What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Anyone own a 4K Television (1 Viewer)

Anyone shopping for a TV this Black Friday season?  Interested if folks are finding any killer deals. 

Pulled the trigger on the 77in LG OLED C1 from Costco.  Can't wait to get it up and going.  
Debating this or the 85" Sony full array they have on sale for $2,199.  I could use the extra 8 inches (cue Michael Scott) because the theater room is pretty deep.  Wish the 83" oleds weren't such a premium.  

Did your OLED arrive?

Anyone shopping for a TV this Black Friday season?  Interested if folks are finding any killer deals. 
Sign up for notifications related to tvs on slickdeals.net.  Costco, Amazon, and Best Buy are all price matching each other, but the specific tvs on sale are always rotating.  We don't have to wait for next Friday for the deals, btw.  They're already here.

Looking at two 65" on amazon that are virtually the same price.  I haven't bought on black friday in the past.... will these prices drop?  Will they run out of stock if I wait?

Sony X90J

TCL 6 series 65R635

Last edited by a moderator:
Debating this or the 85" Sony full array they have on sale for $2,199.  I could use the extra 8 inches (cue Michael Scott) because the theater room is pretty deep.  Wish the 83" oleds weren't such a premium.  

Did your OLED arrive?
Oh yeah, it’s bad ### too.  Glad I went with the premium tv.

The one con I’ve come across so far is a glare.  I have a pretty bright, open living room so there’s really not a great option. The tv is above the mantle.  If you’re sitting on the couch it’s not noticeable, but standing in the kitchen and you can see it.

Still  love it,  and like I said it’s more of my setup than anything.  

Oh yeah, it’s bad ### too.  Glad I went with the premium tv.

The one con I’ve come across so far is a glare.  I have a pretty bright, open living room so there’s really not a great option. The tv is above the mantle.  If you’re sitting on the couch it’s not noticeable, but standing in the kitchen and you can see it.

Still  love it,  and like I said it’s more of my setup than anything.  
Hmmmm.  That's good to know.  Our family room is bright too so not sure if a reflective oled would work out.  I measured our theater room and the first row is 16' from the screen.  77" would feel tiny; even 83" might not be enough.  I may be forced to go with a laser projector.  

Captain Cranks said:
Hmmmm.  That's good to know.  Our family room is bright too so not sure if a reflective oled would work out.  I measured our theater room and the first row is 16' from the screen.  77" would feel tiny; even 83" might not be enough.  I may be forced to go with a laser projector.  
Theater room ?

:oldunsure:

Wife bought me the LG OLED C1 for Christmas, and should arrive this weekend. 

Any advice on what to do with older TVs? I'll probably move my current living room TV down to the basement, and then "retire" my basement TV, which is a Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST30 55" 1080p 3D Plasma.  Bought in 2011 (towards the end of the Golden Era of plasma). It still works fine, but TVs are so cheap now, I'm not sure much of a market for it or worth the hassle of trying to sell on Marketplace, Nextdoor, etc.  Take it to Goodwill?

Wife bought me the LG OLED C1 for Christmas, and should arrive this weekend. 

Any advice on what to do with older TVs? I'll probably move my current living room TV down to the basement, and then "retire" my basement TV, which is a Panasonic VIERA TC-P55ST30 55" 1080p 3D Plasma.  Bought in 2011 (towards the end of the Golden Era of plasma). It still works fine, but TVs are so cheap now, I'm not sure much of a market for it or worth the hassle of trying to sell on Marketplace, Nextdoor, etc.  Take it to Goodwill?
Man we are almost in an identical spot.  Just got the LG OLED C1 65" up and running (love it), and moved my old set (10 year old Panny 55") into the garage man cave.  Figure even if the heat/cold seasons kill it, I can still replace it at a reasonable cost with something more basic.

Man we are almost in an identical spot.  Just got the LG OLED C1 65" up and running (love it), and moved my old set (10 year old Panny 55") into the garage man cave.  Figure even if the heat/cold seasons kill it, I can still replace it at a reasonable cost with something more basic.

I got mine today, but think I need to upgrade HDMI cables as picture not as much of an upgrade as was thinking it would be. Whatcha got?

I got mine today, but think I need to upgrade HDMI cables as picture not as much of an upgrade as was thinking it would be. Whatcha got?
Cables shouldn’t matter.  Buy decent hdmi 2.1 off Amazon.  Then go to rtings.com and use their settings.  

zoonation said:
Cables shouldn’t matter.  Buy decent hdmi 2.1 off Amazon.  Then go to rtings.com and use their settings.  
Thanks. I ended up just heading down to Best Buy and picking up some. Does look a lot better with the 2.1.

Don Quixote said:
So I had/have the Samsung PN6400 65inch which was the main competitor to your panny.  Both of which were considered the best plasmas. I upsized early this year to a 77 Q9 and moved the plasma to another room.  I think my old Samsung absolutely still give my new Q90 a run for its money.  The only area I feel the Q90 beats it is in brightness.  Long story short, those last plasmas were outstanding TV’s.  I’ll be bummed when my dies.  

Don Quixote said:
Agree on the suggestions to get some solid 2.1 HDMIs and I found the rtings.com suggested settings to help as well (as mentioned by zoonation. 

So I had/have the Samsung PN6400 65inch which was the main competitor to your panny.  Both of which were considered the best plasmas. I upsized early this year to a 77 Q9 and moved the plasma to another room.  I think my old Samsung absolutely still give my new Q90 a run for its money.  The only area I feel the Q90 beats it is in brightness.  Long story short, those last plasmas were outstanding TV’s.  I’ll be bummed when my dies.  
Yeah, the plasma is/was a good TV. I do see improvement in the OLED with the 2.1 cables, and good to have something with smart features.

Picture quality has held up well with the plasma 10 years on — and keeping it in the basement worked well with it functioning best in low light areas.

Yeah, the plasma is/was a good TV. I do see improvement in the OLED with the 2.1 cables, and good to have something with smart features.

Picture quality has held up well with the plasma 10 years on — and keeping it in the basement worked well with it functioning best in low light areas.
What are your 2.1’s hooked up too (output source)?   Are you seeing the improvements in broadcast or just HDR stuff (Netflix, Prime, etc). 

Besides the brightness (which my Samsung plasma was actually pretty got at) the smart features are definitely better with the new one.  

I really wanted to go with the CX but my main room has lots of windows and light so was worried about brightness.  

I still love my 60" ST60 Panasonic in my basement. Upgraded the upstairs TV to an LG OLED, but can't see spending the money to upgrade the plasma quite yet. Though a new Xbox series X may change that for the family. 

What are your 2.1’s hooked up too (output source)?   Are you seeing the improvements in broadcast or just HDR stuff (Netflix, Prime, etc). 

Besides the brightness (which my Samsung plasma was actually pretty got at) the smart features are definitely better with the new one.  

I really wanted to go with the CX but my main room has lots of windows and light so was worried about brightness.  
They are hooked up to Xfinity X1 box and an Ultra HD blu ray player. The X1 box did look better with the new cables; still not as good as stuff through native apps on the TV, but I blame Comcast for that. Still need to test out the blu ray player with the cables. Built-in apps are great; watched Power of the Dog through the built-in app, and that looked incredible.

For anyone using their smart TVs apps for any streaming should really look into going with a dedicated device if picture quality is important. I can't recommend the Nvidia Shield TV Pro more highly.

Might be wrong thread but does anyone know the best sounding speaker to replace an echo dot that is compatible?  Looking for something with more volume and better sound for a bigger room.

Might be wrong thread but does anyone know the best sounding speaker to replace an echo dot that is compatible?  Looking for something with more volume and better sound for a bigger room.
Might get more traction in the audiophile thread but....you're looking for an Alexa enabled speaker? Assuming since it's a dot that it doesn't have a mobile requirement. Budget? Me personally would look at Sonos (using your dot for voice commands), Heos by Denon, Marshall Stanmore II or just go Amazon and get the Echo Studio and maybe pair it with the Echo Sub. I use an Echo Show 10" with the sub in my kitchen and it sounds really good for what it is.

The source material will play a big role in noticing the difference. 4K discs or streams should really show off the improvement. No way Power of the Dog would have looked anywhere near as good on that plasma. 

I upgraded my cables too, but the guy that came to mount our TV said to not even bother.  He said to run all our programs thru the LG OS.  I have always gone through the Apple TV, thinking it was the best quality, but I think he was right.   the built in LG system is pretty slick.  

I do run the Sonos thru a new HDMI.  But its nothing fancy.  Installer said any cable rated 4k with a gold tip is the way to go.  

Apologies up front, this question has probably been addressed dozens of times by now in this thread but I fell way behind. I posted a LONG time ago that I bought the LG 65" OLED and to this day have issues with the voice getting out of whack with the picture. We've learned to live/adapt to that, but the other issue we deal with is, rent or stream a movie, and many times have to crank the volume to MAX just to hear the voice dialog. I really want to see if I can get past this issue with a soundbar. But I just want to the one SINGLE sound bar that would sit under the TV. I won't say price is not an issue but, really, it isn't. I just want a one price soundbar that will play good sound sound quality and get past the volume issue. Is there a consensus pick in the thread for something like this?

TIA...

Did- I do not have your tv, but:

- any issues with WiFi/connection creating problems streaming the sound?

- any instructions for adjusting sound delays?

- sound bar… sono?  I have a vizio with subwoofer and two rear speakers.  I really like it (it even improved when i purchased my 4K tv and updated cords)

- any issues with WiFi/connection creating problems streaming the sound?

It's hard wired to the router. The sound delay is a known issue with this model. 

- any instructions for adjusting sound delays?

Yes, but it starts out good, then grows worse as the TV is left on during the day. So adjusting the delay would probably be problematic as it would change throughout the day. 

- sound bar… sono?  I have a vizio with subwoofer and two rear speakers.  I really like it (it even improved when i purchased my 4K tv and updated cords)

Apologies up front, this question has probably been addressed dozens of times by now in this thread but I fell way behind. I posted a LONG time ago that I bought the LG 65" OLED and to this day have issues with the voice getting out of whack with the picture. We've learned to live/adapt to that, but the other issue we deal with is, rent or stream a movie, and many times have to crank the volume to MAX just to hear the voice dialog. I really want to see if I can get past this issue with a soundbar. But I just want to the one SINGLE sound bar that would sit under the TV. I won't say price is not an issue but, really, it isn't. I just want a one price soundbar that will play good sound sound quality and get past the volume issue. Is there a consensus pick in the thread for something like this?

TIA...
Have a Yamaha soundbar and sync issue still occurs at time. Fox channels seem to be more common for some reason.

Payne said:
Have a Yamaha soundbar and sync issue still occurs at time. Fox channels seem to be more common for some reason.
Ours is ABC. It gets really bad when the national news comes on at 5:30 CST.

Hawks64 said:
Are you using the TV audio only, ie not using a soundbar or receiver and surround sound?
TV only. No sound device of any kind.

I made sure Sound Out is set to Internal TV speaker, and I just changed Volume Increase Amount to High and turned on Auto Volume to see if that helps with having to crank up the volume for a movie. These are all new steps for me. It may help with volume but not the sync issues.

DallasDMac said:
Apologies up front, this question has probably been addressed dozens of times by now in this thread but I fell way behind. I posted a

LONG

time ago that I bought the LG 65" OLED and to this day have issues with the voice getting out of whack with the picture. We've learned to live/adapt to that, but the other issue we deal with is, rent or stream a movie, and many times have to crank the volume to MAX just to hear the voice dialog. I really want to see if I can get past this issue with a soundbar. But I just want to the one SINGLE sound bar that would sit under the TV. I won't say price is not an issue but, really, it isn't. I just want a one price soundbar that will play good sound sound quality and get past the volume issue. Is there a consensus pick in the thread for something like this?

TIA...

How are you hooked up to your TV?  Digital Optical or ARC/eARC (I'm using eARC)?  Digital Optical is a much older standard. However, eARC supports mandatory lip sync correction (see article link above for chart) whereas ARC does, but it's optional.  eARC may solve your issue here.

I would suggest getting an eARC capable soundbar and having your sound sent to you via HDMI and this may resolve your issue.  If you do, just make sure you get a HDMI 2.1 cable capable of handling eARC.  Older HDMI cables MAY work, but the 2.1 standard officially supported the new eARC standard. 

If you DO go with EARC, make sure you have enabled eARC support in your OLED:

Menu --> Sound --> Advanced Settings --> eARC Support

If you don't, the LG OLED has a setting in the sound menu that may also help.  Have you tried it?

Menu --> Sound --> Advanced Settings --> Match Screen and Sound

If you get an LG soundbar, you can download the LG Soundbar App and control the settings in there also.  I have the LG SP8YA 3.1.2 Soundbar (which is eARC capable):

LG Soundbar App --> Settings --> Sound Settings --> AV Sync

But again, eARC may already resolve your issues and you won't need this.  I don't have any issues like you do so I haven't played with those settings.

If you don't, the LG OLED has a setting in the sound menu that may also help.  Have you tried it?

Menu --> Sound --> Advanced Settings --> Match Screen and Sound
I don't have this option. In fact, I don't have "Advanced Settings",  only "Additional Settings." I did find the eARC stuff there.

DallasDMac said:

TIA...
I am a big fan of Sonos so I would look at the Arc or Beam. If you ever want to you can add on a sub or wireless surrounds at any point.

Also, since you appear to be streaming using the TV apps, you may want to look at the Roku Streambar since it has a 4k Roku streaming device built in. You can read upthread about both @Andy Dufresne and my experience with using a dedicated streaming device vs the TV apps and how much better it is than using the TV apps. The Roku won't have nearly as good of audio as the Arc or Beam but it will have significantly better audio than your TV speakers.

I am a big fan of Sonos so I would look at the Arc or Beam. If you ever want to you can add on a sub or wireless surrounds at any point.

Also, since you appear to be streaming using the TV apps, you may want to look at the Roku Streambar since it has a 4k Roku streaming device built in. You can read upthread about both @Andy Dufresne and my experience with using a dedicated streaming device vs the TV apps and how much better it is than using the TV apps. The Roku won't have nearly as good of audio as the Arc or Beam but it will have significantly better audio than your TV speakers.
I had seen good things about the Beam 2 but dang, like $500. I like the Streambar price better. :)   But seriously, I just want ANYTHING that will rid me of the sync issues. I will try and track down your post. May take me awhile to go through 23 pages.

I own a 4k TV, but decided for kicks to watch it break over the weekend and send it to the repairman yesterday.  Sigh. 

Fun story - we took it off the wall to get it down to the shop.  I specifically didn't touch anything as the dust shadow showed exactly where it needed to be put back.  Yeah - so wife cleans it because it's there and then gets pissed that I objected and had the audacity to use dust as an alignment mark.  :rolleyes: I mean, seriously - it made all the sense in the world.  The things I put up with.

DallasDMac said:
I had seen good things about the Beam 2 but dang, like $500. I like the Streambar price better. :)   But seriously, I just want ANYTHING that will rid me of the sync issues. I will try and track down your post. May take me awhile to go through 23 pages.
I was sort of joking, but Andy and I both came to the conclusion that the apps in the TV OS for the most part suck. It's infinitely better to drop another 1-150 on a good dedicated streamer, in your case I would bet that the Streambar would work fine and be a significant upgrade over TV speakers.

Now here's a specific ask...

Find me a dual HDMI input face plate that passes through HD10, DilbyVision, etc.

I've seen plenty of dual input HDMI face plates, but none explicitly day they do the pass through and some comments directly say they don't.

Trying to decide if want to hang my VT60 or upgrade to something newer. There's a subculture out there that worships the panny plasmas so I'm loathe to just dump it. Have a couple other options to hang it.

Trying to decide if want to hang my VT60 or upgrade to something newer. There's a subculture out there that worships the panny plasmas so I'm loathe to just dump it. Have a couple other options to hang it.
I‘m hanging on to my Samsung F8500 til it dies. It’s not my main room TV anymore but like the VT60 it’s the peak of a bygone era and still looks fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread