What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Hines Ward - 1st ballot Hall of Famer? (1 Viewer)

1st ballot Hall of Famer?

• Yes

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • No, but he eventually gets in

Votes: 37 25.0%
  • Sorry, please sit over there with Art Monk

Votes: 97 65.5%

• Total voters
For the last 5 years, he's averaged 90-1,095-8 - if he plays to 35 at that level, he would be at 1,114-13,600-100 (each of whch would likely be top-10 all-time.)
Certainly 1100 receptions and 13600 receiving yards will not be in the top 10 in five years; they probably won't be in the top 15. 100 TDs might be good for #9 all time. Ward just isn't distinguished compared to his contemporaries.
1114 receptions would rank #2 all-time right now, and 13,600 yards would be #6. You really think 9-14 receivers will eclipse 1,100 receptions and 5-10 receivers will surpass 13,600 yards in the next 5 years? There are only 7 active receivers with 10,000 yards and of those, 3 of them (McCardell, Rod Smith, and Jimmy Smith) are too old to likely get near 14,000. Likewise, there are only 7 active receivers with 700 catches and 4 of them (the 3 mentioned earlier and Isaac Bruce) are likely never going to hit 1,000 let alone 1,100.As to your last sentence, statistically, he's probably the #5 receiver of this generation when all is said and done. In terms of blocking, leadership, team play, and character, he's #1. And those latter qualities matter a great deal when it comes to HOF voting. He CAN get in, if he plays at this level until he's 35 or so.
Jimmy Smith already has 12,287 yards; if he plays two more years he will pass 13,600. Rod Smith is also likely to get there; both those players put up 1000 yards this year. McCardell, probably not. Then you've got Harrison, Bruce, TO, Moss, Keyshawn, Holt, Moulds, Muhammad, Galloway, Glenn, Kennison, Mason, Toomer, all ahead of Ward right now, and most of those are at least as likely to hit 13,600 as Ward is.

As to your last sentence, statistically, he's probably the #5 receiver of this generation when all is said and done.
Not right now he isn't. Right now, he would be behind Harrison, Moss, Owens, Rod Smith, Holt, Bruce, Rod Smith and Jimmy Smith. He might pass some of those guys EVENTUALLY, but if the NFL ceased to exist tomorrow, he would rank below all of those guys. You can say your "when all is said and done" comment means what you are speculating his numbers will be when his career is over, but none of us have any way of knowing how his career will go from this point forward. Considering his numbers have dropped the past two years despite better quarterback play, it could be argued that he is already on somewhat of a downslide.

Considering his numbers have dropped the past two years despite better quarterback play, it could be argued that he is already on somewhat of a downslide.
Better QB play doesn't necessarily equal higher receiving numbers. The last two years, Pitt has been 32nd in pass attempts. In 2002 and 2003, Ward's two best years, they were 16th and 10th in pass attempts.

Considering his numbers have dropped the past two years despite better quarterback play, it could be argued that he is already on somewhat of a downslide.
Better QB play doesn't necessarily equal higher receiving numbers. The last two years, Pitt has been 32nd in pass attempts. In 2002 and 2003, Ward's two best years, they were 16th and 10th in pass attempts.
Precisely. We have no way of knowing how that's all going to shake out as early as next year. Bettis is done and if Staley is cut, we may see a lot more passing from Pittsburgh next season than the last 2.My comment regards reflecting on the careers of these guys as a whole, as is done when evaluating HOF candidacy. Obviously, Ward could get hit by a bus tomorrow and never play again, but this is all speculative anyway because the guy is still active. What I was saying is that if asked to rattle off the top 5 receivers in football over the span of the past few years, most would say Owens, Moss, Holt, Harrison, and Ward, in some order.

What I was saying is that if asked to rattle off the top 5 receivers in football over the span of the past few years, most would say Owens, Moss, Holt, Harrison, and Ward, in some order.
Depends on your definition of few. If few = 3 or less, that hurts Ward because it doesn't include his best season, plus others like Steve Smith and Chad Johnson get strong consideration. I think it is a stretch to say he is in the top 5 over the past 3 years or less.If few = 4+ years, then your "in some order" equates to Ward being #5 at best, because the other 4 you named have all been better.Now maybe this isn't true if YOU ask people, since you probably tend to hang out with a bunch of Steeler fans. :P

What I was saying is that if asked to rattle off the top 5 receivers in football over the span of the past few years, most would say Owens, Moss, Holt, Harrison, and Ward, in some order.
Depends on your definition of few. If few = 3 or less, that hurts Ward because it doesn't include his best season, plus others like Steve Smith and Chad Johnson get strong consideration. I think it is a stretch to say he is in the top 5 over the past 3 years or less.
Just going off ff position rankings, here are the average rankings per year the last three years.Chad Johnson: 5.3

Marvin Harrison: 6.0

Randy Moss: 11.7

Hines Ward: 14.7

Santana Moss: 14.7

Chris Chambers: 14.7

Terrell Owens: 16.0 (with suspension)

Derrick Mason: 16.0

Reggie Wayne: 16.3

Rod Smith: 18.7

Anquan Boldin: 24.0 (with an injury)

Steve Smith: 52.7 (19.3 if you take out his injury year and add 2002)

Am I missing someone obvious?

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on your definition of few. If few = 3 or less, that hurts Ward because it doesn't include his best season, plus others like Steve Smith and Chad Johnson get strong consideration. I think it is a stretch to say he is in the top 5 over the past 3 years or less.If few = 4+ years, then your "in some order" equates to Ward being #5 at best, because the other 4 you named have all been better.

Now maybe this isn't true if YOU ask people, since you probably tend to hang out with a bunch of Steeler fans. :P
:lmao: When I said few, I was probably imagining since 2000 or so. Steve Smith and CJ are beginning to state a case as well, but when I say "best receiver", I am looking at the whole package, not just stats. Owens is a more gifted receiver than Ward, but is he more valuable? Certainly not this year he hasn't been. Is Torry Holt more valuable than Ward? That's debatable too.

It's the Hall of fame, and unlike baseball, the voters seem to tend to dig a bit deeper and look at the players career as a whole, not just the numbers (otherwise Monk would be in already.) I think when they look at a combination of receptions, yards, TDs, YAC, leadership, value to your team, blocking, route-running, hands, clutch play, etc.. etc.., in other words, the total package, Ward will come off as one of the best 5 receivers of this generation.

And those are just based on fantasy receiving stats. When you add in things like blocking, leadership, and clutch performances, which are what people think puts Ward over other receivers, I don't see why it's crazy to say he's top five the last three years.

I think you guys are discounting the fact that Ward is like a quadruple threat:

- receiver

- runner (end arounds)

- blocker => perhaps the best ever at his position and a reason the Steeler running game has been great (is this discounted???)

- gadget plays (former QB)

Super Bowl MVP, personality, statistics = 1st ballot
This schtick is stolen.I ™ed it last year.

Depends on your definition of few. If few = 3 or less, that hurts Ward because it doesn't include his best season, plus others like Steve Smith and Chad Johnson get strong consideration. I think it is a stretch to say he is in the top 5 over the past 3 years or less.
Just going off ff position rankings, here are the average rankings per year the last three years.Chad Johnson: 5.3

Torry Holt is pretty obvious.EDIT: Holt leads your list at 5.0.

Also, I find it hard to think of someone as a top 5 WR over 3 years when not once within that period was he actually top 5 (6, 28, 10 in past 3 seasons). It is true, but it's not the kind of truth that gets one into the HOF. It is the type of truth that people latch onto to try to justify a weak case.

I mean it ties him at 5th best over this span with Chris Chambers & Santana Moss. Nobody would give either of them a prayer of making the HOF. They don't the have the same other qualifications as Ward, but it is an illustration of the quality of his numbers. The gap to be made up from the numbers is simply too large.

Given how strong WRs are as a group in this era, no WR should make the HOF without having been All Pro caliber. The only possible exception I can see is someone with extraordinary career numbers, like Tim Brown. Ward has not been an All Pro even once. If his leadership, blocking, clutch play, etc. cannot help him secure an All Pro selection, they aren't going to help him into the HOF either, unless he gets very close (e.g., top 10 in multiple categories) on the career numbers.

Don't underestimate the fact that by the time he retires, he will hold every receiving record for one of professional sports' most storied franchises. I'm not saying that SHOULD be an influence on the voters, but I have no doubt that it will be. Just something to think about.

Don't underestimate the fact that by the time he retires, he will hold every receiving record for one of professional sports' most storied franchises. I'm not saying that SHOULD be an influence on the voters, but I have no doubt that it will be. Just something to think about.
Holding team records for a storied franchise hasn't helped Micahel Irvin any, and in many ways I think Irvin's career (at least on the field) was pretty similar in some ways to Wards.Irvin ended up with just under 12,000 reciving yards and was a 5-time Pro Bowler (in addition to his 3 Super Rings).

In his 5-year peak from 91-95, Irvin ranked 2nd, 3rd, 4th,11th, and 7th fantasy wise. In that time he ranked 3rd in receptions, 2nd in receiving yards, 6th in receiving TD, and 2nd in fantasy points scored.

Rice was #1 of course with 1183.5 fantasy points scored Irvin was a distant second at 937. But Andre Rison was a distant third at 805.70.

At this stage, I don't see how Ward's performance trumps Irvin's, and Michael hasn't made it in in his first two tries. Maybe his off-field issues have played a role in it, but I don't see Ward (for now) being able to stake a claim that he has done more so far in his career than Irvin did.

Don't underestimate the fact that by the time he retires, he will hold every receiving record for one of professional sports' most storied franchises.  I'm not saying that SHOULD be an influence on the voters, but I have no doubt that it will be.  Just something to think about.
Holding team records for a storied franchise hasn't helped Micahel Irvin any, and in many ways I think Irvin's career (at least on the field) was pretty similar in some ways to Wards.Irvin ended up with just under 12,000 reciving yards and was a 5-time Pro Bowler (in addition to his 3 Super Rings).

In his 5-year peak from 91-95, Irvin ranked 2nd, 3rd, 4th,11th, and 7th fantasy wise. In that time he ranked 3rd in receptions, 2nd in receiving yards, 6th in receiving TD, and 2nd in fantasy points scored.

Rice was #1 of course with 1183.5 fantasy points scored Irvin was a distant second at 937. But Andre Rison was a distant third at 805.70.

At this stage, I don't see how Ward's performance trumps Irvin's, and Michael hasn't made it in in his first two tries. Maybe his off-field issues have played a role in it, but I don't see Ward (for now) being able to stake a claim that he has done more so far in his career than Irvin did.
I suspect Irvin will ultimately make it. I think a better comparison would be Art Monk.Not only did Monk hold all of the Redskins' records when he retired, he held the NFL records. Hasn't helped him get in, and his chance of ultimately being inducted is questionable. He has missed 5 times so far, and if he doesn't get in within the next 3 years, he's going to face a lot of serious competition (see the recent HOF schedule thread) that may ultimately keep him out.

I suspect Irvin will ultimately make it. I think a better comparison would be Art Monk.Not only did Monk hold all of the Redskins' records when he retired, he held the NFL records. Hasn't helped him get in, and his chance of ultimately being inducted is questionable. He has missed 5 times so far, and if he doesn't get in within the next 3 years, he's going to face a lot of serious competition (see the recent HOF schedule thread) that may ultimately keep him out.
I think Ward is on his way to being better than Monk, HOF candidacy wise.Monk's top 5 seasons fantasy ranking wise were 6, 10, 11, 13, and 17 in a 16 year career. Ward's top 5 fantasy rankings have been 3, 6, 10, 28, 29 in essentially ONLY 5 seasons as a starter (8 years overall). If we duplicate Ward's last 5 seasons, added that to his current toals, and said he retired after that, he'd wind up with 1024 receptions, 12604 receiving yards, and 93 TD.I'm not sure that would be enough to get him in, but it would get him some supporters.As we've mentioned numeous times, we'll have to see what Ward does in another 5, 6, 7, or 8 years time before we can have a better picture.

Torry Holt is pretty obvious.EDIT: Holt leads your list at 5.0.
:bag: Anyways, statements keep being made that Ward, while being a good blocker, leader, teammate, and clutch performer, does not have the receiving numbers to match his peers. And, time and time again, it is shown that he does have good numbers compared to his peers. Yudkin showed how Ward compared over the last five years in receptions, yards, TDs, and fantasy points, and it was very good. Ward shows up in the top five in three of those four categories (8th in the fourth category). Both Moss and TO each show up in the top five in three of the four categories. Only Harrison and Holt show up in the top 5 of all four categories. I've shown that not even the great Steve Smith has a better receiving resume to date and that Ward has a high average WR ranking the last few years.

We keep slicing the data in different ways and keep finding Ward hovering around #5 in receiving stats.

A lot of things can happen from here on out, but I see no evidence that Ward matches up poorly in receiving stats with his peers.

I wonder if the HOF voters use fantasy rankings as a measure of HOF worthiness?

Ward brings a lot more to the table than just numbers, and lucky for him, the voters will eventually factor that into their decisions... He's viewed by football people and his peers as one of the best WRs in the league, and he has been for a while now.

Ward brings a lot more to the table than just numbers, and lucky for him, the voters will eventually factor that into their decisions... He's viewed by football people and his peers as one of the best WRs in the league, and he has been for a while now.
I highly doubt anyone other than fantasy footballers use fantasy rankings for much of anything. It's simple a metric to evaluate players in a more universal scoring system.However, I do think that voters do compare players and numbers, both in terms of career totals and peak years.

Obviously, there is a lot more to football than stats, and many times the "fame" element trumps the "statistical production" element. For example, we've already discussed Lynn Swann, but players like Joe Namath, John Riggins, and Larry Csonka never had the greatest stats but did have some great achievements.

However, part of me wants to think that the forklore side of voting has slipped away over time, and I can't recall recent inductees that did the litmus test for dominant performances, career numbers, and overall value to the game. I can't remember the last guy that slipped in under the radar that wasn't a clear choice, which is a bit why we keep pointing at players that DID NOT get in (yet) over the handful of guys that got in with some eyebrows raised.

Bottom line for me, though, is that there will always be more potnential candidates than spaces in the HOF. Each season, there seems to be more and more players that people point to as on their way to Canton, and the truth be told half of them won't make it.

As mentioned in many threads, the list of current or recent guys to consider at WR includes Rice, Brown, Owens, Moss, Harrison, Holt, Bruce, JSmith, RSmith, and now people pushing for Ward. Last I checked, there weren't even 20 WR inducted from the past 50 years of football . . . and now we potentially would add 10 that were all active together? I think that would be unlikely.

Ward = wait and see and get back to us when he retires.

Don't underestimate the fact that by the time he retires, he will hold every receiving record for one of professional sports' most storied franchises.  I'm not saying that SHOULD be an influence on the voters, but I have no doubt that it will be.  Just something to think about.

I think the fact that Irvin was in the top 6 vote getters last year and wasn't close this year speaks volumes to the fact that his off-field issues have quite a bit to do with it.Clearly, Ward is not in Irvin's league right now in terms of career performance, but I am certianly not maintaining that Ward would make the Hall were he to retire today. However, I think if he plays 5-6 more years and gets to the milestones I referenced earlier, that the "intangibles" will probably push him over the top.

I think if he plays 5-6 more years and gets to the milestones I referenced earlier, that the "intangibles" will probably push him over the top.
I don't think this point has been mentioned yet. ;)

I think if he plays 5-6 more years and gets to the milestones I referenced earlier, that the "intangibles" will probably push him over the top.
I don't think this point has been mentioned yet. ;)
I hear you - I feel stupid repeating it all the time, but some of the responses to my posts sound as if people are thinking I'm advocating him as a candidate based on his current stats. Just want to make sure people know that so they don't dismiss my viewpoint as blind homerism - it isn't.

I'm not sure how much weight - if any - this will carry when the time comes for the Hall voters to consider Ward, but he just may end discrimination in South Korea. Again, the verdict is still out, but Ward could make life a lot easier for thousands of Amerasians.

What can't Hines Ward do?

As I did last week with RB, I ran the numbers for TOP 5 SEASONS for WR. Basically, I used a data set of WR with 5,000+ receiving yards (164 players) and ineach category only used the results from their Top 5 seasons in each season. So it could have been 1985, 1987, 1991, 1993, and 119 in receptions but 1984, 1988, 1990, 1991, and 1996 for TD. Remember, this is on a BEST 5 YEARS platform . . .

After compiling the numbers for all those receivers, here is how Ward ranked . . .

13th in receptions (450 vs Harrison 563)

43rd in receiving yards (5474 vs Rice 7922)

T-33rd in receiving TD (44 vs Rice 84))

37th in fantasy points (811.4 vs Rice 1296.2)

57th in fantasy value (233 vs Rice 831)

That pretty much collaborates what some of us have been saying all along--that Ward up until now has been solid but not dominant STATISTICALLY. He may have other redeeming qualities before pure statistics, and certainly he is far from done . . .

Does someone have a link to that article last year where Hines Ward was considered by NFL players as one of the dirtiest players in the NFL? Wouldn't that be an intangible that would work AGAINST Ward?

Does someone have a link to that article last year where Hines Ward was considered by NFL players as one of the dirtiest players in the NFL? Wouldn't that be an intangible that would work AGAINST Ward?
Doubtful. He's one of the most respected players in the league amongst his peers. As Collinsworth and Carter said last night on Inside.... every receiver cheats on almost every play, it's only really cheating if you get caught.

Then why hasn't he been selected as All Pro?

Anyways, statements keep being made that Ward, while being a good blocker, leader, teammate, and clutch performer, does not have the receiving numbers to match his peers. And, time and time again, it is shown that he does have good numbers compared to his peers. Yudkin showed how Ward compared over the last five years in receptions, yards, TDs, and fantasy points, and it was very good. Ward shows up in the top five in three of those four categories (8th in the fourth category). Both Moss and TO each show up in the top five in three of the four categories. Only Harrison and Holt show up in the top 5 of all four categories. I've shown that not even the great Steve Smith has a better receiving resume to date and that Ward has a high average WR ranking the last few years.We keep slicing the data in different ways and keep finding Ward hovering around #5 in receiving stats.A lot of things can happen from here on out, but I see no evidence that Ward matches up poorly in receiving stats with his peers.
I guess the disagreement we are having centers around the fact that 5th best isn't good enough for the HOF.Can anyone name a WR in the HOF who was 5th best in his own era statistically? (I don't know the answer.)

Ward's will eventually own Steeler receiver records, and with the Steelers poised to win several Super Bowls over the next few years, parity in rings (with Swann/Stallworth) will come as well.

Ward is a ferocious blocker and a personable guy. Always smiling, whether he's been hammered with a vicious hit, or delivering one himself.

1st ballot = :thumbup:
unfortunately for Hines Ward the Steelers already used there "Two Wide Receivers Get into the HOF For Free" cards with Swann and Stallworth.so he will have to wait.

Doubtful. He's one of the most respected players in the league amongst his peers.
And also considered one of the dirtiest players in the league by his peers.

Does someone have a link to that article last year where Hines Ward was considered by NFL players as one of the dirtiest players in the NFL?  Wouldn't that be an intangible that would work AGAINST Ward?
Doubtful. He's one of the most respected players in the league amongst his peers.
And also considered one of the dirtiest players in the league by his peers.
So was Mean Joe Greene and you can find his bust in Canton.

Anyways, statements keep being made that Ward, while being a good blocker, leader, teammate, and clutch performer, does not have the receiving numbers to match his peers. And, time and time again, it is shown that he does have good numbers compared to his peers. Yudkin showed how Ward compared over the last five years in receptions, yards, TDs, and fantasy points, and it was very good. Ward shows up in the top five in three of those four categories (8th in the fourth category). Both Moss and TO each show up in the top five in three of the four categories. Only Harrison and Holt show up in the top 5 of all four categories. I've shown that not even the great Steve Smith has a better receiving resume to date and that Ward has a high average WR ranking the last few years.

We keep slicing the data in different ways and keep finding Ward hovering around #5 in receiving stats.

A lot of things can happen from here on out, but I see no evidence that Ward matches up poorly in receiving stats with his peers.
I guess the disagreement we are having centers around the fact that 5th best isn't good enough for the HOF.
A) I'm not really in the Ward-for-HOF camp. I just found his numbers to be a bit surprising. Like I said, everytime someone made a claim about Ward's numbers not being very impressive, the data didn't always back it up.B) Ward supporters will cite his good, but not great, stats and then add the "intagibles" and his postseason performance to make their case. I just think it is a more interesting case than most people give it credit for.

Can anyone name a WR in the HOF who was 5th best in his own era statistically? (I don't know the answer.)
Here's how I'd do the groupings, or eras, of the current HOF WRs:Fears 48-56

Hirsch 46-56

Lavelli 46-56

Pihos 47-55

Berry 55-67

Maynard 58-73

McDonald 57-68

Mitchell 58-68

Alworth 62-72

Biletnikoff 65-78

Taylor 64-77

Warfield 64-77

Joiner 69-86

Swann 74-82

Stallworth 74-87

Largent 76-89

Lofton 78-93

His career is running parallel to guys in Moss, Owens, Harrison, and to a lesser degree, Holt, who are rewriting the record books (save for Jerry Rice's astronomical totals) each year. It's not out of the question at all to imagine if Owens rights the ship and Harrison and Moss stay healthy, those 3 guys could end up #2-3-4 in some order on the reception, yards, and TDs chart. Theoretically, Ward could end up #5 on the all-time list in all 3 categories and only be the 4th best receiver of his era, statistically. You can't penalize Ward for that. If anything, I think it wont be that he'll be left out, but rather that HOF voters will induct more receivers. Just my opinion.

I suspect Irvin will ultimately make it.  I think a better comparison would be Art Monk.

Not only did Monk hold all of the Redskins' records when he retired, he held the NFL records.  Hasn't helped him get in, and his chance of ultimately being inducted is questionable.  He has missed 5 times so far, and if he doesn't get in within the next 3 years, he's going to face a lot of serious competition (see the recent HOF schedule thread) that may ultimately keep him out.
I think Ward is on his way to being better than Monk, HOF candidacy wise.Monk's top 5 seasons fantasy ranking wise were 6, 10, 11, 13, and 17 in a 16 year career.

Ward's top 5 fantasy rankings have been 3, 6, 10, 28, 29 in essentially ONLY 5 seasons as a starter (8 years overall).

If we duplicate Ward's last 5 seasons, added that to his current toals, and said he retired after that, he'd wind up with 1024 receptions, 12604 receiving yards, and 93 TD.

I'm not sure that would be enough to get him in, but it would get him some supporters.

As we've mentioned numeous times, we'll have to see what Ward does in another 5, 6, 7, or 8 years time before we can have a better picture.
David, I understand all this. I was responding to Evilgrin's post that the fact that Ward will be the record holder for many Steeler franchise records will carry a lot of weight. I simply wanted to show that being an NFL record holder doesn't guarantee anything, so why would being the Steeler franchise record holder be of special importance?

His career is running parallel to guys in Moss, Owens, Harrison, and to a lesser degree, Holt, who are rewriting the record books (save for Jerry Rice's astronomical totals) each year. It's not out of the question at all to imagine if Owens rights the ship and Harrison and Moss stay healthy, those 3 guys could end up #2-3-4 in some order on the reception, yards, and TDs chart. Theoretically, Ward could end up #5 on the all-time list in all 3 categories and only be the 4th best receiver of his era, statistically. You can't penalize Ward for that. If anything, I think it wont be that he'll be left out, but rather that HOF voters will induct more receivers. Just my opinion.
This is probably what I keep fighting against. I agree that if Ward finishes #5 on the all time list in multiple categories, he will be a great candidate for the HOF. But he won't. That is my stance. And given that he won't end up with lofty ranks, while some of his peers will, he won't make the HOF.I said the same thing to everyone in the Rod Smith, Jimmy Smith, Isaac Bruce, etc. threads, when they said, "but if he just performs at such and such level for this many more years he'll end up ranked..."

He'll get in on the first ballot if they can find a way to involve the refs from the game on Sunday. ;)
Are you attempting to live up to your sig? It's the only explanation.
Humor down?
Even the best joke becomes unfunny when repeated 400 times in the span of about 48 hours.
No, this was the first one regarding the refs helping Ward into the HOF. He will need all the help he can get just as the Steelers did on Sunday. ;)

Hines Ward is a very good player, but he would have to do considerably more with what's left in his career than what he has accomplished thus far. I can't think of anytime in my life that I thought he was even a top seven wr. Good player - yes, HOF - no!

Who are you guys going to nominate next; Heath Miller?

He's not a first ballot Hall of Famer due to the fixation on statistics. The numbers are a worthwhile gauge in most instances. I just don't think they are for determining Hines Ward's worthiness.

There are clearly subjective factors involved with the selection of a Hall of Fame player--in any sport. In baseball, Pete Rose is a Hall of Famer when it comes to the numbers but others feel Rose's actions as a manager and subsequent denial detracted from the integrity of the game and outweighed what he did as a player.

How subjective is this? You can't empirically compare the two. You can feel a whole lot of different ways about the issue and come up with an entire range of conclusions if you placed 10 people in a room and brought up the subject of Pete Rose. Hines Ward in terms of on field hustle and effort is football's smiling version of Pete Rose before Rose messed up his career.

Ward is one of the best blocking WRs in the game. Considering he plays for a team that emphasizes the run, this skill should be taken into greater consideration when discussing Ward's HOF prospects. One should also consider that Ward has shown he can be a 90-100 reception receiver capable of stretching the field or going across the middle in a pass-first offense. It's just the Steelers were more comfortable as a run-oriented team.

I can't prove it, but I'm sure most people that watch the Steelers can attest that Ward makes a high percentage of key, game-changing/lead sustaining plays in a ton of games. I bet if someone defined a game changing play as a key first down, key block, tackle, special teams play, catch and run, run, pass, or receiving TD, Ward would have as high of a percentage as any WR in the game.

I think HOF voters will recognize this about Hines Ward's career, and justly reward him for his work. I can't think of too many receivers--or better yet--football players I'd rather have on my team than Ward.

There are a lot of older era players that IMO deserved their HOF entrance although the NFL or media didn't track stats like sacks during their time. But if you watched the player in action, you observe enough game altering plays to understand that sometimes you don't need to bean count when you just have to use your eyes and a bit of common sense.

He'll get in on the first ballot if they can find a way to involve the refs from the game on Sunday. ;)
Are you attempting to live up to your sig? It's the only explanation.
Humor down?
Even the best joke becomes unfunny when repeated 400 times in the span of about 48 hours.
No, this was the first one regarding the refs helping Ward into the HOF. He will need all the help he can get just as the Steelers did on Sunday. ;)
:D To clarify again, I think Ward is likley less than 50/50 to get into the Hall, and 0% right now. The only point I'm making is that because of the type of player he is, he has a better chance than most WRs to continue to post strong numbers later in his career. That, I believe, will leave him with very strong career stats, and along with his reputation, may be enough. That's it.

This is probably what I keep fighting against. I agree that if Ward finishes #5 on the all time list in multiple categories, he will be a great candidate for the HOF. But he won't. That is my stance. And given that he won't end up with lofty ranks, while some of his peers will, he won't make the HOF.I said the same thing to everyone in the Rod Smith, Jimmy Smith, Isaac Bruce, etc. threads, when they said, "but if he just performs at such and such level for this many more years he'll end up ranked..."
I understand you can do that with anyone, but the guys you named are in their mid 30s, while Ward is 29. Also, Ward's game is less predicated on speed and shiftiness, and more on solid route-running and sure hands, so I think his best skills will erode less slowly, a la Jerry Rice. Guys like Owens and Moss, whose success is based largely on athletic superiority, will not likley be able to maintain their success as easily. That's been the basis of all my statements here.

There are a lot of older era players that IMO deserved their HOF entrance although the NFL or media didn't track stats like sacks during their time. But if you watched the player in action, you observe enough game altering plays to understand that sometimes you don't need to bean count when you just have to use your eyes and a bit of common sense.
:goodposting: :oldschool:

He has a better chance than most WRs to continue to post strong numbers later in his career.
Define what "strong numbers" means? In recent years, there have been a handful of WR getting 1300-1500 yard seasons and in the neighborhood of 15 TD receptions. If Ward were to kick in many more seasons with 1000/8, I'm not sure that I would call that "strong," but maybe "solid."In further reflection on this, I think Ward's career may be similar to Rod Smith's.

He has a better chance than most WRs to continue to post strong numbers later in his career.
Define what "strong numbers" means? In recent years, there have been a handful of WR getting 1300-1500 yard seasons and in the neighborhood of 15 TD receptions. If Ward were to kick in many more seasons with 1000/8, I'm not sure that I would call that "strong," but maybe "solid."In further reflection on this, I think Ward's career may be similar to Rod Smith's.
By strong, I mean maintaining the #s he's put up so far in his career to this point. If he maintains the average stats he's posted since becoming a starter and plays to age 35, he'll have the benchmark numbers I mentioned earlier (1,100 rec - 13,600 yds - 100 TDs) which should be enough to get him in. My point since post #1 in this thread is: since his average season stats are not nearly as hard to maintain as Owens', or Moss', and because he has achieved those stats primarily through skills which are much less likely to erode with time than raw speed, he has a much better chance than most receivers to continue to post those #s later in his career. Agree or disagree?

I agree that his career may be similar to Rod Smith's, but he'll easily surpass all Smith's #s. Rod didn't become a full-time starter until he was 27, which kills him in career stats. Add to this that he's only been selected to 3 Pro Bowls in 11 years (9 seasons as a full-time starter), and Ward has made 4 Pro Bowls in 7 seasons (5 as a starter,) and add the Super Bowl MVP, and I'm sure Ward will be a better candidate at 35 than Rod Smith is now (barring injury/retirement)

Getting back to the Rod Smith and Hines Ward comparison, I looked at 3-year intervals (any 3 consecutive years) for both players and used fantasy points as the common denomenator for all WR. (Obviously fantasy production has no direct bearing on HOF consideration, but it at least shows one method for a unified comparison).

In any three-year stretch, Rod Smith's highest ranking vs all other receivers was 4th. He also had two other times when he ranked 5th. Ward peaked at #5 and IIRC had another interval at #6.

If the HOF rewards those that are at or very near the top production wise at your particular position, then these two are in trouble.

(We've already seen that the HOF voters give free passes to Steelers receivers, so that may occur again with Ward down the road.)

Interesting to go back through this thread. Since it was started, Ward has played 2+ seasons:

2006: 74/975/6 receiving, 2/30/0 receiving

2007: 71/732/7 receiving, 3/11/0 receiving

This year, he has 28/376/5 receiving in 6 games, on pace for 75/1003/13 if he can play all 16 games, which he hasn't done since 2004... and his TDs will likely fall off, since his career high is 12 and he's had more than 7 only 3 times in his career

He has played in a pass happy era, but he is "only" currently #27 in all time receptions, #39 in all time receiving yards, and #30 in all time receiving TDs. He has 4 Pro Bowl selections, the last in 2004, and zero All Pro selections. He has played in one more playoff game since this thread started, and had a very good game (10/135/0). He is 32.

Is there anyone here who still thinks he's going to make the HOF?

Interesting to go back through this thread. Since it was started, Ward has played 2+ seasons:2006: 74/975/6 receiving, 2/30/0 receiving2007: 71/732/7 receiving, 3/11/0 receivingThis year, he has 28/376/5 receiving in 6 games, on pace for 75/1003/13 if he can play all 16 games, which he hasn't done since 2004... and his TDs will likely fall off, since his career high is 12 and he's had more than 7 only 3 times in his careerHe has played in a pass happy era, but he is "only" currently #27 in all time receptions, #39 in all time receiving yards, and #30 in all time receiving TDs. He has 4 Pro Bowl selections, the last in 2004, and zero All Pro selections. He has played in one more playoff game since this thread started, and had a very good game (10/135/0). He is 32.Is there anyone here who still thinks he's going to make the HOF?
He is borderline at best at this point, if you ask me, but I think he will make it. Playing for the Steelers will give him a bump (if he had similar numbers and accomplishments playing for the Cardinals, he wouldn't have a prayer), and his lack of great numbers will be excused since he has played for a team that is not pass happy.

Users who are viewing this thread