" as they call it. I was gonna say condescending, but I don't have a great grasp of the english language apparently.

IN MY OPINION

Yep, and that’s why it’s trolling. If it was about a bottom feeder Floyd album, I doubt he’d be bad mouthing it this much, but he’s obviously doing it because he knows it’s a very popular album, thus he’s trying get reactions. That trolling 101.
Can't it be I just hate it? Because I do obviously. I don't waste time here trolling. I barely want to even be here lately. Facebook and comment sections are where I would troll if I had to.

IN MY OPINION
This is a ridiculous thing to say to ANYONE fwiw. I can take it, but I suspect many people would not react positively to it. Just saying. Kinda like how my lady friends react to "mansplaining" as they call it. I was gonna say condescending, but I don't have a great grasp of the english language apparently.
You’re the one that said a song is repetitive because you’ve heard it a lot. Sorry but that’s faulty logic and not proper use of the word - and on a message board it may get called out.

I guess you can spout whatever nonsense you want but people can’t respond to it? Is that how it works?

Can't say I am a fan of where things devolved into today. Let's just leave it at different people like different things and move off the personal attacks. I don't really care that certain people don't like something. It would be more productive to explain why that is than just saying that song is trash, but after 97 songs, I doubt we will start getting that now. Let's try to keep a stiff upper lip and comments to ourselves to avoid getting the thread shut down.

Can't say I am a fan of where things devolved into today. Let's just leave it at different people like different things and move off the personal attacks. I don't really care that certain people don't like something. It would be more productive to explain why that is than just saying that song is trash, but after 97 songs, I doubt we will start getting that now. Let's try to keep a stiff upper lip and comments to ourselves to avoid getting the thread shut down.
Sorry, I should have let it go but got caught up in the responses and wanting to clear up my view.
I honestly don’t care one bit which songs/albums some people like and some people don’t - it wasn’t really about that.

Let it go folks. Let’s not soil such a wonderful thread. We all have different tastes in music. I love hearing the reasoning why someone loves, hates, or is only okay with songs. We don’t need discussion to go south.

This is brilliant for all the reasons already stated. The only reason it's not on my list is that I didn't want to overload it with DSOTM and I'm not quite as moved emotionally by this as I am by the DSOTM songs that did make my list. (Also I think Brain Damage probably would have been improved with a Gilmour vocal -- Eclipse is best suited for Waters, though.) Pensive and soulful, this pair is an excellent capper to the sonic and philosophical themes of the entire album.
Im surprised by how high this was ranked. It’s a very good song that I ranked at number 20 but it doesn’t have an outstanding solo or melody of many other PF songs.

DG: “Some punch, some rock guitar. Once you’ve had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that’s a hard drug to kick.”

This is a great quote.
I always wondered how these older guys don't all have hearing issues. Buy yeah, that's a bad azz quote.
I'm sure they do. In fact, I'd be shocked if they didn't.

DG: “Some punch, some rock guitar. Once you’ve had that guitar up so loud on the stage, where you can lean back and volume will stop you from falling backward, that’s a hard drug to kick.”

This is a great quote.
I always wondered how these older guys don't all have hearing issues. Buy yeah, that's a bad azz quote.
Most of them do lose some hearing - Pete Townsend most notably.

This is a great quote.
Most of them do lose some hearing - Pete Townsend most notably.
Huey Lewis had some weird stuff happening, but he had a rare condition. I didn't even know Pete had issues.

Let it go folks. Let’s not soil such a wonderful thread. We all have different tastes in music. I love hearing the reasoning why someone loves, hates, or is only okay with songs. We don’t need discussion to go south.
To be fair, the thread was soiled by the trolling, not those of us tired of the nonsense.

It seems like tinnitus is fairly wide spread with some younger musicians. I battle my son over the car speaker volume constantly. It stresses me out. At least people are being educated on the danger now.

On a side note, this is pretty amazing.
Beethoven
Beethoven began losing his hearing in his mid-20s, after already building a reputation as a musician and composer. The cause of his deafness remains a mystery, though modern analysis of his DNA revealed health issues including large amounts of lead in his system.

To be fair, the thread was soiled by the trolling, not those of us tired of the nonsense.
Can we please just discuss the music and not each other? How about folks just provide their own opinions of the band and a song and not even comment on any other posts?

Users who are viewing this thread