What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

EVILGRIN'S BIG TIME FIRST ROUND MOCK w/ COMMENTARY (1 Viewer)

Evilgrin 72

Distributor of Pain
Away we go. Any and all comments, questions, gripes, kudos are appreciated.

1 - Oakland - JaMarcus Russell, QB, LSU. Raiders still haven’t moved Moss for Rodgers, so Russell is the pick unless that happens. They passed on Rivers and Roethlisberger, they won’t make that mistake again. Quinn is a possibility here, but the Raiders love the vertical passing game and Russell’s arm is as strong as it gets.

2- Detroit - Brady Quinn, QB, Notre Dame. Joe Thomas and Gaines Adams are possibilities here, as is a trade down. If Detroit stays put, I don’t see how they pass on Quinn, who has the pedigree teams look for in a top pick. Perfect situation where he can learn the offense from Kitna and start next season. Plus, Quinn’s bust potential makes him a natural fit for a Matt Millen selection.

3- Cleveland - Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma. Thomas again looms as a possibility, but I don’t think for one second that the Browns are looking at Jamal Lewis as the future at RB. Peterson is a prototype NFL back, with an unmatched size/speed combo in this draft and the type of player the Browns can build around until he slips on a banana peel in the cafeteria, blows out his ACL, and sets the franchise back another 5 years.

4- Tampa Bay - Calvin Johnson, WR, Georgia Tech. Not Tampa’s biggest need by any stretch, but they simply cannot pass up this manchild. The best WR prospect the draft has seen in years, he can single-handedly change an offense. Simply the best player in this draft, and could have gone #1 overall in a number of other years. A steal for the Bucs at #4.

5- Arizona - Joe Thomas, OT, Wisconsin. A no-brainer.. the best OT by far falls to the team with the most gaping need at the position. If Thomas makes it to #5, the Cardinals might hire David Blaine to try to make the card just appear in Goodell’s hand, rather than having him wait for them to walk it over to him.

6- Washington - Gaines Adams, DE, Clemson. Washington may well trade this pick to Chicago, as it’s clear Snyder values draft picks in the same way that Otis values chastity. However, I suspect that the deal will not materialize, as Chicago is holding out for more and the Skins have made it clear they’re not willing to part with Macintosh and #6 for Briggs and #31. Washington had a humiliating 19 sacks all last season and Adams is the best pure pass rusher in this draft.

7- Minnesota - Ted Ginn Jr., WR, Ohio St. OK, the first blatant reach of the draft. I still think Minnesota may trade out of this spot unless Brady Quinn is there, and they also may take a long look at Levi Brown, Jamal Anderson, LaRon Landry or Leon Hall. Their biggest need is at receiver, though, and if Ginn is fully healed and runs a 4.30 40 when he works out, which I believe he can, the Vikes may not be able to pass up his game breaking ability. He’s one of 2-3 players in this draft that can single-handedly win a game with his athleticism. Of course, if his workout doesn’t go well, or he pulls up lame, I will revise this in my final mock. Of course, if they do go this way, they may time themselves out a few times so they can pay him less.

8- Atlanta - LaRon Landry, S, LSU. I’d etch this one in stone. If Landry is there when Atlanta picks, they’ll take him. They have a glaring need at safety, and Landry is one of the best to come along in a few years. The guy is an all-around player - flies to the ball, huge hitter, can play both the pass and the run - he’s the rare rookie who can start in his first year.

9 - Miami - Levi Brown, OT, Penn St. Personally, I think Levi is being a touch overrated due to positions scarcity, but it’s just that circumstance that likely puts him in Miami. Having added Joey “Manos de Piedra” Porter to shore up the defense, Miami turns its attention to a lineman that can protect Culpepper’s blind side. Brown and Vernon Carey give Miami two big tackles, and Brown’s run blocking will mean better holes for Ronnie Brown and Ricky Williams, who thinks Canadian weed sucks.

10- Houston - Amobi Okoye, DT, Louisville. This team has so many needs - and safety and OT are high among them. However, with Landry and Brown going just before their slot (hope Schaub pans out, guys) - Okoye becomes a logical pick. Houston is switching from a 3-4 to a 4-3 and will need a tackle, probably more than one. Okoye has passed Alan Branch in the minds of many scouts, and at only 19 years old, his upside potential is gigantic.

11- San Francisco - Alan Branch, DT, Michigan Which means Branch goes to San Francisco. I’ve seen most mocks projecting Patrick Willis or a wideout here, both of which fill needs, but I don’t see LB as the need DT is, nor is there a receiver available that I think they’ll find irresistible at this spot, given that a Sidney Rice or Steve Smith could be there for them in round 2. Nolan hired Greg Manusky to implement the 3-4, the key to which is a dominant NT. Sopoaga is not the answer, but Branch very well could be. I think he’s ideally suited to play nose, although many have hinted he could play 3-4 end, but to me his greatest attribute is his strength and athleticism, which enable him to nullify multiple blockers. In other words, exactly what a great NT does.

12- Buffalo - Marshawn Lynch, RB, California. Patrick Willis and Leon Hall get a looooong look here, but in the end, I think Buffalo jumps at the chance to replace the departed Willis McGahee with a back with prototypical size and 4.45 speed. This is a very thin draft at RB, and if Buffalo doesn’t take Lynch here, they’re not likely to find a guy who can be effective for them right away, and the A-Train runs like he’s dragging a homeless guy down the tracks. 3.5 ypc ain’t going to keep defenses honest when you also lack a top #2 WR to keep teams off of Lee Evans.

13- St. Louis - Jamaal Anderson, DE, Arkansas. I think St. Louis needs front line help terribly, and Anderson’s monster senior season has teams salivating. The Rams mustered less than 2 sacks per game, so a versatile end like Anderson can combine with Leonard Little to make a fearsome pass rush duo. After allowing almost 5 ypc last year, St. Louis desperately has to figure out how to stop runs, and Anderson could be the Immodium tablet they need.

14- Carolina - Patrick Willis - ILB - Mississippi. He played ILB in college, but can easily shift to the outside in the NFL, which is where Carolina will likely want to play him. If he’s still here at this pick, I think Carolina goes with his phenomenal size/speed combo over the heady, but less versatile Paul Posluszny. Willis’ Pro Day 40 times convinced onlookers he has the speed to rush the passer, play in coverage, or cover backs. Also a big-time character guy. I’d love to see him go to Pittsburgh, but I think my heart gets broken here. F’n Panthers.

15- Pittsburgh - Adam Carriker, DE, Nebraska. Steelers can go a lot of different ways here, and this pick may change with my next mock. I think they’re looking at LB here (and Posluszny may very well be the pick) but Paul doesn’t fit well into the 3-4 scheme as a linebacker, and all indications are that they will stick to that scheme for the near future at least. Thus, there has been talk of moving Brett Keisel to OLB, which would leave a spot wide open at RDE for this prototype 3-4 end. In addition, if they do gravitate towards the 4-3 going forward, Carriker is seen by many as a good fit as a 4-3 DT, of which the Steelers don’t have many.

16- Green Bay - Leon Hall, CB, Michigan. Hall may well go higher than this, but only San Francisco, Buffalo, and maybe Pittsburgh have serious CB needs. I think the Pack may have taken Lynch had he fallen here, but instead they settle for filling their biggest need, secondary, with the best CB on the board. I gotta take a dump, I’ll be right back.

17- Jacksonville - Reggie Nelson, S, Florida. Phew, that’s better. OK, so Jacksonville, eh. They’ll probably look hard at Posluszny and Timmons here, but their most glaring need is at safety, with the departure of Deon Grant. The local kid makes too much sense not to project here. Nelson has speed that lead some to believe he could play corner in a pinch, and the opportunity to pair Nelson with Rashean Mathis will be tantalizing for the Jags’ brass.

18- Cincinnati - Greg Olsen, TE, Miami. Cincy also has needs at LB, but why take a character guy like Posluszny that would go in that locker room like oil in water, when you can get a guy like Olsen who transferred from Notre Dame to Miami? He’ll fit in much better with the culture of this team, and also provide Carson “I Love K-Fed” Palmer with an obscene amount of weapons offensively. This guy can stretch the field and catches everything. Plus, word has it he already contacted Chris Henry to find out where the junior high chicks hang out in the Cincinnati area.

19- Tennessee - Dwayne Jarrett, WR, USC. Hunch pick here. They may go secondary if the NFL proves to be Inky to their starting corner’s Pac Man, but a bag full of ones says they want to try to appease Norm Chow after passing on Leinart for Young a year ago. Jarrett ran a good enough 40 to be a first round pick with his size and remarkable hands, and he already knows Chow’s offense. He’s probably the best suited of this receiver class to make an impact right away in Tennessee, and they need it.

20- New York Giants - Darrell Revis, CB, Pittsburgh. CB is their #1 priority, and it’s not many drafts where you can grab the consensus #2 guy in the 20s. Plus, it’ll make it two years in a row that they went after someone from Pittsburgh when they pursue Coach Cowher next offseason. Coughlin is comparing himself to Hitler in the press recently, which is a strong PR move for a guy working the final year of his deal. Anyway, I digress. Revis has legit 4.4 speed and is probably the second best cover guy in this draft behind Leon Hall. He can also return kicks.

21- Denver - Jarvis Moss, DE, Florida. Moss could go a few picks higher to Pittsburgh if they’re looking for a guy that can replace Porter at 3-4 OLB and also play 4-3 DE, but if not, I think he lands here. Denver’s primary concern is generating a better pass rush and Moss is about as well equipped to that as anyone in this draft. At almost 6’ 7”, he can easily stand to increase his bulk, and a few months in an NFL weight room will probably have him playing in the 270s next year.

22- Dallas - Aaron Ross, CB, Texas. Dallas needs to finally fill the FS spot next to Roy Williams, but with the top safeties off the board, my guess is they go with the rumored plan to move Anthony Henry to FS and select local product Ross to fill the other starting CB slot. Ross is a late comer due to being buried on a very deep Texas depth chart, but he really came on this year and won the Thorpe award in his only season as a starter. Has a world of potential, and seems to be a logical choice for the Cowboys. Plus, T.O. can try to destroy his confidence completely in the preseason.

23- Kansas City - Dwayne Bowe, WR, LSU. Kansas City needs a receiver - what else is new? Luckily for them, this happens to be a very receiver-rich draft and a guy like Bowe is around at #23. Bowe has terrific upside and was the talk of Senior Bowl week with his impressive displays of athleticism, body control, and hands (which were an issue going into the offseason.) Meachem and Sidney Rice will be looked at here as well, and really it’s a matter of who the personnel guys like best, so Bowe is just a guess here.

24- New England - Paul Posluszny , LB, Penn St. This one’s so easy it’s like stealing if PP is still available at #24. Posluszny is a Patriots kind of guy for one, and fills a need at LB as well. That’s all I’m going to write about this because I’m sick of typing that last name.

25- New York Jets - Chris Houston, CB, Arkansas. Houston’s vast upside is going to prevent him from dropping any farther than this. His stellar 40 time backed up what many scouts are seeing on tape, namely Houston shutting down most of the name receivers in this draft when they met in college. The Jets need a corner to pair with Dyson and Houston’s upside will vault him over McCauley.

26- Philadelphia - Michael Griffin, S, Texas. Could go WR very easily here, but with the signing of Curtis, I think they’ll address that later and tend to the ailing secondary. Griffin projects to free safety ideally in the NFL, but did have 12 starts at strong safety in 2005, so he knows the position and could slot in well next to Dawkins. He’s a hitter and can provide an immediate impact on special teams as well. Chicks dig him because he rarely wears underwear, and when he does, it’s usually something exotic.

27- New Orleans- Lawrence Timmons, LB, Florida St. New Orleans is sure to go defense with this pick, but they need help on the line, at LB, and in the secondary. At this point, while McCauley, Eric Wright, Brandon Meriwether, and Justin Harrell may be options, I believe they’ll go BDPA and take the fast, hard-hitting Timmons. Some think he’s better than Ernie Sims, who was a top-10 pick last year. An upside guy for sure, and could start at the weakside spot sooner rather than later.

28- New England - Eric Weddle, S, Utah. Another hunch pick, as NFL teams may just decide that Weddle doesn’t have the athleticism to play every down in the NFL and he could free-fall. However, he’s an incredibly heady ball player who just seems like the kind of guy that would fit in New England like Andre the Giant would have fit at my family reunions. Plus, he possesses the versatility to play multiple spots in the secondary, which is really just what the doctor ordered for New England.

29- Baltimore - Joe Staley, OT, C. Michigan. I think they’ll look at Justin Blalock here as well, but Blalock’s limited athleticism means he’ll likely only be able to play guard in the NFL. I believe Baltimore’s more pressing need, aside from a uniform color other than purple, is at tackle, and Staley is a late-riser with terrific athleticism whom many believe is just scratching the surface of his potential. If he can bulk up and prove he can handle NFL bull rushers, he’ll be a ten year starter, meaning he’ll be anchoring the Ravens’ line long after Billick has retired to masturbate to pictures of himself full-time.

30 - San Diego - Robert Meachem, WR, Tennessee. San Diego may have more pressing needs on the defensive side of the ball, meaning a guy like Meriwether or Beason could easily be the choice here, but they’ve need a top-notch receiver for so long that it seems difficult to imagine they’d pass up a guy like Meachem. With his size and speed, he has potential #1 WR written all over him, and to get a guy like that after a season in which you were minutes from the conference title game is an opportunity that doesn’t come around every day.

31- Chicago - Ben Grubbs, OG, Auburn. If the Briggs situation doesn’t resolve itself, I expect Beason from Miami to be taken here, but if Briggs is in a Bears’ uniform come September, as I imagine he may be, then their most pressing need is to shore up the OL. Grubbs has surpassed Blalock as the most coveted OG in the draft, and is a worthy choice at this spot. They could also draft Drew Stanton here, and while it would raise a few eyebrows, I don’t think anyone would blame them. Rex Grossman should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell.

32 - Indianapolis - Jon Beason, OLB, Miami. This is sure to be a defense pick, and with the departure of Cato June, it makes too much sense not to project this. He’s too big and too fast not to get snapped up in the first 40 or so picks, and he could theoretically step right in for June.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, that’s it. I haven’t been on top of every single personnel move that’s been made, so if a perceived need has been filled, let me know so I can make revisions to my next mock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is Calvin Johnson falling to #3 the equivalant of Reggie Bush falling to #2 last year?

I can't get over how not just one team, (the team that gets Calvin Johnson) but two teams, (the team that gets Joe Thomas) are going to be extremly lucky to get them where they do.

:mellow: always enjoy an EG72 mock.

I like that you justified the Ginn reach with the disclaimer that he needs to be healthy and work out for it to happen. Its true, if he runs a 4.3, he just might pop back up from his current late first round grade.

Agreed on the Landry/Atlanta marriage. Once again, this is why moving up from 10 to 8 is not trivial.

If I were a Bills fan and they passed on Willis for Lynch, I think i'd break my TV. No disrespect to Lynch, but Willis has to be VERY high on Buffalo's board.

I highly doubt Cincy passes up filling one of many needs on D to take a TE, but as a fellow Steeler diehard, I wouldnt mind seeing it happen.

Maybe I've looked at this stuff too much, but Landry to Atlanta doesn't seem like such a lock to me anymore. I think they take Levi Brown ( :unsure: ), move Jimmy Williams to safety and draft a corner with one of their 2nds.

I cannot see any conceivable way the Vikings take Ginn at #7.

St. Louis mitigated their need for DE by picking up James Hall from Detroit.

:unsure: always enjoy an EG72 mock.I like that you justified the Ginn reach with the disclaimer that he needs to be healthy and work out for it to happen. Its true, if he runs a 4.3, he just might pop back up from his current late first round grade.Agreed on the Landry/Atlanta marriage. Once again, this is why moving up from 10 to 8 is not trivial.If I were a Bills fan and they passed on Willis for Lynch, I think i'd break my TV. No disrespect to Lynch, but Willis has to be VERY high on Buffalo's board.I highly doubt Cincy passes up filling one of many needs on D to take a TE, but as a fellow Steeler diehard, I wouldnt mind seeing it happen.
I weighed the Willis/Lynch choice for a while. It could easily go the other way.As far as Cincinnati goes, I just needed to find a place to put Olsen and the Bengals really have weak TEs. If they did this, they'd likely go defense on their next 3 picks, but it could happen.

Maybe I've looked at this stuff too much, but Landry to Atlanta doesn't seem like such a lock to me anymore. I think they take Levi Brown ( :yucky: ), move Jimmy Williams to safety and draft a corner with one of their 2nds.I cannot see any conceivable way the Vikings take Ginn at #7.St. Louis mitigated their need for DE by picking up James Hall from Detroit.
When I wrote this, my first thought was : "Andy D. is going to kill me on this Ginn pick." :D If he comes out in his private workout and runs a 4.29 40 (he will if he's fully recovered) - his stock will skyrocket. With the Vikes' biggest need at WR and their odd drafting history, I could see it. It's the pick I'm least comfortable with in the whole thing and will likely change before draft day, but I took a shot....I wanted to go DT for St. Louis, but there was no one there worth the selection.... good info there though, thanks.

Maybe I've looked at this stuff too much, but Landry to Atlanta doesn't seem like such a lock to me anymore. I think they take Levi Brown ( :yucky: ), move Jimmy Williams to safety and draft a corner with one of their 2nds.I cannot see any conceivable way the Vikings take Ginn at #7.St. Louis mitigated their need for DE by picking up James Hall from Detroit.
1) Petrino already said Williams is going to be given every chance to remain a starter at RCB. What else makes you think Landry and Atlanta are not a good match?2) get back in touch with the pessimistic Vikes fan in you, and I think you'll see a conceivable way.3) Hall is a nice workmanlike two way end, but he's no long term answer. Just because a team has addressed a need for the near term does not preclude them investing in that position in the draft for the long term. We are often only looking at the now when we project needs, but teams (at least the smart teams) are drafting for projected fall offs in older players and potential cap cuts and free agent losses in the future. If anyone keeps the Rams from taking a DE early, itll be Adeyanju, not Hall.

When I wrote this, my first thought was : "Andy D. is going to kill me on this Ginn pick." :D If he comes out in his private workout and runs a 4.29 40 (he will if he's fully recovered) - his stock will skyrocket. With the Vikes' biggest need at WR and their odd drafting history, I could see it. It's the pick I'm least comfortable with in the whole thing and will likely change before draft day, but I took a shot....
:) I do the same stuff to Chaos Commish.While the biggest need for the Vikings on offense is obviously WR, I don't think the braintrusts (lol at THAT term) modus operandi says take a WR in the 1st. And I think they'd view Ginn as a Williamson clone.I wouldn't be terribly disappointed if they took Ginn, but I woulnd't be thrilled either.
I wanted to go DT for St. Louis, but there was no one there worth the selection.... good info there though, thanks.
That's why they go linebacker in the 1st :yucky: .

When I wrote this, my first thought was : "Andy D. is going to kill me on this Ginn pick." :D If he comes out in his private workout and runs a 4.29 40 (he will if he's fully recovered) - his stock will skyrocket. With the Vikes' biggest need at WR and their odd drafting history, I could see it. It's the pick I'm least comfortable with in the whole thing and will likely change before draft day, but I took a shot....
:) I do the same stuff to Chaos Commish.While the biggest need for the Vikings on offense is obviously WR, I don't think the braintrusts (lol at THAT term) modus operandi says take a WR in the 1st. And I think they'd view Ginn as a Williamson clone.I wouldn't be terribly disappointed if they took Ginn, but I woulnd't be thrilled either.
I wanted to go DT for St. Louis, but there was no one there worth the selection.... good info there though, thanks.
That's why they go linebacker in the 1st :yucky: .
I thought about Willis there too, but I figured they needed line help more. I'll revisit that in version 2.0. Thanks for the input (and yours, Senor Bloom.)

Maybe I've looked at this stuff too much, but Landry to Atlanta doesn't seem like such a lock to me anymore. I think they take Levi Brown ( :yucky: ), move Jimmy Williams to safety and draft a corner with one of their 2nds.

When I wrote this, my first thought was : "Andy D. is going to kill me on this Ginn pick." :D If he comes out in his private workout and runs a 4.29 40 (he will if he's fully recovered) - his stock will skyrocket. With the Vikes' biggest need at WR and their odd drafting history, I could see it. It's the pick I'm least comfortable with in the whole thing and will likely change before draft day, but I took a shot....I wanted to go DT for St. Louis, but there was no one there worth the selection.... good info there though, thanks.
Is Ginn all that, though? He's a superlative return man, but it seems that he's not a great WR.

I highly doubt Cincy passes up filling one of many needs on D to take a TE, but as a fellow Steeler diehard, I wouldnt mind seeing it happen.
:D :yucky: :finger: :P
I weighed the Willis/Lynch choice for a while. It could easily go the other way.

As far as Cincinnati goes, I just needed to find a place to put Olsen and the Bengals really have weak pass-catching TEs. If they did this, they'd likely go defense on their next 3 picks, but it could happen.
Fixed GB. I suppose targeting a TE early is possible if Chris Henry is suspended for the season and it's felt that both Perrys can't recover adequately. But CB is too big a need to pass. The WR/TE group is deep enough in the middle rounds that they can probably get somebody after they address the defensive needs.

1) Petrino already said Williams is going to be given every chance to remain a starter at RCB. What else makes you think Landry and Atlanta are not a good match?
Since when do we take what coaches say in the preseason at face value. :D And I said that it's not a lock, not that it's not a good match. It's a GREAT match, but the Falcons have options/other needs too.
2) get back in touch with the pessimistic Vikes fan in you, and I think you'll see a conceivable way.
:yucky: Who knows with the crew we have manning the Vikings ship?
3) Hall is a nice workmanlike two way end, but he's no long term answer. Just because a team has addressed a need for the near term does not preclude them investing in that position in the draft for the long term. We are often only looking at the now when we project needs, but teams (at least the smart teams) are drafting for projected fall offs in older players and potential cap cuts and free agent losses in the future. If anyone keeps the Rams from taking a DE early, itll be Adeyanju, not Hall.
Hall had an outstanding season in 2005 but was hurt for most of 2006. Adeyanju is one dimensional and the draft is deep at DE. Not so much at LB. (My next mock has them taking Posluszny).Still. DE is a fine projection. I had both Carriker and Jamaal Anderson going to them at one time or another.

Maybe I've looked at this stuff too much, but Landry to Atlanta doesn't seem like such a lock to me anymore. I think they take Levi Brown ( :yucky: ), move Jimmy Williams to safety and draft a corner with one of their 2nds.

Is Ginn all that, though? He's a superlative return man, but it seems that he's not a great WR.
He's still young and has a ton of potential. I think a team that fell in love with his speed would see him as a potential Steve Smith, with not quite the wiggle, but more straight-line speed. Ginn can be a Hester/Hall-like game changer with his return abilities alone... plus, add the fact that if he doesn't pan out as a receiver, many teams think he has first round potential as a CB, and I can imagine someone reaching for him.

:D :yucky: :finger: :P
I weighed the Willis/Lynch choice for a while. It could easily go the other way.

As far as Cincinnati goes, I just needed to find a place to put Olsen and the Bengals really have weak pass-catching TEs. If they did this, they'd likely go defense on their next 3 picks, but it could happen.
Fixed GB. I suppose targeting a TE early is possible if Chris Henry is suspended for the season and it's felt that both Perrys can't recover adequately. But CB is too big a need to pass. The WR/TE group is deep enough in the middle rounds that they can probably get somebody after they address the defensive needs.
Yes, you're correct on that - pass-catching TEs. They could easily go CB here, and I probably would have had them doing that (or going LB) - it's just that I am personally extremely high on Olsen from what I've seen and think he could be a bonafide stud at TE.

Gotta drive home now... back in 15 to answer any more questions/comments for about 15-30 mins, then I'll be back tomorrow.

FYI: Houston already switched to the 4-3 last year. They have bodies at DT although Okoye would be an upgrade, but if Jamaal Anderson is still on the board, I think they would go DE over DT and get a nice bookend to compliment Mario.

WOW this is by far the best one I've seen as of yet.

I think the wr's go in those spots but not in that order.

Great Job :lmao:

FYI: Houston already switched to the 4-3 last year. They have bodies at DT although Okoye would be an upgrade, but if Jamaal Anderson is still on the board, I think they would go DE over DT and get a nice bookend to compliment Mario.
What if it's a choice between Landry and Anderson?

What if it's a choice between Landry and Anderson?
Landry and they should they should be standing at the podium after the #9 pick to give the pick to the Commish.

I thought they played a 3-4/4-3 hybrid last year, but maybe I'm wrong. I might change this with the next mock and project Anderson to Houston and Okoye to St. Louis. Thanks for the info.

WOW this is by far the best one I've seen as of yet. I think the wr's go in those spots but not in that order.Great Job :thumbup:
Thanks. With the WRs, it's going to be a situation where a team may fall in love with one guy, but we won't know it until the card is read. Bowe, Jarrett, Ginn, Meachem, and even Steve Smith and Sidney Rice could go 2-7 in any order and I wouldn't be all that shocked.

I thought they played a 3-4/4-3 hybrid last year, but maybe I'm wrong. I might change this with the next mock and project Anderson to Houston and Okoye to St. Louis. Thanks for the info.
I dunno. I think you could keep it as it is. A DT like Okoye would probably help as much if not more than another DE.

I dunno. I think you could keep it as it is. A DT like Okoye would probably help as much if not more than another DE.
I might. I just want to get as much homer feedback as possible (as well as from the feloow draft nuts like you, Chaos Commish, Bloom, Dowling, etc..) so that my final mock will be put together with as much information as I can get my hands on.

Also, Andy... since you're a Vikes fan...

If Minnesota stays at #7, do you think they address their biggest need, WR, or wait until an ensuing round. If yes, do you think they'd prefer someone else to Ginn (assuming Calvin is gone)? Or do you not see WR as their biggest concern?

Am I the only one that thinks the Colts might take a WR in the 1st round? As deep as this draft is in quality WRs, I'm pretty sure a very good one will be there at 32, but I'm not so sure one will be there in the 3rd round (Colts don't have a 2nd). I say this because of the age of Harrison. Yes, the Colts need defense (DT and LB), but they might just wait until the 3rd and beyond for that. I also think the Colts will take a RB with one of their comp picks.

Am I the only one that thinks the Colts might take a WR in the 1st round? As deep as this draft is in quality WRs, I'm pretty sure a very good one will be there at 32, but I'm not so sure one will be there in the 3rd round (Colts don't have a 2nd). I say this because of the age of Harrison. Yes, the Colts need defense (DT and LB), but they might just wait until the 3rd and beyond for that. I also think the Colts will take a RB with one of their comp picks.
It's possible, but I thought they might wait a year or go with a more developmental pick. IMO, LB is a much more pressing need and one that should be addressed first, considering a guy like Beason was there at #32 in this example. If he were off the board and Meachem were still there, maybe... but I still think they go defense first.

I might. I just want to get as much homer feedback as possible (as well as from the feloow draft nuts like you, Chaos Commish, Bloom, Dowling, etc..) so that my final mock will be put together with as much information as I can get my hands on.
I think the only thing that was flawed was the reason behind Okoye. the texans don't have a quick penetraitng DT nor a true passing rushing DE. Unless you draft, a QB, MLB or a Strong side DE you probably not missing with the Texans.

If Minnesota stays at #7, do you think they address their biggest need, WR, or wait until an ensuing round. If yes, do you think they'd prefer someone else to Ginn (assuming Calvin is gone)? Or do you not see WR as their biggest concern?
WR is definitely the biggest need on offense (right side of the line is 2nd biggest).But I don't think they're considering a WR at #7. I know that they'd LOVE to trade out of that spot, say down to around #12-#17ish. At that point, they may consider someone like Meachem.

The more likely scenario is a 2nd round receiver. Possibly even later. I think they're following the Philly mode of "Don't get burned by 1st round receivers."

The biggest need as a team though is DE. Erasmus James just had another surgery and probably won't be ready for camp. Which likely means he won't make an impact this year either. I'm prepared to stick a fork in him.

Not at all. I'm toying with the idea of them taking Sidney Rice.

WR is definitely the biggest need on offense (right side of the line is 2nd biggest).But I don't think they're considering a WR at #7. I know that they'd LOVE to trade out of that spot, say down to around #12-#17ish. At that point, they may consider someone like Meachem.

The more likely scenario is a 2nd round receiver. Possibly even later. I think they're following the Philly mode of "Don't get burned by 1st round receivers."

The biggest need as a team though is DE. Erasmus James just had another surgery and probably won't be ready for camp. Which likely means he won't make an impact this year either. I'm prepared to stick a fork in him.
Good food for thought. If Ginn doesn't dazzle at his individual workout, I might even project Anderson to the Vikings. I thought about that as it was, but I wasn't privy to the latest on James. BKU hasn't really been all that spectacular either - I guess the Vikes run defense was so good last year added to the fact that they've used high picks in recent drafts on DEs, that I kind of ruled out DL when I shouldn't have..

Good food for thought. If Ginn doesn't dazzle at his individual workout, I might even project Anderson to the Vikings. I thought about that as it was, but I wasn't privy to the latest on James. BKU hasn't really been all that spectacular either - I guess the Vikes run defense was so good last year added to the fact that they've used high picks in recent drafts on DEs, that I kind of ruled out DL when I shouldn't have..
I think the Vikings are a near lock for one of Adams or Anderson if they stay at #7.

I think the Vikings are a near lock for one of Adams or Anderson if they stay at #7.
OK, I'll wait and see if Ginn posts that 4.29. :lmao:

I know that they'd LOVE to trade out of that spot, say down to around #12-#17ish. At that point, they may consider someone like Meachem.
I agree with this 100% by the way. I think I mentioned it in the mock, but as I was working on their pick, the only thing I kept thinking was that if I were Minnesota, I'd be burning up the phones to either move up to #4 or (much more likely) down to #12 or so.

finally, a mock that doesnt have the jets taking Greg Olsen. Ive never understood that one. The jets are all about character guys, and transfering from Notre Dame to Miami doesnt scream character to me.

Sign me up for Chris Houston right now. He looks like a very phsyical corner with a ton of upside.

Overall, very nice work, although i have a feeling that there will be a few teams talking with Detroit about a move for CJ/

finally, a mock that doesnt have the jets taking Greg Olsen. Ive never understood that one. The jets are all about character guys, and transfering from Notre Dame to Miami doesnt scream character to me.
I will bite, what does a kid transferring schools have to do with character (unless they are thrown out)?

I like that you justified the Ginn reach with the disclaimer that he needs to be healthy and work out for it to happen. Its true, if he runs a 4.3, he just might pop back up from his current late first round grade.
Can someone help me understand how him running a 4.3 brings him back up to the top? This always drives me crazy. His game breaking abilities were shown on the field plenty of times already...(sorry - not attacking EG or Bloom, just the overall thought)

It's possible, but I thought they might wait a year or go with a more developmental pick. IMO, LB is a much more pressing need and one that should be addressed first, considering a guy like Beason was there at #32 in this example. If he were off the board and Meachem were still there, maybe... but I still think they go defense first.
Considering the fact that Cato June isn't that big of a loss (he's a huge blame for the Colts run defense problems), and the Colts still need a good DT for stopping the run, I think if they are drafting defense they take the BPA at either DT or LB. Again, if someone like Meachem or Bowe slips to them at 32, the Colts may feel they can't pass it up and draft defense later.

I will bite, what does a kid transferring schools have to do with character (unless they are thrown out)?
It's the idea that Notre Dame, being a religious school, would demand more from a player in terms of off-field behavior than a school like Miami, with the character issues they've had (up to and including the fight this year.) I'm not saying that's the reason he transferred, but it made for an easy shot at Cincinnati while I was penning this mock. :kicksrock:

Can someone help me understand how him running a 4.3 brings him back up to the top? This always drives me crazy. His game breaking abilities were shown on the field plenty of times already...(sorry - not attacking EG or Bloom, just the overall thought)
It's not so much that teams don't already know he has world-class speed as it is the fact that he will have not only shown he's 100% healthy but that he has a clear speed advantage over the other WRs in this draft. That's more or less accpeted, but sometimes GMs like to see it spelled out numerically, and a staggering time in the 40 affirms Ginn's ability to beat NFL corners and stretch the field.

Considering the fact that Cato June isn't that big of a loss (he's a huge blame for the Colts run defense problems), and the Colts still need a good DT for stopping the run, I think if they are drafting defense they take the BPA at either DT or LB. Again, if someone like Meachem or Bowe slips to them at 32, the Colts may feel they can't pass it up and draft defense later.
Entirely possible. After all, we're talking about the champs, they can pretty much draft BPA. However, with their run defense numbers what they were last year, I figured they'd be looking to improve that facet of the team, and Beason was the best fit for that that I could see the way this mock panned out.

Entirely possible. After all, we're talking about the champs, they can pretty much draft BPA. However, with their run defense numbers what they were last year, I figured they'd be looking to improve that facet of the team, and Beason was the best fit for that that I could see the way this mock panned out.
If I'm not mistaken, their run defense improved dramatically in the 2nd half of the season.I don't have a link.

I agree with you for the most part, but Polian doesn't draft logically. Remember, this is the guy who took James over RW and Dallas Clark in the first round. He also has a love crush for runt DBs. God I hope he doesn't do that. Just when we think Polian is an idiot, he proves genius a couple years down the road for the picks he's made.

If I'm not mistaken, their run defense improved dramatically in the 2nd half of the season.I don't have a link.
In the playoffs for sure, but I still think they'd want an upgrade. Certianly a more pressing need than WR, and seeing as they don't have a 2nd round pick, it would be slim pickins looking for guys who can stop the run effectively around pick #100. Just my thinking.

I agree with you for the most part, but Polian doesn't draft logically. Remember, this is the guy who took James over RW and Dallas Clark in the first round. He also has a love crush for runt DBs. God I hope he doesn't do that. Just when we think Polian is an idiot, he proves genius a couple years down the road for the picks he's made.
Eric Wright of UNLV is a possibility.....

Chicks dig him because he rarely wears underwear, and when he does, it’s usually something exotic.
its nuggets like this are the reason i would never miss an EG mock (though nuggets in the context of a sentence about underwear is a disturbing image)...* try a zesty ranch PESTO... & a guy could die of thirst before getting a westmalle or rocheforte around this establishment** DAL picked up hamlin which may keep henry at CB, though some think hamlin isn't a lock to be an upgrade... with both DAL WRs approaching mid-30s (& TO being more combustible than an arsonist's tool kit) & this being a WR-rich draft (which i think you noted already), that could be an interesting intersection of BPA & team need at that juncture in the draft... not sure who LG is opposite leonard davis, but a mauler guard like grubbs would present close to 700 lbs of beef at guard, and help run game in physical NFC east...*** i think if a stud DL is there, that is the direction rams go... i think their preference is okoye, otherwise i'm not sure if they would prioritize a branch or anderson... anderson could definitely be the pick... i've seen him go as high as 1.6 or 1.7 in earlier mocks, & as bloom noted, hall may be interim solution (like glover & chavous last season)... maybe if willis is there they consider him, but i think next priority migh be a stud CB, if not DL... carriker might be another guy they would look at... though big enough to be favorite to assign to 3-4 teams as DE, he showed impressive speed & COD at combine drills, and could be a bigger justin smith as a 4-3 DE...i'd say order looks like...okoyeanderson, branch, carrikerCB

Users who are viewing this thread