What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (2 Viewers)

I've got Juno in my queue, but this sure looks like a dud. From the scenes I've seen, it looks like it's really trying hard to be clever. Anyone that's seen it have an opinion?
try the "Juno" thread? it's more than a few pages long...
Nah, too lazy :bs:
My short review in the Juno thread.
That doesn't sound too bad. Thanks :pickle:
It certainly has its flaws. I was kind of smitten with Ellen Page and I'm sure that helped. You're on to something with your "trying really hard to be clever" quote. If that kind of thing really bothers you, maybe you should steer clear.

Two for the Money Mediocre flick about the sports betting industry. McConauhey is annoying. Pacino is meh. Russo is deformed looking.

I went on a bit of a Wes Anderson run. I'd seen Rushmore and Life Aquatic previously and hadn't really thought they were all that great.

The Darjeeling Limited It had the short Hotel Chevalier included with it, so I watched it before the main feature. I really liked them both. The characters, situations, and things in the background were very interesting to watch. Had some decent laughs as well.

Bottle Rocket More of an unpolished look, as you would expect being the earliest work. Was surprised to see Owen Wilson as a co-writer. I don't think this one was as fun or funny as some of the other Anderson films, but I'm glad I saw it.

Rushmore Another one co-written by Owen Wilson. Loved Bill Murray in this one. Again, the characters, situations, and background are just so interesting to watch. I loved the months as acts motif, as well as the montage of all the clubs/activities that the main character had been involved in.

The Royal Tenenbaums More of the same, but better from the Anderson/Wilson combination. I'd rate this one my favorite of the the Anderson films. I watched it on an airplane with a portable DVD player and it was hard to stifle by laughter. In addition, I love the recurring actors through the Anderson catalogue, especially the small role guys.

All in all, I'm ready to buy the Wes Anderson collection for repeated home watching.

Excellent. I also have these ready on my hi-def DVR saved up:

Flags of our Fathers

Blades of Glory
Not a fan. :pickle:
Really? I liked Sands of Iwo Jima.
From the technical aspect, Sands was good. The story bothered me though. I understand that the "other guy" can get swept up by the winds of war too, but that movie essentially asked me to sympathize with a race of warriors unmatched in their brutality in modern times.The shorter answer was that I thought Eastwood's attempt at moral equivalency was :bs:
I dig. Just so I am clear, you have to personally like a group of soldieirs to like the movie? What's your opinion of mob movies? How about Gladiator.

I've got Juno in my queue, but this sure looks like a dud. From the scenes I've seen, it looks like it's really trying hard to be clever. Anyone that's seen it have an opinion?
Nah, too lazy :bs:
That doesn't sound too bad. Thanks :pickle:
It certainly has its flaws. I was kind of smitten with Ellen Page and I'm sure that helped. You're on to something with your "trying really hard to be clever" quote. If that kind of thing really bothers you, maybe you should steer clear.
She's great in Hard Candy if you haven't seen that.

Nah, too lazy :yes:
That doesn't sound too bad. Thanks :confused:
She really gives off a lesbian vibe to me, but I'd love to take a crack at it.

Excellent. I also have these ready on my hi-def DVR saved up:Flags of our FathersBlades of Glory
Not a fan. :confused:
Really? I liked Sands of Iwo Jima.
From the technical aspect, Sands was good. The story bothered me though. I understand that the "other guy" can get swept up by the winds of war too, but that movie essentially asked me to sympathize with a race of warriors unmatched in their brutality in modern times.The shorter answer was that I thought Eastwood's attempt at moral equivalency was :yes:
My problem with Sands was that it set up characters the audience is meant to empathize with (versus the rest of the "race of warriors unmatched in their brutality in modern times" types)... who were all very Western.

Finally watched "There Will be Blood" in its entirety last night. it was one of the best movies I have ever seen. I have seen many, many movies.

That doesn't sound too bad. Thanks :unsure:
Oh yeah, she's a permanent resident of the Isle of Lesbos.

Finally watched "There Will be Blood" in its entirety last night. it was one of the best movies I have ever seen. I have seen many, many movies.
:unsure: Wow. That's quite a statement!
It was flawless (IMO). I didn't think Day-Lewis could ever show the Butcher up, but he did. He is the man.
DDL was pretty amazing. I thought it was great, but I'm not positive I could stomach watching it again.

That doesn't sound too bad. Thanks :unsure:
Oh yeah, she's a permanent resident of the Isle of Lesbos.
Is this confirmed? I wasn't sure.

I dig. Just so I am clear, you have to personally like a group of soldieirs to like the movie?
No. Not when it's not making moral assertions, such as in Das Boot. But Sands is a horse of a different color entirely. Knowing what I know about the Japanese's actions in the Pacific during WWII, I'm not really interested in sympathizing with thier plight on Iwo Jima.
What's your opinion of mob movies?
If it doesn't glorify their illegal activities, I can find enjoyment in them. As a general rule, however, it's not my favorite genre. I think The Godfather is really overrated.
How about Gladiator.
You know I love movies about Gladiators. :lmao: Why include that one in the discussion, though?

I dig. Just so I am clear, you have to personally like a group of soldieirs to like the movie?
No. Not when it's not making moral assertions, such as in Das Boot. But Sands is a horse of a different color entirely. Knowing what I know about the Japanese's actions in the Pacific during WWII, I'm not really interested in sympathizing with thier plight on Iwo Jima.
What's your opinion of mob movies?
If it doesn't glorify their illegal activities, I can find enjoyment in them. As a general rule, however, it's not my favorite genre. I think The Godfather is really overrated.
How about Gladiator.
You know I love movies about Gladiators. :loco: Why include that one in the discussion, though?
Billy, have you ever seen a grown man naked? You need to hear Peter Graves talking about those lines. He was horrified to read them and at first refused to say them. The writers convinced him to say the lines, thank goodness.I mention Galdiator because I assume those armies were guilty of every atrocity in the book.

:loco: Wow. That's quite a statement!
It was flawless (IMO). I didn't think Day-Lewis could ever show the Butcher up, but he did. He is the man.
DDL was pretty amazing. I thought it was great, but I'm not positive I could stomach watching it again.
I watched the American Gangster, No Country, and There Will Be Blood dvd's in succession the past few days, and Day-Lewis's acting DOMINATED the trilogy.

Last edited by a moderator:
:loco: Wow. That's quite a statement!
I watched the American Gangster, No Country, and There Will Be Blood dvd's in succession the past few days, and Day-Lewis's acting DOMINATED the trilogy.
No Country is the best movie I've seen in a long, long time.

:football: Wow. That's quite a statement!
Kind of how I feel about TWBB. I did like No Country (and Amergang), just not as much. Daniel Plainview is one of the most fascinating characters I have ever seen.

:pickle: Wow. That's quite a statement!
:pickle:

Finally saw Babel yesterday. Hated it, hated it, hated it.Also, if you aren't watching the John Adams miniseries on HBO you're missing out on an excellent piece of work. Eps 1 & 2 re-airing tonight, I believe.
Agreed above. Thanks to the free HBO preview. Babel was awful. Watching the first 3 parts of 'John Adams' almost motivated me to get HBO for the next month.

I just got done watching Southland Tales. Wow. Where to begin? I think I need to watch it again, to get my full views of it in order, but I did read this review on Netflix that pretty much said spot on everything I was thinking after watching it the first time.

Nothing at all like Donny Darko, so don't expect anything along those lines (though there is a bit to do with time travel & the 4th dimension). The near future as imagined in Southland Tales has much in common with the equally absurd and exaggerated corporate-sponsored reality portrayed in 'Idiocracy', along with shades of David Lynchian surrealism, Philip K. ****'s scientific/metaphysical paranoia, biblical Armageddon, the mangled poetry of T.S. Elliot & Robert Frost, and prophetic annunciations in the form of Jane's Addiction lyrics. Oh, and it's got Buffy too. Given all that it should have been just the sort of movie I'd love... but it wasn't. Instead I found it sometimes clever though mostly pretty stupid. There were a number of laugh out loud moments and some clever nods to literature & poetry, song lyrics and pop culture that gave me a nice warm and fuzzy "inside joke" feeling for being pseudo-intellectually hip enough to have caught them. The film plays on a really dumb level, yet you'd have to be well-read and cultured to get a lot of the references (75% of which will go over most peoples heads). It crosses over into the ridiculous throughout, sometimes this works, mostly it doesn't. Good performances from the all-star cast and the movie looked really cool, making good use of Venice beach and downtown L.A. It was a fun movie, I can't say I didn't enjoy it, though I can't really recommend it either. Too many what-the-hell moments where I was wondering what had just happend or why the story went in such silly directions. Was it supposed be a comedy? Drama? Sci-fi? Scifidramedy? The subject matter and obvious influences this movie tried to integrate had me wishing it would have been more thought-provoking and less foolish... more mindbending and less camp... more Donny Darko and less Airplane. 2.5 stars- I'm rounding up for effort and because it's got Zelda Rubinstein (Tangina).
ETA - Except for that last part about Zelda Rubinstein. I'm rounding up because it had the lovely Rebekah Del Rio in it. :shock:

My Left Foot Amazing job by DDL. The cerebral palsy speech pattern with an Irish accent was unbelievable. The movie as a whole was pretty boring though.

My Left Foot Amazing job by DDL. The cerebral palsy speech pattern with an Irish accent was unbelievable. The movie as a whole was pretty boring though.
I agree. One of the most amazing performances I've ever seen that I'll never see again.Kudos on the Wes Anderson-a-thon. He's my favorite. :goodposting:

I agree. One of the most amazing performances I've ever seen that I'll never see again.Kudos on the Wes Anderson-a-thon. He's my favorite. :goodposting:
Gotta hit Life Aquatic again. You know...bat for the cycle.
That one improves with each viewing. His last two have been immediate disappointments with me, but Aquatic was better the second time. I haven't seen Darjeeling again yet.

I like the message of the I Am Legend alternate ending. But the execution of it changed the rules of the movie so much, I can see why they didn't use it.

I like the message of the I Am Legend alternate ending. But the execution of it changed the rules of the movie so much, I can see why they didn't use it.
I disagree. I just watched this last night. The scene where he first captures the female darkseeker and the alpha darkseeker comes into the light, makes it very clear that the alternate ending was what the filmmakers had planned all along. Will Smith's character automatically writes the behavior off as further deterioration or hunger, instead of seeing that maybe the darkseekers are starting to show signs of "normal" animal behaviour (protection of a mate). Anyway, I really enjoyed the movie. The scene where Smith goes after his dog is really well done. You can tell he is absolutely terrified. No gung ho macho man hero stuff here.

There are some flaws both major and minor that are disturbing.

Major:

The biggest one regarding how the woman and child get onto Manhattan is talked about a lot. The alternate ending makes it worse - showing them driving over a bridge to get off, even though it's been well established that all the bridges were destroyed. I don't know how they couldn't address that. Sloppy.

Why do the darkseekers posses superhuman strength? I would have liked to see them more like the 28 Days Later zombies, in that they ignore pain and are relentless but they can't leap 10 feet in the air or break through thick plexiglass with their foreheads.

Minor:

Smith has put a ton of work into defending his home. Steel shutters, external floodlights, massive explosives... Wouldn't his lab be more like a safe room and a much stronger final sanctuary?

Finally, I don't buy the dog lasting that long. With the high body temp of the darkseekers they would have been flea and mosquito magnets. Those bloodsuckers would have vectored the disease to the dog the first summer.

I disagree. I just watched this last night. The scene where he first captures the female darkseeker and the alpha darkseeker comes into the light, makes it very clear that the alternate ending was what the filmmakers had planned all along. Will Smith's character automatically writes the behavior off as further deterioration or hunger, instead of seeing that maybe the darkseekers are starting to show signs of "normal" animal behaviour (protection of a mate).
Good point. I think you made me like this ending even more.
Anyway, I really enjoyed the movie. The scene where Smith goes after his dog is really well done. You can tell he is absolutely terrified. No gung ho macho man hero stuff here.
Smith is really developing into a fine actor. He was really good in Persuit Of Happyness.
There are some flaws both major and minor that are disturbing.

Major:

The biggest one regarding how the woman and child get onto Manhattan is talked about a lot. The alternate ending makes it worse - showing them driving over a bridge to get off, even though it's been well established that all the bridges were destroyed. I don't know how they couldn't address that. Sloppy.
All the bridges were supposed to have been destroyed. Like Neville said, "nothing worked like it was supposed to." I would assume that includes that particular bridge.
Why do the darkseekers posses superhuman strength? I would have liked to see them more like the 28 Days Later zombies, in that they ignore pain and are relentless but they can't leap 10 feet in the air or break through thick plexiglass with their foreheads.
Yeah. There's lots of "why does it work that way?" moments in the movie.
Minor:

Smith has put a ton of work into defending his home. Steel shutters, external floodlights, massive explosives... Wouldn't his lab be more like a safe room and a much stronger final sanctuary?
He probably figured that the external defenses were enough and that lab defenses would have been redundant. :shrug:
Finally, I don't buy the dog lasting that long. With the high body temp of the darkseekers they would have been flea and mosquito magnets. Those bloodsuckers would have vectored the disease to the dog the first summer.
Well, the doctor at the beginning said that the cure was a genetic mutation of measles. Perhaps that has something to do with it.

Dan in Real Life- I liked it a lot. It was a feel good movie and very entertaining. It's a chick flick that I think a lot of guys will like. Great date movie.

Atonement- Horrible. I hated the two younger girls characters so much that I couldn't stand watching them. The story line was ok, until you find out at the end that half of it was a lie. Stupid.

Boondock Saints- Man, talk about the need to suspend reality when watching a movie. It was ok. A good action flick, but a bit too outlandish for me. And why the hell did they have to show the scene with Lloyd from Entourage?

That one improves with each viewing. His last two have been immediate disappointments with me, but Aquatic was better the second time. I haven't seen Darjeeling again yet.
the thing that strikes me about "life aquatic" upon each viewing is how loose it feels. part of that is bill murray, i know, but still. i got the sense that everyone was really enjoying themselves making the film. for a director/writer who tells storys about these little moments, little things in the lives of his characters to have a film feel so relaxed makes it a real charmer.

the thing that strikes me about "life aquatic" upon each viewing is how loose it feels. part of that is bill murray, i know, but still. i got the sense that everyone was really enjoying themselves making the film. for a director/writer who tells storys about these little moments, little things in the lives of his characters to have a film feel so relaxed makes it a real charmer.
Yeah, I agree. Initially, I found the film meandering and disorganized, with isn't Andersony at all. The second time I saw it, I relaxed and let it all wash over me and I enjoyed it more.

Yeah, I agree. Initially, I found the film meandering and disorganized, with isn't Andersony at all. The second time I saw it, I relaxed and let it all wash over me and I enjoyed it more.
if you reversed that, that would be my description of "bottle rocket". it does not hold up well for me.

if you reversed that, that would be my description of "bottle rocket". it does not hold up well for me.
See, I find Bottle Rocket pretty charming. Our first look at a young filmmaker with a quirky sense of humor and cool visual style.

Tonight I watched The Mist

Horrible ####in' movie. :goodposting:

Effects were bad, acting/dialog was bad, premise was pretty stupid, blah, blah... Seemed like it was trying really hard to examine the psych. effects of a group being trapped like that, fell short, and paired that with a very cheesy monster/sci-fi movie. About the only thing I liked about the movie was the ending.

Horrible ####in' movie. :mellow:

Effects were bad, acting/dialog was bad, premise was pretty stupid, blah, blah... Seemed like it was trying really hard to examine the psych. effects of a group being trapped like that, fell short, and paired that with a very cheesy monster/sci-fi movie. About the only thing I liked about the movie was the ending.
I liked it. :lmao:

Horrible ####in' movie. :mellow:

I heard it was pretty good.

Horrible ####in' movie. :wolf:

I liked it. :shrug:
:mellow:

I realize I have 0 patience for bad CGI (hence my hatred for I Am Legend), but at least for IAL I could get into the story of the movie. This movie I thought was bad all around. Is it a thriller, a B monster movie, a sci-fi, a human drama? I think it tried to be all of them and failed.

Horrible ####in' movie. :wolf:

I liked it. :shrug:
:mellow: I realize I have 0 patience for bad CGI (hence my hatred for I Am Legend), but at least for IAL I could get into the story of the movie. This movie I thought was bad all around. Is it a thriller, a B monster movie, a sci-fi, a human drama? I think it tried to be all of them and failed.
It's a quirky movie based on a quirky story from a quirky writer.All of Stephen King's stuff is a bit :loco: and over the top. Why should movies based on his works be any different.

I loved the ending.

Horrible ####in' movie. :lmao:

:hifive: I realize I have 0 patience for bad CGI (hence my hatred for I Am Legend), but at least for IAL I could get into the story of the movie. This movie I thought was bad all around. Is it a thriller, a B monster movie, a sci-fi, a human drama? I think it tried to be all of them and failed.
It's a quirky movie based on a quirky story from a quirky writer.All of Stephen King's stuff is a bit :loco: and over the top. Why should movies based on his works be any different.

I loved the ending.
Good point- I don't remember the last time I actually liked an adaptation of a SK book/story (thriller/horror-wise). For being one of the best, his stuff isn't that scary or it doesn't translate to the screen well. As I said, the ending is one of the few things that I liked about the movie.

The Bank Job

New movie, for a change. Very entertaining 70s style British gangster movie. A lot of good stuff here, with some lovely ladies thrown in. Big thumbs up.

Watched a couple last night from the video store, as I missed getting my Netflix ones back in the mail.

Ladron que Roba a Ladron (To Rob a Thief) - This was ok. I had seen a trailer for it a while back, on some other foreign movie that I watched, and it looked really good. Unfortunately, the only part that made me laugh was already shown in the trailer. Wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. (3/5)

Trip Out - Man, was this movie GODAWFULLLLLLLLLLLLL. Bad acting. Hateable characters. Bad drug references. Just horrible. (1/5)

Users who are viewing this thread