What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Nothing seems to get done any more - Society is or isn’t crumbling- screen time and other lawn related gripes (1 Viewer)

Our society is slowly turning into a bunch of self centered, entitled, lazy asses, that will gladly let the gub take care of em in exchange for many of our freedoms...... we all know how efficient the gub is, in general.

Our society is slowly turning into a bunch of self centered, entitled, lazy asses, that will gladly let the gub take care of em in exchange for many of our freedoms...... we all know how efficient the gub is, in general.
Parents have been saying this for decades.
Yep......Rome did not fall overnight
I should have expanded on what I was trying to say.

Yeah, the world has changed. But I think we - the main demographic of this message board - have changed more. So now things that we did when we were younger burn us up now. **** has been messed up since humans have had the ability to make decisions.

Whatever we want to rail against now that we have aged has been happening - to one degree or another - since Hector was a pup.

Yeah, the world has changed. But I think we - the main demographic of this message board - have changed more. So now things that we did when we were younger burn us up now. **** has been messed up since humans have had the ability to make decisions.

Whatever we want to rail against now that we have aged has been happening - to one degree or another - since Hector was a pup.
I admit I'm turning into a codger.

I can't remember which publication did this, but it was fantastic. It essentially went back to the start of the 1900s and found reports, op/eds, quotes from people lamenting the 'kids'. It's a story as old as time. We're complaining about today's youth in much the same way our great grandparents did in the 1910s. And, I would imagine, this goes back for centuries. "Get off my lawn" didn't start with a Clint Eastwood movie a decade ago, we (the ROYAL WE) have been doing this for as long as time marched forward.

I can't remember which publication did this, but it was fantastic. It essentially went back to the start of the 1900s and found reports, op/eds, quotes from people lamenting the 'kids'. It's a story as old as time. We're complaining about today's youth in much the same way our great grandparents did in the 1910s. And, I would imagine, this goes back for centuries. "Get off my lawn" didn't start with a Clint Eastwood movie a decade ago, we (the ROYAL WE) have been doing this for as long as time marched forward.
I can't speak for Manster, but in my case, everybody I'm talking about is 40+.

I don’t really know if I agree with the premise that in general things aren’t getting done because people are less productive and are less efficient. My personal background is in the world of retail and manufacturing of luxury goods. I have close relationships with lots of other retailers, plenty of vendors (both national and international), I have close relationships with clients that are from various businesses and industries—and I see the problem being something else. When the Covid shutdowns put businesses in a position to furlough and lay off a bunch of people—many of those businesses found out that they are far more profitable hiring the bare minimal amount of people to get the work adequately done. For example, I have lots of knowledge of the Vegas market. Many of the Vegas resorts laid off masses of cleaning crew, customer service staff..etc—and they realized that they make far more money when each housekeeper has to clean 20 rooms a day, versus hiring 30% more housekeepers and having each clean 15 rooms a day (for examples sake). They realized that they make more money having fewer people at the registration desk checking people into rooms. While this makes visitors think that the employees at these resorts are lazy, inefficient and unproductive—the reality is that the ones that are working are asked to do a lot more. I see it at grocery stores, I see it at banks, I see it almost everywhere. At the grocery store—you’ll see lines of people waiting—but there are only 2 people at registers processing peoples purchases. I certainly don’t want to make excuses for workers that are actually unproductive—but I don’t think that they reflect the majority. I think that people that are working, are working at pretty full capacities while they are on the clock. You can just look at corporate profits of US companies and see this dynamic. Companies are working leaner and are in turn making massive profits often times at the sacrifice of customer service or the customer experience.

“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.”

Anybody want to guess who this quote is attributed to?

That's fair. I had to step over vomit this morning to exit my train. The author of said vomit was still sitting on a bench on the train platform just barfing his brains out. All around him, empty parking spaces and dense vegetation to yack upon, but no....not this guy.....he just projectile puked all over the platform so others had to step over it. Old enough to know better and bold enough not to care.

“The children now love luxury; they have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for elders and love chatter in place of exercise. Children are now tyrants, not the servants of their households. They no longer rise when elders enter the room. They contradict their parents, chatter before company, gobble up dainties at the table, cross their legs, and tyrannize their teachers.”

Me, or @Socrates11, or Einstein

ETA: I know it's either Socrates or Einstein... forget which one. Some old dude.

Was it @Manster

Was it @Manster
Jesus?

Me, or @Socrates11, or Einstein

ETA: I know it's either Socrates or Einstein... forget which one. Some old dude.

It is attributed to Socrates, but there's no proof he actually authored the quote. That said, it's from a dissertation of a student from 1907 who was summarizing complaints by Ancient Greeks about the youth of the time.

Our grandkids will complain about their grandkids generation long after we're worm food.

I admit I'm turning into a codger.

:lmao: I catch myself all the time.

Yeah, Im not limiting this to kids either.

eddie van halen i bet take that to the bank bromigo

Have you seen Junior's grades?

I don't feel tardy

I have also noticed this and it has little to do with the younger generation. I see it with my co-workers who are 50+.
Personally, I dont care if my employer can get rid of me whenever they want. That should have no effect on my work habits. The bottom line is, they are currently paying me to put in 40 hours of work.
Lazy is lazy no matter how one justifies it in their mind.

I don't feel tardy

Fun fact: The voice of Waldo in the video for Hot for Teacher was none other than Phil Hartman.

I don’t really know if I agree with the premise that in general things aren’t getting done because people are less productive and are less efficient. My personal background is in the world of retail and manufacturing of luxury goods. I have close relationships with lots of other retailers, plenty of vendors (both national and international), I have close relationships with clients that are from various businesses and industries—and I see the problem being something else. When the Covid shutdowns put businesses in a position to furlough and lay off a bunch of people—many of those businesses found out that they are far more profitable hiring the bare minimal amount of people to get the work adequately done. For example, I have lots of knowledge of the Vegas market. Many of the Vegas resorts laid off masses of cleaning crew, customer service staff..etc—and they realized that they make far more money when each housekeeper has to clean 20 rooms a day, versus hiring 30% more housekeepers and having each clean 15 rooms a day (for examples sake). They realized that they make more money having fewer people at the registration desk checking people into rooms. While this makes visitors think that the employees at these resorts are lazy, inefficient and unproductive—the reality is that the ones that are working are asked to do a lot more. I see it at grocery stores, I see it at banks, I see it almost everywhere. At the grocery store—you’ll see lines of people waiting—but there are only 2 people at registers processing peoples purchases. I certainly don’t want to make excuses for workers that are actually unproductive—but I don’t think that they reflect the majority. I think that people that are working, are working at pretty full capacities while they are on the clock. You can just look at corporate profits of US companies and see this dynamic. Companies are working leaner and are in turn making massive profits often times at the sacrifice of customer service or the customer experience.
Hospitals are another good example of this. We are eternally short-staffed, so admin has decided they'll offer up "extra" shifts to those who volunteer. Sometime they fill, while other times the remaining work force is expected to suck it up. Occasionally it becomes dangerous, and I'm sure adverse patient outcomes have resulted.

Hospitals are another good example of this. We are eternally short-staffed, so admin has decided they'll offer up "extra" shifts to those who volunteer. Sometime they fill, while other times the remaining work force is expected to suck it up. Occasionally it becomes dangerous, and I'm sure adverse patient outcomes have resulted.
I work in healthcare, and we can't find qualified people to work. I think COVID, and the subsequent fallout, has caused many healthcare pros to change careers, or at least career paths.

I work in healthcare, and we can't find qualified people to work. I think COVID, and the subsequent fallout, has caused many healthcare pros to change careers, or at least career paths.
We can find qualified people but you 1. Have to pay them 2. The newer ones don’t stick around long because the hospital has chosen to work with a skeleton crew to increase profits

Both staffing specific positions due to shrinking workforce, and workers electing not to participate under poor working conditions, facilitated by hospital admin, are problems.

That isn't anything new in that field. In my field when I give someone a bid I follow up with them several times to try and close the deal. These guys not only never bother to follow up, they don't return calls half the time when someone is looking to move forward. They must just be getting more work than they know what to do with for the last 20 years.

This has been my experience for a long time. I've seen this go down myriad times. The best thing to do is to get a guy that becomes "your guy" and who serves as a sort of point man for all jobs pertaining to the household. Then you can parlay that trust into other jobs that need doing, and chances are he will know people who can do it. But contractors and their business acquaintances run on their time and their time only. Pay them well and treat them well because they won't be around long if you don't.
As a contractor I can say this is a good rule and will be going into the foreseeable future. There are lots of reasons for this that probably aren't on topic, but speaking for my own experience I don't return calls to people who piss me off. Might be my fault, might be theirs, but it doesn't matter. At this point I have so many options and so much demand I can set my schedule and if you don't like my price then don't call me when you hire low bid and work quality sucks / doesn't get done on time / never gets done.

We can find qualified people but you 1. Have to pay them 2. The newer ones don’t stick around long because the hospital has chosen to work with a skeleton crew to increase profits
Getting off in the weeds but I've worked in the big hospital setting. In my experience, they've always run on a skeleton crew, with too much middle management. Frontline healthcare workers are not valued for their expertise.....they would rather pay a new grad less.......I can only imagine how it's been since COVID....add in the fact they fired people because of the vaccine, or people left for whatever reason, and then they had to pay travelers a **** pile.....further pissing off dedicated employees.

Last edited:
Getting off in the weeds but I've worked in the big hospital setting. In my experience, they've always run on a skeleton crew, with too much middle management. Frontline healthcare workers are not valued for their expertise.....they would rather pay a new grad less.......I can only imagine how it's been since COVID....add in the fact they fired people because of the vaccine, or people left for whatever reason, and then they had to pay travelers a **** pile.....further pissing off dedicated employees.
Pretty much this exactly and yes since Covid it’s gotten much worse. The future looks bleak to me. We burn through new grads as fast as we can get them. They just flat out leave. We’ll hire 10-12 every six month training class. At the end of two years we maybe have 2-3 of them left.

Old man/cloud stuff here, but I get frustrated working with younger Millennials and GenZ - they seem to take a lot of time off.
Good for them. Life is short. Enjoy the time you have and especially the time you have off. Work can piss off.
Overall, this is terrible advice and outlook. When I was young, I worked hard and played hard and slept like a baby to wake up the next day to do it all over again. If you live every day like it is your last you never build anything or save anything, and then when the next day comes with some sort of trouble you have nothing to deal with it.

Great post, I’ve seen the same thing since COVID.

Old man/cloud stuff here, but I get frustrated working with younger Millennials and GenZ - they seem to take a lot of time off.
Good for them. Life is short. Enjoy the time you have and especially the time you have off. Work can piss off.
Overall, this is terrible advice and outlook. When I was young, I worked hard and played hard and slept like a baby to wake up the next day to do it all over again. If you live every day like it is your last you never build anything or save anything, and then when the next day comes with some sort of trouble you have nothing to deal with it.
How old are you? This used to work. it doesn’t anymore. Im 50 so im fine, I have a savings etc. 20 something’s truly have it rough now in the job market. Now busting your butt at work basically gets you more work and less help.

Last edited:
Great post, I’ve seen the same thing since COVID.
I feel about 99% confident in saying that this is entirely an artifact of the pandemic. We went basically two years with everything being f'ed up, and to our credit, we basically just rolled with it. The issue is that some people (like me) were ready to get back to work after the pandemic, and some found that they preferred the more relaxed work atmosphere and basically stuck with it. To steelman their POV a bit, they're basically Europeans, and they're expressing a preference for European work-life balance, which is not something that is baked into American DNA.

Yeah but these people don't work, there is a difference GM

Yeah but these people don't work, there is a difference GM
Exactly.....where are we going to?

How old are you? This used to work. it doesn’t anymore. Im 50 so im fine, I have a savings etc. 20 something’s truly have it rough now in the job market. Now busting your butt at work basically gets you more work and less help.
This is dependant on the situation.

I also think a lot of people live above their means, with too much debt......that's now biting people in the *** big time, cuz of the rapid inflation.

Last edited:
I have to agree to with the old man crowd here. My 19 year old goes to community college. She works at Applebees supposedly "part time"--last week it was 46 hours because her co-workers are always calling in sick. She doesn't care--last night she went in for a sick person and made $300 in tips. She takes after me. She is a worker ( I retired last year at 54). She has zero student loans as she pays for her own college with her earnings. She has over 25k saved just from this last year and plans to pay cash for a car. She gets it and understands that you need to work hard NOW and save and invest, so that you can enjoy the benefits as you go.

The opposite side of the coin, my 24 year old daughter graduated from college and has a good research job, but gives me the same line of bull that her generation is different and they have it all figured out and don't want to work until they are 62. Awesome!! She has 35k in student loans and calls me each month to borrow money. She complains about how the deck is stacked against younger people, but yet her and her boyfriend take mental health days off all the time and wonder why people don't take them seriously and everything is so expensive. She scoffs when I tell her that her mom and I both worked two jobs when we were her age, so that we could afford things and buy a house before we turned 30.

The idea that companies don't care about their workers isn't a new one at all. Workers have always been and will continue to be a cog in the machine. However, what seems to be getting lost in this world is the concept of actually working hard. I think Coivd was a double-edged sword. The idea of being able to finally work at home was amazing, but I also think it gave people excuses to be lazy and make excuses about not wanting to try.

Sorry for the tangent there, but Steady, why don't you Uber/Lyft drive? Flexible schedule, somewhat decent pay. Amazon also has affiliate programs for package delivery drivers. Now that the weather is getting nicer, I am actually looking to do some contract delivery jobs to just get out of the house. I see advertisements all the time for companies looking to hire people to take this package to this location and so forth. My luck it will be a front for a drug dealer.

@fruity pebbles maybe the main issue is with your current employer. Maybe there is a better option in your area?

One constant I've seen play out time, and again.......you have advocate for yourself. You have to negotiate like a mercenary. Most of the big healthcare systems dont give one **** about you, or me.......so you leverage what you can......there are situations out there where you can work hard, and be valued for your expertise.

@fruity pebbles maybe the main issue is with your current employer. Maybe there is a better option in your area?

One constant I've seen play out time, and again.......you have advocate for yourself. You have to negotiate like a mercenary. Most of the big healthcare systems dont give one **** about you, or me.......so you leverage what you can......there are situations out there where you can work hard, and be valued for your expertise.
Maybe but from what I hear, talking to our travelers, is it’s basically the same everywhere. Ive been there 20 years, I have a pension and they pay me a fair amount of money…….but it took me 20 years to get there. I’m really not complaining for myself, hell I’m getting closer and closer to retiring so it’s not really even my fight anymore. I fear for healthcare in the future. The kids coming in aren’t taking it anymore and they are flat out leaving or quitting nursing entirely. The amount of experience has been reduced substantially and I think patient care has suffered because of it.

I have also noticed this and it has little to do with the younger generation. I see it with my co-workers who are 50+.
Personally, I dont care if my employer can get rid of me whenever they want. That should have no effect on my work habits. The bottom line is, they are currently paying me to put in 40 hours of work.
Lazy is lazy no matter how one justifies it in their mind.
Seems to be a lot of disdain for the employer who takes the risk to supply the employee with means to a better life. If you don't want to work then don't. Why accept all the salary and benefits, but then complain about the responsibilities of the job?

Maybe but from what I hear, talking to our travelers, is it’s basically the same everywhere. Ive been there 20 years, I have a pension and they pay me a fair amount of money…….but it took me 20 years to get there. I’m really not complaining for myself, hell I’m getting closer and closer to retiring so it’s not really even my fight anymore. I fear for healthcare in the future. The kids coming in aren’t taking it anymore and they are flat out leaving or quitting nursing entirely. The amount of experience has been reduced substantially and I think patient care has suffered because of it.

This is how change comes about in life and its never as quick or efficient as we want while we're living it, but it does come. Nurses will be paid more, technology will get better and AI will replace a lot of human functions required in Healthcare today. IMO.

They’ll figure it out. You don’t have to sign your life over to your job. That mentality is what is truly awful.

This is true in most fields. I am in education and in all my years we have never been close to properly staffed. My husband is in construction and he has been able to work all the hours he wants for the last 12 years.

They’ll figure it out. You don’t have to sign your life over to your job. That mentality is what is truly awful.

Yes, but nobody said that. This part of the thread started with me saying "they seem to take a lot of days off" and you went right to this extreme. I believe there's a happy medium here.

Serious / non-snarky question: did this (signing life over to a job) happen to you?

The opposite side of the coin, my 24 year old daughter graduated from college and has a good research job, but gives me the same line of bull that her generation is different and they have it all figured out and don't want to work until they are 62. Awesome!! She has 35k in student loans and calls me each month to borrow money. She complains about how the deck is stacked against younger people, but yet her and her boyfriend take mental health days off all the time and wonder why people don't take them seriously and everything is so expensive.

Yea, this, exactly. You are not taken seriously if you take the constant mental health day / are always out / are unreliable. Not saying a mental health day never should be taken. Also not saying that the company shouldn't pay out unused sick time - they definitely should. But at the end of the day, people's lives will be affected by their income. And this stuff affects income. I tell my nieces and nephews all the time: Be useful. Be dependable. Be the person who gets it done. Without being exploited, of course.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread