What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Charles Woodson to sign with Green Bay (1 Viewer)

Isn't it pretty much a football maxim that you can't predict injuries? Or does that just apply to offense?
Some people may believe that. I don't for the most part. Of course you can never predict an injury because nobody knows the future, but I think you can definitely say that certain players are more prone to getting injured than others. I mean, if you just look a their ability, the Titans should have one of the best backfields in the NFL with Chris Brown and Travis Henry. In reality, that's a pretty dicey situation because they're both hurt all the time. And if you're telling me that Fred Taylor should be a top 10 RB because his ypc is always high, I'll tell you that you're crazy.

Even injuries aside, I think that Woodson is overated. Maybe it's because his past injuries have sapped his speed or something, but I think he's in the bottom half of DBs in the league right now.

Hey, maybe he'll prove me wrong.

So, Favre decides to return, the pack signs Woodson the next day.

Seems related. ;)

There's talk that Woodson would switch to safety, but GB just signed Manuel. Would he switch, and bump MM to the bench, or is that a long term plan?
Manual would compete with Roman for SS, with Woodson going to FS, I would guess.

Reports are that there is ZERO signing bonus. As has been talked about ad nauseum, the Packers had a ton of cap room this year. The 10.5mil in the first year is base and roster bonus.

This is essentially a 3yr deal for $18 million and they can cut ties at any time with no accelerated cap hit.
Exactly.The overinflated numbers are an ego boost for him, and a nice little diversion for all the haters.

I am sitting here reading all these posts and :lmao:

Keep up the hate without all the facts! :thumbup:

Reports are that there is ZERO signing bonus.  As has been talked about ad nauseum, the Packers had a ton of cap room this year.  The 10.5mil in the first year is base and roster bonus.

This is essentially a 3yr deal for $18 million and they can cut ties at any time with no accelerated cap hit.
Exactly.The overinflated numbers are an ego boost for him, and a nice little diversion for all the haters.

Do people really hate 4-12 teams?

Reports are that there is ZERO signing bonus.  As has been talked about ad nauseum, the Packers had a ton of cap room this year.  The 10.5mil in the first year is base and roster bonus.

You can't tell by reading all the posts the past few months? :confused:

Why is not agreeing with a signing a sign of hate? Many have made quality posts both for and against this signing. Personally, I do not like it but it has nothing to do with the Packers on a personal level. I wouldn't like this deal if he signed with the Patriots. Woodson's a guy I feel has not played up to the hype in recent years, gets nicked up and isn't known as a leader. If he signed for lower money than no big deal. Yet, no matter how much you spin it he's getting over 10 million dollars this year and that's a huge chunk of cap space for a player of his caliber. Just because you have cap space doesn't mean you can spend it recklessly.

A 5 mil deal and I would have been glad to have him on the Buc's, but 10.5 for the 1st year is crazy :moneybag: :moneybag:

This year is deep with corners, so we should draft one on day 1. I also wouldn't mind trading with NO to get Dwight Smith back.

Bruce should now follow suit of the Colts GM and give bonuses to some of the guys with the extra money. They should actually try and resign BK and Ronde now to lock them in for a few more years.

You can't tell by reading all the posts the past few months? :confused:
I always felt people hated Favre more than the actual team.

I don't get the vitriol for this deal. Sure, the Packers are overpaying him this year. But, they have the cap money and there's no one else to spend it on. Walker has said he would not re-sign with them, so the money couldn't even have gone to him.

And once you take out year 1, years 2 and 3 are for a total of $8 million. If he's anywhere near the player he was, that's not a bad deal at all.

You people act like they had anywhere better to put that money. If they hadn't spent it on Woodson, they would have just ended up well under the cap this year.

Big risk, big reward. The Packer hate in here is strong.
I think the entire point though, is not necessarily slamming the Pack for this move now, but for doing something too late. You are correct, at this point you might as well spend your money for this season. And if it's true that there is no bonus, they can just cut him after this season if he is a bust. But why did they wait so long to end up throwing a bunch of money at this guy? It's like being one of the last two guys left with money in a fantasy auction draft and realizing that you have a quarter of your payroll left. Yeah, you can spend 1/8 of your payroll on Joey Harrington now but what were you doing holding that money earlier in the draft when Tom Brady went for less than that? You're paying inflated prices at the end because you screwed up earlier.

:goodposting: We don't hate, we :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: at the downfall of the Pack.

They are one CW injury away from being the L.A. Packers. :D That would put them in cap hell, and keep the at the bottom of the league for 5 more years.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last years 10th rated defense had a weakness, the D.B.'s. That has now been shorn up with the addition of a servicable Safety and a good, though not great Corner. The money is too high this year but is in line over three years so no worries. Now, what happens if they add Hawk to this improved unit? What happens if they trade down and end up with Tamba Hali to upgrade their defense again and they get a good addition or two to their offensive line?

I'd have prefered he came cheaper, but this is not outrageous as some here would paint it.

1 year: woodson made a great deal for himself

3 year: if woodson plays at a decent level it's a fair deal over that time period. if woodson can not stay healthy or plays poorly he'll make out like a bandit vs. his production. considering that the packers had the money and are taking on no future cap risk they only lost out on production from a starting QB

4 + years: doesn't matter...it's all funny funny for the newspapers, agent, and woodson's ego

it's real easy to pick out the FBG's who do not understand the salary cap reading the posts in this thread

1 year: woodson made a great deal for himself

3 year: if woodson plays at a decent level it's a fair deal over that time period. if woodson can not stay healthy or plays poorly he'll make out like a bandit vs. his production. considering that the packers had the money and are taking on no future cap risk they only lost out on production from a starting QB

4 + years: doesn't matter...it's all funny funny for the newspapers, agent, and woodson's ego

it's real easy to pick out the FBG's who do not understand the salary cap reading the posts in this thread
Please expand on that last comment.The Pack is committing over 10 million dollars in cap space this year on an iffy propostion. Watching the Patriots conduct business over the past 5 years I can easily say that the Pack could have used that money in a far better manner and filled far more holes boith on the field and in the leadership department. The thinking that you can simply throw out 10 million dollars on one year and one player and nothing else matters does escape me. I don't see how that can be considered smart business unless he plays at a level he has not performed at in 3 or 4 years.

I don't get the vitriol for this deal.  Sure, the Packers are overpaying him this year.  But, they have the cap money and there's no one else to spend it on.  Walker has said he would not re-sign with them, so the money couldn't even have gone to him.

And once you take out year 1, years 2 and 3 are for a total of $8 million.  If he's anywhere near the player he was, that's not a bad deal at all.

You people act like they had anywhere better to put that money.  If they hadn't spent it on Woodson, they would have just ended up well under the cap this year. 

Big risk, big reward.  The Packer hate in here is strong.
I think the entire point though, is not necessarily slamming the Pack for this move now, but for doing something too late. You are correct, at this point you might as well spend your money for this season. And if it's true that there is no bonus, they can just cut him after this season if he is a bust. But why did they wait so long to end up throwing a bunch of money at this guy? It's like being one of the last two guys left with money in a fantasy auction draft and realizing that you have a quarter of your payroll left. Yeah, you can spend 1/8 of your payroll on Joey Harrington now but what were you doing holding that money earlier in the draft when Tom Brady went for less than that? You're paying inflated prices at the end because you screwed up earlier.
Yep. I agree with that. I think there are two parts to that equation.1) The Packers weren't nearly aggressive enough.

2) Even when they went after a guy, they never ended up getting him.

Personally, with as much room as they have left, I think they should have upped the ante a little on the guys they were chasing earlier. As much as I love GB, the truth of the matter is that they need to spend a little (or a lot) more than most teams to attract free agents right now.

Last years 10th rated defense had a weakness, the D.B.'s. That has now been shorn up with the addition of a servicable Safety and a good, though not great Corner. The money is too high this year but is in line over three years so no worries. Now, what happens if they add Hawk to this improved unit? What happens if they trade down and end up with Tamba Hali to upgrade their defense again and they get a good addition or two to their offensive line?

I'd have prefered he came cheaper, but this is not outrageous as some here would paint it.
:goodposting:

The Pack is committing over 10 million dollars in cap space this year on an iffy propostion. Watching the Patriots conduct business over the past 5 years I can easily say that the Pack could have used that money in a far better manner and filled far more holes boith on the field and in the leadership department. The thinking that you can simply throw out 10 million dollars on one year and one player and nothing else matters does escape me. I don't see how that can be considered smart business unless he plays at a level he has not performed at in 3 or 4 years.
you will get no argument from me on anything listed here boston :thumbup: it's just difficult to read responses that bash the cap ramifications of the contract. every point made in the post above are completly legit

Does Favre coming back have anything to do with it?

:unsure:
Woodson will get so much practice intercepting Favre, he probably will make the Pro Bowl.

Good signing.

Pushes Carroll to Nickel back...no Woodson will not play safety. Manuel and Roman will compete the other spot is Collins.

10 mil is a bit much guranteed...but not all that bad for the type of guy he can be when healthy. It is a big risk, big reward proposition...taking the risk during the year they can afford to do so with the cap space.

Does Favre coming back have anything to do with it?

:unsure:
Woodson will get so practice intercepting Favre, he probably will make the Pro Bowl.
I can dig the bitterness of Vikings fans. Afterall, for the last eight years they have had the best talent in the division. absent one run in 98 they have languished behind the Packers (and even the Bears more than once). That sort of epic underachievement would drive anybody mad, and it seems to have made most vikings fams into absolute Favre haters. Why blame Favre though, he hasn't owned you guys like he has owned the Bears. (In fact do the Bears yet have a Q.B. on their roster with as many wins in their home stadium as has Favre?)

This is a good signing. If he blows, the Packers can cut him after the season with no cap ramifications. The contract may be inflated(it is Green Bay we are talking about), but the Packers have all the leverage here. This contract also means that Woodson will probably be training/playing as hard as he can, in an attempt to keep the $ rolling in. I think the deal is perfect, and I'm not a Packer fan.

On the other hand, the Bears and Vikings are the elite teams in the NFC North, and both rely on their running game. I guess he may allow the Pack to keep more men in the box, so to speak.

The Pack is committing over 10 million dollars in cap space this year on an iffy propostion.  Watching the Patriots conduct business over the past 5 years I can easily say that the Pack could have used that money in a far better manner and filled far more holes boith on the field and in the leadership department.  The thinking that you can simply throw out 10 million dollars on one year and one player and nothing else matters does escape me.  I don't see how that can be considered smart business unless he plays at a level he has not performed at in 3 or 4 years.
you will get no argument from me on anything listed here boston :thumbup: it's just difficult to read responses that bash the cap ramifications of the contract. every point made in the post above are completly legit
I think the packers were in an unusual position this year, sure they had a ton of cap space and would have loved to sit back and scoop up the bargins late in the off season like the pats have for the last five years but the with the extension of the CBA virtually every team ended up having some cap room. This is going to keep teams from cutting those mid level servicable vets that the Pats have made a killing on. It has also allowed teams to way over pay for talent. I think that it was Pat Kirwin (sp?) on the NFL network who pointed out that while the cap went up players didnt get any more talented so while everyone else was overpaying talent the packers were waiting to see if they were going to be in total rebuilding mode or try to get a couple of older players to be respectable this year (thanks Brett).

So the pack was stuck with a ton of cap room and no one to spend it on. What they opted to do was to use that cap space to construct a deal that gave a guy a ton of money that primarally counted against this years cap. If he gets hurt or stinks sure he made out like a bandit for one year but he wont be killing the teams cap after that. Is it the ideal situation for the packers, no, but it was the best way that they could use the cap room they have given the situation. Hopefull the pack will take advantage of thier remaining cap room to craft similar deals to extend some of thier young talent (I know what young talent) and further improve thier future cap situation.

Seems related. ;)

There's talk that Woodson would switch to safety, but GB just signed Manuel. Would he switch, and bump MM to the bench, or is that a long term plan?
Manual would compete with Roman for SS, with Woodson going to FS, I would guess.
Nick Collins?I thought Roman was gone.

Seems related. ;)

Nick Collins?I thought Roman was gone.
You are correct Collins is the starting SS. I don't see Woodson playing SS, he will displace Carroll at CB, making Carroll the Nickel Back.

Thank God the Bucs passed at that kind of money.
Sour grapes down? I guarantee Woodson will help the Packers on the field more than having all that cap space did.
Sour grapes? He'd be a luxury for the Bucs, not a necessity.
Ok. And how did this team that only needs defensive help as a luxury fare in the playoffs? The one goal of every team in the NFL is to win the Super Bowl. That's all that matters. Everything else is a distant second. So to say that upgrading is a luxury is laughable. But I don't really care, the Bucs are awesome anyway right? Caddy's wiring and all should carry them through...

:goodposting: We don't hate, we :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: at the downfall of the Pack.

They are one CW injury away from being the L.A. Packers. :D That would put them in cap hell, and keep the at the bottom of the league for 5 more years.
You didn't read the part about the "no signing bonus did you?" :hophead:

Sour grapes down? I guarantee Woodson will help the Packers on the field more than having all that cap space did.
Ok. And how did this team that only needs defensive help as a luxury fare in the playoffs? The one goal of every team in the NFL is to win the Super Bowl. That's all that matters. Everything else is a distant second. So to say that upgrading is a luxury is laughable. But I don't really care, the Bucs are awesome anyway right? Caddy's wiring and all should carry them through...
Huh? What on Earth are you talking about? Defensive secondary is a relative strength going into 2006 -- look at their corners, they'e been there for years. You can onlu upgrade so much in a salary-cap era.Woodson was a luxury. Maybe if he was an offensive lineman or a wideout, it would be a different story.

:crazy:

Cap hell? How so...by giving him 10 mil up front and the rest being very very friendly for the Packers? And considering they were around 19 million under...that still leaves them below the cap.Where are you getting cap hell from?

:rolleyes:

Huh? What on Earth are you talking about? Defensive secondary is a relative strength going into 2006 :crazy:
Really? Here is a bit from the St. Petersburg Times on 4-26-06."It seems every draft has an abundance of corners," Mortensen said. "One prominent head coach told me at the combine that when the defensive backs ran the 40-yard dash there were 11 that ran under 4.4 seconds. He joked that a lot of scouts were going to lose their jobs because they love their stop watches.

"Everybody believes you can't have enough corners."

Including the Bucs.

Starters Ronde Barber and Brian Kelly are among the league's top tandems, with Barber a three-time Pro Bowler. Yet neither is in the first half of his career; Barber is 31 and Kelly 30. Tampa Bay re-signed free agent Juran Bolden to play the nickel against three-receiver sets, but his play last season was spotty.

Beyond Bolden, the roster lacks depth, so it would make sense for the Bucs to select a cornerback on the first day. At best, a high-round pick might challenge Bolden for the No.3 spot. At worst, that player could learn behind Barber and Kelly.

With the No.23 overall pick, the Bucs are among a cluster of teams that might select defensive backs, including the Cowboys, Chargers at No.19, Chiefs at No.20, Patriots at No.21 and the Bears at No.26.

"I think cornerback is deep," Bucs coach Jon Gruden said of the draft class. "It's a good group of cornerbacks."

3 yrs. 18mil for a overrated, washed up corner ? that's the joke... :lmao:

Huh? What on Earth are you talking about? Defensive secondary is a relative strength going into 2006 :crazy:
Really? Here is a bit from the St. Petersburg Times on 4-26-06."It seems every draft has an abundance of corners," Mortensen said. "One prominent head coach told me at the combine that when the defensive backs ran the 40-yard dash there were 11 that ran under 4.4 seconds. He joked that a lot of scouts were going to lose their jobs because they love their stop watches.

"Everybody believes you can't have enough corners."

Including the Bucs.

Starters Ronde Barber and Brian Kelly are among the league's top tandems, with Barber a three-time Pro Bowler. Yet neither is in the first half of his career; Barber is 31 and Kelly 30. Tampa Bay re-signed free agent Juran Bolden to play the nickel against three-receiver sets, but his play last season was spotty.

Beyond Bolden, the roster lacks depth, so it would make sense for the Bucs to select a cornerback on the first day. At best, a high-round pick might challenge Bolden for the No.3 spot. At worst, that player could learn behind Barber and Kelly.

With the No.23 overall pick, the Bucs are among a cluster of teams that might select defensive backs, including the Cowboys, Chargers at No.19, Chiefs at No.20, Patriots at No.21 and the Bears at No.26.

"I think cornerback is deep," Bucs coach Jon Gruden said of the draft class. "It's a good group of cornerbacks."
Of course they're looking for a young CB. Kelly and Barber are 30+.What Charles Woodson, who is around 30 or so and a young CB who would be 21 or 22 and not coming off years of injuries have to do with each other, I wouldn't know.

The Bucs have three 'quality' corners now. Most teams don't have a 4th standout corner. So I would think it's not much of a present need.

I don't get the vitriol for this deal.  Sure, the Packers are overpaying him this year.  But, they have the cap money and there's no one else to spend it on.  Walker has said he would not re-sign with them, so the money couldn't even have gone to him.

And once you take out year 1, years 2 and 3 are for a total of $8 million.  If he's anywhere near the player he was, that's not a bad deal at all.

You people act like they had anywhere better to put that money.  If they hadn't spent it on Woodson, they would have just ended up well under the cap this year. 

It seems like quite a bit of money for Woodson, but compare it to the Jaguars signing Brian Williams, which was relatively early in FA and more or less set the market for CB's. His deal included $10 million in guaranteed money and he was not even a starting CB at the beginning of the season last year. I haven't researched it, but I think most people consider Woodson to be a better d-back than Williams right now.

It seems like quite a bit of money for Woodson, but compare it to the Jaguars signing Brian Williams, which was relatively early in FA and more or less set the market for CB's. His deal included $10 million in guaranteed money and he was not even a starting CB at the beginning of the season last year. I haven't researched it, but I think most people consider Woodson to be a better d-back than Williams right now.
:yes:

I don't get the vitriol for this deal. Sure, the Packers are overpaying him this year. But, they have the cap money and there's no one else to spend it on. Walker has said he would not re-sign with them, so the money couldn't even have gone to him.

And once you take out year 1, years 2 and 3 are for a total of $8 million. If he's anywhere near the player he was, that's not a bad deal at all.

You people act like they had anywhere better to put that money. If they hadn't spent it on Woodson, they would have just ended up well under the cap this year.

Big risk, big reward. The Packer hate in here is strong.
I don't know, since Williams was drafted he has twice as many INTs as Woodson has had in that time. He also has 48 starts versus Woodson's 42 and 262 tackles versus 205. And yes, the guaranteed money for Williams is $10M, but that's spread over 7 years with a very reasonable $20M in salary over those 7 years. Like I said, at this point you might as well spend the money and they did a nice job of creating a contract that could benefit them long term while still giving themselves the flexibility of bailing after the first year with no negative impact going forward. But it's still a huge salary cap number for him for one season.

One thing that hasn't been brought up yet though, is how much this will screw any team wanting to use the franchise tag on a corner next season. Nothing like factoring in a $10M salary into the mix.

I like the Packers signing of Woodson a lot! 7 for $52MM though is :eek:
If you think he will see that much...you have issues.
There is no way in hell that Woodson finishes out that contract. I like Woodson as a player, always have. He has had some serious motivation problems the pat 3/4 years though. I can't say I like this signing or that I don't at this point in time. My gut tells me it was a good one, but it will really depend on if the money has motivated Woodson or not IMO.

My issue is with people who put football ahead of God, their spouses, their kids, their jobs, etc., etc., etc......wrapping themselves in "the best fans on the planet" banner instead of making it past Stage One of their twelve step programs related to some ******-up priorities.

I love my football too, but I honestly didn't make it through an entire four quarters of football in a sitting last season....as I have a three-year old and (now) a three-month old who need their dad more than I need to cheer/yell at my TV. That, and I don't feel the need to paint my rec room green and gold or name any of my kids "Brett". :rolleyes:

I am just continually amazed at how fiercely (and blindly) loyal Packer-backers can be to their squad...and how quickly they can turn on a player if he gets even a half-step off the company mantra. Purple fans can be like that too (just go on the Rube Chat boards at KFAN if you want to see some dumb-** people with some seriously out-of-whack priorities). That said, at least a lot of those guys were probably drunk or still in high school at the time they were posting....and not grown men who still act as if their football team was the most important thing on earth.

So YES, I agree....I have issues. ;)

My issue is with people who put football ahead of God, their spouses, their kids, their jobs, etc., etc., etc......wrapping themselves in "the best fans on the planet" banner instead of making it past Stage One of their twelve step programs related to some ******-up priorities.

I love my football too, but I honestly didn't make it through an entire four quarters of football in a sitting last season....as I have a three-year old and (now) a three-month old who need their dad more than I need to cheer/yell at my TV. That, and I don't feel the need to paint my rec room green and gold or name any of my kids "Brett". :rolleyes:

I am just continually amazed at how fiercely (and blindly) loyal Packer-backers can be to their squad...and how quickly they can turn on a player if he gets even a half-step off the company mantra. Purple fans can be like that too (just go on the Rube Chat boards at KFAN if you want to see some dumb-** people with some seriously out-of-whack priorities). That said, at least a lot of those guys were probably drunk or still in high school at the time they were posting....and not grown men who still act as if their football team was the most important thing on earth.

So YES, I agree....I have issues. ;)
You forgot to mention the lengths someone will go to try and bash an opposing team and fans on an internet message board.

Charles Woodson set a career high in interceptions recently. While I still think he got paid more than he was worth, I think this ended up being a very solid signing for them. Harris/Woodson is a very good corner tandem. Hopefully, they can make that stick for a while.

Now, if their linebackers and safeties could cover, things would be much better.

Charles Woodson set a career high in interceptions recently. While I still think he got paid more than he was worth, I think this ended up being a very solid signing for them. Harris/Woodson is a very good corner tandem. Hopefully, they can make that stick for a while.

Now, if their linebackers and safeties could cover, things would be much better.
One more year :thumbdown:

What does that have to do with the fact that Woodson has never been considered a leader?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not saying he ever has been. . .I'm saying he has the opportunity to take that roll. Harris didn't seem to fall into it, and after that, the rest of the secondary is pretty fresh. . .who knows, this could push Harris into that roll depending on his performance. The point is, that if Woodson can come in and become a playmaker, he by default becomes a "leader" on that def just from an enery point of view. Obviously Favre is the "Leader" of the team, which is the most important part of Favre coming back. Now, getting some vetrans on the other side of the ball will help the team from a sense of a comfort level. And I think Woodson could help fill that gap. . . .for the same reason it would have been helpfull if Arrington would have signed.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There's a big difference between being a playmaker and being a leader. If all it took to be a leader was making plays than TO would be the Abraham Lincoln of the NFL. Yet, there's far more to leadership than making big plays on the field.Woodson has been playing on past reputation the past few years but maybe a change of scenery will reenergize him. I'm not a fan of the money being spent here but Green Bay does need some playmakers so they are willing to roll the dice. Yet, Woodson has never been a leader in the past and it would be out of character for him to become one now.
Given last sunday, I thought this would be a good time to bump this thread from years back. . . .

Well, that certainly worked out well for them, huh? Did anyone REALLY think that Woodson would be one of the best CBs in the league 5 years later? Gotta give both the Packers and Woodson a TON of credit. :confused:

Imagine that!! Another ancient Packer thread bumped. WTF?
I didn't bump this just because it was a Packers thread. . .Most of this post was calling out Woodson as an overrated, overpaid mistake by the Packers.Similar to the "McCarthy is going to suck" thread, I think it's good fun to bring back old topics that were so far off. Not to mention, that isnt it a fans right to do so? Don't get to do it all the time ya know. . .hehe

Users who are viewing this thread