What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

2023-24 NBA (Playoffs!) Thread: Mavs - Boston it is (11 Viewers)

Updated The Ringer Top 50 NBA players (listed by playoff teams):

BOS (5): 7, 25, 39, 42, 47
OKC (3): 4, 37, 41
LAC (3): 6, 21, 38
MIN (3): 14, 27, 34
DEN (2): 1, 18
DAL (2): 2, 30
MIL: (2): 3, 26
PHI (2): 5, 32
GSW (2): 8, 50
PHO (2): 9, 11
LAL (2): 10, 12
NYK (2): 13, 44
MIA (2): 15, 23
IND (2): 17, 40
CLE (2): 19, 48
NOP (2): 20, 29
SAC (2): 22, 24
ORL (1): 33
ATL (1): 35
CHI (1): 49
I hate their list after the top 15-20. Some that I think are hugely misplaced:
  • Sabonis #24. Hard for me to like an all offense no defense center that lead his team to 13th in offensive rating. I would probably have him 10-15 spots down (in Porzingis/Young/Siakam land).
  • KAT #27. Hard for me to like an all offense no defense center that lead his team to 16th in offensive rating. Salary excluded, is there anybody that would take him above guys like OG Anunoby, Mikal Bridges, Jrue Holiday, or Desmond Bane? Maybe if you needed some offense as the Hornets or Pistons or something.
  • Gobert #34. Obviously, I'm the minority, but I just don't understand why people don't consider him for All-NBA. He kind of sucks offensively (and holy **** have his hands regressed), but he knows his role at least, and he is by far the best defensive player on a team that won 56 games because they are by far the best defense in the NBA. I would have him late teens/low 20s.
  • Harden #38. Since the AS break, his counting stats have been fine, but the Clippers have been -3.9/100 with him on the court and his TS% is at .554. And his defense isn't getting any better.
  • Brandon Ingram #29. I just hate his style of basketball. No defense and ball stopping offense that trades threes for ****ty long twos. The epitome of good stats bad team kinda guy.
  • Wemby #16. He may be that next year and obviously has the skillset to be much better than #16, but he's more late 20s until he can be efficient offensively.
  • Morant #31. He deserves a knock for not being available but he's ****ing electric.
  • Banchero #33. I like Paolo and expect him to get some All-NBA love eventually, but he's terribly inefficient and a poor rebounder for his position.
  • White #42. He is a great fourth best player but I have a hard time seeing him as being a passable #2.

ESPN got their experts to pick the play ins and 6 set first round series'. Some interesting results. Is it just the homer in me that thinks the Sixers have a shot against the Knicks?

Final tally: Kings 10, Pelicans 2
Final tally: Bulls 8, Heat 3
Final tally: Nuggets 11, Lakers 0
Final tally: Timberwolves 6, Suns 4
Final tally: Mavericks 6, Clippers 4
Final tally: Knicks 10, 76ers 1
Final tally: Pacers 6, Bucks 5
Final tally: Cavaliers 7, Magic 4

0-2 so far....

ESPN is dumb

Greatest post ever.

Cavs have missed 18 straight 3's and are still up by 16 points.

What's the fewest points a team has scored this season? We're half way through the 4th and the Magic have 34 points since the end of the 1st Q.

What's the fewest points a team has scored this season? We're half way through the 4th and the Magic have 34 points since the end of the 1st Q.
Knicks scored 73 in a game against the Sixers. Not sure if it was the lowest.

Edit: it does appear to be lowest. Second was 74…by the Magic…against the Knicks. Third was 2 games of 79, both by the Sixers…both against the Knicks (which is how I knew that 73 point game).

The Magic’s run to the second round begins TODAY
I'm enjoying some of the new up and comers in the playoffs and Orlando is one of those. Should be a good 4/5 series.

:popcorn:
I'll be surprised (and disappointed) if this is a competitive series. I'll also be surprised (and delighted) if Cavs v Celtics is a competitive series.
Why? Do you think the Cavs are good?
Experience, I don't think Orlando matches up well with this Cavs D, and it appears Mitchell's healthy again. I thought we'd see an over-correction from the Cavs bigs after being physically dominated last year and that's what played out - controlled the glass and outscored the Magic in the paint. Team was 38-20 when Mitchell initially went down and he didn't look the same again until the final 2 home games - more of the same today. Team turned the ball over 17 times, went ice cold from 3 for 2 1/2 quarters, and still won going away. This will be a good experience for Banchero, but he can't do it all himself and that's what's being asked of him on O, which is probably why he turned it over 9 times today. Someone(s) from the rotation will probably lead to at least one dub in Orlando, but unless Wagner miraculously finds his shot it's probably on Suggs in conjunction with a cold Cavs shooting night to steal a game in Cleveland.

I'm expecting Cavs in 5

The Magic’s run to the second round begins TODAY
I'm enjoying some of the new up and comers in the playoffs and Orlando is one of those. Should be a good 4/5 series.

:popcorn:
I'll be surprised (and disappointed) if this is a competitive series. I'll also be surprised (and delighted) if Cavs v Celtics is a competitive series.
Why? Do you think the Cavs are good?
Experience, I don't think Orlando matches up well with this Cavs D, and it appears Mitchell's healthy again. I thought we'd see an over-correction from the Cavs bigs after being physically dominated last year and that's what played out - controlled the glass and outscored the Magic in the paint. Team was 38-20 when Mitchell initially went down and he didn't look the same again until the final 2 home games - more of the same today. Team turned the ball over 17 times, went ice cold from 3 for 2 1/2 quarters, and still won going away. This will be a good experience for Banchero, but he can't do it all himself and that's what's being asked of him on O, which is probably why he turned it over 9 times today. Someone(s) from the rotation will probably lead to at least one dub in Orlando, but unless Wagner miraculously finds his shot it's probably on Suggs in conjunction with a cold Cavs shooting night to steal a game in Cleveland.

I'm expecting Cavs in 5

Makes sense to me. I bet Cavs in 7. I doubt it goes that far now.

Boston over Miami in 5
Cavs over Orlando in 7
Philly over Knicks in 6
Milwaukee over Indiana in 7

Boston over Cavs in 4
Milwaukee over Philly in 7

Boston over Milwaukee in 6

OKC over Pelicans in 7
Mavs over Clips in 6
Denver over Lakers in 5
Suns over Wolves in 6

Mavs over OKC in 6
Denver over Suns in 5

Denver over Mavs in 7

Denver over Boston in 7

Knicks scored 73 in a game against the Sixers. Not sure if it was the lowest.

Edit: it does appear to be lowest. Second was 74…by the Magic…against the Knicks. Third was 2 games of 79, both by the Sixers…both against the Knicks (which is how I knew that 73 point game).

Of those games...
Knicks with 73, had an 86.0 ORtg
Magic with 74, had an 87.8 ORtg
Sixers games, had ORtgs of 93.0 and 91.7

This afternoon, the Magic had an ORtg of 86.5. After the first quarter, it was an 80.3.

Extrapolating what I quickly put together in the Playoff pool thing we are doing (hopefully I mathed that all right)...

Boston over Miami in 5
Cavs over Orlando in 7
Philly over Knicks in 6
Indiana over Milwaukee in 7

Boston over Cavs in 5
Philly over Indy in 5

Boston over Philly in 6

OKC over Pelicans in 5
Mavs over Clips in 7
Denver over Lakers in 5
Suns over Wolves in 7

Mavs over OKC in 7
Denver over Suns in 5

Denver over Mavs in 5

Denver over Boston in 6

Me and Cappy were remarkably close in the West. He's wrong all over the place in the east, but that's ok.

It's amazing to me that a team that starts what should be one of the best three point shooting groups 1-4 in the history of the NBA, and a team that does exclusively rely on jump shooting for success has not figured out the math game. In a game where they have attempted more free throws, have fewer turnovers, and are only being outshot from the field by 5%, they somehow managing to lose by nearly 20 points. That is a remarkable accomplishment.

KAT #27. Hard for me to like an all offense no defense center that lead his team to 16th in offensive rating. Salary excluded, is there anybody that would take him above guys like OG Anunoby, Mikal Bridges, Jrue Holiday, or Desmond Bane? Maybe if you needed some offense as the Hornets or Pistons or something.
I would take KAT over all those guys you listed.

Big Brunson fan but I don't see how him and his group of scrubs win this series against a healthy Embid. Not sure what all those ESPN experts are thinking.

KAT #27. Hard for me to like an all offense no defense center that lead his team to 16th in offensive rating. Salary excluded, is there anybody that would take him above guys like OG Anunoby, Mikal Bridges, Jrue Holiday, or Desmond Bane? Maybe if you needed some offense as the Hornets or Pistons or something.
I would take KAT over all those guys you listed.
I am in the middle. If you told me theyre all healthy always I would take all but Holiday, who i would take depending on team context.

If health mattered like real life, I probably don't auto take Anunoby. He becomes team context too.

The Twolves should win this series in 5 or 6.

The Suns have no heart. Seems to be a trend with KD led teams.
KD led teams or Booker led teams? Seemed to me like KD was the only one that showed up today. Booker seems to always get a pass for the shortcomings of his teams performances.
Booker is a frontrunning loser. Stay off my corner. I own this take. I can't believe the national media still has never hammered it. Total baby who folds whenever it gets tough and shines only when it doesn't matter.

KD led teams or Booker led teams? Seemed to me like KD was the only one that showed up today. Booker seems to always get a pass for the shortcomings of his teams performances.

Both of them I just look at KD as the guy who should be leading his teams to greatness but he'd rather sit back and defer to others.

Both of them I just look at KD as the guy who should be leading his teams to greatness but he'd rather sit back and defer to others.
I must have watched a different game than you. I thought KD easily looked like the best and most dominant player on the Suns today. Don’t get me wrong—I get how KD can be a guy that is easy to hate—but I think that if the Suns don’t perform to their max this season—Booker needs to be the dude that starts taking blame. The guy sat there and let Ayton be a scapegoat for the teams shortcomings—when the guy was putting up 16pts, 10 rebounds on nearly 60% from the field as the third or fourth option. If the Suns are Bookers team—he needs to own the lion share of the responsibility. I just haven’t gotten the vibe that he understands that yet. He’s certainly young and is immensely talented—so perhaps this will change.

Well he is back
It’s weird that when I saw him hurt his knee and leave the game—I was hoping that he’d be okay. Now that he’s back—I’m both happy and worried. If the dude basically feels what seemingly looked like a catastrophic injury after a single dunk (albeit a really cool one)—I’m not sure how good or confident i feel about him playing. I hope it was just a scare and that he stays healthy. I feel like this series, and the entire Eastern conference is more interesting with a healthy embiid.

Well he is back
It’s weird that when I saw him hurt his knee and leave the game—I was hoping that he’d be okay. Now that he’s back—I’m both happy and worried. If the dude basically feels what seemingly looked like a catastrophic injury after a single dunk (albeit a really cool one)—I’m not sure how good or confident i feel about him playing. I hope it was just a scare and that he stays healthy. I feel like this series, and the entire Eastern conference is more interesting with a healthy embiid.
They were talking about how he is struggling with it mentally. Seems like maybe any time he feels any sharp pain he assumes it is reinjured.

I must have watched a different game than you. I thought KD easily looked like the best and most dominant player on the Suns today. Don’t get me wrong—I get how KD can be a guy that is easy to hate—but I think that if the Suns don’t perform to their max this season—Booker needs to be the dude that starts taking blame. The guy sat there and let Ayton be a scapegoat for the teams shortcomings—when the guy was putting up 16pts, 10 rebounds on nearly 60% from the field as the third or fourth option. If the Suns are Bookers team—he needs to own the lion share of the responsibility. I just haven’t gotten the vibe that he understands that yet. He’s certainly young and is immensely talented—so perhaps this will change.

I wasn't just referring to this game more the overall performance and make up of that team. No heart. I mean look at the Knicks and what a scrappy bunch of players with will can do. PHX needs some of that.

Good start!! Lakers have to feel defeated as Bron and Ad threw all they had at them and the supporting cast let them down again.

Yea Bron and AD were awesome and the Lakers still have no chance. Supporting cast sucks.

I really hope Bron spends his last few years on a legit contender. I don’t know the cap situations but going to a place like the Knicks would be awesome. I assume he just wants to stay in LA.

Users who are viewing this thread